PDA

View Full Version : Mazzone to O's, not Yanks?

NJFINSFAN1
10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5007138

Ouch to George!
Ouch to the Braves!

RWhitney014
10-19-2005, 07:55 PM
WOW!!! This, boys and girls, could be the end of the Braves' run...Mazzone is the reason why they had all that great pitching...I'm shocked.

dob72
10-19-2005, 08:49 PM
that would be great kill two birds with one stone the braves and yanks

BradTheBillsFan
10-19-2005, 09:00 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5007138

Ouch to George!
Ouch to the Braves!

Good news!
Let's go Bal-ti-more. :D

SMadison29
10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
That's great for the O's. Mazzone needs to develop this team an ace. Bedard & Cabrera have the stuff but need a teacher. If the O's could bring in Burnett & retain Ryan it would be a coup.

Ray Finkle
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
According to rotoworld.com:

"According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the only thing holding up Leo Mazzone's departure to Baltimore is Atlanta's desire for a prospect as compensation.There hadn't been any indication until now that the Braves were demanding something in return for their pitching coach. Mazzone isn't signed for 2006, so the Braves wouldn't seem to have a lot of leverage here. He's free to leave the club after Nov. 15."

FinsNYanksFan13
10-20-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm disappointed that the Yankees did not get him, he was my number 1 choice (obviously) but I'm not shocked now that I know that Sam Perlozzo was Mazzone's best man at his wedding. I would think he would go with his best friend over the Yankees!

AggieFin21
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I would think he would go with his best friend over the Yankees!

I agree. If it happens, I'm dissapointed too but it means he did it for the right reasons because I can guarentee the Yanks offered him more money and IMO the Yanks have more raw talent to work with at pitching.

SMadison29
10-21-2005, 01:12 AM
The O's shouldn't give up anything. If the Braves want to continue this BS then they should just wait another month to bring Leo on board.

finfansince72
10-21-2005, 02:48 AM
I heard on ESPN that they were paying this guy like 250,000 not that much for a major league coach. The O's shouldnt give the Braves a dime in return for signing him. He might have a shot at managing the team in the future since the O's change managers every week or two. Has no shot in NY or Atlanta.

NorthFloridaFin
10-23-2005, 02:03 AM
WOW!!! This, boys and girls, could be the end of the Braves' run...Mazzone is the reason why they had all that great pitching...I'm shocked.

Yeah, that's what people have been trying to say for 14 straight years. Leo Mazzone is a great pitching coach, but we still have the best manager in the business in Bobby Cox. After next year it will be 15 and counting.:D

RWhitney014
10-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Yeah, that's what people have been trying to say for 14 straight years. Leo Mazzone is a great pitching coach, but we still have the best manager in the business in Bobby Cox. After next year it will be 15 and counting.:D

Without Leo's coaching, that staff would have been awful this year. And hey, 14 division titles don't really matter. Since 1991...

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS:
Florida - 2
Atlanta - 1

PLAYOFF APPEARANCES:
Florida - 2
Atlanta - 14

CHAMPIONSHIP PERCENTAGE:
Florida - 100
Atlanta - 7.1

OUCH! :lol:

Roman529
10-23-2005, 02:14 PM
YIPPIE!!!! My Phillies can now win the NL East. :)

NorthFloridaFin
10-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Without Leo's coaching, that staff would have been awful this year. And hey, 14 division titles don't really matter. Since 1991...

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS:
Florida - 2
Atlanta - 1

PLAYOFF APPEARANCES:
Florida - 2
Atlanta - 14

CHAMPIONSHIP PERCENTAGE:
Florida - 100
Atlanta - 7.1

OUCH! :lol:

Man, how people love to throw the 1 World Series out there. The Florida Marlins will never come close to winning 14 straight division crowns. Heck, they can't even make the playoffs 2 times in a row.

Since the Florida Marlins inaugural season.

Playoff Appearance %

Atlanta 100%
Florida 15.3% OUCH :lol:

The fact is, everbody loves to hate the Braves because they are in the playoffs every year, and the Marlins are usually on the outside looking in. We are going to trade for Billy Wagoner to fill the closer role and move Kyle Farnsworth to our middle releiver. Our starters are not going to be hurt one bit, bank on it.

RWhitney014
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Man, how people love to throw the 1 World Series out there. The Florida Marlins will never come close to winning 14 straight division crowns. Heck, they can't even make the playoffs 2 times in a row.

Since the Florida Marlins inaugural season.

Playoff Appearance %

Atlanta 100%
Florida 15.3% OUCH :lol:

The fact is, everbody loves to hate the Braves because they are in the playoffs every year, and the Marlins are usually on the outside looking in. We are going to trade for Billy Wagoner to fill the closer role and move Kyle Farnsworth to our middle releiver. Our starters are not going to be hurt one bit, bank on it.

I would so much rather lose before the playoffs than lose in them. The feeling has to be so much worse knowing you got there but failed, but then again, I wouldn't know. The whole object is to win championships. The Patriots of the early 2000s are a dynasty. The Yankees of the mid-to-late 1990s were a dynasty. The Braves have very little to show for their "success".

Good luck affording Wagner. He is on the record for wanting at least $9 million annually. He has said that he wants to play near his Virginia home, and while the Nats have Chief Cordero, the O's have B.J. Ryan as a free agent himself. Farnsworth is a free agent himself, and without Mazzone, will he really want to return to Atlanta? Don't count on unsigned free agents to win for you. In the meantime, I'm off to look at our two World Series trophies in the past 8 years.

EDIT: BTW, the Braves have $55.5 million wrapped up in 5 players next year: Jones, Jones, Smoltz, Hampton (who's going to be out the whole year anyways), and Hudson. Add in the $6-8 million it's going to take to bring Furcal back, if they choose to, and that's possibly $62.5 million for 6 players for a team that probably won't go above what, $85-90 overall? So we're leaving $22.5-27.5 for 19 players, and you're wanting to put $9 into one? Now we're at $71.5 million for 7 players, leaving you $13.5-18.5 for 18. Giles, Kolb, Thomson, and Reitsma, if all come back (Giles is the only sure one) command at least $10-12 million. We have $2-7 million or so left for 14 players. Enjoy Wagner!

Ray Finkle
10-23-2005, 09:05 PM
The fact is, everbody loves to hate the Braves because they are in the playoffs every year, and the Marlins are usually on the outside looking in.

I think everyone hates the Braves because not only are they always there but they always roll over and die. It's almost an automatic free trip to the NLCS when a team plays the Braves in the first round. People just want to see new teams in the playoffs each year. It's amazing what the Braves have done no doubt however they only have 1 championship to show for it.

NorthFloridaFin
10-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I can't argue the fact that we've only won 1 World Series. But it is nice knowing your team will be playing for a shot @ the championship every year, not something most teams can say. The only player we will probably just let go will be Rafael Furcal, which doesn't hurt my feelings too bad. Furcal is just not a very good leadoff hitter, he will be replaced by Wilson Betemit, just 1 of our 18 rookies that played a significant role for us this year. The future looks brighter than ever for the Braves.

RWhitney014
10-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I can't argue the fact that we've only won 1 World Series. But it is nice knowing your team will be playing for a shot @ the championship every year, not something most teams can say. The only player we will probably just let go will be Rafael Furcal, which doesn't hurt my feelings too bad. Furcal is just not a very good leadoff hitter, he will be replaced by Wilson Betemit, just 1 of our 18 rookies that played a significant role for us this year. The future looks brighter than ever for the Braves.

What, no response to my salary post? :D

OK, I'll stop being sarcastic. But you can't always assume that rookie wonders will stay rookie wonders. Johnny Estrada had a great rookie year but was essentially replaced by McCann by the end of the year. LaRoche still can't beat out a 47 year-old. No denying that what the Braves have done is a feat, but they get weaker and weaker every year. I really think the loss of Mazzone is huge.

NorthFloridaFin
10-23-2005, 10:33 PM
What, no response to my salary post? :D

OK, I'll stop being sarcastic. But you can't always assume that rookie wonders will stay rookie wonders. Johnny Estrada had a great rookie year but was essentially replaced by McCann by the end of the year. LaRoche still can't beat out a 47 year-old. No denying that what the Braves have done is a feat, but they get weaker and weaker every year. I really think the loss of Mazzone is huge.

Brian McCann will be are star in this league. Adam Laroche couldn't beat out a 47 year-old who is still hitting for a .300 average. But I kind of feel like they will try and trade Laroche this off-season and groom Kelly Johnson as our 1st baseman. This is our potential lineup for next year.

1B - Kelly Johnson
2B - Marcus Giles
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Wilson Betemit
LF - Ryan Langerhans
CF - Andruw Jones
RF - Jeff Francouer
SP - Smoltz, Hudson, Sosa, Ramirez, Davies
RP - (Big ?????, we really need to upgrade right here)
Closer - If we can't get Wagoner, Devine will take this spot.

I look for us to try and get a #4 starter in the offseason. Thomson has probably seen his last game as a Brave. I wouldn't doubt if we didn't sign Furcal then trade him for a legitimate starter.

RWhitney014
10-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Brian McCann will be are star in this league. Adam Laroche couldn't beat out a 47 year-old who is still hitting for a .300 average. But I kind of feel like they will try and trade Laroche this off-season and groom Kelly Johnson as our 1st baseman. This is our potential lineup for next year.

1B - Kelly Johnson
2B - Marcus Giles
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Wilson Betemit
LF - Ryan Langerhans
CF - Andruw Jones
RF - Jeff Francouer
SP - Smoltz, Hudson, Sosa, Ramirez, Davies
RP - (Big ?????, we really need to upgrade right here)
Closer - If we can't get Wagoner, Devine will take this spot.

I look for us to try and get a #4 starter in the offseason. Thomson has probably seen his last game as a Brave. I wouldn't doubt if we didn't sign Furcal then trade him for a legitimate starter.

Baseball CBA prevents sign-and-trades. If you sign him, you can't trade him until either May or June 1st. I think it's June. That lineup doesn't scare me that much on paper, but the Marlins were the best team in the league on paper coming into this season, and that was before we realized what we had in Willis and Todd Jones...and Lowell and Burnett, :lol: .

SMadison29
10-23-2005, 11:01 PM

This isn't the NBA. That never happens in MLB because contracts are guaranteed, plus Furcal would have a no trade clause.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Contracts are guaranteed in the NBA too!