PDA

View Full Version : NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players

BAMAPHIN 22
10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
There will be no more dress down days in the NBA.
The league announced in a memo to teams on Monday that a minimum dress code will go into effect at the start of the regular season on Nov. 1.

Players will be expected to wear business casual attire whenever they participate in team or league activities, including arriving at games, leaving games and making promotional or other appearances.

"If they're trying to change the image of league, that's cool," Suns forward Shawn Marion said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051018/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_nba_dress_code;_ylt=ArfyVI4UXBb0ptFuuUEo8res0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

NJFINSFAN1
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/Fat20Gangster-1.jpg

MikeO
10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Put a suit on a pig..........

The league is a joke, a nice shirt and tie won't fix anything. Get the THUGS out of the league. Then worry about the dress code.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 12:52 AM
this is the dumbest **** ever

TerryTate
10-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Shaq - "This is nothing. Pat riley's dress code is far more strict than this."

byroan
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't see this making any difference. Yeah they look professional now, so what? Doesn't do them any good if they aren't acting professional.

Muck
10-19-2005, 05:13 AM
John Stewart (or Steven Colbert) said last night (paraphrased).....

"Now if they'd just stop raping people...."

Muck
10-19-2005, 05:25 AM
And you knew this was coming. From Mr. Participation himself.......

Pacers' Stephen Jackson calls the ban on chains "racist" (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001).

As someone who wears zero jewelry at all, I think it's funny how important this issue is to these babies. I mean, you can still wear your disco medalions. Just not outside your clothes.

But then that defeats the whole purpose. It's not about having these chains. It's about letting everyone else know you have them. Makes a helluva lot of sense.

NJFINSFAN1
10-19-2005, 07:46 AM
As Iverson said, you can dress up a killer real nice, but he is still a killer!

MikeO
10-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I don't see this making any difference. Yeah they look professional now, so what? Doesn't do them any good if they aren't acting professional.

It must be broken down for the THUGS in terms they can understand. Someone needs to tell them, they need to put on the outfit they wear when they appear in court. Just imagine they are in court everyday (which isn't far from the truth these days) so keep wearing that same outfit.

Ferretsquig
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM

Sure it does....Stern is trying to create a perception...reality doesnt matter. I dont really think its the right approach though. Hes lost the middle aged white males already, just give it up and try another marketing tract.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Sure it does....Stern is trying to create a perception...reality doesnt matter. I dont really think its the right approach though. Hes lost the middle aged white males already, just give it up and try another marketing tract.

yea its ashamed that Stern has to tell 30 year old black men how to dress off the court so middle aged white males will watch them play a sport:rolleyes:

Pagan
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
yea its ashamed that Stern has to tell 30 year old black men how to dress off the court so middle aged white males will watch them play a sport:rolleyes:
You're right, why look civilzed? No street cred....and you ain't keepin' it REAL!

:rolleyes:

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM

It's a shame something clearly directed at improving an image can be so twisted by you and Stephen Jackson simply because you have to bear the cross of racism, real or imagined.

And let's be clear, this isn't a game, it's a business. And businesses have the responsibility to project an image. Alan Iverson ain't the image they will go for. Nothing wrong with expecting a little class and discipline form these "thugz", too bad it cant carry over into their busy "social" lifestyle. Maybe they could attract a more mainstream audience. In case you hadn't realized, the NBA is way behind football NASCAR and baseball in terms of viewers. Theres a reason......and it's not racism.

NJFINSFAN1
10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Well here is the problem. You have an owner in Cuban, that wears jeans and T-shirts everywhere, yes even NBA owners meetings! And says, hey, I own the team, I wear what I want!

So, what to do about him?

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Well here is the problem. You have an owner in Cuban, that wears jeans and T-shirts everywhere, yes even NBA owners meetings! And says, hey, I own the team, I wear what I want!

Cubans a wacko. He'd dress down in order to get fined.... :lol:

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
And let's be clear, this isn't a game, it's a business. And businesses have the responsibility to project an image. Alan Iverson ain't the image they will go for. Nothing wrong with expecting a little class and discipline form these "thugz", too bad it cant carry over into their busy "social" lifestyle. Maybe they could attract a more mainstream audience. In case you hadn't realized, the NBA is way behind football NASCAR and baseball in terms of viewers. Theres a reason......and it's not racism.

ok, so what if it is a business (even though people complain everyday about players being overpaid to play a "game"), their shouldnt be a dress code outside of the business. im sure your boss doesnt care what your wearing until you get to work and is clocked in. if they care so much about that, then stop cameras from being in the back before the game....i might be able to understand this rule if they made players dress like this for press conferences....but this is ridiculous

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 06:47 PM
ok, so what if it is a business (even though people complain everyday about players being overpaid to play a "game"), their shouldnt be a dress code outside of the business. im sure your boss doesnt care what your wearing until you get to work and is clocked in. if they care so much about that, then stop cameras from being in the back before the game....i might be able to understand this rule if they made players dress like this for press conferences....but this is ridiculous

I'm sorry did you even read the article? It was talking about team functions. I.E. the bench, press conferences and the like. Noones telling them what to wear to the club or the next drive by for Gods sake.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry did you even read the article? It was talking about team functions. I.E. the bench, press conferences and the like. Noones telling them what to wear to the club or the next drive by for Gods sake.

Players will be expected to wear business casual attire whenever they participate in team or league activities, including arriving at games, leaving games

this is what i was talkin about

finfansince72
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
The players have no one to blame but themselves, they are responsible for the image or lack thereof that the league has. If they had acted with a little more commonsense, had respected the league thats paying them millions of dollars they wouldnt have this problem. You make millions of dollars, you are a direct public representation of the organization that pays you millions, you dont show up to work looking like an idiot. Good for the NBA, the inmates have been running that asylum for way too long.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:06 PM
The players have no one to blame but themselves, they are responsible for the image or lack thereof that the league has. If they had acted with a little more commonsense, had respected the league thats paying them millions of dollars they wouldnt have this problem. You make millions of dollars, you are a direct public representation of the organization that pays you millions, you dont show up to work looking like an idiot. Good for the NBA, the inmates have been running that asylum for way too long.

i dont understand the problem at. . . . . .please explain how a way a person dresses is a problem.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
this is what i was talkin about

Yeah..in other words while theyre at work. This aint exactly a hardship being imposed on them.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeah..in other words while theyre at work. This aint exactly a hardship being imposed on them.

they wear uniforms for their work.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:25 PM
i dont understand the problem at. . . . . .please explain how a way a person dresses is a problem.

To re-phrase your question, whats wrong with an employer enforcing a dress code? You wouldnt see A.I. working at McDonalds in his get-ups, he'd have to wear the expected uniform.

Youre moaning because an employer expects his millionaire player to dress "busibess casual" when he represents that owners team. You really dont have a leg to stand on here.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:25 PM
they wear uniforms for their work.

Yep...and are expected to dress business casual when in the work environment and not on the floor

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
To re-phrase your question, whats wrong with an employer enforcing a dress code? You wouldnt see A.I. working at McDonalds in his get-ups, he'd have to wear the expected uniform.

Youre moaning because an employer expects his millionaire player to dress "busibess casual" when he represents that owners team. You really dont have a leg to stand on here.

well if A.I. had to come to work and change into his McDonalds uniform everyday, would you expect him to wear a suit?

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:29 PM
It's all about $. You can make more $ if you do not push a gangster reputation.

It's a sound business decision.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:30 PM
It's all about $. You can make more $ if you do not push a gangster reputation.

It's a sound business decision.

baggy clothes and a backwards hat being "gangster" is pretty steriotypical

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:30 PM
well if A.I. had to come to work and change into his McDonalds uniform everyday, would you expect him to wear a suit?

If i was paying him millions and providing his transportation and he was going to be on camera and interviewed representing my team before and after a game, abso-damn-lutely.

You claim how they dress is no big deal. So whats the big deal about requiring some decorum. Are you afraid they cant afford it? Will it lower their marketability? If Shaq and LeBron can see the benefit, whats so hard about everyone getting on board?

Noones going to be thought of as less "hard" because they dress for success.

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM

The kind of clothes he is wearing is not the problem. He does not dress like a ganster. They are making a conscience move to get away from that type of reputation.

The ganster pool of $ is not as deep as other $ pools. In time this move will increase their ratings.

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:33 PM
If i was paying him millions and providing his transportation and he was going to be on camera and interviewed representing my team before and after a game, abso-damn-lutely.

You claim how they dress is no big deal. So whats the big deal about requiring some decorum. Are you afraid they cant afford it? Will it lower their marketability? If Shaq and LeBron can see the benefit, whats so hard about everyone getting on board?

I don't agree with that. The NBA players most certainly will be viewed differently now. I would venture a guess that some rap star will rap about a song about how NBA players are all sell outs now because they folded under to the pressure of the man.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM

my question would be, if its such a big deal what players wear, why let cameras in the back showing what they wear? why force a person to wear something while not working because a camera, that shouldnt be, is on him.

its a big deal cause your forceing someone to do something for no reason.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:37 PM
The kind of clothes he is wearing is not the problem. He does not dress like a ganster. They are making a conscience move to get away from that type of reputation.

so your saying that dressing white is not a problem, but dressing like the black culture is?

basically what your saying is this situation is a racists one....i didnt say it, you did

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:40 PM
my question would be, if its such a big deal what players wear, why let cameras in the back showing what they wear? why force a person to wear something while not working because a camera, that shouldnt be, is on him.

It is all about trying to change their demographics for who watches the NBA.

If you push a pro-gangster product you are not likely to get a lot of white viewer ship above the age of 18 to watch your product the NBA. In short the NBA has been losing that white demographic steadily for 10 plus years now. Not because there are more black players playing, but because the public persona the NBA has embraced.

This is all about the all mighty dollar. IMO it is a GREAT move that will benefit all of us, the viewer!

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:42 PM
so your saying that dressing white is not a problem, but dressing like the black culture is?

basically what your saying is this situation is a racists one....i didnt say it, you did

I never mentioned anything about dressing black. I mentioned gangster.

Yes it is a racist situation in the end however. A white viewer above the age of 18 is far more likely to watch a product that is not anti-them!

The gangster agenda is all about hating the poilice, women and hating all white ppl. Or at least that is the public persception of gangsters.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:43 PM

Just because you dont like it does not validate the reason. Suck it up. Lifes a beech when ya gotta dress for work.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I never mentioned anything about dressing black. I mentioned gangster.

Yes it is a racist situation in the end however. A white viewer above the age of 18 is far more likely to watch a product that is not anti-them!

The gangster agenda is all about hating the poilice, women and hating all white ppl. Or at least that is the public persception of gangsters.

if the publics persception of a gangster is baggy clothes and a chain, thats their ******* fault

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:47 PM

The next time they arrest someone for dealing or a drive by and they are wearing Armani, your argument might hold water.

Were talking about an employers reasonable expectation of dress when on the job. They can dress how they want when they go to the club or whatever. The owner has that reasonable expectation. Its not a financial hardship, youre making it like its an emotional hardship to ask someone to dress nicely.

Please, tell my what company pays you millions and is not justified to require you to dress a certain way when you are on their time?

ohall
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
if the publics persception of a gangster is baggy clothes and a chain, thats their ******* fault

Dude this is an ocean sized issue yet you continue to miss the water!

The gangster life style is not a life style that will net a nation wide sport like the NBA a lot of $. They have to entice the majority race in this country to watch their product. Embracing a public image that is anti-white is not going to cut it. This move is long in coming.

Maybe in the next 30-years the NBA will be pushing a pro-Latin image because that is how our national citizenship is heading.

It’s a wise decision on the NBA’s part. One it should have 10-years ago!

finfansince72
10-19-2005, 07:49 PM

So if someone was the public representative of big company, which is what the NBA is, it wouldnt be a problem to wear shorts, gaudy jewelry and rags on their head to work? These players are public representatives of a billion dollar industry, the league relys on sponsors to pay the players huge contracts, the sponsors and the league want the players too look professional. Pat Riley and other coaches/owners have had rules like this forever, this is just the leagues way of making it universal.
I dont really see the players showing up to work in whatever they want being a problem, Im not sure what the league is doing with that. But once they are on the sideline or at team functions, they should look professional.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM

'yeah, and the offense at the use of profanity because they refuse to recognize the legitimicay of the "thug" culture is their fault too.

Do you ever wonder how the NBA ratings keep lagging behind NFL NASCAR and MLB?

Look no further than that statement you made and see if you could apply it to any of those sports? Wheres your condemnation for the NFL and MLB, which have had dress codes for years?

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Please, tell my what company pays you millions and is not justified to require you to dress a certain way when you are on their time?

NBA is nothing like any other company so why even try this?

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Dude this is an ocean sized issue yet you continue to miss the water!

The gangster life style is not a life style that will net a nation wide sport like the NBA a lot of $. They have to entice the majority race in this country to watch their product. Embracing a public image that is anti-white is not going to cut it. This move is long in coming.

Maybe in the next 30-years the NBA will be pushing a pro-Latin image because that is how our national citizenship is heading.

It’s a wise decision on the NBA’s part. One it should have 10-years ago!

dude, what your not getting is that if wearing baggy clothes is dressing anti to someone, then that person probably isnt going to watch a league where there are about 10 white people

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:53 PM
NBA is nothing like any other company so why even try this?

Really? They arent out to make money for the shareholders? They arent out to increase the brand image and marketability?

What about the NFL?
What about MLB?
What about NASCAR?
What abour Hockey?

You cant win this argument if you defend it based on Thug life and hip hop culture. This goes right to the heart of business marketing.

And its not even a hardship. Man, what a mean world, asking millionaires to clean up.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:53 PM
So if someone was the public representative of big company, which is what the NBA is, it wouldnt be a problem to wear shorts, gaudy jewelry and rags on their head to work? These players are public representatives of a billion dollar industry, the league relys on sponsors to pay the players huge contracts, the sponsors and the league want the players too look professional. Pat Riley and other coaches/owners have had rules like this forever, this is just the leagues way of making it universal.
I dont really see the players showing up to work in whatever they want being a problem, Im not sure what the league is doing with that. But once they are on the sideline or at team functions, they should look professional.

i agree 100%. problem is, is that players are no longer to show up to work in whatever they want, because there are cameras in the back when they show up...cameras that shouldnt be there in the first place...

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
What about the NFL?
What about MLB?
What about NASCAR?
What abour Hockey?

yea, and none of those have dress codes to show up to the stadium

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
i agree 100%. problem is, is that players are no longer to show up to work in whatever they want, because there are cameras in the back when they show up...cameras that shouldnt be there in the first place...

Realy? I would think the NBA wants as much exposure as possible

Nappy Roots
You cant win this argument if you defend it based on Thug life and hip hop culture. This goes right to the heart of business marketing.

im still failing to see how "thug life" is represented by the way one dresses

MoFinz
yea, and none of those have dress codes to show up to the stadium

yeah, actually they do. Look it up

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Realy? I would think the NBA wants as much exposure as possible

so you think cameras showing players walking to their locker room is exsposure? :rofl3:

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:56 PM
im still failing to see how "thug life" is represented by the way one dresses

If its not, youre arguing about nothing. Because if the style doesnt matter, theres no reason for them to buck

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
so you think cameras showing players walking to their locker room is exsposure? :rofl3:

By definition it is :goof:

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
yeah, actually they do. Look it up

well i know that the NFL doesnt when every sunday they show 2 players walking to their locker room and they ask "is this how you show up to work" one is usually dressed down, the other in a nice suit...

:hmmm:

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
If its not, youre arguing about nothing. Because if the style doesnt matter, theres no reason for them to buck

no this is the exact reason im arguing about it. because saying that is a steriotype...and is that not wrong?

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 07:59 PM
By definition it is :goof:

true, but do you honestly think it is?

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 07:59 PM
no this is the exact reason im arguing about it. because saying that is a steriotype...and is that not wrong?

You cant defend this....the facts betray you at every turn

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 08:00 PM
You cant defend this....the facts betray you at every turn

OK, then present some facts to me and ill stop arguing about the rule

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 08:03 PM
OK, then present some facts to me and ill stop arguing about the rule

No you wont. Youve nailed yourself to this cross and you wont let it go.

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 08:05 PM
No you wont. Youve nailed yourself to this cross and you wont let it go.

.......im a reasonable person, if facts are presented, then i go by the facts....but im failing to see any so...

ohall
10-19-2005, 08:09 PM
dude, what your not getting is that if wearing baggy clothes is dressing anti to someone, then that person probably isnt going to watch a league where there are about 10 white people

No you don't get it. Most whites have no issues with blacks, they do however have major issues with gangsters. White NBA players dress like gangsters as well. This is about getting the family unit to watch the NBA.

Remember I never mentioned black until you did. I wasn't thinking about color except for the whites the NBA are trying to bring back to watch the NBA.

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
The main talking points, so Nappy can be informed
In a memo issued Monday, the NBA set forth a "minimum" dress code starting with the 2005-2006 season. The following highlights are excerpted from the memo:

1. General Policy: Business Casual
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business. "Business Casual" attire means:
• A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
• Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
• Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual
There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:
a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform
Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:
• Sport Coat.
• Dress shoes or boots, and socks.

3. Excluded Items
The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear while on team or league business:
• Sleeveless shirts.
• Shorts.
• T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team).
• Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team).
• Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes.
• Sunglasses while indoors.
• Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room).

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 08:15 PM
The main talking points, so Nappy can be informed
In a memo issued Monday, the NBA set forth a "minimum" dress code starting with the 2005-2006 season. The following highlights are excerpted from the memo:

1. General Policy: Business Casual
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business. "Business Casual" attire means:
• A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
• Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
• Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual
There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:
a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform
Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:
• Sport Coat.
• Dress shoes or boots, and socks.

3. Excluded Items
The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear while on team or league business:
• Sleeveless shirts.
• Shorts.
• T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team).
• Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team).
• Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes.
• Sunglasses while indoors.
• Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room).

yea i know all this...why did you post this?

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
yea i know all this...why did you post this?

Cuz im trying to figure out which part of this is so damn offensive to you. :lol:

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Cuz im trying to figure out which part of this is so damn offensive to you. :lol:

:blowup:
how could you be arguing with me if you dont get what im saying? theres like 2 pages of what i think on the situation and what i dont like about it. :nono:

:dotdot:

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
:blowup:
how could you be arguing with me if you dont get what im saying? theres like 2 pages of what i think on the situation and what i dont like about it. :nono:

:dotdot:

youre complaining about nothing. bottom line

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 09:17 PM
youre complaining about nothing. bottom line

:sleep:

your pretty good at this arguing thing huh? :rolleyes:

MoFinz
10-19-2005, 10:11 PM
:sleep:

your pretty good at this arguing thing huh? :rolleyes:

A lot better than you apparently. My stands are clear and coherent and not vague and immaterial.

Seriously, you cant even argue this.....theres no stance you can take that trumps anything in the memo

PeaTearGriffin
10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
this is not a race issue...yes 90% of the NBAs players are black, but this is more of a culture issue...they want to get the "thug life" style out. And yes i understand that it was started by blacks but last time i walked outside i saw just as many whites dressing in this "thug life" style as i did blacks

kastofsna120
10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
awe, boo hoo. they have a dress code

Nappy Roots
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
this is not a race issue...yes 90% of the NBAs players are black, but this is more of a culture issue...they want to get the "thug life" style out. And yes i understand that it was started by blacks but last time i walked outside i saw just as many whites dressing in this "thug life" style as i did blacks

my issue is that people think that baggy clothes is "thug life"....its not thug life, its not ghetto, its not ganster or gansta, its just a style. its a style of a **** load of youth in america...thats all it is, a style...

Stern thinks like that, he thinks he needs to change the way they dress cause its thug life, its ghetto, its ganster or gansta....but its not...him thinkin that way is steriotyping.

ohall
10-20-2005, 12:01 AM
my issue is that people think that baggy clothes is "thug life"....its not thug life, its not ghetto, its not ganster or gansta, its just a style. its a style of a **** load of youth in america...thats all it is, a style...

Stern thinks like that, he thinks he needs to change the way they dress cause its thug life, its ghetto, its ganster or gansta....but its not...him thinkin that way is steriotyping.

That's simply not true, and I cannot for the life of me understand why you are not willing to admit the obvious about that.

Nappy Roots
10-20-2005, 12:04 AM
That's simply not true, and I cannot for the life of me understand why you are not willing to admit the obvious about that.

it is true....i live around youth, i am youth...you have no clue what your talking about....

i just graduated school man. prolly 75% of my school dressed "thug life"...prolly .001% of my school was thug *** gang bangin kids...and .0005% of them were spanish and wore collared shirts and khakis pants....ironic right?

Slappy8800
10-20-2005, 12:05 AM
nappy, i read every post and i dont know what youre offended by...and the dress code is geared more for press conferences and meeting with the media, not neccesarily before the game

while i dont see how this will change the NBA image, i also dont care

Nappy Roots
10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
nappy, i read every post and i dont know what youre offended by...and the dress code is geared more for press conferences and meeting with the media, not neccesarily before the game

while i dont see how this will change the NBA image, i also dont care

its not that im offended, its more i think the reasons are wrong...its not that im mad or anything, it may sound like it...but i just think that part of it is wrong, and im just giving reasons...

like ive said, i have no problem with the league saying that players should wear suits for press conferences, and while on sideline during the game because they will be on camera...but to say a play needs to not dress in whatever they want before the game when they shouldnt be on camera in the first place, is a lil rediculous to me. but the only thing im really offended by is people saying baggy clothes and dressing like most young black people dress, is thug life, ganster, and so on...

Slappy8800
10-20-2005, 01:19 AM
well, no offense to anyone, as a former homie myself...its true

MikeO
10-20-2005, 08:21 AM

It is THUG LIFE! It's that same line of thinking in which some people were defending Ron Artest running into the stands and beating up a fan because he threw a cup of ice. Saying he was "disrespected". As a multi-millionare NBA player, who the F' cares if some drunkin fan who you don't know, have never seen, and will never see again, "disrespected" you?! But the "THUG LIFE" in Artest came out and he went after the fan.

A dress code can't take the "THUG" out of the person. But at least it might dress it up a little and be a visual change and send out somewhat of a positive vibe.

And if all of the players are upset, why did they let their Union agree to this? Maybe if they stopped making bad rap albums, appearing in court over child support, and other such nonsense, they would actually have known what is going on with their own job! And they could have nipped this in the bud.

Ferretsquig
10-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Stern is trying to sell a product which has been in decline ever since he lost the single greatest marketable player in sports history. Hes just trying to put forth a cleaner, more respectable image, like the NFL has done. Personally I dont think it will work, but you cant fault the man for trying. I really doubt he cares what is gansta...if it sells 1 more jersey, hes happy.

Muck
10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Stern is trying to sell a product which has been in decline ever since he lost the single greatest marketable player in sports history. Hes just trying to put forth a cleaner, more respectable image, like the NFL has done.

Not suprisingly, Jordan always wore a suit. He understood the importance of how he presented himself and how it affected his image.

Muck
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
IMO it's silly for the players to make an issue of this. The rest of us understand that we have to dress to impress in the workplace. And we do it for a fraction of the pay.

Hell, it's not like these guys have to put in an 8-10 hour day in this attire. No, only on the way to/from a game. Or at a PC. And it's not even that strict. They get to wear khakis, nice jeans, sweaters, short sleeves. Aside from that, they get to wear a tank-top and shorts for the majority of their work week.

So for a 2-4 hours a week, they have to follow a pretty minimal dress code.

OH THE HUMANITY!!

It's obvious that the NBA is doing this with white people in mind. They don't have to worry about the black audience because that's a given. They're going to watch regardless. It's their game. But they NBA's growth is headed backwards. So they gotta work at getting the white people back. This is one step.

BAMAPHIN 22
10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Jason Richardson wants to keep wearing his gold chains, He's calling for the players' association to fight the new wardrobe rules announced this week that will go into effect when the season kicks off next month.

"They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation," Richardson said.

Richardson, who describes his style as "different" and says he won't be caught as a "copy cat," left the Oakland Arena wearing a camouflage zip-up sweatshirt, a long necklace with a diamond-encrusted triangle at the end, and a beige cap slightly tilted to one side.

"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable. ... You wear a suit you still could be a crook.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_richardson_dress_code;_ylt=AiJv1JuAa_b5dFVnL0JNoja79LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

NorthFloridaFin
10-23-2005, 02:00 AM
This is the best thing the NBA could have done.

Muck
10-24-2005, 12:50 AM
"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable.

I'll bet there's a great deal of things he doesn't understand.

MikeO
10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Jason Richardson wants to keep wearing his gold chains, He's calling for the players' association to fight the new wardrobe rules announced this week that will go into effect when the season kicks off next month.

"They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation," Richardson said.

Richardson, who describes his style as "different" and says he won't be caught as a "copy cat," left the Oakland Arena wearing a camouflage zip-up sweatshirt, a long necklace with a diamond-encrusted triangle at the end, and a beige cap slightly tilted to one side.

"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable. ... You wear a suit you still could be a crook.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_richardson_dress_code;_ylt=AiJv1JuAa_b5dFVnL0JNoja79LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

He is upset with the wrong people. Don't be upset with the league. Talk to your UNION who agreed to this!

BAMAPHIN 22
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
The dress code is simply a modest, symbolic gesture to mainstream America. And it's only a small part of a series of more substantive initiatives—a boost in the minimum age for players and an increased commitment to public service through a new "NBA Cares" program—aimed at getting NBA players to grow up.Any hint of increased professionalism should bolster the league's image somewhat. But it doesn't address a growing conviction among longtime fans that, having watched NBA all-star aggregates get their butts kicked at the Olympics and world championships, the NBA no longer has game. Or at least not the same game that America once loved. Instead of teaching its players to don a sports jacket, the league might be better served by schooling them in once-upon-a-time fundamentals like the bounce pass or how to hit a 10-foot jump shot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9786786/site/newsweek/