PDA

View Full Version : work out plans

Doktor Ivel
10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
what is a good workout plan for someone trying to improve their 40 time?
i need some excercises to make me faster, more explosive, and be able to jump higher..
thanx

GreenMonster
10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Whe I was in Highschool, I worked at a place that had a gym with sports trainers. Since I worked at the complex everyday, I got free training while I worked there for basketball. I did alot of work with rubberbands, resistence, weights. For speed I did sprints with the rubber band hooked up along with lateral left to right. I also wore a weight jacket for almost every drill. Sometimes I would use ankle weights and the box to jump higher. Along with a new diet, these guys got me in the best shape of my life. I could jump out of the gym after a couple of months of that weight jacket, the high box, and the rubberbands..

Timmy54
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
wind sprints with a parachuet, also resistance training and sled draging work. for jumps, ankle weights are the best i know of.

Doktor Ivel
10-10-2005, 06:46 PM
are ankle weights hard on your knees?

Amars
10-10-2005, 06:51 PM
wind sprints with a parachuet, also resistance training and sled draging work. for jumps, ankle weights are the best i know of.

This is what I've seen college players use.

Caps
10-10-2005, 06:54 PM
In addition to what everyone else has said, work on your flexibility. Never be satisfied with your level of flexibility either, if you can touch your toes, work on touching them with your wrists, and so on.

Buddwalk
10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
what is a good workout plan for someone trying to improve their 40 time?
i need some excercises to make me faster, more explosive, and be able to jump higher..
thanx
Whats with you man your so worried bout getting taller, faster, blah blah blah. Who cares heres something for you if your really truely into actually playing football in the nfl one day. Work out at the gym 3 hours a day 5 days a week. Then the days your not working run about 5-10 miles each day. Im serious speed is great but if you have no endurance what does it matter

backpacker
10-10-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure on how to improve your 40 times, but take a look at this smilie to pass some time. :emjai:

Sorry...I had to.

mor911
10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
The Mor just does his 8 minute abs and calls it a day :mor911:

NJFINSFAN1
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Run from them!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/police-1.jpg

jnewmant
10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
get yourself an old 265/75/r16 tire and tie a rope to it and run about 15 forty yard dashes a day. You will not believe how explosive this makes your first step, and try to talk your dad into buying you a logging chain, you know one of the ones with the real heavy links and wrap them around the ends of the bar when you do your squats. As you come up you pull more weight and this also causes you to become more explosive. I'll bill you at the end of the month

Doktor Ivel
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
get yourself an old 265/75/r16 tire and tie a rope to it and run about 15 forty yard dashes a day. You will not believe how explosive this makes your first step, and try to talk your dad into buying you a logging chain, you know one of the ones with the real heavy links and wrap them around the ends of the bar when you do your squats. As you come up you pull more weight and this also causes you to become more explosive. I'll bill you at the end of the month
thanks alot. i still dont get what your trying to say about the chain. could you please explain it to me?

jnewmant
10-10-2005, 10:00 PM
thanks alot. i still dont get what your trying to say about the chain. could you please explain it to me?ok you get a 2 heavy chains and wrap each one around each end of your squat bar and as you rise with the weight on your back the big chain lifts up off the ground and adds weight to the bar so you have to explode through your lift in order to get all the way up

Doktor Ivel
10-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I have never officially ran the 40 time, but when I did it with my friend, before the season started I was at like 5.4, I am now midway through the season, i feel faster, i will have to run it officially, before i start the training for next season

dolfan_101
10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I have never officially ran the 40 time, but when I did it with my friend, before the season started I was at like 5.4, I am now midway through the season, i feel faster, i will have to run it officially, before i start the training for next season

How big are you??? I am 5'10 119 and super speedy, so when the coach needs a speed reciever i am there. I am not sure about my 40 time, but i ran the 100 meter in 12.1 seconds lst year. But since football i bet i could run that in the mid 11's. I run at least a mile everyday. And on the week ends i work a little with weights, and play basketball.

Doktor Ivel
10-11-2005, 10:31 AM
How big are you??? I am 5'10 119 and super speedy, so when the coach needs a speed reciever i am there. I am not sure about my 40 time, but i ran the 100 meter in 12.1 seconds lst year. But since football i bet i could run that in the mid 11's. I run at least a mile everyday. And on the week ends i work a little with weights, and play basketball.
5'11'' 160, it's mainly mmuscel, I dont have much fat. i can lift a lot (for my size) i squat 310lbs. but i'm just not fast, i think i run flat footed.

dolfan_101
10-13-2005, 12:25 AM
5'11'' 160, it's mainly mmuscel, I dont have much fat. i can lift a lot (for my size) i squat 310lbs. but i'm just not fast, i think i run flat footed.

I am only 3% body fat, so i am almost all muscle. I am not sure what i can lift though haven't lifted since football started.

jnewmant
10-13-2005, 12:42 AM
when i was playing i was 205 at about 4% bf but i did some bodybuilding also so that helped me keep my weight down

Buddwalk
10-13-2005, 12:44 AM

Whats your 40 time... I run a 4.58 and im 5''5 121lbs. All muscle, no fat!

I've always been lightning quick though...but my problem is i got no endurance, kills me on the mile

mor911
10-13-2005, 07:34 AM

I've always been lightning quick though...but my problem is i got no endurance, kills me on the mile
Ok Budd... The Mor loves yah. But it's kinda hard to believe you run a 4.58...

--ESPN on Mike Williams in the Draft--
Ex-Trojan runs 4.59, 4.61 40s; still likely first-rounder

Williams, who on Friday said he was "going to bet the farm" that he would run under 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash drill that is a key part of the standard workout at the predraft combine sessions, better get ready to turn over the deed to the barn.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2001470

Budd should go to the combine and play in the NFL. :rofl3:

Buddwalk
10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Ok Budd... The Mor loves yah. But it's kinda hard to believe you run a 4.58...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2001470

Budd should go to the combine and play in the NFL. :rofl3:

Dude im way too short to play any competitive football i'd get killed. See mor heres the thing its not really that impressive for me cause i weigh like 120 lbs. If i weighed 240 lbs. and just ran a 4.3 40 then please bow to me but otherwise its nothing big. I ran track 2 years at carlisle and was pretty good too. Now I ran that time over a year ago and i've put on some pounds probobly 10 lbs. over that time and really havnt been active outside in a long time. But I could guarentee a time under 5 :D

A Wing Pilot
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Heres what I've instructed others to do or done myself when i was in your position.

1. Join track and feild team. Coaches will help with sprint and technique as well as endurance running, youdon't need to be varsity just enough to practice every day will make a world of difference.

2. Increase your calf muscle strength. Use these shoes designed for basketball players. Do all the drills espcially 50 yard dashes they really help you stop running flat footed, in just blow up your vertical leap (mine went from about 12 inches to.. well lets just say i could dunk with style) I can't tell you what a great investment these were for me in highschool.
http://www.hoopskills.com/jumping/strengthshoes.html

3. Calf raises all the time. Push of your toes and flex your calfs at least 150 times a day. While your standing in line, while your sitting in english class, whenever your feet are idle.

STAY AWAY FROM ANKLE WEIGHTS.... creates too many problems unless you are WITH a trainer. Parachutes are not needed at your age although a belt with some long rope and a LIGHT weight will serve the same purpose.

While I'm at it do writs curls to improve your snap ability, weight ona rope on a stick curl the weight up then releas eit slowly changing hand postions. If you don't understand ask a pitcher or baseball player they will show you.

and finally REPETITION REPETITION REPETITION. keep working hard at least 3-5 days a week, give your body time to heal and rest!!!

Its in your best interest to ask your parents to hire a sports trainer for you for a gift and work with a certified professional, for that matter if there is a local college go speak with the coach and ask if you can work out with them , try to go to a national football camp, STUDY STUDY STUDY scool stuff and football int that order

Doktor Ivel
10-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Heres what I've instructed others to do or done myself when i was in your position.

1. Join track and feild team. Coaches will help with sprint and technique as well as endurance running, youdon't need to be varsity just enough to practice every day will make a world of difference.

2. Increase your calf muscle strength. Use these shoes designed for basketball players. Do all the drills espcially 50 yard dashes they really help you stop running flat footed, in just blow up your vertical leap (mine went from about 12 inches to.. well lets just say i could dunk with style) I can't tell you what a great investment these were for me in highschool.
http://www.hoopskills.com/jumping/strengthshoes.html

3. Calf raises all the time. Push of your toes and flex your calfs at least 150 times a day. While your standing in line, while your sitting in english class, whenever your feet are idle.

STAY AWAY FROM ANKLE WEIGHTS.... creates too many problems unless you are WITH a trainer. Parachutes are not needed at your age although a belt with some long rope and a LIGHT weight will serve the same purpose.

While I'm at it do writs curls to improve your snap ability, weight ona rope on a stick curl the weight up then releas eit slowly changing hand postions. If you don't understand ask a pitcher or baseball player they will show you.

and finally REPETITION REPETITION REPETITION. keep working hard at least 3-5 days a week, give your body time to heal and rest!!!

Its in your best interest to ask your parents to hire a sports trainer for you for a gift and work with a certified professional, for that matter if there is a local college go speak with the coach and ask if you can work out with them , try to go to a national football camp, STUDY STUDY STUDY scool stuff and football int that order
thanks you helped alot:)

Prime
10-13-2005, 09:56 PM

Sorry, but i highly doubt that you can run that fast.

Buddwalk
10-13-2005, 09:58 PM

doubting and knowing are two different things...I'll show kevin and nub then how fast i am ok :D

Doktor Ivel
10-14-2005, 10:48 AM
doubting and knowing are two different things...I'll show kevin and nub then how fast i am ok :D
how r u going to do that?

Buddwalk
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
how r u going to do that?

They live so close to me...we'll play a game of football eventually :D

byroan
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Why? I ran a 4.6 in HS.

I probably run a 6.0 now though. :lol:

Buddwalk
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Why? I ran a 4.6 in HS.
He says it cause he thinks only super star athletes can run it. Dude im a natural runner and im very small so gives me big bonuses :D . We got this kid in our school Shaun Wagner running a 4.3 40 at Northeastern. Kids lightning quick and the best thing he has over me is serious endurance

Prime
10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
He says it cause he thinks only super star athletes can run it. Dude im a natural runner and im very small so gives me big bonuses :D . We got this kid in our school Shaun Wagner running a 4.3 40 at Northeastern. Kids lightning quick and the best thing he has over me is serious endurance

Where did i say that only superstars could do that? I wouldn't expect for a dude who doesn't play football or run track to run that fast. Do you like to run alot or something like that?

Buddwalk
10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Where did i say that only superstars could do that? I wouldn't expect for a dude who doesn't play football or run track to run that fast. Do you like to run alot or something like that?

Did you miss where i said i ran track for 2 years. 7th and 8th grade at carlisle and i was pretty good too :D

Prime
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Why? I ran a 4.6 in HS.

I probably run a 6.0 now though. :lol:

Damn. I need to figure out how fast i can run because i know that i have some wheels on me.

Prime
10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Did you miss where i said i ran track for 2 years. 7th and 8th grade at carlisle and i was pretty good too :D

:smackhead

I guess i did. :lol:

Do you still run alot?

Buddwalk
10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Damn. I need to figure out how fast i can run because i know that i have some wheels on me.

how tall and how much you weigh?

Buddwalk
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
:smackhead

I guess i did. :lol:

Do you still run alot?

Actually no i dont...Since i picked up guitar i've been consuming my time into that. I havnt ran in 2 years on a track i mean. But im still quick but probobly not as good enough for the track team anymore, I'd have to work at it

Prime
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
how tall and how much you weigh?

I am about 5'8 and i weigh in the range of 120-125. I am a small dude, but i am getting ready to fix that.

byroan
10-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Get a running parachute and run with it. It will be hard at first but you'll be able to run easier with it as you keep using it. After awhile, when you don't run with the parachute on, you'll be a lot faster. Also run in a pool if you can during the spring/summer. Or an indoor pool now. :lol:

dol_fan_81
10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
have you tried uphill running or running up stairs 2 at a time? stepping machines and sloped treadmills are great, i use them and i'm pretty quick and very agile :up: