PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes in Florida

PHINATIC13
10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey Guys and Gals, is it me or does it seem like Florida has been getting pounded by Hurricanes the last couple of years? I thought I read somewhere that "they" normally come in cycles(years or decades).My question really is do any of you long time residents feel these Hurricanes are becoming more frequent and stronger or is this just the peak of the cycle? Anyways just wondering,may you all in the path of Wilma be safe this weekend.

mor911
10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
No, the Mor has lived in Florida 20 of 25 years. Always had a butt load of hurricanes.

backpacker
10-19-2005, 09:47 PM
No, the Mor has lived in Florida 20 of 25 years. Always had a butt load of hurricanes.

And yet, all us life-time Ft. Lauderdale residents manage to dodge pretty much every single one.

cnc66
10-19-2005, 10:14 PM
This is a list from 1960, I remember all these storms and have had a eye experience three times with a very near miss on Cleo. During Jeanne, I saw a clear sky and a beautiful full moon. After the date is how many years before the next one. I have family memiors that discuss first hand the hurricanes of 1873, 1876, 1878, 1885, 1888. My great grandfather and an Uncle rode out the 1906 aboard steamers in the Keys. An Aunt and cousin were shipwrecked on the Steamer St Lucie and spent the hurricane holding on to the mangrove tops on Key Largo

Donna 1960...3 years
Cleo 1964
Isbell1964
Betsy 1965
Inez1966...13 years
David 1979...13 years
Andrew 1992...2 years
Erin 1995...10 years
Charlie, Francis, Jeanne 2004
Katrina,........... 2005

ohall
10-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Yup we are in a peak for hurricanes. They have been predicting this for years now.

PHINATIC13
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
It seems maybe the magnitude of the Hurricane are becoming greater.Not sure of the magnitude(don't know they started "grading" them) of the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the input cnc66.

PHINATIC13
10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Yup we are in a peak for hurricanes. They have been predicting this for years now.

Do you believe any of this is due to Global warming?

d-day
10-19-2005, 10:33 PM
This is a list from 1960, I remember all these storms and have had a eye experience three times with a very near miss on Cleo. During Jeanne, I saw a clear sky and a beautiful full moon. After the date is how many years before the next one. I have family memiors that discuss first hand the hurricanes of 1873, 1876, 1878, 1885, 1888. My great grandfather and an Uncle rode out the 1906 aboard steamers in the Keys. An Aunt and cousin were shipwrecked on the Steamer St Lucie and spent the hurricane holding on to the mangrove tops on Key Largo

Donna 1960...3 years
Cleo 1964
Isbell1964
Betsy 1965
Inez1966...13 years
David 1979...13 years
Andrew 1992...2 years
Erin 1995...10 years
Charlie, Francis, Jeanne 2004
Katrina,........... 2005

i love history cnc - especially family history - i bet reading your families memiors must be amazing - i have an aunt who's been researching my family from my fathers side and i can't wait until she puts it all together...

aunt d-day :hump:

ohall
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Do you believe any of this is due to Global warming?

I believe it is possible, but I do not believe there is any proof of that.

cnc66
10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
i love history cnc - especially family history - i bet reading your families memiors must be amazing - i have an aunt who's been researching my family from my fathers side and i can't wait until she puts it all together...

It makes it well, personal. Even the tiniest of details become interesting. I've been invited to speak at the Alma Clyde Library in Titusville on the 30th by Dr. Wynn. I do a living history of my great great grandfather and discuss the years 1872-1883. I will be speaking to Dr. Wynn about Ft. Myers while I am there, he is president of the Florida Historical Society. The biggest of the family memiors is some 690 pages. It was edited into a 250 page book by Dr. Donald Curl in 1972, and is called Pioneer Life in Southeast Florida by Charles W. Pierce. A reprint is in progress as I write and I got to work on the project. This book is considered the bible of the 1872-1894 era and almost all books since 1972 about SE Florida have it in the bibliography. Here is the book;http://www.floridaplants.com/UM/pierce.htm The cover page is my family homestead house on Hypoluxo Island in 1886. There are three Barefoot mailmen in that picture including the only known picture of Ed Hamilton, the carrier who died at hillsboro inlet

d-day
10-19-2005, 11:09 PM
It makes it well, personal. Even the tiniest of details become interesting. I've been invited to speak at the Alma Clyde Library in Titusville on the 30th by Dr. Wynn. I do a living history of my great great grandfather and discuss the years 1872-1883. I will be speaking to Dr. Wynn about Ft. Myers while I am there, he is president of the Florida Historical Society. The biggest of the family memiors is some 690 pages. It was edited into a 250 page book by Dr. Donald Curl in 1972, and is called Pioneer Life in Southeast Florida by Charles W. Pierce. A reprint is in progress as I write and I got to work on the project. This book is considered the bible of the 1872-1894 era and almost all books since 1972 about SE Florida have it in the bibliography.

awesome... please share w/ me some of the dialogue you had w/ dr wynn next month if you get the chance... ;)

darkmistress
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM

Me too, I find it fascinating... I'd love to do a proper history of one side of my family but I wouldn't know where to start as all the stories I get told conflict with each other :(

cnc66
10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
awesome... please share w/ me some of the dialogue you had w/ dr wynn next month if you get the chance... ;)

I will, I already spoke to him about it a couple of weeks ago when you asked about it, he was going to ask Bob Goss(a archivist and geneologist) to help. The 30th will hopefully give us a place to start.

d-day
10-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Me too, I find it fascinating... I'd love to do a proper history of one side of my family but I wouldn't know where to start as all the stories I get told conflict with each other :(

i bet cnc could help you get started... btw - how would you start a project like this cnc? :hmmm:

cnc66
10-19-2005, 11:27 PM

your local library should have a geneology department, probably with very friendly older girls who love nothing better than to help. get the histories however you can and worry about straightening them out later. Ask these same ladies about oral histories. The conflicting stories are a blast. The pioneers tell stories about each other and I love candor, folks who just say it. One of my great Grandmothers(who is an eight year old girl in the book cover picture in the previous post) gave an oral history and just two months ago I got to hear her voice for the first time. She was born in 1876 and could hunt, fish and sail a boat as good as any boy. Again, just get the stories !