10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAA!!!:rofl3:

SMadison29
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
They did. 3 run homer.

5-4 White Sox

Ray Finkle
10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Seriously is this thread really necessary? It's not like he's the only one to make an error in a game before. Should he have caught it? Of course but geez a whole thread on it?

FinsNYanksFan13
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
:boohoo: FINKLE:boohoo:

Ray Finkle
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
:boohoo: FINKLE:boohoo:

LOL oh man.... I'd love to see what you'd say if Robbie Cano makes a big error in the Yankee series. I think the thread is pointless, why start a new thread over one play but whatever.

FaninPatsyLand
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
This thread would normally piss me off, but we're the World Champs. Anything positive that happens from here on is GRAVY.

No worries, YOU guys pulled the greatest choke in sports history. ;)

Roman529
10-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Ohhh man you guys beat me to it...I was thinking Billy Buckner all over again. :eek:

Nappy Roots
10-06-2005, 02:08 AM
LOL oh man.... I'd love to see what you'd say if Robbie Cano makes a big error in the Yankee series. I think the thread is pointless, why start a new thread over one play but whatever.

4 - 1, there isnt a sox-Sox thread

and 4 - 2, that MISTAKE lost them the game...definitly deserves 1

PressCoverage
10-06-2005, 02:13 AM
a tough play, a tough loss... but, doesn't much matter.... as a member of RSN, myself, i'm still objective enough to realize we just don't have the pitching to go very far this postseason... even Schilling has been shakey.... bullpen is largely crap... and no Foulke???... we're in big, big trouble... though, as we proved last year, get the ball rolling with a bit of momentum, and there's no stopping it...

all in all, better to lose to a good hungry White Sox team now then a smarmy Yankees team later... but.... GO ANGELS!!!!

QB2RonnieTD23
10-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Boston Redsox :: 2090 :)

phunwin
10-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Can we stop comparing Graffanino to Buckner? HUGE difference between the two. Buckner's error let in the winning run in game 6 of the World Series, and possibly cost the Red Sox a world championship. (I maintain that Stanley and Schiraldi were far more to blame, as was the fact that NY was simply a better team that year, but I digress.)

Graffanino's error prolonged an inning, and the Red Sox had plenty of chances to get it back. The only similarity is that the ball went between his legs. That's it.

That said, Go Sox. (White, not Red) :)

PressCoverage
10-06-2005, 10:29 AM
correct...people seem to forget: Game 6 1986 was tied before Buckner's whiff... the real culprit was Rich Gedman for not handling the passed ball/wild pitch... that tied the game...

Ray Finkle
10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Can we stop comparing Graffanino to Buckner? HUGE difference between the two. Buckner's error let in the winning run in game 6 of the World Series, and possibly cost the Red Sox a world championship. (I maintain that Stanley and Schiraldi were far more to blame, as was the fact that NY was simply a better team that year, but I digress.)

Graffanino's error prolonged an inning, and the Red Sox had plenty of chances to get it back. The only similarity is that the ball went between his legs. That's it.

That said, Go Sox. (White, not Red) :)

You're correct Phunwin. Plus most people (cough the media cough) forget the fact that the Red Sox were winning in Game 7. And blew that lead. The Mets were a better team. Plus reasonable Red Sox fans blamed the Sox manager more then Buckner because Buckner had bad legs and pretty much EVERY game Buckner was subbed out in late innings for a defensive replacement in Dave Staplenton. Now that the Red Sox won a World Series you'd think that this talk would be over? I guess not.

MikeO
10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
You're correct Phunwin. Plus most people (cough the media cough) forget the fact that the Red Sox were winning in Game 7. And blew that lead. The Mets were a better team.

People will never forget that Game 6. Maybe the greatest single baseball game of all time. When people say..."GAME 6"....it's that one game. And Forget game 7. They had 2 run lead with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 9th inning of Game 6. Talk about the biggest choke job in sports history!:rofl3:

FIN-IN-RI
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Regardless.. Wells hung the breaking ball

Ray Finkle
10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Talk about the biggest choke job in sports history!:rofl3:

Apparently you forgot about the biggest choke job in sports history... and it only happened last year. Boy Mike, you're memory must be really slipping. So I'll remind you that the biggest choke job in sports history is the Yankees in 2004 in the ALCS.

RWhitney014
10-06-2005, 07:58 PM
People will never forget that Game 6. Maybe the greatest single baseball game of all time. When people say..."GAME 6"....it's that one game. And Forget game 7. They had 2 run lead with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 9th inning of Game 6. Talk about the biggest choke job in sports history!:rofl3:

:shakeno:

One game does not a choke job make, as far as a team is concerned. Four, on the other hand...

FinsNYanksFan13
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
There's two kinds of chokes. There's choking away a game and there's choking away a series. The Yankees (yes I admit it and I am a Yankees fan) had the biggest series choke of all time and Boston has had those one game meltdowns numerous times in their history so you could take anyone of their chokes and call them the biggest single game chokes in sports history!

MikeO
10-06-2005, 08:51 PM
:shakeno:

One game does not a choke job make, as far as a team is concerned. Four, on the other hand...

Two run lead, and one strike away from winning your 1st world series in some 70 years at the time isn't a big choke job. :shakeno: LOL, ok whatever!

Ray Finkle
10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Two run lead, and one strike away from winning your 1st world series in some 70 years at the time isn't a big choke job. :shakeno: LOL, ok whatever!

It is a choke job, no doubt about it. However again I stress that in Game 7 the Sox had a lead and again coughed it up. If the Sox won that game no one would have cared about the Buckner play. Everyone thinks the Buckner play cost the Red Sox the World Series when in fact it didn't at all, they still had 1 more game after that the Mets didn't win the WS in 6 games.

I agree with Phunwin that between Stanley and Schiraldi they couldn't get one more strike. Of course there was the whole past ball/wild pitch. The whole Game 6 was just one big choke.

Again I stress that comparing Tony's play to Bill Buckner is absolutely stupid and moronic by the media. I guess they forgot that the Red Sox won last year. I'm sure Tony is going to be run out of town by the media and the fans which is a shame, he was very good for the short time he was with the Sox.... I guess winning the World Series last year isn't good enough for anyone.

FaninPatsyLand
10-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Boston Redsox :: 2090 :)

This coming from a Philadelphia sports fan? :lol:

Talk about the city of losers. Every team that represents that city flat out sucks. Where are the Phillies, by the way?

FinsNYanksFan13
10-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Red Sox fans have to understand this, anytime a ball rolls under a Red Sox players leg Buckner's name is going to be bought up. Doesn't matter whether it's in the ALDS, the World Series, or the first game of the season, that play epitimizes what the Red Sox went through for 86 years more then any other play in the sports history (arguably). It is unfair that Graffanino is being held in the same light as Buckner's play but after that happens to him and the White Sox go on to hit the go ahead 3 run homerun (go ahead for good), people are going to have a bitter taste in their mouth about the play understandably! Yeah the Red Sox had a chance to get back in the game after that but they didn't so at the end of the day that play cost them the game. Red Sox fans have a right to be mad. Their backs are now on the ropes down 2-0 so their pissed of about this current series and that play brought back nearly 20 years of pain (despite the Red Sox winning the World Series last year, that day is still a pain for a lot of Sox fans)!

FaninPatsyLand
10-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Red Sox fans have to understand this, anytime a ball rolls under a Red Sox players leg Buckner's name is going to be bought up. Doesn't matter whether it's in the ALDS, the World Series, or the first game of the season, that play epitimizes what the Red Sox went through for 86 years more then any other play in the sports history (arguably). It is unfair that Graffanino is being held in the same light as Buckner's play but after that happens to him and the White Sox go on to hit the go ahead 3 run homerun (go ahead for good), people are going to have a bitter taste in their mouth about the play understandably! Yeah the Red Sox had a chance to get back in the game after that but they didn't so at the end of the day that play cost them the game. Red Sox fans have a right to be mad. Their backs are now on the ropes down 2-0 so their pissed of about this current series and that play brought back nearly 20 years of pain (despite the Red Sox winning the World Series last year, that day is still a pain for a lot of Sox fans)!

Nice generalization. I'm not pissed off at all, I realized before the playoffs that the Red Sox weren't going to be able to make a run because of pitching. I'm forever grateful for last year, and I'm going to root my *** off tomorrow. If our season ends, so be it. The Dolphins have First Place to defend on Sunday, and I have a 12 Disc DVD of the playoffs last year for the long winter.

RWhitney014
10-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Eh, I was just stealing your smiley.

The point is, there was still another game. Had they won, no one remembers Bill Buckner. But as far as I know, he didn't lose Game 7. The Yanks lost games 4, 5, 6, and 7 as a team, not just one player. To me, that's a bigger choke.

FIN-IN-RI
10-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Wells hanging curve cost us the game, regardless of the offensive ineptitude in the later innings.. I see where your comming from though.

Graffanino's hustle double in the ninth was instant redemption, for me at least. Graffanino, while his tenure has been short is becoming a favorite player of mine.

SMadison29
10-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Seriously is this thread really necessary? It's not like he's the only one to make an error in a game before. Should he have caught it? Of course but geez a whole thread on it?

Should he have fielded it? As slow as it was rolling he could have fielded it bare handed. This thread obviously has credence or their wouldn't be 2 pages of replies. Also, this is a messege board, you talk about these kind of things. You must be at home like :baghead: I feel your pain though, being a Cubs fan n all.

dob72
10-07-2005, 02:02 AM
the yanks were what two outs from sweeping the series last year thats the biggest choke of all time

Roman529
10-07-2005, 02:49 AM
This coming from a Philadelphia sports fan? :lol:

Talk about the city of losers. Every team that represents that city flat out sucks. Where are the Phillies, by the way?

Umm, your Celtics and Bruins haven't had much to shout about....BURP, oops that was my Philly cheesesteak coming up. :lol:

FaninPatsyLand
10-07-2005, 02:59 AM
Umm, your Celtics and Bruins haven't had much to shout about....BURP, oops that was my Philly cheesesteak coming up. :lol:

At least the Celtics have been to a championship in what, the past 30 years? :rofl3:

And the 76'ers? :lol: That Webber trade really worked out. Couldn't even overtake a very young Celtics team for the Atlantic title. Not gonna get easier this year with Jefferson having a year under his belt. Green could be something special, West, Allen, Perkins.. they own the Sixers. (Although I do have lots of love for Samuel Dalembert, being a Seton Hall product)

Philadelphia -- the city of pathetic franchises. Fans who support any of those teams should be the last people on earth ripping on the Red Sox (Not directed at you Roman, although I know your a Phillies fan). It's asinine

Ray Finkle
10-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Should he have fielded it? As slow as it was rolling he could have fielded it bare handed. This thread obviously has credence or their wouldn't be 2 pages of replies. Also, this is a messege board, you talk about these kind of things. You must be at home like :baghead: I feel your pain though, being a Cubs fan n all.

I have nothing to hide. The Red Sox won the World Series last year. In fact I was more then happy to not make the playoffs this year if it meant going to war with the guys we had then trading away some of our blue chips prospects (which we haven't had in about 30 years maybe longer).

With you being a Cubs fan I'm sure you get sick of all the Steve Bartman stuff. Well Buckner is the same exact thing. People blame Bartman and Buckner for their teams losses. However the truth of the matter if BOTH the Sox and Cubs were up in Game 6 with leads and blew it. Blaming one guy for either side is nuts. Both teams had another game to fall back on too. Of course since the Red Sox won last year you'd think all the Curse/Buckner/Bucky Dent/Aaron Boone talk would go away I guess not....

Roman529
10-07-2005, 11:32 PM
At least the Celtics have been to a championship in what, the past 30 years? :rofl3:

And the 76'ers? :lol: That Webber trade really worked out. Couldn't even overtake a very young Celtics team for the Atlantic title. Not gonna get easier this year with Jefferson having a year under his belt. Green could be something special, West, Allen, Perkins.. they own the Sixers. (Although I do have lots of love for Samuel Dalembert, being a Seton Hall product)

Philadelphia -- the city of pathetic franchises. Fans who support any of those teams should be the last people on earth ripping on the Red Sox (Not directed at you Roman, although I know your a Phillies fan). It's asinine

The Sixers are gonna be tough with AI, and high school player of the year Louis Williams at the other G spot, Iggy and C-Webb at the Forward spots, and Sam at Center..we gonna roll. My Flyers will also rule as we got Forsberg. :)

SMadison29
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
People blame Bartman and Buckner for their teams losses. However the truth of the matter if BOTH the Sox and Cubs were up in Game 6 with leads and blew it. Blaming one guy for either side is nuts.

Actually I have no blame to give to Bartman, it's towards SS Alex Gonzalez. The next batter hit a routine double play grounder to Gonzalez & he booted it. That cost us the game in the top of the 8th.

RWhitney014
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Actually I have no blame to give to Bartman, it's towards SS Alex Gonzalez. The next batter hit a routine double play grounder to Gonzalez & he booted it. That cost us the game in the top of the 8th.

That, and Prior walking Castillo, and the pen giving up hits to Pudge, D-Lee, Mordy, and Inky...and Wood for blowing his 3 run lead that he gave himself in Game 7...

...I will never, EVER, EVER forget some Cubs fan singing "We Are The Champions" before Game 6.