PDA

View Full Version : Good News for Sony

Motion
10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Blu-Ray is the way to go.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-10-19T170128Z_01_ARM961143_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-BLURAY.xml

Slappy8800
10-20-2005, 12:08 AM
too bad they already dumped it

Motion
10-20-2005, 06:25 AM
too bad they already dumped it

:confused: What? No they didn't.

jnewmant
10-20-2005, 10:49 AM
i haven't heard anything about them dumping blu ray, link??

mor911
10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
BEcause the transition from regular DVD to HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) is not at the point where it's about to happen, The Mor doesn't see something like having a Blu-Ray drive being a huge factor (like the DVD drive did with the PS2). It's nice, but the main reason a lot of people even bought a PS2 at launch was because it's also a cheap dvd player (at the time). Don't see Blu-Ray being a regular medium of movies by next summer. Should be awesome anyway.

Motion
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
BEcause the transition from regular DVD to HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) is not at the point where it's about to happen, The Mor doesn't see something like having a Blu-Ray drive being a huge factor (like the DVD drive did with the PS2). It's nice, but the main reason a lot of people even bought a PS2 at launch was because it's also a cheap dvd player (at the time). Don't see Blu-Ray being a regular medium of movies by next summer. Should be awesome anyway.

Does the Mor know how much space a Blu-ray disc can hold? Its a VERY big factor going from 7 GB to 25-50GB of space. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray has been brewing for awhile now and is very close. Will it replace standard dvd by next summer? No. But it will be here.

Motion
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
i haven't heard anything about them dumping blu ray, link??

Its BS.

mor911
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Does the Mor know how much space a Blu-ray disc can hold? Its a VERY big factor going from 7 GB to 25-50GB of space. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray has been brewing for awhile now and is very close. Will it replace standard dvd by next summer? No. But it will be here.

The Mor knows all about Blu-Ray vs Hd-dvd. Just saying that the PS2 had a huge sales boost for being a game system AND a cheap dvd player. Blu-Ray movies will not be wide spread by next summer (movie wise), so PS3 will not have that kind of boost because of Blu-Ray. Combine that with the amount of 360s already installed in homes after the holiday season, and Sony has their hands full.

Motion
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
The Mor knows all about Blu-Ray vs Hd-dvd. Just saying that the PS2 had a huge sales boost for being a game system AND a cheap dvd player. Blu-Ray movies will not be wide spread by next summer (movie wise), so PS3 will not have that kind of boost because of Blu-Ray. Combine that with the amount of 360s already installed in homes after the holiday season, and Sony has their hands full.

True

Caps
10-20-2005, 06:11 PM
This probably won't affect the PS3's initial sales, but I think it will definitely boost it's post-launch sales in about 1-2 years, which won't be that far into the PS3's lifespan, considering that Sony likes to let it's PlayStations brew for 6+ years before releasing a new system. That was one of the reasons I decided not to get an XBox 360 until the price drops way down, I'm not willing to shell out $400+ dollars to Microsoft every 4 years when I can pay $400+ for a new PlayStation every 6, especially one that will soon play my Blu-Ray movies.

Slappy8800
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
im almost positive they did...lemme do a search

PhinsPhan
10-20-2005, 11:13 PM
This probably won't affect the PS3's initial sales, but I think it will definitely boost it's post-launch sales in about 1-2 years, which won't be that far into the PS3's lifespan, considering that Sony likes to let it's PlayStations brew for 6+ years before releasing a new system. That was one of the reasons I decided not to get an XBox 360 until the price drops way down, I'm not willing to shell out $400+ dollars to Microsoft every 4 years when I can pay $400+ for a new PlayStation every 6, especially one that will soon play my Blu-Ray movies.

Except for the fact that Sonys playstation 2 was garbage and should have been replaced. 6 years is way too long to release a new console and the only reason it took them so long was because they knew they didnt have to make a new one. They are not doing so that the consumer doesn't have to pay them for another two years. They are doing so they don't have to pay research and development fees while their old system costs them nothing since it is garbage heap technology.

Sorry Sony has just really been pissing me off lately.

On to the Blu-ray. Why would they go to blu-ray discs by next year? Do they even sell blu-ray dvd players yet? Also blu-ray discs are going to cost the consumer extra money for the more expensive discs and the licensing fees that go to Sony.

Plus could you imagine how many DVD owners would be mad that they have to go buy a whole new lineup of moveis? I've never had a DVD that didn't hold an entire movie before. So why would I need something with more space. Then if you want to watch the special features which are mostly boring and a waste of space you can just throw in the other disc.

Wasn't the Mini-Disc supposed to replace CDs by next year, 8 years ago?
It was entirely better technology but who wants to pay for an entirely new CD collection when CDs are fine.

mor911
10-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Except for the fact that Sonys playstation 2 was garbage and should have been replaced. 6 years is way too long to release a new console and the only reason it took them so long was because they knew they didnt have to make a new one. They are not doing so that the consumer doesn't have to pay them for another two years. They are doing so they don't have to pay research and development fees while their old system costs them nothing since it is garbage heap technology.

On to the Blu-ray. Why would they go to blu-ray discs by next year? Do they even sell blu-ray dvd players yet? Also blu-ray discs are going to cost the consumer extra money for the more expensive discs and the licensing fees that go to Sony.

Plus could you imagine how many DVD owners would be mad that they have to go buy a whole new lineup of moveis? I've never had a DVD that didn't hold an entire movie before. So why would I need something with more space. Then if you want to watch the special features which are mostly boring and a waste of space you can just throw in the other disc.

It was entirely better technology but who wants to pay for an entirely new CD collection when CDs are fine.
Becuase current DVDs aren't HD quality.

Oh, and the Mor agrees with all that other stuff too.

Slappy8800
10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Blu-Ray-High-Definition-DVD-Recorder-Player-Blue_W0QQitemZ5799532876QQcategoryZ71581QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

byroan
10-21-2005, 02:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Blu-Ray-High-Definition-DVD-Recorder-Player-Blue_W0QQitemZ5799532876QQcategoryZ71581QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He's only got 5? I wanted 10. :(

Slappy8800
10-21-2005, 03:12 AM
sorry :(

Caps
10-21-2005, 03:16 PM

I don't think PS2s needed to be replaced any sooner than they are. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I got mine a few months after launch and thats the same one I have today, and it works just fine. I have a friend that had his break about a year ago, but he was one of the crazies that play 12 hours a week. And I really don't care WHY I'm paying them every 6, I care that I'm actually only paying them every 6.

And I bet DVD owners will be mad that they have to get a new lineup, but it's not like thats some big Sony scheme, DVD's are outdated if you want HD quality, Sony is just planning on supplying the demand.

And CDs have have esentially been replaced, I don't know many people that buy CDs anymore, we all go with digital music nowadays.