3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

texas tech may have played the easiest 6 games in the history of college fotball, and i doubt they'll do anything against texas

RAS25
10-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Fresno St. back in the top 25 :cpatch:

Buddwalk
10-16-2005, 06:52 PM
1. USC (57) 6-0
2. Texas (8) 6-0
3. Virginia Tech 6-0
4. Georgia 6-0
5. Alabama 6-0
6. Miami 5-1
7. LSU 4-1
8. UCLA 6-0
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas Tech 6-0
11. Florida State 5-1
12. Penn State 6-1
13. Boston College 6-1
14. Ohio State 4-2
15. Oregon 6-1
16. Auburn 5-1
17. Tennessee 3-2
18. Florida 5-2
19. Wisconsin 6-1
20. West Virginia 6-1
21. TCU 6-1
22. Michigan State 4-2
23. Virginia 4-2
24. Fresno State 4-1
25. California 5-2

miami's the highest ranked 1-loss team :D. here's the top 10 i'd make:

1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

texas tech may have played the easiest 6 games in the history of college fotball, and i doubt they'll do anything against texas

My top 10

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Alabama
4. VA Tech
5. Georgia
6. UCLA
7. Miami
8. Notre Dame
9. LSU
10. Penn State

Philter25
10-16-2005, 08:16 PM
miami's the highest ranked 1-loss team :D. here's the top 10 i'd make:

1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) UCLA
8) Notre Dame
9) Miami
10) Penn State

Personally, I hate the fact USC will be #1 until they lose. Texas and VA Tech get screwed because USC was the preseason #1 and won the championship last year. I dont think they are the team to beat this year. IMO because USC was the preseason #1 they will remain #1 until they lose. I hope they are #3 in the BCS standings.

PSUFinFan
10-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Northwestern should be ranked?

Agent51
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Personally, I hate the fact USC will be #1 until they lose. Texas and VA Tech get screwed because USC was the preseason #1 and won the championship last year. I dont think they are the team to beat this year. IMO because USC was the preseason #1 they will remain #1 until they lose. I hope they are #3 in the BCS standings.

Not to mention that Texas and VT have pretty much manhandled their opponents (with the exception of maybe the Texas/Ohio State game) and USC has struggled a whole bunch. Yeah, they get the win, somehow, and that may be all that matters, but Texas and VT win BIG.

Philter25
10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Not to mention that Texas and VT have pretty much manhandled their opponents (with the exception of maybe the Texas/Ohio State game) and USC has struggled a whole bunch. Yeah, they get the win, somehow, and that may be all that matters, but Texas and VT win BIG.

Exactly. USC has been struggling and has played in too close games over the past few weeks. The #1 team in the nation should be blowing out the much weaker teams in the PAC10.

Im all for eliminating preseason polls. USC would be 3rd in the nation if they were not pre-ranked #1 IMO.

Just to clarify, I dont think USC is a bad team, I just think they arent the best team in the nation this year and have been handed the #1 ranking every week because of preseason polls. I would take Texas or VA Tech over them this year if all 3 teams go undefeated.

Philter25
10-16-2005, 09:24 PM

If they beat Mich State next week, they will be. They are a top 30 team, not top 25. I hope they beat Michigan State next week cause that give Penn State a little wiggle room going into the last game of the season.

Buddwalk
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
You guys doubt USC but the fact of the matter is Notre Dame took it to usc but notre dame was living on the edge in that game...they were playing seriously inspired football cause of the coaching from Charlie Weis. Neither Texas or Va tech matches up good against usc...and if thats who ends up playing them in the championship game then you could see results just like last year

kastofsna120
10-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Exactly. USC has been struggling and has played in too close games over the past few weeks. The #1 team in the nation should be blowing out the much weaker teams in the PAC10.

Im all for eliminating preseason polls. USC would be 3rd in the nation if they were not pre-ranked #1 IMO.

Just to clarify, I dont think USC is a bad team, I just think they arent the best team in the nation this year and have been handed the #1 ranking every week because of preseason polls. I would take Texas or VA Tech over them this year if all 3 teams go undefeated.
if the rankings came out this week, and there were no preseason polls, USC would be #1. the defending champ will always get the #1 vote if they're undefeated

Philter25
10-16-2005, 09:41 PM
if the rankings came out this week, and there were no preseason polls, USC would be #1. the defending champ will always get the #1 vote if they're undefeated

ehh. Not necessarily although its hard to disprove because we have had the preseason rankings.

Off the top of my head.......In 2002, I believe Ohio State won the national championship. However in 2003, Ohio State dropped down in the polls in consecutive weeks despite remaining undefeated. They were the defending champ and undefeated and fell in the polls after winning.

Its the preseason rankings that are keeping USC at #1. Teams change so much after a year so its hard to say that its because they are the defending champs.

kastofsna120
10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
ehh. Not necessarily although its hard to disprove because we have had the preseason rankings.

Off the top of my head.......In 2002, I believe Ohio State won the national championship. However in 2003, Ohio State dropped down in the polls in consecutive weeks despite remaining undefeated. They were the defending champ and undefeated and fell in the polls after winning.

Its the preseason rankings that are keeping USC at #1. Teams change so much after a year so its hard to say that its because they are the defending champs.
well ohio state was looked at as a fluke for their championship, so they were pretty disrespected after that. USC however had a ridiculous amount of hype since they won last year, and with a ton of players returning, they would be #1 now regardless, especially the day after the notre dame win

RWhitney014
10-16-2005, 09:47 PM
USC has survived three games in a row and now has a cupcake schedule...only UCLA has a shot to beat them. The one problem with college football is that once you assume a position, you typically don't lose it until you lose a game. In this case, the rankings are probably stunted because of it.

kastofsna120
10-16-2005, 09:53 PM
texas's schedule and USC's are pretty equal. i'd give the edge to USC, though. oregon, arizona state, cal, ucla, fresno state, notre dame...all tough teams to beat, and 4 of those games are on the road

Philter25
10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
well ohio state was looked at as a fluke for their championship, so they were pretty disrespected after that. USC however had a ridiculous amount of hype since they won last year, and with a ton of players returning, they would be #1 now regardless, especially the day after the notre dame win

Fluke or not, they were the defending champ and they were undefeated and still dropped in the rankings after wins. Im sure its happened before, but that was just an example off the top of my head.

Anyway its impossible to prove or disprove because we havent had a season without a preseason ranked #1 team. I agree USC had a ton of hype, however they did lose 3 monster DTs and their defense is suspect. They were not returning everyone.

Personally, I think if there were no preseason rankings, after Texas beat OSU, they would have been the #1 team in the nation. Texas has destroyed every team its played since then. Every one of UT's games have been over as soon as the game was kicked off. Texas has destroyed every team it should have and beat a top 5 team in OSU AT OSU..... USC has struggled against some teams it should have destroyed and barely beat Notre Dame. I agree with you though, I would give USC's schedule a slight edge over Texas', but that edge is EXTREMELY slight and IMO doesnt give enough leway for the close games USC has played.

Without the preseason rankings, USC wouldnt be getting 57 first place votes and Texas only 8.

Performance wise and victories over stronger opponents, you have to give the edge to Texas as of now. I cant wait for Texas Tech next week, im hoping thats a high scoring shootout.

I have no argument for VA Tech because they are beating up on crap teams. We will see how they do against BC and Miami in the upcoming 2 weeks. Fortunately for Tech, both games are at home so they have a good chance at running the table also.

Like Rwhitney said, once you have that top spot, basically the only way off is with a loss. They could win every game by 3 points in OT the rest of the year and Texas can win by 50 every game and USC would still remain the #1 team because of the preseason rankings giving USC the top spot before they played a game.

SMadison29
10-17-2005, 12:19 AM
1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) Alabama
5) Georgia
6) LSU
7) Miami
8) Notre Dame
9) Penn State
10) UCLA

You don't think they're #1? Why? They've played a very tough schedule so far & beat all of them. Texas has beat one decent team (Colorado) & one good team (Ohio St) at the last second like USC over ND. VT has yet to really play anyone good. NC State, GT, & West Virginia are all decent but no top 20 team. They're test is coming next month with Miami, BC, & Virginia. If those three go unbeaten Texas will probably be left out only because the Big 12 sucks this year.

Philter25
10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
AS OF TODAY: I think Texas should be #1 based on everything Ive said before. I agree with VA Tech, they havent played anyone and wont play anyone until the conference championship game.

USC has a slighter harder schedule than Texas. SLIGHTER. Both schedules are cake with the exception of the ND and OSU game on USC and Texas's schedule.

However Texas has dominated everyone it should have dominated and so far has beaten the best team with OSU ranked #4.

USC has played close games with teams it should have dominated. The #1 team in the nation shouldnt go a few weeks with very close games. I dont think USC is as powerful as it was last year.

If there was no preseason rankings, USC would not be getting 57 first place votes. Thats what I am arguing. I dont think they are the clear cut #1 team in the nation and I think they are getting a lot of help because of the preseason polls. Based on the voting in the polls, USC is the clear cut #1 team in the nation and I would disagree with that.

vanquenton
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Virginia back in the top 25 after upsetting FSU!! :)

SMadison29
10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
However Texas has dominated everyone it should have dominated and so far has beaten the best team with OSU ranked #4.

USC has beaten the best team so far & played a much tougher schedule than Texas. Ohio State is down in the rankings. Notre Dame is better than Ohio State, & both Oregon & Arizona State are better than Colorado. Texas has played two borderline Division 1-AA teams (Rice & UL Lafeyette), USC has not played anyone quite that bad. USC still has to play Cal, UCLA, & Fresno while Texas has Tech, A&M, & a Big 12 championship game vs another average team. The SOS is clearly in USC's favor.

PSUFinFan
10-17-2005, 10:44 PM
USC is ahead of Texas in the computer rankings for the BCS, and they don't factor in last years or prior weeks rankings.

Dphins4me
10-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Who is Texas/VA Tech playing? Of course they are winning big. Texas has played the likes of La Lafayette, Rice, Missouri and a bad Oklahoma team. They should be winning big. Texas has only played 1 game against top 20 teams.

Left on their schedule are the powerhouses of Baylor, Kansas & a 3-3 Ok. State team & a disappointing Texas A&M team. Their toughest game left is Texas Tech a team that might be 6-0 but has played no one of worth.

Va. Tech has played also played 1 top 20 team.

USC has played 3 games against top 20 teams to go along with their cup cakes. USC has had their struggles against the top 20 teams. However outside of ND they blew them out by the end of the game.

This is what is wrong with college football. Its not only good enough to win, but you have to impress since if you are suppose to be the best in the country then you should dominate every opponent. Those teams have talented players also.

Dphins4me
10-18-2005, 12:26 AM
USC has beaten the best team so far & played a much tougher schedule than Texas. Ohio State is down in the rankings. Notre Dame is better than Ohio State, & both Oregon & Arizona State are better than Colorado. Texas has played two borderline Division 1-AA teams (Rice & UL Lafeyette), USC has not played anyone quite that bad. USC still has to play Cal, UCLA, & Fresno while Texas has Tech, A&M, & a Big 12 championship game vs another average team. The SOS is clearly in USC's favor.
Thank you. If I'd read farther then I could have saved some time.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 12:34 AM
i know all of the texas people will get ecstatic when they beat texas tech, but you wanna talk about easy schedules? look who texas tech has played:

Florida International, 1-4 (sun belt conference)
Sam Houston State, 0-4 (division 1AA)
Indiana State, 0-7 (division 1AA)
Kansas, 3-3 (big 12)
Nebraska, 5-1 (big 12)
Kansas State, 4-3 (big 12)

perhaps the easiest first 3 games i've ever seen on a big team's schedule. two WINLESS division 1AA teams. incredible. the best team they've beaten was a bad nebraska team. now if you lose to this team texas, you really have to pack the season in

Buddwalk
10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Heres how it all breaks down...regarding the rest of the schedule and what I predict will happen. And at the end top top 10 bsc rankings

USC 11-0

@Washington - USC Wins 37-13
Washington State - USC Wins 42-10
Stanford - USC Wins 27-14
@California - USC Wins 38-17
Fresno State - USC Wins 35-10
UCLA - USC Wins 35-24

Texas 11-0

Texas Tech - Texas Wins 24-13
@Oaklahoma State - Texas Wins 45-10
@Baylor - Texas Wins 28-3
Kansas - Texas Wins 34-7
@Texas A&M - Texas Wins 31-6

Virginia Tech 9-2

@Maryland - VT wins 34-7
Boston College - VT wins 17-14
Miami - Miami wins 31-27
@Virginia - Virginia wins 34-31
North Carolina - VT wins 45-3

Alabama 11-0

Tennessee - Alabama wins 24-13
Utah State - Alabama wins 37-6
@Miss State - Alabama wins 27-13
LSU - Alabama wins 13-7
@Auburn - Alabama wins 34-10

Georgia 11-0

Arkansas - Georgia Wins 35-3
@Florida - Georgia Wins 14-13
Auburn - Georgia Wins 24-17
Kentucky - Georgia Wins 23-7
@Georgia Tech - Georgia Wins 38-13

Miami 10-1

Georgia Tech - Miami wins 38-13
North Carolina - Miami wins 45-10
@Virginia Tech - Miami wins 31-27
@Wake Forest - Miami wins 37-17
Virginia - Miami Wins 23-13

BCS

1. USC 11-0
2. Texas 11-0
3. Alabama 11-0
4. Georgia 11-0
5. Miami 10-1
6. UCLA 10-1
7. Penn State 10-1
8. Notre Dame 9-2
9. Virginia Tech 9-2
10. LSU 9-2

Philter25
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Like I said before, I agree USC has a SLIGHTLY harder schedule. I disagree though that Notre Dame is better than OSU. They are both excellent teams and im not trying to take anything away from Notre Dame, but OSU is one of the best defenses in the nation and a much harder team to score on.

Texas' only tough games coming up are Texas Tech, which I agree might be overrated based on who they played and they should have NEVER won that Nebraska game last week, and then whoever they play in the Big12 championship game. Its not Texas' fault that the Big12 is horribly weak this year and its not USC's fault that the Pac10 is weak also.

My point was that USC wouldnt be a runaway first place vote if there were no preseason rankings. Like said before, when you are #1 you pretty much stay there until you lose, which I think is BS and brings me to my next point:

USC is ahead of Texas in the computer rankings for the BCS, and they don't factor in last years or prior weeks rankings.

Technically they DO, just not directly. And thats because of the preseason rankings and the fact that USC hasnt lost yet. When you are #1 in the coaches and AP polls, you should be #1 in the BCS. Like I said before, the #1 team usually does fall from #1 until they lose. When you are anointed #1 at the start of the season, its a HUGE blessing over the other top power teams because THEY need you to lose to move up.

As of RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK how Texas and USC have played, USC should NOT be a clear cut #1 team. Its because of the preseason rankings.

Philter25
10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
This is what is wrong with college football. Its not only good enough to win, but you have to impress since if you are suppose to be the best in the country then you should dominate every opponent. Those teams have talented players also.

When you have 4 undefeated teams who are trying to get into 2 championship game spots, thats the only way it can be with this system. Until they implement a playoff system with the top 4 teams, thats the way its going to be. I agree with you, it IS what is wrong with college football but unlike the NFL and other sports, there is no playoffs and no tournament for the championship. 100 NCAA teams compete for 2, thats right, TWO spots. You can have one undefeated team or 14 undefeated teams. Still only two spots. Because of this, winning late in the game or winning on the last play of the game is not good enough for the top team in the nation. USC is getting 57 first place votes, thats pretty much a huge majority of first place votes. Teams getting that much of the first place votes should be blowing out their opponents at halftime. I agree with you, its a horrible system, but its what we have in college football.

Buddwalk
10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Like I said before, I agree USC has a SLIGHTLY harder schedule. I disagree though that Notre Dame is better than OSU. They are both excellent teams and im not trying to take anything away from Notre Dame, but OSU is one of the best defenses in the nation and a much harder team to score on.

Texas' only tough games coming up are Texas Tech, which I agree might be overrated based on who they played and they should have NEVER won that Nebraska game last week, and then whoever they play in the Big12 championship game. Its not Texas' fault that the Big12 is horribly weak this year and its not USC's fault that the Pac10 is weak also.

My point was that USC wouldnt be a runaway first place vote if there were no preseason rankings. Like said before, when you are #1 you pretty much stay there until you lose, which I think is BS and brings me to my next point

Sorry man your points make no sense yes i'll actually agree with you that osu has a tougher defense than notre dame but... You cant disagree that Oklahomas defense last year was leaps and bounds better than osu's defense easily. Usc tramped all over it like it was a highschool football game, dont doubt USC there the best team in the nation

Philter25
10-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Sorry man your points make no sense yes i'll actually agree with you that osu has a tougher defense than notre dame but... You cant disagree that Oklahomas defense last year was leaps and bounds better than osu's defense easily. Usc tramped all over it like it was a highschool football game, dont doubt USC there the best team in the nation

I never said anything about Oklahomas defense last year. Maybe thats why my points dont make sense to you. :lol: :goof:

What did I post that doesnt make sense? I am doubting that they are the hands down best team in the nation. They almost lost last week! I think they are beatable. They have proven that over the last couple of weeks that their defense IS suspect and they are not as dominant as they were last year. I dont need to make a point about that, USC already has shown it in MORE than 1 game this year. :lol:

Cuban Dave 9
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
It pisses me off that when Florida loses against 2 current top 10 teams, teams like ohio state, tennessee, and Notre Dame are ranked ahead...what is the deal with that?

Motion
10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
It pisses me off that when Florida loses against 2 current top 10 teams, teams like ohio state, tennessee, and Notre Dame are ranked ahead...what is the deal with that?

The Gators are lucky to be where they are bro. Until they get that offense running, they can't be considered a Top 10 or even 15-20 team. For once our Defense is our strength. We need a big win over Georgia and FSU to get back into the Top 10.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
because they're better teams i guess. you can't be ranked ahead of every team you beat

PSUFinFan
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM

My point was that USC wouldnt be a runaway first place vote if there were no preseason rankings. Like said before, when you are #1 you pretty much stay there until you lose, which I think is BS and brings me to my next point:

Technically they DO, just not directly. And thats because of the preseason rankings and the fact that USC hasnt lost yet. When you are #1 in the coaches and AP polls, you should be #1 in the BCS. Like I said before, the #1 team usually does fall from #1 until they lose. When you are anointed #1 at the start of the season, its a HUGE blessing over the other top power teams because THEY need you to lose to move up.

As of RIGHT NOW THIS WEEK how Texas and USC have played, USC should NOT be a clear cut #1 team. Its because of the preseason rankings.
I wasn't talking about the BCS rankings as a whole, I was talking about the computer rankings that go into the BCS. Those rankings make up a third of the BCS equation and have no input other than what has happened so far this season. They are a more accurate depiction of who has had the better season so far and not so much who the better team is. For example Notre Dame is a good team by all accounts, but they are not very high in the computer rankings do to them losing their only two home games and not having beaten any quality opponents. Meanwhile a team like Penn State, who is ranked below Notre Dame in both polls, is higher in the computer poll due to beating OSU and Minnesota and only losing one road game.

Buddwalk
10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
I never said anything about Oklahomas defense last year. Maybe thats why my points dont make sense to you. :lol: :goof:

What did I post that doesnt make sense? I am doubting that they are the hands down best team in the nation. They almost lost last week! I think they are beatable. They have proven that over the last couple of weeks that their defense IS suspect and they are not as dominant as they were last year. I dont need to make a point about that, USC already has shown it in MORE than 1 game this year. :lol:

Standford and Cal both almost beat them last year. And i'm talking last minute USC drives that won the game. Dude they cant be beat

Philter25
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I wasn't talking about the BCS rankings as a whole, I was talking about the computer rankings that go into the BCS. Those rankings make up a third of the BCS equation and have no input other than what has happened so far this season. They are a more accurate depiction of who has had the better season so far and not so much who the better team is. For example Notre Dame is a good team by all accounts, but they are not very high in the computer rankings do to them losing their only two home games and not having beaten any quality opponents. Meanwhile a team like Penn State, who is ranked below Notre Dame in both polls, is higher in the computer poll due to beating OSU and Minnesota and only losing one road game.

Ah. I thought you meant BCS as a whole and I thought to myself "wtf is he talking about, the polls are 1/3 of the bcs." :lol:

Isnt Texas ranked ahead of USC in 2 of the computers? I forget which ones but I think I recall at least one where Texas was ranked ahead and then either 1 or 2 where Georgia was ranked ahead of them. Also whats going to be interesting to see is if VA Tech can jump over Texas if they beat BC, Miami, and Virginia.

Its a shame Penn State lost that last second game to Michigan. I think with their strength of schedule they would have throw around some crap in the BCS final standings. Good examples with Penn State and Notre Dame. ND isnt even ranked in some computers I believe.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the computers didnt take into consideration margin of victory? That to me IS important and is my biggest knock against USC. If they win every game by 4th quarter comebacks by 1 point or else they destroy each team by 50, I think the computers record it as the same outcome.

If they have been slaughtering every team they played, I would have no trouble with them getting every first place vote and would recognize them as the hands down best team in the nation. However they have shown they are vulnerable over the last few weeks where I have yet to see any chinks in Texas's or VA Tech's armor.

Back on the original debate: I still hate the preseason rankings. ;)

Philter25
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Standford and Cal both almost beat them last year. And i'm talking last minute USC drives that won the game. Dude they cant be beat

This is college, teams change drastically year from year. Look at Oklahoma. #2 in the Nation to one of the worst teams in the Big12. You cant judge a team based on what it did last year. USC lost some key defensive tackles from last years team. USC can be beat. Notre Dame was one play away from proving that.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
USC lost some key defensive tackles from last years team.
and that's it

Philter25
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
and that's it

Who are their current coordinators?

Losing all of your starting DT's is a big loss. Those guys were excellent at run stuffing and pass rushing. I havent had a chance to look at the guys they have in now. You lose your DTs you become vulnerable to good running teams and good running teams will gameplan around that and try to exploit that weakness.

Once again, just to clarify, I dont think USC stinks. I just dont think they would be the clear cut #1 team in the POLLS if it wasnt for the preseason rankings and I do think they are vulnerable. Right now, I think they match up very well with Texas and VA Tech and Georgia and Alabama and they would beat them in a head to head. However based on how they have played this year, I wouldnt label them as the clear cut #1 team in the nation over Texas.

Heck, VA Tech might destroy BC, Miami, and Virginia and I might have an argument for Tech in a few weeks.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Who are their current coordinators?
i have no clue whatsoever. did they get a new defensive coordinator? i know norm chow is gone, but that hasn't made a difference. leinart makes tons of changes at the line anyway

Philter25
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
i have no clue whatsoever. did they get a new defensive coordinator? i know norm chow is gone, but that hasn't made a difference. leinart makes tons of changes at the line anyway

Chow is who I was talking about. Chow was another loss though I dont think its as important as losing Cody, Patterson, and Wright. They also lost Lofa Tatupu but I cant remember who drafted him right now........ All were key players in their run defense.

I was just making a point that this isnt the same exact team we saw last year and that teams change year from year and you cant judge a team based on its previous year. USC's offense should still put up 34 points a game on any defense, however its defense is suspect and I think if they run into a team that has a good running attack and can control the time of posession, they might give USC problems.

Cuban Dave 9
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
because they're better teams i guess. you can't be ranked ahead of every team you beat
I agree with that...except for UTenn...but I just think S.O.S. (strength of schedule) should be very important in rankings, especially BCS. Florida has gone through a tough season and there are still 2 tough competitions left (FSU and UGA). When you look at a team like Texas Tech (who has not had much competition) or FSU (who lost to an unranked team), it seams like it is not taken to account.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 03:11 PM
florida has 2 losses. they shouldn't be ranked ahead of the other 1-loss teams

Philter25
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I agree with that...except for UTenn...but I just think S.O.S. (strength of schedule) should be very important in rankings, especially BCS. Florida has gone through a tough season and there are still 2 tough competitions left (FSU and UGA). When you look at a team like Texas Tech (who has not had much competition) or FSU (who lost to an unranked team), it seams like it is not taken to account.

You cant rank teams based on WHO they play. Its the strength of the schedule for who they have already played. Look at the BCS computer rankings, all COMPUTERS have Florida ranked in the high teens, from 17-20ish. One computer doesnt even have them ranked. Florida is a 2 loss team and is ranked right where they should be.

UTenn is ranked from 14th to not even ranked in the computers.

With your logic, Michigan should be ranked over Penn State because they beat them. Minnesota should be ranked over Michigan because they beat them. And Penn State should be ranked over Minnesota because they beat them. Which leads me to my point that this ranking system is impossible because it translates into a circle instead of a ranking list.

Cuban Dave 9
10-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Ranking in college sucks. There is never a system that everyone can agree with. There will probably be another SEC team left in the cold

Philter25
10-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Ranking in college sucks. There is never a system that everyone can agree with. There will probably be another SEC team left in the cold

Nope there wont be. And yes, as long as there is a conference called the BigEast, the BCS in college will suck with its current format.

The SEC wont be left in the cold. They should have at least 2 teams in the BCS this year..... Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn. 2 of these teams should make the BCS this year.

kastofsna120
10-18-2005, 03:32 PM
florida beat tennessee, but tennessee beat LSU, but LSU beat florida.....

Cuban Dave 9
10-18-2005, 06:31 PM
and that should prove why SOS should be important

SMadison29
10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Its not Texas' fault that the Big12 is horribly weak this year and its not USC's fault that the Pac10 is weak also.

The Pac-10 isn't weak. UCLA, Oregon, Cal, & Arizona State are all good teams. The only conferences that are better are the ACC & the SEC. They're better than the Big 10 this year, which I projected to be the best conference this year.

USC didn't lose enough. They returned everything on offense plus got one of the nations top RTs, Winston Justice, back from suspension last year. Everyone thought the loss of Norm Chow would be a factor, it's not. USC's scoring is up 10 points per game & yardage is up more than 150 per game from last year.

On defense they lost a lot of experience. Tatupu was replaced by Oscar Lua, they're basically the same player. Keith Rivers, the #2 LB recruit in 04, is an upgrade over Matt Grootegoed. The loss of Patterson & Cody hurt a lot & they've found one potential All-Pac-10 replacement in Sedrick Ellis. The other loss that hurts probably more than all of those is the off the field troubled CB Eric Wright, who transferred to UNLV. He was a top notch CB that they could stick on the other team's top receiver & not have to worry about them. He's gone & now they don't have that shut down corner.

SMadison29
10-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Alabama 11-0

Tennessee - Alabama wins 24-13
Utah State - Alabama wins 37-6
@Miss State - Alabama wins 27-13
LSU - Alabama wins 13-7
@Auburn - Alabama wins 34-10

Georgia 11-0

Arkansas - Georgia Wins 35-3
@Florida - Georgia Wins 14-13
Auburn - Georgia Wins 24-17
Kentucky - Georgia Wins 23-7
@Georgia Tech - Georgia Wins 38-13

Neither Alabama or Georgia will go undefeated. They're schedules are just too tough. Alabama has the best chance, IMO, but I think LSU will knock them off.

PSUFinFan
10-22-2005, 02:50 PM

Well at least they will be ranked next week.