PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 guitarists of all time

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 05:52 PM
No argueing...this is everybodys own opinion what is your list of the top 10 guitarists of all time :D

1. Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot, Ozzy)
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV)
3. Eric Clapton (The Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes)
4. Jimmy Page (The Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin)
5. Neal Schon (Journey)
6. Carlos Santana (Everything)
7. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
8. Joe Satriani (Soloist)
9. Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
10. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)

dolfan_101
10-08-2005, 06:00 PM
These are my top ten in no particular order...

Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Santana
Angus Young
David Gilmour
Randy Rhodes
Eric Clapton
Brian May
Neal Schon

The Spirit Award...
Steve Miller ( gotta' love 'em )

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 06:02 PM
These are my top ten in no particular order...

Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Santana
Angus Young
David Gilmour
Randy Rhodes
Eric Clapton
Brian May
Neal Schon

The Spirit Award...
Steve Miller ( gotta' love 'em )
Get aim man i wanna send some stuff i just recorded recently

www.aim.com (http://www.aim.com)

and my screen name is Totallybudd :D

Also i love your list...its hard to narrow it down to 10 i would of loved to put may and young in mine but i didnt have the room

4evaFinz
10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Top ten of all time, that is tough...

Page
Hendrix
Rhodes
Clapton
Halen
Santana
Satriani

They are all definates... others it is hard to say...

Dare I say Slash from Guns'n'Roses/Velvet Revolver?

MischiefDolphin
10-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Hendrix (a must on anyone's list)
Clapton
Trey Anastasio
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughn
David Gilmour
Townsed

TJamesW_phinfan
10-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Eric Clapton
Eddie van Halen
Eric Johnson
Pat Metheny
Randy Rhodes
Joe Satriani
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Angus Young
Al Di Meola
Mark Knopfler

Honorable mention Chet Atkins

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Eric Clapton
Eddie van Halen
Eric Johnson
Pat Metheny
Randy Rhodes
Joe Satriani
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Angus Young
Al Di Meola
Mark Knopfler

Honorable mention Chet Atkins

No hendrix...smart man :D

Jt0323
10-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Jimi Hendrix is my favorite

TJamesW_phinfan
10-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Hendrix was a talented fellow and I respect his accomplishments and influence on the art. I just can't list him among my favorites by personal preference.
:)

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Hendrix was a talented fellow and I respect his accomplishments and influence on the art. I just can't list him among my favorites by personal preference.
:)

Well said :D

spydertl79
10-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Hendrix- his national anthem did it for me

Fin Fan in Cali
10-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
BB King
Gary Moore
David Gilmour

Fin Fan in Cali
10-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
BB King
Gary Moore
David GilmourI put Mr. Hendrix down, due to the fact if you listen to Mr. Stevie Ray, you can hear Jimi all over again, with great pride! A lot of respect for Jimi, from Stevie!

Fin Fan in Cali
10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Randy Rhodes
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
BB King
Gary Moore
David Gilmourfor those of you who have not heard of Gary Moore, you must give him a listen. He started out with Thin Lizzy, and the late great Phil Lynott. Gary can shred with the best of them, and play with great feeling in the blues. Give him a listen you will be a fan for life!:)

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
I put Mr. Hendrix down, due to the fact if you listen to Mr. Stevie Ray, you can hear Jimi all over again, with great pride! A lot of respect for Jimi, from Stevie!

SRV >>> Jimi :lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Hendrix- his national anthem did it for meBuy that man a beer!:beerbang:

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Hendrix- his national anthem did it for me

Considering it was done in the 60s i'll give him that...but still

My opinion states Me >>> Jimi :D

Fin Fan in Cali
10-08-2005, 10:54 PM
SRV >>> Jimi :lol:Your right Bro, just an extension of each other!

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Your right Bro, just an extension of each other!

I like jimi dont get me wrong but i get tired of hearing people say hes the best when they can only name what jimis done great and not what hes done bad :lol:

Yes these hits were great

Purple Haze
Foxey Lady
The Wind Cries Mary
Voodoo Chile
All Along the Watchtower
Little Wing

But the thing about jimi is yes in those songs he shows emotion thats touched by few but thats the thing about jimi...not everything he did had the emotion as these songs. To me what he did was great but considered amazing cause of the time period but people that dont really know guitar think jimi was a great guitarist...the fact of the matter as a guitarist he wasnt, His mentor Curtis Knight taught him most of what he knew. 95% of everything he did on stage he mimiced from other guitarists. Also his mentor Curtis Knight, showed him up on stage numerous times and Jimi was never able to upstage him.

Heres a lil slap in the face for all you jimi fans too...how comes you never see his forehead? Cause he always has his afro over it or a head band??? Yes but the reason why is cause he cut his forehead and put many and i mean many hits of acid on it before every show. Take away the drugs and you can take away jimi folks!

Heres another thing...jimi told the world that the reason he dropped out of the army is cause when parachutting he broke his leg...well that was false his leg was never broken. He told the army he was gay and at the time they didnt want to have that kind of publicity so they just gave him an honorable discharge.

:D

Pagan
10-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Considering it was done in the 60s i'll give him that...but still

My opinion states Me >>> Jimi :D
You're kidding, right? No offense Budd, but if at 16 you think you're a better guitarist than Hendrix, my opinion of you as a musician has just gone down the tubes. That was an awfully cocky thing to state. :shakeno:

I've heard your stuff. You're decent enough for 16 years old, but slow your roll bro. You ain't Hendrix. It's fine and dandy that you can sit there and mimic other player's styles and licks, but let's see what you come up with as a writer yourself before we start crowning you a guitar god, k?

Don't take this like I'm bashing you, cause I'm not. I'd just refrain from going into any forum that contains musicians and stating that you're better than Hendrix if I was you.

You'll have two sphincters to crap from by the time they're through with you. :lol:

Aside from the fact that once a player feels he's that good, he never gets any better. ;)

My list would be, in no particular order....

~ Allan Holdsworth
~ Robert Fripp
~ John McLaughlin
~ Yngwie Malmsteen
~ Michael Romeo
~ Hendrix / Stevie Ray (gotta make them tied :lol: )
~ Akira Takasaki
~ Eddie Van Halen
~ Steve Vai
~ Nuno Bettencourt

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 11:14 PM
You're kidding, right? No offense Budd, but if at 16 you think you're a better guitarist than Hendrix, my opinion of you as a musician has just gone down the tubes. That was an awfully cocky thing to state. :shakeno:

I've heard your stuff. You're decent enough for 16 years old, but slow your roll bro. You ain't Hendrix. It's fine and dandy that you can sit there and mimic other player's styles and licks, but let's see what you come up with as a writer yourself before we start crowning you a guitar god, k?

Don't take this like I'm bashing you, cause I'm not. I'd just refrain from going into any forum that contains musicians and stating that you're better than Hendrix if I was you.

You'll have two sphincters to crap from by the time they're through with you. :lol:

Aside from the fact that once a player feels he's that good, he never gets any better. ;)

~ Allan Holdsworth
~ Robert Fripp
~ John McLaughlin
~ Yngwie Malmsteen
~ Michael Romeo
~ Akira Takasaki
~ Eddie Van Halen
~ Steve Vai
~ Nuno Bettencourt

It was more of a slap in jimis face then anything...i like my style better than jimis thats all anyway...you heard me play about 4-5 monthes ago i've gotten 2-3 times better dude :D Also i do write my own stuff now

Also i thought you hated yngwie...and damn i cant believe i forgot vai ughh

kastofsna120
10-08-2005, 11:19 PM
hendrix wrote some great stuff. overrated as an actual guitar player, though. jason becker blows them all out of the water

Pagan
10-08-2005, 11:22 PM
It was more of a slap in jimis face then anything...i like my style better than jimis thats all anyway...
I know what it was bro....and it's kind of like a rookie LB coming into the NFL and saying he's better than Ray Lewis. ;)

you heard me play about 4-5 monthes ago i've gotten 2-3 times better dude :D Also i do write my own stuff now
Lemme hear it and I'll let you know if you're 2-3 times better. Not saying you're like this, but I've had guys send me audition tapes who thought they were the next best thing to sliced bread on the guitar...well, at least they thought so. ;)

Also i thought you hated yngwie...and damn i cant believe i forgot vai ughh
No, I hate Yngwie personally. He's a dick. Can't take anything away from his playing though.

I would have put my own guitarist Gregg on the list, but since no one knows him....:lol:

Now there's a man who can structure a solo! :up:

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I know what it was bro....and it's kind of like a rookie LB coming into the NFL and saying he's better than Ray Lewis. ;)

Lemme hear it and I'll let you know if you're 2-3 times better. Not saying you're like this, but I've had guys send me audition tapes who thought they were the next best thing to sliced bread on the guitar...well, at least they thought so. ;)

No, I hate Yngwie personally. He's a dick. Can't take anything away from his playing though.

I would have put my own guitarist Gregg on the list, but since no one knows him....:lol:

Now there's a man who can structure a solo! :up:
Yeah i gotta hear greg play maybe even talk to him bout guitar sometime...Knowledge wise im a ****** i know no Music Theory what so ever. But i just can play pretty good. I guess you dont have aim so whats your email and i'll send ya something i wrote, my friends did the rhythm in it

GreenMonster
10-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Top ten of all time, that is tough...

Page
Hendrix
Rhodes
Clapton
Halen
Santana
Satriani

They are all definates... others it is hard to say...

Dare I say Slash from Guns'n'Roses/Velvet Revolver?

I love Slash.. He will never be in any top 10 list because he is not the fastest or most techinal player, but some of his chords are great. Slash will always be in high regard in my book..

Buddwalk
10-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I love Slash.. He will never be in any top 10 list because he is not the fastest or most techinal player, but some of his chords are great. Slash will always be in high regard in my book..

I like slash but i've heard from numerous people hes horrible live

BlitPhinFan
10-08-2005, 11:39 PM

~ Allan Holdsworth
~ Robert Fripp
~ John McLaughlin
~ Yngwie Malmsteen
~ Michael Romeo
~ Akira Takasaki
~ Eddie Van Halen
~ Steve Vai
~ Nuno Bettencourt

Thank you Pagan! I am glad I am not the only one who rates Yngwie J Malmsteen among their top 10! Dick or not... he is still a great guitarist, good of you to put personal bias aside. I am glad I read down the thread before tossing his name out there as not being mentioned..

GreenMonster
10-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I like slash but i've heard from numerous people hes horrible live

Well when he was in GNR, remember he was constantly drunk 99% of the time. That could have something to do with it..

Fin Fan in Cali
10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Honorable mention, Glenn Tipton, and K.K Downing of course from Judas Priest! You could throw in the boys from Queensryche as well, Degarmo, and Wilton.

Fin Fan in Cali
10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Well when he was in GNR, remember he was constantly drunk 99% of the time. That could have something to do with it..I think Slash was always drunk to deal with Mr. @sshole, Axl!

Blitz
10-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Gilmour and Page are my favorite guitarists, but Hendrix is probably the greatest of all-time.

Roman529
10-09-2005, 01:59 AM
I am not sure I can name 10, but here are my favorites...not saying the greatest ones but guys I like:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan
2. Eric Clapton
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Randy Rhodes
5. Eddie Van Halen
6. The oldest Allman brother who died.
7. Satriani (Surfing the Alien rocks!!!).
8. Santana (Carlos still can do it).
9. Lindsay Buckingham
10. Charo (she plays a mean Spanish guitar,,,koo chee koo chee). :lol:

Roman529
10-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I am not sure I can name 10, but here are my favorites...not saying the greatest ones but guys I like:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan
2. Eric Clapton
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Randy Rhodes
5. Eddie Van Halen
6. The oldest Allman brother who died.
7. Satriani (Surfing the Alien rocks!!!).
8. Santana (Carlos still can do it).
9. Lindsay Buckingham
10. Charo (she plays a mean Spanish guitar,,,koo chee koo chee). :lol:

OH wait I forgot Jimmy Page. :)

MischiefDolphin
10-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Damn I forgot Santana who is my second favorite (for now anyway... it changes a lot) right after Trey (who is always my fav.)

Oh.. Allman is on my list as well.

Buddwalk
10-09-2005, 04:12 AM
My top 25 would look a lot better than the top 10 cause you'd see many guitarists that deserved top 10 but are in 25. Jimis bout 18 on my list

Pagan
10-09-2005, 07:56 AM
You could throw in the boys from Queensryche as well, Degarmo, and Wilton.
DeGarmo more than Wilton, and nice choice! I'm in the process of putting together a side project...a Queensryche tribute band. DeGarmo is a GREAT songwriter!

MarinoIsKeen
10-09-2005, 08:30 AM
No mention of The Edge?

Quelonio
10-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Mike Bloomfield anyone???? B.B. King???

4evaFinz
10-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Mike Bloomfield anyone???? B.B. King???

Yeah, I forgot the B.B.

Fin Fan in Cali
10-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Mike Bloomfield anyone???? B.B. King???I had B.B. King. The one that was left off my list that could be on there is Tommy Iommi!

spydertl79
10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
It's really hard to rate "best guitarist" because there are so many different types of rock. SOme1 might be an amazing blues guitarist or great at playing spanish guitar but if you don't like their style then u wouldn't rate them high.

Example: B.B. King, Carlos Santana, and Hendrix are all GREAT but it's impossible to compare them.

Buddwalk
10-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I had B.B. King. The one that was left off my list that could be on there is Tommy Iommi!

I love iommi as a song writer but thats not whats this list was about. Also BB King was a killer blues guitarist and maybe the best...but overall as a guitarists top 10 is a stretch...top 25 for sure though

Pagan
10-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I love iommi as a song writer but thats not whats this list was about. Also BB King was a killer blues guitarist and maybe the best...but overall as a guitarists top 10 is a stretch...top 25 for sure though
You keep forgetting to say "in my opinion". ;)

Buddwalk
10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
You keep forgetting to say "in my opinion". ;)

Didnt forget just knew you'd say it for me ;)

MischiefDolphin
10-10-2005, 01:51 AM
I must be the only one who likes Trey.

kastofsna120
10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1938099378022643751&q=guitar

d-day
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1938099378022643751&q=guitar

solos like that make me... :sleep: - i'll take jimi's solo in all along the watchtower over that any day of the week...

kastofsna120
10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
i don't like solos period, but that guy clearly has incredible talent

Buddwalk
10-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Using a charvel :D that guy in the video i mean