Merger

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/18/news_6122418.html

Predaphin
10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
is this a good thing or a bad thing

Fudge 101
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
is this a good thing or a bad thing

Believe it or not, it happened about 6 months ago but it just recently finalized. I believe they are not setting it in until after the holiday season, but i could be wrong. I personally think thats its bad simply because the competition is almost eliminated making it nearly a monopoly on what they sell. Hopefully the major retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City...etc) will keep them in check to make sure the MSRP stays that way.

Predaphin
10-13-2005, 08:00 PM
I see. Thanks, I'm a regular at my lo0cal EBgames....I'm content with their used games prices and policy, but they still give peanuts for your trade-in's!

Fudge 101
10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
They all do it sad. Theres no point in trading sports games, cuz they wont ever give money for them. Sometimes youll get lucky but the games they pay the most for are the ones they need the most. That usually means the replay value of that game is so high that no one is trading it in yet because its still fun. Its crazy how they get away with the scam too. Think about it. They give you all of like 7 dollars at most for a game. But thats really store credit. So they are really giving you like what two maybe three dollars depending on what you buy. Then, like there is anything in the store to buy with that credit, so you have to buy something else to use it. So if you buy a video game, you just threw more money into them to continue the cycle. Its amazing how they pull that off...

Agent51
10-14-2005, 11:15 AM
They all do it sad. Theres no point in trading sports games, cuz they wont ever give money for them. Sometimes youll get lucky but the games they pay the most for are the ones they need the most. That usually means the replay value of that game is so high that no one is trading it in yet because its still fun. Its crazy how they get away with the scam too. Think about it. They give you all of like 7 dollars at most for a game. But thats really store credit. So they are really giving you like what two maybe three dollars depending on what you buy. Then, like there is anything in the store to buy with that credit, so you have to buy something else to use it. So if you buy a video game, you just threw more money into them to continue the cycle. Its amazing how they pull that off...

I know huh? Its like we spend $50 on a game, trade it in for MAYBE $6, then its store credit so basically you gave them a game for free and spend almost $50 more on a new game, I sure wish I though of that business idea. I think the MOST I have EVER gotten for trade in value was $22, I can't remember which game it was though. I remember I went to trade in my first SOCOM game, the original one that came in the box with the headset and they offered me $32 for it, so I was pretty happy, but I had no cash on me and the game I wanted was $50, and I had more games at home that I forgot, so I told em I'd be back the next day with more games. So I go back the next day and they offer me $18 for SOCOM, I'm like, uh, WTF? YESTERDAY it was $32!!!! They guy was just like "oh, well, I can give you $18" This wasn't an EB or Gamestop, it was a local store. It's run by these two complete gamer nerds, I mean your CLASSIC shut-in "I never see daylight" gamers. I was so pissed that the one guy said $32 and the NEXT DAY the other dude said $18. If I knew that was gonna happen I would taken store credit that day and not used it til I brought more games the next day, MAN was I pissed.

Fudge 101
10-14-2005, 04:56 PM
thats rough man thats really rough...

byroan
10-14-2005, 05:49 PM
You're better off selling the games on ebay or at a yardsale/flea market then taking it to those gamestores.

Agent51
10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
thats rough man thats really rough...

yea, haven't walked in there since, those jack@sses

JPhinfan86
10-16-2005, 12:48 AM
All that does for us at Gamebrands is consolidate the competition....so I suppose that's good. :up: RHINO RULES in all cases.