PDA

View Full Version : Should you be able to be a fan of a cteam OUTSIDE your city/state/country?

unifiedtheory
10-16-2005, 12:47 AM
There is currently a REDICULOUS debate going on in the college football forum that I thought I'd bring to the table here.

One of our "esteemed" posters is going on and on and on about how people who are fans of teams outside their state/city/country are not "sticking to their roots" and are "lame".

I'm an A's/Bruins/Dolphins fan and I've been told by this person that I am "just randomly picking teams".

So, you guys tell me. Is it wrong to be a fan of teams outside your market?

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 12:55 AM
There is currently a REDICULOUS debate going on in the college football forum that I thought I'd bring to the table here.

One of our "esteemed" posters is going on and on and on about how people who are fans of teams outside their state/city/country are not "sticking to their roots" and are "lame".

I'm an A's/Bruins/Dolphins fan and I've been told by this person that I am "just randomly picking teams".

Please tell me it will become your newest Worst. The cardinals didn't even play here when I started watching football. What's lamer? Being a fan of a team outside of your city or dropping your team in favor of the new local team? Especially if that new team is the cards. And what is his suggestion for when a person moves? Switch loyalty? I am moving to Toronto in a year. Should I suddenly become an Argonauts fan? That guy can STFU.

unifiedtheory
10-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Please tell me it will become your newest Worst. The cardinals didn't even play here when I started watching football. What's lamer? Being a fan of a team outside of your city or dropping your team in favor of the new local team? Especially if that new team is the cards. And what is his suggestion for when a person moves? Switch loyalty? I am moving to Toronto in a year. Should I suddenly become an Argonauts fan? That guy can STFU.

I really wanted to make it my "worst thread of the week" but it was a good thread until it went bad.

FaninPatsyLand
10-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I'd be interested in finding out the percentage of out of state Dolphin fans on this message board...

I can't believe this guy.

unifiedtheory
10-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I'd be interested in finding out the percentage of out of state Dolphin fans on this message board...

I can't believe this guy.

I wanted to put a poll with this thread...woulda shoulda...

ABrownLamp
10-16-2005, 01:02 AM
For pros it is totally acceptable.
For instance when players I like switch teams in the NBA I find myself rooting for that team.

But I think rooting for a college team that is (or was) not in your state and that neither you nor your parents, not your siblings attended...yes that is totally stupid.
The only reason people root for a school in that situation is because they are good teams.
Fairweather college fans are a strange breed

ILPhinFan88
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
People always ask me how I became a fan of my teams, since I'm from southern Illinois. I think they were just good teams when I started really following sports and have stayed with them. My roots to my teams are from the late 70's.

Go Dolphins
Go Sixers
Go Dodgers

NaboCane
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM

Some people just get off on conflict; others need it to validate their lonely, pathetic existence - much like the poor souls that need to cut themselves "just to feel something." Anything to keep from having to turn inward and face the giant steaming turd within.

And then, occasionally, you come across someone who is just a complete *******.

Don't let either get you down.

FaninPatsyLand
10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
I wanted to put a poll with this thread...woulda shoulda...

This is extremely insulting. However, you don't have to defend your loyalty to this team. Your posts speak for themselves.. in a positive way of course.

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 01:05 AM
For pros it is totally acceptable.
For instance when players I like switch teams in the NBA I find myself rooting for that team.

But I think rooting for a college team that is not in your state and that neither you nor your parents, not your siblings attended...yes that is totally stupid.
The only reason people root for a school in that situation is because they are good teams.
Fairweather college fans are a strange breed

Yeah but (and this isn't my case) what if you grow up wanting to go to a certain school, rooting for their team, etc. and either don't get in or choose a different path to life (ex.-military)? What's more important, location or loyalty?

ABrownLamp
10-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah but (and this isn't my case) what if you grow up wanting to go to a certain school, rooting for their team, etc. and either don't get in or choose a different path to life (ex.-military)? What's more important, location or loyalty?

I am sure there are other reasonable rationales for rooting for a college team I didn't mention.

I guess my point is rooting for a college for no other reason other than the fact that they are currently good is stupid.

How many of the Duke basketball fans that you know root for their football team?
That is what I am talking about.

Fin Fan in Cali
10-16-2005, 01:20 AM

So, you guys tell me. Is it wrong to be a fan of teams outside your market?Bro who is this poster? I have been a Dolphin fan since 1970. I was born and raised in New York, and I became a Dolphin just to piss off the old man. I have never lived in Florida, and I live in So. Cal. I will be loyal to the day I go down in my box. Bro I think you know it comes from the heart no matter where you live. You could live in Miami, but does that make you a better fan, no, it makes 1 amongst a large group world wide!

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 01:22 AM
"I gwew up wit a bunch of cowboy fands and dey usded to :buttkick: me and dat maded me :cry: . Now I don'ted like anybody that liked udder teams fwom udder cities unless dey moveded to anoder city like me." :boohoo:

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I am sure there are other reasonable rationales for rooting for a college team I didn't mention.

I guess my point is rooting for a college for no other reason other than the fact that they are currently good is stupid.

How many of the Duke basketball fans that you know root for their football team?

I think the same can be said about pro teams. Fairweather fans are rampant in all sports, sadly.

LittlePaulie
10-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I've been a Dolphin fan since day 1 good or Bad. I don't think it matters at all but I've also always been a Yankees,Syracuse (Football and B-ball), Sabres fan. so regional fan of these others.

edit: I don't watch much college football but getting better, and Hockey very rarely. Pro B-ball watch only the finals and go with who has the most heart usually underdog. But I still have my teams and they probably will stick, its a gut thing!

unifiedtheory
10-16-2005, 01:25 AM
"I gwew up wit a bunch of cowboy fands and dey usded to :buttkick: me and dat maded me :cry: . Now I don'ted like anybody that liked udder teams fwom udder cities unless dey moveded to anoder city like me." :boohoo:

:sidelol::tongue2::laugh::lolcry:

byroan
10-16-2005, 01:25 AM

I hate that. They either pull for a great football team, or don't pull for one at all. If you like the school, you should pull for all the teams.

Fin Fan in Cali
10-16-2005, 01:26 AM

So, you guys tell me. Is it wrong to be a fan of teams outside your market?Bro I see who it is, and it doesn't surprise me. I am not a very big fan of his. Like Nabocane said, don't let him get you down. I got to the part of thread where it started, and left it at that.

Fin Fan in Cali
10-16-2005, 01:28 AM
"I gwew up wit a bunch of cowboy fands and dey usded to :buttkick: me and dat maded me :cry: . Now I don'ted like anybody that liked udder teams fwom udder cities unless dey moveded to anoder city like me." :boohoo::rofl3:

FaninPatsyLand
10-16-2005, 01:28 AM

:lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-16-2005, 01:29 AM

So, you guys tell me. Is it wrong to be a fan of teams outside your market?Bro would this poster be one of the posters in your sig, if the mods would of let you?:lol:

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Bro would this poster be one of the posters in your sig, if the mods would of let you?:lol:

He needs to make it the Worst. His last one wasn't horrible until one poster screwed it up. Actually, it could be a contender for worst of the year because of how offensive it was to so many posters on here.

unifiedtheory
10-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Bro would this poster be one of the posters in your sig, if the mods would of let you?:lol:

As much as I would like to do that I think it would open a GIANT can of worms. :)

Fin Fan in Cali
10-16-2005, 01:42 AM
As much as I would like to do that I think it would open a GIANT can of worms. :)I know, don't do it, but we are on the same page of the thought process. He just comes off the wrong way, and isn't making too many friends here. Try to let it go, if you want a good laugh, go to Jimi Hendrix prints here in the lounge, and you will see what I mean.

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 01:49 AM
I know, don't do it, but we are on the same page of the thought process. He just comes off the wrong way, and isn't making too many friends here. Try to let it go, if you want a good laugh, go to Jimi Hendrix prints here in the lounge, and you will see what I mean.

It must suck to have no friends.

GreenMonster
10-16-2005, 02:01 AM
People always ask me how I picked the teams I am a fan of.. Well I grew up in RI, and CT, so I am a huge Red Sox fan. My cousin was a big Dolphins fan and I would watch Marino every Sun. since I was 8. NBA, I am a Bucks fan.. I was never a Celts fan so when Ray Allen came out in the 96' draft whatever team he got drafted by would be my NBA team. Allen has been traded but I still love my Bucks. As far as college it's Uconn all the way baby, I should have gone there with all my friends had I not moved my Senior year of highschool. You can pick any team to like, as long as you stick with them through thick and thin. Many friends called me when the Red Sox won last year because they have known since the day they meet me whether it be 1 year ago or 20 years ago, I am a Red Sox nut.

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 02:04 AM
People always ask me how I picked the teams I am a fan of.. Well I grew up in RI, and CT, so I am a huge Red Sox fan. My cousin was a big Dolphins fan and I would watch Marino every Sun. since I was 8. NBA, I am a Bucks fan.. I was never a Celts fan so when Ray Allen came out in the 96' draft whatever team he got drafted by would be my NBA team. Allen has been traded but I still love my Bucks. As far as college it's Uconn all the way baby, I should have gone there with all my friends had I not moved my Senior year of highschool. You can pick any team to like, as long as you stick with them through thick and thin. Many friends called me when the Red Sox won last year because they have known since the day they meet me whether it be 1 year ago or 20 years ago, I am a Red Sox nut.

As far as I am concerned, you don't have to explain yourself to any-****-body. Fairweather fans suck, but even they have the right to root for anyone they want.

FaninPatsyLand
10-16-2005, 02:10 AM
That whole ND/SC thread is a joke.. talk about being completely asinine.

And you are absolutely right Gonzo, no one has to explain themselves.

GreenMonster
10-16-2005, 02:13 AM
As far as I am concerned, you don't have to explain yourself to any-****-body. Fairweather fans suck, but even they have the right to root for anyone they want.

Agreed. Sticking with teams through thick and thin makes it so much better. People that had ribbed on me since the Buckner play in 86' called me because they knew at the moment the Sox won the World Series I coudn't be any happier.

Jt0323
10-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Well im a Dolphin/Yankee/Bulls (when they had MJ, i loved to watch him)/avalanch fan so i dont care what anyone says you do not have to root for a team just cause hes from ur state, its about the ability to choose what team u want to root for, not just because their in ur state, and if that guy lives in NY and is a jet or giant fan i would lmao b/c the jets play in new jersey theirfore he should be a bills fan

WharfRat
10-16-2005, 10:46 AM

I can name atleast 12 of us that are in NJ......

Quelonio
10-16-2005, 11:03 AM
There are even some that are from Mexico, who also cheer for Pumas UNAM when we watch Mexican College Football, but since we are not getting any pro teams soon, I got to get a team. If the Mexico City Aztecs are ever created, I will have to seriously consider liking them basically because it will be such a demonstration of the advance of the nation, but chances of that happening are very very small....

(and if they open the team in Monterrey then I will most definetely not even consider it)

chrome4
10-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey i am a duke fan because i moved to nc, all my other teams are from miami.

dolphinfan2k5
10-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Yes, I completely agree that you can not be a football fan of a team if you do not live near the team. :rolleyes:

I guess I randomly picked a team at one point when I was about 4 but that doesn't mean that I'm not a real fan now. I've seen almost every Dolphins game for the last 6 years but I guess I should stop watching them and cheering for them and coming to this site just because I don't live in Florida. Oh wait, let me just ask my parents real fast if we can move to Miami so I can be a real fan.

FIN-IN-RI
10-16-2005, 06:48 PM
what a moron :lol:

NaboCane
10-16-2005, 07:01 PM

That'd be an interesting data dump wouldn't it, Wharf? What percentage of members listing a location are from different parts of the country. It could be regional, or by state...don't know if it's even possible.

Gonzo
10-16-2005, 07:14 PM
He is still trying to defend his position :lol:. Funny though, instead of attempting to actually support it, he simply rips on anyone that points out the idiocy of such an idea.

poisonphin
10-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I can name atleast 12 of us that are in NJ......:wave: I live in NJ!

NJFINSFAN1
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Nothing, unless its the Briuns or A's!:rolleyes:

NJFINSFAN1
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM

:couch: (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=10#)

Talos
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I was born in St. Louis but moved to Florida when I was still in elementary school. I first moved to Orlando, and then later to Fort Lauderdale.

I'm a big FSU fan, a Cardinals and Marlins fan, a Dolphins fan, and a Maryland terps basketball fan.

Reasons: FSU - I grew up watching great FSU teams and I actually made a lot of money wagering on FSU games with people from Miami who hated the team. After years of doing that I fell in love with the team and have watched them ever since.

Cardinals - When you live in St. Louis, everyone bleeds Cardinal red. That city lives and dies with its baseball.

Marlins - I've been here since the beginning for this team, and have always rooted for them because they've always been the local underdog.

Dolphins - My dad lived in Florida in the 70's and moved to St. Louis. When I grew up, there wasn't a football team in St. Louis and my dad hated the Cardinals owner so I grew up a Fin fan.

Maryland - My stepmother has two masters degrees from Maryland and is a HUGE Terps fan. I've been to games there, including one the year they won the national title. Being that FSU doens't really have a basketball team worth mentioning and the atmosphere at the Maryland games was so amazing I just loved watching the team play.

Are the teams I like good? Yeah, typically but that doesn't mean I'm a fairweather fan. I've been to Marlins games when they were great, and when they were terrible. I cheer for Maryland no matter how bad they are. And every year Chris Rix was taking snaps for us, I was still rooting for the Noles. It doesn't matter where you're from, you fall in love with a team and from then on, thats all you care about. Region doesn't mean anything.

UCFinfan86
10-17-2005, 01:38 PM
people can root for whoever they want, i mean i always thought you should root for the team were u live or where u r from but there could be other reasons but now i hate now that there are all these Eagles, Patriots, Redsox, and Yankee fans. I bet if the yankees were to go 5 years of winning bout 60 games they would lose atleast half of hteir fanbase. For me

I like

FSU cuz my dad liked Gators so i started liking FSU when i was 5 so we can root against each other. And now i am a senior in High School and really want to go to FSU, if i don't get in thouhg i still will be a FSU fan no matter where i go(prolly UCF)

Uconn cuz i am from CT and moved to FL when i was real young but i still root for Uconn yes Basketball and Football.

Dolphins cuz my dad liked the fins and i grew up watching them, he started liking them when he was a kid cuz thats when they were undeafeted but he stuck with them and now living in FL i would hate if i wasnt a fin fan because i woldnt get to watch everygame of my team and i would prolly be a Pats fan just cuz i was from there.

Redsox cuz again my dad has always liked the Redsox from being in CT

Marlins cuz i started watching baseball when they were getting started and i was able to go to some games

Heat cuz same reason for the marlins

Celtics cuz same reason for the redsox