PDA

View Full Version : The Official Heavy Metal Talk Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Pagan
10-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey...there's a few of us on here! :lol:

I'll start it off with a list of bands headbangers should check out that they might not know of.

~ Gamma Ray (http://www.gamma-ray.com/) - A few of the members of Helloween started this offshoot. Sound like a cross between Helloween and Judas Priest.

~ Symphony X (http://www.symphonyx.com/) - Probably the most talented metal band out right now. Incredible musicianship.

~ Kamelot (http://kamelot.com/) - Symphonic metal. Can't wait to see them next month in Manhattan.

~ Primal Fear (http://primalfear.rocks.de/) - Judas Priest soundalikes, but with enough originality to make them listenable.

~ Pink Cream 69 (http://www.pinkcream69.com/) - Stupid name, great band.

~ Adagio (http://www.adagio-online.com/) - Insanely talented band.

~ Masterplan (http://www.master-plan.net/index1_1024.html) - Great band led by singer Jorn Lande and Helloween/Gamma Ray drummer Uli Kusch.

That's for starters....

So, anyone going to any good shows soon? I have Sebastian Bach/Twisted Sister/Yngwie Malmsteen on November 26th.

NJFINSFAN1
10-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm old school heavy metal.

Sabbath
Dio etc...

StuckInTexasFin
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Me too, I like the old stuff...DIO, Maiden, Anthrax, Megadeth, old Metallica, etc...

Pagan
10-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm as old school as it gets, trust me...you'll like those bands. They're keeping the old schoiol alive right now. :up:

UncleCosmic
10-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm glad you posted this, Pagan. I'm always on the lookout for new metal bands that carry the old-school torch. I was actually going to post something to you when I read the top 10 guitarists thread-I was a bit surprised to see that with Eddie in your sig and 'arry in your avatar that at least one of the 3 amigos was not included on your list! Gers I can understand being left out with his sloppy style and obvious Blackmore influence, but Dave and H are, in my eyes, two of the very best and highly influential in the metal world.

Also, I feel if Schaeffer could keep a lineup together and get more focused, Iced Earth would be at the very top of the heap. I saw them last year and was just blown away. Your thoughts?

Pagan
10-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm glad you posted this, Pagan. I'm always on the lookout for new metal bands that carry the old-school torch. I was actually going to post something to you when I read the top 10 guitarists thread-I was a bit surprised to see that with Eddie in your sig and 'arry in your avatar that at least one of the 3 amigos was not included on your list! Gers I can understand being left out with his sloppy style and obvious Blackmore influence, but Dave and H are, in my eyes, two of the very best and highly influential in the metal world.
Hey Cosmo, I left Dave and Adrian out because I was listing technical guitarists. The boys have INCREDIBLE feel, and I love them to DEATH, but I can't rank them that high technically. Doesn't mean they aren't amazing!

Also, I feel if Schaeffer could keep a lineup together and get more focused, Iced Earth would be at the very top of the heap. I saw them last year and was just blown away. Your thoughts?
When Ripper joined IE, I thought they were rerady to scale the mountain too. "The Glorious Burden" was AWESOME. Shame that they aren't going further.

UncleCosmic
10-20-2005, 01:19 PM
When Ripper joined IE, I thought they were rerady to scale the mountain too. "The Glorious Burden" was AWESOME. Shame that they aren't going further.

I keep reading snippets that Schaeffer is writing a "Something Wicked" sequel/concept album, but no new news in ages.

Also-I just read that B L A Z E finally has a permanent lineup and are writing the next album. I really want to see Bayley succeed. He may not have been a perfect fit in Maiden, (although I LOVE The X Factor) but his solo albums have been great. As Live As It Gets is one of my favorite live albums-along with LAD and now, Death on the Road (Sentimental reasons-I made the trip from Florida to the Hammerstein to see that show!)

Dolfan5000
10-20-2005, 02:05 PM
New School/ Old School here
Check out
Bury Your Dead
As I Lay Dying
This Time It's War
Cannibal Corpse
Black Dahlia Murder
Between The Buried And Me
Messhugah
Burn The Priest... That's all I can really recommend of the top of my head right now. But check em' out, they're all killer.

Quelonio
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Has anyone heard of a band called A.N.I.M.A.L they are an argentinian Metal band, and I used to love them when I was in high school. Just figured you might find it interesting to listen to latin american Metal

Dolfan5000
10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Has anyone heard of a band called A.N.I.M.A.L they are an argentinian Metal band, and I used to love them when I was in high school. Just figured you might find it interesting to listen to latin american Metal
No, but what's that acronym stand for?

Quelonio
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Don't really know, I could look for it

Pagan
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
I've heard OF them, but never heard them. What kind of metal were they?

Some more bands for ya...

~ Angra (http://www.angra.net/)
~ Blind Guardian (http://www.blind-guardian.com/)
~ Into Eternity (http://www.intoeternity.net/)
~ Evergrey (http://www.evergrey.net/)
~ Dragonforce (http://www.dragonforce.com/)
~ Concerto Moon (http://www.vap.co.jp/concerto/)

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Im not really all into heavy metal so much but i do like a few bands such as

Metallica [My 2nd favorite band of all time]
Pantera [Great Stuff]
Iron Maiden [Great Stuff]
Judas Priest [There guitarist is amazing]
Black Sabbath [Ozzy + Iommi = God]
And actually im gonna say your band Livesay, I've been listening to lots of it and dont mind if i say you got a killer guitarist. Its a damn shame you guys never got real big

I've been getting into black metal a lil bit as well

Children of Bodom [Alexi Laiho is the best new guitarist out]

Dolfan5000
10-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Im not really all into heavy metal so much but i do like a few bands such as

Metallica [My 2nd favorite band of all time]
Pantera [Great Stuff]
Iron Maiden [Great Stuff]
Judas Priest [There guitarist is amazing]
Black Sabbath [Ozzy + Iommi = God]
And actually im gonna say your band Livesay, I've been listening to lots of it and dont mind if i say you got a killer guitarist. Its a damn shame you guys never got real big

I've been getting into black metal a lil bit as well

Children of Bodom [Alexi Laiho is the best new guitarist out]
Idk, you should check out dude from Between The Buried And Me. He sweeps like it's nothing.

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Idk, you should check out dude from Between The Buried And Me. He sweeps like it's nothing.

Honestly sweeping used to impress me but since im actually starting to get good at it, its only another trick of the trade. From what i've seen the guitarist from symphony x is the sweeping god :D

d-day
10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
So, anyone going to any good shows soon? I have Sebastian Bach/Twisted Sister/Yngwie Malmsteen on November 26th.

:hmmm: is that really the line-up? whoever put that together must have been high...
t.s actually used to be a great raw band b4 mtv - under the blade and the kids are back rock :rockon: -

ezo
loudness
rough cutt
all sabbath but especially born again w/ ian gillan
accept - restless and wild
raven - all for one
diamond head
iron maiden with dianno
tnt
riot - fire down under
stormtroopers of death - charlie benante was hands down the best drummer for that genre

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
:hmmm: is that really the line-up? whoever put that together must have been high...
t.s actually used to be a great raw band b4 mtv - under the blade and the kids are back rock :rockon: -

ezo
loudness
rough cutt
raven - all for one
diamond head
iron maiden with dianno
tnt
riot - fire down under
stormtroopers of death - charlie benante was hands down the best drummer for that genrebest drummer of today in my opinion is Morgan Rose of Sevendust!:rocker: :ally: :beerbang:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Rough Cutt

Dirty looks

AC DC

Judas Priest

Disturbed

Sevendust

Gary Moore

Pagan
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
I know D-Day, they were local boys. Used to see them in the clubs all the time. But man, they are STILL raw as hell live. And Sebastian is pretty raw with his new band also. The oddball in that lineup is Yngwie.

best drummer of today in my opinion is Morgan Rose of Sevendust!:rocker: :ally: :beerbang:
You might want to listen to Mike Portnoy. ;)

d-day
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Dirty looks

i learned how to play guitar from the lead guitarist of dirty looks - his name is paul lydell and lived down the street from me... :hump:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I know D-Day, they were local boys. Used to see them in the clubs all the time. But man, they are STILL raw as hell live. And Sebastian is pretty raw with his new band also. The oddball in that lineup is Yngwie.

You might want to listen to Mike Portnoy. ;)Bro what band does he play in? Thanks!

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Warlock

d-day
10-20-2005, 04:40 PM

:chuckle: i remember there was a video where dee stomps on some kids hand resting on the stage - i was like wtf - and then i saw him live that year and he did the same thing to some kid at the show... not sure where i am going with this... :hmmm: - oh yeah... hello cleveland :rocker:

unifiedtheory
10-20-2005, 05:57 PM

Or Danny Carey...

unifiedtheory
10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Bro what band does he play in? Thanks!

Mike Portnoy is in Dream Theater...he's incredible. Danny Carey is better though (waits for the inevitable arguement with Pagan...;) :tongue: ).

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Pagan you listen to any Children of Bodom?

If so whats your thoughts on them and Alexi Laiho

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Mike Portnoy is in Dream Theater...he's incredible. Danny Carey is better though (waits for the inevitable arguement with Pagan...;) :tongue: ).
Tool? TOOL??? GAH! :lol:

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Pagan you listen to any Children of Bodom?

If so whats your thoughts on them and Alexi Laiho
Good music, but I'm not a big fan of the "angry white boy" vocal style. ;)

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:10 PM
i learned how to play guitar from the lead guitarist of dirty looks - his name is paul lydell and lived down the street from me... :hump:That is great bro! I have there CD "Cool from the Wire".

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Good music, but I'm not a big fan of the "angry white boy" vocal style. ;)

Wow for someone whos been so cultural in music to me on finheaven dude your 100% way off. Angry white boy style, WTF! Dude you must not really pay attention, Black Metal was developed and started in europe and when Alexi's singing hes supposed to sound like a Nordic Beast. The singing hes doing is accustomed a norweignen style of music. I actually find it pretty good, But none the less you cant denie his skills on the ole 6 string :D

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Some more names

Chevelle
Cinderella
Faster *****cat
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Tesla
Queensryche
Tesla
Pantera
:rocker: :xii: :beerbang: :happydrin :drinkers:

d-day
10-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Some more names

Chevelle
Cinderella
Faster *****cat
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Tesla
Queensryche
Tesla
Pantera

i'm a huge faster *****cat fan - raw hard rock blues glam - when there's a whip there's a way is an underrated record - if ever reincarnated i'd be a *****cat anyday... or a spice girl ;) :tongue:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:18 PM
i'm a huge faster *****cat fan - raw hard rock blues glam - when there's a whip there's a way is an underrated record - if ever reincarnated i'd be a *****cat anyday... or a spice girl ;) :tongue: Bro I won't be making out there this year for a game, but next year it is on, and we will have to jam to some good old kick @ss rock & Roll bro.;)

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
loudness
"Wok n Woll Cwazy Nites!!! You awe the hee-wo tonight!" :lol:

Funny story, I used to play in an 80's metal tribute band, and we did that song. Sang it the EXACT same way they did. Played one night at some bar and saw an Asian kid in the audience who got PISSED. Went up to him after the show and explained that that's how THEY sing it, so that's how WE sing it! :lol:

Trashed RAWKS!

Fast As A Shark has to be one of the most KILLER tunes! They opened with that the night I saw them with DIO.

raven - all for one
One of the most underrated bands EVER. This was their masterpiece! Run Silent, Run Deep is my favorite track on that CD.

diamond head
Metallica should be sending them royalty checks every month. :lol:

iron maiden with dianno
Raw and nasty, but somehow I like them better with the Air Raid Siren.

tnt
Tony Harnell played in a local club band before TNT signed him up. I didn't like their last album.

riot - fire down under
Another GREAT local band from Brooklyn! Saw them open for RUSH at the Nassau Colliseum. Last tour with singer Guy Speranza. (R.I.P. Guy)

Swords & Tequila Baby!!! :rockon:

stormtroopers of death - charlie benante was hands down the best drummer for that genre
Gotta love SOD. Speak English Or Die cracks me up every time. :lol:

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Some more names

Chevelle
Cinderella
Faster *****cat
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Tesla
Queensryche
Tesla
Pantera
Bro, mentioning Faster Puzzycat in a thread about heavy metal is punishable by death in at least 35 states. :lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Bro, mentioning Faster Puzzycat in a thread about heavy metal is punishable by death in at least 35 states. :lol:I know, I just liked there style, and I stand corrected by Mr. Pagan. Lord I apologize, please forgive me. I was stuck in the old school. Brother D-Day liked it.:lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:27 PM
POD
System of a Down
Anthrax
Dio

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Bro, mentioning Faster Puzzycat in a thread about heavy metal is punishable by death in at least 35 states. :lol:Bro where you in new York? I was born and raised for 12 years in Mount Vernon, NY in Westchester County.

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I know, I just liked there style, and I stand corrected by Mr. Pagan. Lord I apologize, please forgive me. I was stuck in the old school. Brother D-Day liked it.:lol:
LOL...bro, you can't get more old school than me, and even back THEN we didn't call them metal! ;)

What's next, Poison? :tongue:

I'll speak to brother D-Day later....:lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
LOL...bro, you can't get more old school than me, and even back THEN we didn't call them metal! ;)

What's next, Poison? :tongue:

I'll speak to brother D-Day later....:lol:This is a metal thread bro, not Glam "CC Deville" Rock!:lol:

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Bro where you in new York? I was born and raised for 12 years in Mount Vernon, NY in Westchester County.
Holy Crap man....I practically LIVED in Mount Vermin. My singer lived there. We've probably not only crossed paths, but you might have actually seen my band at the Rising Slum...I mean Sun. We played there ALOT.

Small world man...

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:31 PM
This is a metal thread bro, not Glam "CC Deville" Rock!:lol:I mean do you want to hear CC " A Terrible Solo" Deville!:lol:

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
No answer yet pagan?

Wow for someone whos been so cultural in music to me on finheaven dude your 100% way off. Angry white boy style, WTF! Dude you must not really pay attention, Black Metal was developed and started in europe and when Alexi's singing hes supposed to sound like a Nordic Beast. The singing hes doing is accustomed a norweignen style of music. I actually find it pretty good, But none the less you cant denie his skills on the ole 6 string :D

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I mean do you want to hear CC " A Terrible Solo" Deville!:lol:
Are we talking about CC "Electrical Tape Nipples" DeVille? :roflmao:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Holy Crap man....I practically LIVED in Mount Vermin. My singer lived there. We've probably not only crossed paths, but you might have actually seen my band at the Rising Slum...I mean Sun. We played there ALOT.

Small world man...Bro I left when I was 12 years old in 76. My dad used to hang out at the Sun Down Lounge. I think he had something to do with them sponsoring our little league team too.

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM
No answer yet pagan?
Sorry, didn't see your first post. Okay, let me rephrase...I'm not into the "cookie monster" style of singing. I like my singers to sound like singers, not like animals. Give me DIO over him any day. But hey, that's personal taste.

And I said before, the music is real good, I just catagorize them like Mercyful Fate. I LOVED their music, but the King Diamond opens his mouth and it all goes to hell. (pun intended :tongue: )

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Small world man...A small world. Good to know Bro. I lived at 109 North Nineth Ave. Pretty freaking good memory! That right there deserves a beer!:beerbang:

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Bro I left when I was 12 years old in 76. My dad used to hang out at the Sun Down Lounge. I think he had something to do with them sponsoring our little league team too.
I just re-read your first post, my bad.

I grew up in the Bronx, but I hung around that area and Yonkers most of my teen and 20's years.

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Sorry, didn't see your first post. Okay, let me rephrase...I'm not into the "cookie monster" style of singing. I like my singers to sound like singers, not like animals. Give me DIO over him any day. But hey, that's personal taste.

And I said before, the music is real good, I just catagorize them like Mercyful Fate. I LOVED their music, but the King Diamond opens his mouth and it all goes to hell. (pun intended :tongue: )

Hell yeah man i second that Dio was incredible. I'm not really into the singing i just listen to the music ya know. I think the singing fits well with the music so I listen :D

But i'd Take Freddy Mercury and Brian May over that anyday

darkmistress
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM

:allhail:
This is great to hear, so many metal heads are and I just don't understand it...why ruin some awesome instrumental work by putting a Jim Henson puppet at the front I just don't get it...

Have you ever heard Dungeon? I'm not sure if you mentioned them in the thread so far... I saw them when they spported Nightwish here and they were pretty good...

Has anyone mentioned Sonata Arctica yet?

d-day
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Okay, let me rephrase...I'm not into the "cookie monster" style of singing. I like my singers to sound like singers, not like animals.

:yes: example... tony harnell = singer

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Have you ever heard Dungeon? I'm not sure if you mentioned them in the thread so far... I saw them when they spported Nightwish here and they were pretty good...

Has anyone mentioned Sonata Arctica yet?
I've been trying to downlo.....I mean acquire Dungeon for awhile now, but no one seems to have them. I've heard some good things about them.

Sonata Arctica is incredible. They were gunna be on the next list I posted, along with Stratovarious. :D

Going to see Kamelot with Seven Witches opening up for them next month!

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I've been trying to downlo.....I mean acquire Dungeon for awhile now, but no one seems to have them. I've heard some good things about them.

Sonata Arctica is incredible. They were gunna be on the next list I posted, along with Stratovarious. :D

What songs do you want downloa....i mean acquired from this band Dungeon. I could simply, eh acquire them from lim, eh walmart and upload them for your pleasure :lol:

Pagan
10-20-2005, 06:53 PM
What songs do you want downloa....i mean acquired from this band Dungeon. I could simply, eh acquire them from lim, eh walmart and upload them for your pleasure :lol:
Budd, if you find a Dungeon CD at WALMART, I'll pretty much s**t myself. :lol:

I gotta head out of here now, I have rehearsal tonight. Keep the metal talk going! I'm diggin' how all the headbangers are coming out of the woodwork! :lol:

UP THE IRONS! :ally:

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I'll acquire a couple things of this band tonight and upload them k

darkmistress
10-20-2005, 07:28 PM

That's because they're Aussie lol It's hard enough to find Aussie pop music let alone Aussie metal lol

unifiedtheory
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Tool? TOOL??? GAH! :lol:

We've debated that before so, I won't debate it again....:tongue:

That being said, you CAN NOT deny Danny Carey is a GREAT drummer.

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 08:13 PM
We've debated that before so, I won't debate it again....:tongue:

That being said, you CAN NOT deny Danny Carey is a GREAT drummer.

I agree...then again i know very little about drums, but from what i've heard hes really good

Nothing like Neil Peart though ;)

Dolfan5000
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Hmmm... Power Metal and Black Metal seem to reign over you guys. Sucks no one's into hardcore/metalcore on here, like I.

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmmm... Power Metal and Black Metal seem to reign over you guys. Sucks no one's into hardcore/metalcore on here, like I.

I guess your talking about thrash metal...sorry man that really isnt hardcore metal, black metal is harder :evil:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Cannot forget Motorhead, The ace of spades!

unifiedtheory
10-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I agree...then again i know very little about drums, but from what i've heard hes really good

Nothing like Neil Peart though ;)

Peart is overrated.

On another topic entirely (don't want to turn this thread into an arguement..although I'm sure a debate will kick up once someone posts how great Metallica is) I'd like to thank Pagan for starting this thread....lets keep it going people.:evil:

Buddwalk
10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Peart is overrated.

On another topic entirely (don't want to turn this thread into an arguement..although I'm sure a debate will kick up once someone posts how great Metallica is) I'd like to thank Pagan for starting this thread....lets keep it going people.:evil:

Yeah This thread is ownage :D

Now i'll start off giving my 2 cents on metallica

James Hetfield is one of the greatest lead frontmans for a metal band ever, and also has a pretty good voice. Not to mention hes actually a hell of a guitarist.

Kirk Hammett is actually a really good guitarist but everything new hes done is all pentatonic solos...even most of his old stuff its all following the same scale and its kinda eh cheesy.

Cliff Burton was the greatest bassist of all time and when he was there Metallica was the greatest thing on earth, when the bus took his life it also took metallicas life as well.

Lars is the most over rated drummer in the history of music...ever. The guy is the biggest drama queen i've ever seen in my whole life and not to mention it takes him about 40-50 takes just to get something right.

My Favorite Songs

Fade to Black
Battery
Wherever I May Roam
Master of Puppets
The Four Horsemen

unifiedtheory
10-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Yeah This thread is ownage :D

Now i'll start off giving my 2 cents on metallica

James Hetfield is one of the greatest lead frontmans for a metal band ever, and also has a pretty good voice. Not to mention hes actually a hell of a guitarist.

Kirk Hammett is actually a really good guitarist but everything new hes done is all pentatonic solos...even most of his old stuff its all following the same scale and its kinda eh cheesy.

Cliff Burton was the greatest bassist of all time and when he was there Metallica was the greatest thing on earth, when the bus took his life it also took metallicas life as well.

Lars is the most over rated drummer in the history of music...ever. The guy is the biggest drama queen i've ever seen in my whole life and not to mention it takes him about 40-50 takes just to get something right.

My Favorite Songs

Fade to Black
Battery
Wherever I May Roam
Master of Puppets
The Four Horsemen

I'll agree again...this thread is a great idea.

Now...Metallica.

I'll agree on Hetfield...Black album and before he was the man. Under rated guitar player and he sang with power and authority. Wrote lyrics that had meaning and passion. Everything after the Black album is crap though and he forgot how to sing...especially on "Reload".

I'm not a guitar player so I won't give to many technical reviews on Hammett...although I do know he has to put away the wa-wa pedal for the rest of his life.

I'll agree when Cliff passed away the band lost it's soul. Best bassist ever.....I'll leave that opinion alone. I'm partial to Steve Harris (in the metal genre) myself.

Totally agree on Lars...the guy is a joke. A friend of mine's boyfriend worked with the engineer who worked on the Black Album in Vancouver (when they came up here to do some of the recordings) and said Lars is AWFUL. The guy does 50 takes on everything....and even then they have to splice and dice their way to one good performance.

Fave Metallica songs:
Orion
The Thing That Should Not Be
Leper Messiah
Eye Of The Beholder
Blackened
My Friend Of Misery
Escape
Motorbreath
The 4 Horseman

LtDan
10-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Hammerfall
EdGuy

Sacred reich
Dio
Testament
Savatage
TNT

Den54
10-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Heavy Pettin. :rocker:

Dolfan5000
10-21-2005, 07:26 AM
I guess your talking about thrash metal...sorry man that really isnt hardcore metal, black metal is harder :evil:
Nope, lol. Hardcore is stuff like Bury Your Dead, a lot of double bass and insane distortion. I mean, lol, I love Dead to Fall and they're pretty heavy. They rape Black metal in terms of heaviness. I'm not saying I don't like Black Metal, I'm staring at the Jewel Cases of Hatebreeder and Follow The Reaper, but Hardcore/Metalcore is hard to compare with Black Metal anyway.

Pagan
10-21-2005, 08:56 AM
EdGuy
One of my FAVORITE bands now! Mandrake and Hellfire Club are great albums.

Let's see now....let's go old school, what I was into (and still am though) during the heyday:

~ Maiden (DUH!)
~ Priest
~ Saxon
~ Tygers Of Pan Tang
~ UFO
~ Scorps
~ MSG
~ Slayer
~ Anthrax
~ Accept
~ Dio
~ The Rods
~ Anvil
~ Raven
~ Metallica (when they was good)
~ Riot
~ Motorhead
~ Twisted Sister
~ TT Quick
~ Savatage

Just to start...

Cliff Burton is the most OVERRATED bassist of all time. He was an excellent bassist, but had he not died no one would be calling him the greatest. I can name 5 off the top of my head who were better bassists, Harris, Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Geezer Butler & Bill Sheehan. Sorry bro, but Cliff didn't do anything that was that amazing. He was VERY good, and a great showman, but as far as being the greatest, that's sentiment talking.

Peart is overrated.
Peart now, yes. Peart back in the day....no way.

Dolfan5000
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
The best bassist of all time is very easy; Les Claypool.

Pagan
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
The best bassist of all time is very easy; Les Claypool.
Les does rule...I'd like to see a bass-off with him and Sheehan.

Dolfan5000
10-21-2005, 09:08 AM
That'd be awesome. Another note, even though he's not very Metal, Steve Vai right now is simply the best guitarist out there.

Buddwalk
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM

In my opinion its cliff but again thats my opinion. My bassist said the best is Les Claypool or that bassist fromt he band Phish. Im not sure of his name.
Whats your favorite metallica song man?

UncleCosmic
10-22-2005, 02:10 PM
~ Anthrax
~ Dio

Saw these two together earlier this year at the House of Blues here in Orlando. In-freakin'-credible!

Cliff Burton is the most OVERRATED bassist of all time. He was an excellent bassist, but had he not died no one would be calling him the greatest. I can name 5 off the top of my head who were better bassists, Harris, Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Geezer Butler & Bill Sheehan. Sorry bro, but Cliff didn't do anything that was that amazing. He was VERY good, and a great showman, but as far as being the greatest, that's sentiment talking.

Dude-you REALLY need to get out of my head. I could have posted the same thing, word for word-only I would have included Claypool as well. Sheehan is totally underappreciated-probably because of his stint with Mr. Big!

Fin Fan in Cali
10-22-2005, 04:15 PM
In my opinion its cliff but again thats my opinion. My bassist said the best is Les Claypool or that bassist fromt he band Phish. Im not sure of his name.
Whats your favorite metallica song man?Bro I owe you a thank you! All the talk about Jimi, I just had to buy me a Jimi CD, and you know what it fricking kicks @ss! I got the Best of Jimi, and it's been cracking on my computer ever since. So thanks brother Budd!:)

NJFINSFAN1
10-22-2005, 05:06 PM
One of my FAVORITE bands now! Mandrake and Hellfire Club are great albums.

Let's see now....let's go old school, what I was into (and still am though) during the heyday:

~ Maiden (DUH!)
~ Priest
~ Saxon
~ Tygers Of Pan Tang
~ UFO
~ Scorps
~ MSG
~ Slayer
~ Anthrax
~ Accept
~ Dio
~ The Rods
~ Anvil
~ Raven
~ Metallica (when they was good)
~ Riot
~ Motorhead
~ Twisted Sister
~ TT Quick
~ Savatage

Just to start...

Peart now, yes. Peart back in the day....no way.

UFO!!! I saw them 5 times!

Peart was untouched in the day!

Ever hear of Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush? Great live band back late 70's early 80's.

Den54
10-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey Pagan, OT question here, where do you rate Peter Frampton on the list of great guitarist?

Fin Fan in Cali
10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Wasp!

Pagan
10-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Whats your favorite metallica song man?
Disposable Heroes.

Ever hear of Frank Marino and Mahagony Rush? Great live band back late 70's early 80's.
My guitarist LOVES Marino. Way underrated player.

Hey Pagan, OT question here, where do you rate Peter Frampton on the list of great guitarist?
Great songwriter, excellent singer, good guitarist but not great.

Buddwalk
10-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Disposable Heroes.

I agree on frampton though i like most of his stuff

Im sitting here right now listening to how good yngwie is...its f'n amazing

NJFINSFAN1
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Disposable Heroes.

Yeah, his live stuff is awesome, just picked up a solo CD, will let you know how it is.

Pagan
10-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Okay, what do you guys think of what Sharon Osbourne did to Iron Maiden on their last show with Ozzfest?

Buddwalk
10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Okay, what do you guys think of what Sharon Osbourne did to Iron Maiden on their last show with Ozzfest?

I didnt hear about it what happened...also who won that battle for ozzfest show?

UncleCosmic
10-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Ugh. Don't get me started-I'll break the TOS by calling Sharon the word that starts with C and rhymes with punt. Sharon, to me, proved that she is nothing but a bitter old hag who couldn't handle the fact that Iron Maiden DESTROYED everyone else on the tour with their performances, including the man she keeps crippled and dependant on her. Jealousy fueled her fire, and she acted like a bratty 5 year old.

Iron Maiden are professionals in every sense of the word, and the way they handled the situation was great. There is a reason they are the greatest metal band ever, and so many musicians are inspired by them. I have spent countless thousands of dollars on their LPs, cassettes, cds, videos, box sets, Eddie figures, concert tickets, airfare, rental car, and lodging to see them, PLUS solo albums by Bruce and Blaze, and have not regretted one second or one dime spent.

Sharon, however, will never see another dime of my money. That decision was already made after the remastering of Blizzard and Diary to exclude Daisley and Kerslake, and this action set it in stone.

***stepping off soapbox***

UncleCosmic
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
I didnt hear about it what happened

Long story short-Sharon sabatoged Iron Maiden's set by sending Kelly into the crowd to throw eggs at the band at the start of their set, sent Big Dave (Black Label Society hanger-on) onstage with an American flag during The Trooper, and cut their sound 4 times during their set. After they finished, Sharon walked out on stage and thanked Maiden, but then called Bruce Dickinson a pr*ck to a hail off boos and bottles being thrown at her. About half the crowd left at that point in protest, and Black Sabbath played to a half empty house.

Pagan
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Ugh. Don't get me started-I'll break the TOS by calling Sharon the word that starts with C and rhymes with punt. Sharon, to me, proved that she is nothing but a bitter old hag who couldn't handle the fact that Iron Maiden DESTROYED everyone else on the tour with their performances, including the man she keeps crippled and dependant on her. Jealousy fueled her fire, and she acted like a bratty 5 year old.

Iron Maiden are professionals in every sense of the word, and the way they handled the situation was great. There is a reason they are the greatest metal band ever, and so many musicians are inspired by them. I have spent countless thousands of dollars on their LPs, cassettes, cds, videos, box sets, Eddie figures, concert tickets, airfare, rental car, and lodging to see them, PLUS solo albums by Bruce and Blaze, and have not regretted one second or one dime spent.

Sharon, however, will never see another dime of my money. That decision was already made after the remastering of Blizzard and Diary to exclude Daisley and Kerslake, and this action set it in stone.

***stepping off soapbox***

I like the way you think Cosmic! :up:

Not only was it Kelly, but a BUNCH of Ozzy's road crew with the eggs. i saw photos where 'Arry was playing with egg all over him. :fire:

Sharon had the nerve to call Maiden "ungrateful" and then had the nerve to say that Ozzfest "exposed them to a bigger audience than they're used to". Has she been on Mars for the last 20 years? She needs a wakeup call, Maiden is BIGGER than Ozzy.

If Ozzy played an arena tour on his own, he wouldn't sell out....Maiden on the other hand, has been on arena tours - and selling them all out - for longer than I can remember.

unifiedtheory
10-26-2005, 08:55 PM

Sickened is the only way to put it and stay within the TOS.

Maiden has been NOTHING but class for over 20 years. Pumping out GREAT records, entertaining and being RELEVENT. I listen to Powerslave and it is not dated, it gets better with time.

20 years after Number of the Beast they bring out Brave New World...in my opinion one of their best records. They still tour worldwide, playing GREAT shows (saw them for the 6th time on the Brave New World tour and it blew my doors off)...besically they kick ***....regardless of age. Hell, my 21 year old girlfriend, who had never even heard their stuff before we got together thinks they are great. I put on Piece of Mind and she can't believe it is 20 years old.

On the other hand, Ozzy is known more for a bad reality show, his untalented bratty kids, his self improtant wife, screwing up "Take me out to the Ballgame" and being a human trainwreck then being a musician.

Don't get me wrong, I love Black Sabbath and still listen to them often. That being said, I was never a big fan of Ozzy's solo stuff.

Ozzy epitomizes has been. His dear wife see's a band as great as Maiden, still kicking *** and taking names and can't stand it...

I'm glad her stunt blew up in her face...it showed she has NO class and Maiden is ALL class.

d-day
10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
i still like the music and the image of maiden with dianno better - were they more talented? not even close... the air raid siren schools dianno and technically nikko is much more of an elite and polished drummer than clive burr was - maybe it was the timing - i had the first 2 maiden records when they first came out so iron maiden to me was the original line-up and to me, bruce is more synonymous with samson - that's how i experienced it - btw, for those who haven't heard it, shock tactics is one of the great under-rated heavy metal records ever... riding with the angels and bright lights... :hump: - i think there will always be an allegiance or a favor to bands with the original line-ups that you grew up with... for me, i'll take original anthrax, van halen, guns and roses, aerosmith... although rock and a hard place w/ jimmy crespo and rick dufay is a kickass record and finally maiden with dianno... raw, hard and hungry

AirFishOne
10-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Dudes i never knew how good System of a Down kicked *** till i saw em, i saw em a coupel weeks ago, and they are AWESOME

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Dudes i never knew how good System of a Down kicked *** till i saw em, i saw em a coupel weeks ago, and they are AWESOME

Agreed...I love when they play Aerials in concert...they usually extend the song a couple minutes and it sounds nice :D

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Too bad they're not a metal band. ;)

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Too bad they're not a metal band. ;)

Right you are pagan...Im listening to some amateur play no boundaries and its making me really see how skilled michael angelo batio is right now. Sorry for getting off topic haha, i just learned this thing by him the other day here take a listen also its him playing in that one :lol:

http://www.guitarworld.com/mp3/2005-03/MABbycpt-fast.mp3

Anyway now to get back on topic im serious pagan pick some more Children of Bodom up and if you can check out these songs

Warheart
Hate me
Follow the Reaper
Are you Dead Yet

You get to really see how great of a guitarist Alexi Laiho is ;)

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Right you are pagan...Im listening to some amateur play no boundaries and its making me really see how skilled michael angelo batio is right now. Sorry for getting off topic haha, i just learned this thing by him the other day here take a listen also its him playing in that one :lol:

http://www.guitarworld.com/mp3/2005-03/MABbycpt-fast.mp3

Anyway now to get back on topic im serious pagan pick some more Children of Bodom up and if you can check out these songs

I'll have to check them out more....but you already know how I feel about Michael Angelo. ;)

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 07:26 AM
I'll have to check them out more....but you already know how I feel about Michael Angelo. ;)

Just another faster player on the list of thousands i know man. Actually im starting to believe you more on this we got a guy at my friends church named frank, guys been playing like 30 years and from what i saw i think hes just as good as batio. Hes got a killer setup using a PRS Custom 24, Line 6 floorboard playing through the pa system. For his house he uses a Old Marshall Stack when they were really good. [I only like the older stacks] If you want i can put a children of bodom song on putfile for ya to listen, Warheart...its got a nice solo and overall a good song. Ahh Dude Mr. Crowley just came on my list and again i gotta point out how amazing Randy Rhoads is especially in this song...ahh it almost brings me to tears.

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Ah Randy...I would have loved to see what he would have done if he didn't die and went off to play classical guitar like he was going to at the end of that tour.

Would have been something, huh? :(

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Ah Randy...I would have loved to see what he would have done if he didn't die and went off to play classical guitar like he was going to at the end of that tour.

Would have been something, huh? :(
Hell yeah man...hes my favorite all time guitarist...guys simply flat out amazing. Every single thing he ever wrote he wrote it like it was gonna be the last thing he'd ever play again, you can tell how much emotion that kid put in his work and im pretty sure he died at the age of 24 making him very young

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Budd, you wanna hear a pretty incredible player?

Check out this guy ----> Rob Burton (http://www.robburton.us/)

Listen to the song "Dreamstate".

He's an aquaintence of mine. ;)

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Budd, you wanna hear a pretty incredible player?

Check out this guy ----> Rob Burton (http://www.robburton.us/)

Listen to the song "Dreamstate".

He's an aquaintence of mine. ;)

Listening now its pretty good stuff...Download Yngwie Cant Touch this by Batio :evil: ...You'll see why i like him so much ;)

Pagan
10-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Listening now its pretty good stuff...Download Yngwie Cant Touch this by Batio :evil: ...You'll see why i like him so much ;)
Right off the bat Batio makes himself even more of a fool by obviously showing his jealousy over Yngwie.

Sorry Michael Angelo, Yngwie probably CAN'T touch that. He's too busy going on world tours and influencing other guitarists. ;)

Now Budd, I'm not saying Batio isn't fast, of course he is....but he's a machine. He has no emotion whatsoever. He impresses by flash, and that's IT.

They say that you should make the guitar talk when you play. If that's the case, Batio is the drunk guy at the party who won't shut up even though few people are listening. :lol:

Buddwalk
10-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Right off the bat Batio makes himself even more of a fool by obviously showing his jealousy over Yngwie.

Sorry Michael Angelo, Yngwie probably CAN'T touch that. He's too busy going on world tours and influencing other guitarists. ;)

Now Budd, I'm not saying Batio isn't fast, of course he is....but he's a machine. He has no emotion whatsoever. He impresses by flash, and that's IT.

They say that you should make the guitar talk when you play. If that's the case, Batio is the drunk guy at the party who won't shut up even though few people are listening. :lol:

Very true...I just like listening to his stuff for awe, but your right he just flash. I doubt you'll agree with me but I love old metallica stuff songs like Fade to Black, Battery, Four Horsemen, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets. Stuff like that where the whole song is good not just lil bits and pieces of it. I think many people underrate Kirk Hammett, he was a good guitarist just not the best...

Pagan
10-27-2005, 10:09 AM
You're wrong Budd...I WILL agree with you on old Metallica. Loved them back then.

On a different note, they just released a tribute album to IRON MAIDEN that just RULES! Normally I don't like tribute CDs, but MAN....check out the lineup on THIS baby! With the exception oif Mark Slaughter (gag), ALL-STAR metal lineup!!! :up:

It's called "Numbers of The Beast"

1. Run To The Hills

Vocals - Robin McAuley (MSG)
Lead Guitar - Michael Schenker (MSG)
Rhythm Guitar - Pete Fletcher (Pygmy Love Circus)
Bass - Tony Franklin (The Firm)
Drums - Brian Tichy (Billy Idol)

2. Wasted Years

Vocals - Dee Snider (Twisted Sister)
Lead Guitar - George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob)
Rhythm Guitar - Bob Kulick (Paul Stanley Band, Meatloaf)
Bass - Jeff Pilson (Dokken, Foreigner)
Drums - Jason Bonham (Bonham, Foreigner)

3. Wrathchild

Vocals - Paul DiAnno (Iron Maiden)
Lead Guitar - Alex Skolnick (Testament)
Rhythm Guitar - Chris Traynor (Helmet, Bush)
Bass - Frank Bello (Helmet, Anthrax)
Drums - John Tempesta (Helmet, Testament)

4. Flight Of Icarus

Vocals - Ripper Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth)
Guitars - Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake, Dio)
Bass - Jimmy Bain (Dio, Rainbow)
Drums - Simon Wright (Dio, AC/DC)

5. Fear Of The Dark

Vocals - Chuck Billy (Testament)
Guitars - Craig Goldy (Dio)
Bass - Rickie Phillips (Styx)
Drums - Mikkey Dee (Motorhead)

6. The Trooper

Vocals - Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
Guitars - Phil Campbell (Motorhead)
Guitars - Rocky George (Fishbone, Suicidal Tendencies)
Bass - Chuck Wright (Alice Cooper, Quiet Riot)
Drums - Chris Slade (AC/DC)

7. Aces High

Vocals - Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen, Soul Sirkus)
Guitars - Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme, Dramagods)
Bass - Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, Niacin)
Drums - Vinnie Appice (Black Sabbath, Dio)

8. 2 Minutes To Midnight

Vocals - Joe Lynn Turner (Deep Purple, Rainbow)
Guitars - Richie Kotzen (Mr. Big, Poison)
Guitars - Bob Kulick (Paul Stanley Band, Meatloaf)
Bass - Tony Franklin (The Firm)
Drums - Chris Slade (AC/DC, The Firm)

9. Can I Play With Madness?

Vocals - Mark Slaughter (Slaughter)
Guitars - Bruce Kulick (KISS, Grand Funk)
Bass - Marco Mendoza (Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent)
Drums - Aynsley Dunbar (David Bowie, Whitesnake)

10. The Evil That Men Do

Vocals - Chris Jericho (WWE Wrestler, Fozzy)
Lead Guitar - Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big, Racer X)
Rhythm Guitar - Bob Kulick (Paul Stanley Band, Meatloaf)
Bass - Mike Inez (Alice In Chains, Ozzy Osbourne)
Drums - Brent Fitz (Vince Neil, Union)

11. The Wicker Man

Vocals - Jon Bush (Anthrax, Armored Saint)
Lead Guitar - Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint)
Rhythm Guitar - Scott Ian (Anthrax)
Bass - Blasko (Rob Zombie)
Drums - Ben Graves (Murderdolls)

UncleCosmic
10-27-2005, 01:40 PM
"Numbers of The Beast"

I saw the press release on this-definitely one I have to pick up.

On a side note-BMG's Featured Selection this month is The Essential Iron Maiden. Even though I have every song on it in multiple formats, I ordered it anyway, because I'm a completist. Or an idiot, one of the two! The good thing was, it was a buy 1, get 3 free sale, so I also picked up:

The Best of Bruce Dickinson
Essential U.F.O.
Dream Theatre-Awake

Now I have enough music points for another free one-I'm thinking Dio-Anthology. :ally:

Pagan
10-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Bro, The BEst of Bruce Dickinson is INCREDIBLE! Wait until you hear the two new songs he recorded for that CD! :up:

d-day
10-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Bro, The BEst of Bruce Dickinson is INCREDIBLE! Wait until you hear the two new songs he recorded for that CD! :up:

any samson stuff on it...? riding with the angels etc.

UncleCosmic
10-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Thats the reason I got it! Can't wait!

Pagan
10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
any samson stuff on it...? riding with the angels etc.
Nah...all Bruce solo stuff.

d-day
10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
this record is old school but the scorpions first "lonesome crow" with a 16 year old michael schenker is outstanding...

Pagan
10-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Let's not forget Uli Jon Roth then. ;)

d-day
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
no doubt and how about the return of schenker on lovedrive... :hump:

d-day
10-27-2005, 04:58 PM
us hardcore metal lovers need to get into a nice long saxon discussion... :wink:

Pagan
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
us hardcore metal lovers need to get into a nice long saxon discussion... :wink:
Oh HEYAL yes!!! We opened for them a few years ago. What an incredible honor for me!

I have every Saxon album, even the ones that were never released in America! One of the GREATEST live bands EVER!

You have the newest one, Lionheart, D-Day?

Quelonio
10-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Cannot forget Motorhead, The ace of spades!

When Motorhead played in Mexico City, two days before them Hanson played, and there where rumors that Lemmy had actually been at the Hanson concert, they where published by one of the most important underground (although now they are no that much underground) music magazines in Mexico, called La mosca en la pared (for whomever does not speak spanish, the fly on the wall). It was on their news section, claiming that Lemmy actually knew all the songs and enjoyed the hanson concert a lot. PRobably bs but still, at the time I believed it.

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Lemmy wouldn't piss on Hanson if they were on fire. :tongue:

d-day
10-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh HEYAL yes!!! We opened for them a few years ago. What an incredible honor for me!

I have every Saxon album, even the ones that were never released in America! One of the GREATEST live bands EVER!

You have the newest one, Lionheart, D-Day?

nah pagan - and it's probably my bad - you know me - it's hard to listen to newer stuff from my old school faves - after denim and leather it started to sound a little too watered down for me - is it the original line-up? i luv the first 4 records though, especially...

denim and leather
wheels of steel
and my all time favorite: strong arm of the law :hump: - i luv dallas 1pm :wink:

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Not the same lineup anymore bro, but MAN, the last three CDs...Metalhead, Killing Ground and Lionheart are AMAZING!

Check 'em out if you get the chance. They actually got HEAVIER.

unifiedtheory
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
11. The Wicker Man

Vocals - Jon Bush (Anthrax, Armored Saint)
Lead Guitar - Jeff Duncan (Armored Saint)
Rhythm Guitar - Scott Ian (Anthrax)
Bass - Blasko (Rob Zombie)
Drums - Ben Graves (Murderdolls)

All of it sounds really great and I am picking it tomorrow....but the song I cut out....HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear Bush belting that one out...he's been a fave of mine for year.

d-day
10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Not the same lineup anymore bro, but MAN, the last three CDs...Metalhead, Killing Ground and Lionheart are AMAZING!

Check 'em out if you get the chance. They actually got HEAVIER.

with biff though i hope - heavier...? alright i'll check it out - not as raw though right...? :wink:

d-day
10-27-2005, 07:28 PM
this is the one for me... :hump:

3. Wrathchild

d-day
10-27-2005, 07:31 PM
remember sanctuary? - now that's a hard raw song right there fellas... :wink:

So give me Sanctuary from the law
And I'll be alright
Just give me Sanctuary from the law
And love me tonight...tonight

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
eith biff though i hope - heavier...? alright i'll check it out - not as raw though right...? :wink:
Of course with Biff bro! It ain't Saxon without Biff!

And actually, in some instances the newer albums are RAWER. If you get the Killing Ground double CD, the second disc is 8 Saxon classics re-recorded....HEAVIER.

~ Princess of the Night
~ Crusader
~ Wheels Of Steel
~ Motorcycle Man
~ Stong Arm of the Law
~ Denim & Leather
~ Dallas 1 PM
~ And The Band Played On

GREAT stuff! Lemme know if you want me to burn ya some. PM me your addy...

d-day
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Actually, in some instances RAWER. If you get the Killing Ground double CD, the second disc is 8 Saxon classics re-recorded....HEAVIER.

~ Princess of the Night
~ Crusader
~ Wheels Of Steel
~ Motorcycle Man
~ Stong Arm of the Law
~ Denim & Leather
~ Dallas 1 PM
~ And The Band Played On

GREAT stuff! Lemme know if you want me to burn ya some. PM me your addy...

done

Pagan
10-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I'll send you a mix of some of the best songs from the last 6 CDs then. ;)

Fin Fan in Cali
10-27-2005, 08:21 PM
this is the one for me... :hump:

3. Wrathchild

Vocals-Brian Johnson AC-DC
Lead Guitar-Angus Young AC-DC
Rhythm Guitar- Malcolm Young AC-DC
Bass-Cliff Williams AC-DC
Drums- Chris Slade AC-DC

Fin Fan in Cali
10-27-2005, 08:30 PM
As far as favorites go.

Morgan Rose-Drums
Gary Moore, Angus Young-Guitar
Rob Halford, Brian Johnson, David Draiman(Disturbed) James Hetfield-Vocals

You will ask why I didn't list any of these in my group, is because I was looking at continuity.;)

Fin Fan in Cali
10-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Drums- Chris Slade AC-DCBon Scott in the day for sure.

Pagan
10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Drums- Chris Slade AC-DC
I think you missed the point bro...the lineup he posted was on one of the songs on the Maiden tribute album.

Much as I love AC/DC, they wouldn't be able to play a Maiden song. ;)

d-day
10-27-2005, 11:09 PM
I think you missed the point bro...the lineup he posted was on one of the songs on the Maiden tribute album.

Much as I love AC/DC, they wouldn't be able to play a Maiden song. ;)

they play a mean elvis though - when i was playing clubs in ft myers, brian johnson and the drummer who both have places here in sw fla, used to come in and jam with us - elvis songs is always what we would always play :tongue:

Fin Fan in Cali
10-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Much as I love AC/DC, they wouldn't be able to play a Maiden song. ;)Sorry Bro I missed that one, my bad!;)

d-day
10-28-2005, 01:05 PM
fastway with fast eddie clark :hump: - david king had a set of pipes...

discuss...

Pagan
10-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Their debut album....dayum! "Say What You Will" and "We Become One"...CLASSICS! :up:

d-day
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Their debut album....dayum! "Say What You Will" and "We Become One"...CLASSICS! :up:

all i need is your love and you got me runnin... :hump:

ILPhinFan88
10-28-2005, 01:35 PM
And since its halloween dont forget......

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/B00000269101LZZZZZZZ-1.jpg

Pagan
10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
:roflmao:

Probably every BAD metal cliché is in that movie!!!! ALMOST as bad as "Rock Star"! :lol:

Some good Fastway tunes on the soundtrack though!

And since it's Halloween....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

ILPhinFan88
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
:roflmao:

Probably every BAD metal cliché is in that movie!!!! ALMOST as bad as "Rock Star"! :lol:

Some good Fastway tunes on the soundtrack though!

And since it's Halloween....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/t32108z95ni-1.jpg

Pagan
10-28-2005, 02:07 PM
While we're still close to the subject....we were talking about the Scorps before. If you like them, check out Axel Rudi Pell. Good stuff....

UncleCosmic
10-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Changing the subject...the last few days, I've been overloading on Priest. Just curious-what are your favorite Priest songs/albums?

Mine are: Touch of Evil
Victim of Changes
Demonizer
Ram it Down

And I have a guilty favorite-Metal Meldown!

Favorite album: British Steel

Pagan
10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Favorite songs:

~ Victim Of Changes
~ Beyond The Realms Of Death
~ Sinner
~ Genocide
~ Tyrant
~ The Sentinel

Favorite Album: Unleashed In The East

d-day
10-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Favorite songs:

~ Victim Of Changes
~ Beyond The Realms Of Death
~ Sinner
~ Genocide
~ Tyrant
~ The Sentinel

Favorite Album: Unleashed In The East

agreed - the songs on unleashed in the east sound much more killer than the studio versions of the same said songs - which segues into kiss alive 1 - all the live stuff on that record smokes the studio versions especially my all-time favorite kiss song firehouse and got to choose - but then when you listen to kiss alive 2 it's just the opposite for me - and i think the reason is simple: the production on destroyer, rock and roll over and love gun was better than the first 3 records and thus harder to reproduce live...

Buddwalk
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Cant believe i forgot great metal band to check out is Testament guys ;)

unifiedtheory
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Changing the subject...the last few days, I've been overloading on Priest. Just curious-what are your favorite Priest songs/albums?

Mine are: Touch of Evil
Victim of Changes
Demonizer
Ram it Down

And I have a guilty favorite-Metal Meldown!

Favorite album: British Steel

Fave songs:

The Sentinal (by a WIDE margin)
Jawbreaker
The Hellion/Electric Eye
Tyrant
Victim of Changes

Fave Album:

Defenders of the Faith BUT if you take away "The Sentinal" I'd have to go with Sad Winds of Destiny.

UncleCosmic
11-01-2005, 02:36 AM
First of all-we can never let this thread drop to page 3 again.

Now to business-Pagan and UT-What are your feelings on the Maiden albums with Blaze on vocals? I was, at first, totally against anyone other than the Air Raid Siren singing for the greatest band on Earth, but as I have matured, I realize that while Blaze was not Bruce, The X Factor and Virtual XI are very good albums. In fact, X Factor has become one of my favorite albums. I LOVE Blaze as a solo artist as well. Thoughts?

P.S.-got my order today-rocking to The Best of Bruce Dickinson right now!

Pagan
11-01-2005, 08:35 AM
The X-Factor was a good album, but Virtual XI sucked AZZ. Listen to Blaze in ALL the choruses. I know 'Arry has a tendency to write choruses that are the same phrase repeated a few times, but at least Bruce changed his pitch and inflection. Blaze sang the line the same way EVERY time. Boring and monotonous. He's MUCH better with Wolfsbane and solo.

And live.....egads the man was HORRIBLE.

And you're right about letting the thread slip. I wasn't around much this weekend or else it wouldn't have! :lol:

UncleCosmic
11-01-2005, 07:12 PM

I will agree with you with one exception-He OWNS Afraid to Shoot Strangers. I like his version better than Bruce's...I know, I know, blasphemy!

Also-if you don't have it, pick up B L A Z E-As Live As It Gets. Absolutely incredible-their cover of "Dazed and Confused" makes it worth every cent.

And you're right about letting the thread slip. I wasn't around much this weekend or else it wouldn't have! :lol:

Nor was I-I was working all weekend finishing up Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

unifiedtheory
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
First of all-we can never let this thread drop to page 3 again.

Now to business-Pagan and UT-What are your feelings on the Maiden albums with Blaze on vocals? I was, at first, totally against anyone other than the Air Raid Siren singing for the greatest band on Earth, but as I have matured, I realize that while Blaze was not Bruce, The X Factor and Virtual XI are very good albums. In fact, X Factor has become one of my favorite albums. I LOVE Blaze as a solo artist as well. Thoughts?

P.S.-got my order today-rocking to The Best of Bruce Dickinson right now!

In my opinion....Bruce is Maiden. I listened to X Factor a few times and could'nt get into it at all.

Dickenson is on another level entirely....could you have seen Maiden pulling off Brave New World with Blaze on vocals? Bruce pushes the band to be their best...

unifiedtheory
11-01-2005, 09:28 PM
The X-Factor was a good album, but Virtual XI sucked AZZ. Listen to Blaze in ALL the choruses. I know 'Arry has a tendency to write choruses that are the same phrase repeated a few times, but at least Bruce changed his pitch and inflection. Blaze sang the line the same way EVERY time. Boring and monotonous. He's MUCH better with Wolfsbane and solo.

Quality use of the word "egads"...:lol:

Pagan
11-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Quality use of the word "egads"...:lol:
Why thank you sir! :lol:

Just heard a KILLER version of "Louie Louie" on XM Radio performed by MOTORHEAD! :lol:

Lemmy rules! :rawk:

d-day
11-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Why thank you sir! :lol:

Just heard a KILLER version of "Louie Louie" on XM Radio performed by MOTORHEAD! :lol:

Lemmy rules! :rawk:

speaking of heavy metal covers...

born to be wild by raven and udo :eek:

Pagan
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh yea...and the flip side of the single, Inquisitor!!!!

d-day
11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
...and of course the old stand-by diamonds and rust by judas priest

any alcatrazz fans? and if so, did you like alcatrazz with steve vai or yngwie malmsteem better...

Buddwalk
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
...and of course the old stand-by diamonds and rust by judas priest

any alcatrazz fans? and if so, did you like alcatrazz with steve vai or yngwie malmsteem better...
Havnt heard much of alcatrazz but i know it was yngwies first stepping stone bascially...then they replaced him with steve vai. Any good?

Pagan
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Havnt heard much of alcatrazz but i know it was yngwies first stepping stone bascially...then they replaced him with steve vai. Any good?
Yngwie's SECOND stepping stone, actually. The first thing he did when he came to the States was STEELER with Ron Keel.

I LOVE Alcatrazz, especially "No Parole From Rock & Roll".

Kree Nakoorie, Hiroshima Mon Amour and Too Young To Die, Too Drunk To Live are awesome songs. :rawk:

UncleCosmic
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I've been spinning Dream Theater-Awake since it arrived on Monday, and all I can say is WOW. How did I not know about these guys before? Now I have to spend MORE money to get more of their albums...

...and Mike Portnoy is possibly the best drummer I've ever heard. Just had to add that.

Pagan
11-03-2005, 10:45 AM
I've been spinning Dream Theater-Awake since it arrived on Monday, and all I can say is WOW. How did I not know about these guys before? Now I have to spend MORE money to get more of their albums...

...and Mike Portnoy is possibly the best drummer I've ever heard. Just had to add that.
Man Cosmo, where the hell you been hiding? :lol:

You need to pick up Images & Words. That's probably Dream Theater's best work. I'd wait on getting their new one, Octavarium. Not too keen on that one. You can also try Train of Thought. They went with a harder approach on that album.

Portnoy is an incredible drummer, and also a really nice guy. I got to hang with him backstage at an Iron Maiden show, and he was really cool to talk to.

UncleCosmic
11-03-2005, 11:13 AM

Apparently, under a rock somewhere!

You need to pick up Images & Words. That's probably Dream Theater's best work. I'd wait on getting their new one, Octavarium. Not too keen on that one. You can also try Train of Thought. They went with a harder approach on that album.

Portnoy is an incredible drummer, and also a really nice guy. I got to hang with him backstage at an Iron Maiden show, and he was really cool to talk to.

Thank you for the advice-I'm off to Baltimore for a week to job hunt and spend time with my girl, so I'll be giving her these on my Christmas list (along with a Wes Welker jersey, of course!)

And backstage at an Iron Maiden show? I am officially jealous.

Pagan
11-03-2005, 12:13 PM
And backstage at an Iron Maiden show? I am officially jealous.

:evil: :tongue: :lol:

unifiedtheory
11-03-2005, 10:38 PM

TOTALLY agree on your Dream Theater points. "Images and Words" is brilliant.

I was'nt to high on "Octavarium" either. It had some highlights but in it's totality I found it a disappointment.

Like you said though Pagan...if you're getting into Dream Theater it begins and ends with "Images and Words".

d-day
11-04-2005, 02:44 PM
had to dig deep in the vaults but here's a couple of publicity photos of when i used to play in a heavy metal band - 2nd to right 1st pic - 2nd to left 2nd pic

unifiedtheory
11-05-2005, 03:40 PM
D-day...you know have me digging through old photos for my old bands publicity shots.......lord help us all if I find them.:lol:

NJFINSFAN1
11-05-2005, 08:20 PM
D-day...you know have me digging through old photos for my old bands publicity shots.......lord help us all if I find them.:lol:

Hey Uni! I found your old photo for you!

:rolleyes:

unifiedtheory
11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey Uni! I found your old photo for you!

:rolleyes:

:sidelol:

Fin Fan in Cali
11-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Great pics Brother D-Day!:beerbang:

d-day
11-10-2005, 02:34 PM
if you could have only one black sabbath record, which one would it be...

Pagan
11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
We Sold Our Souls For Rock & Roll, of course. ;)

D-Day, holy CRAP man! I never knew you were in a HAIR band! :lol: :rawk:

d-day
11-10-2005, 02:58 PM
We Sold Our Souls For Rock & Roll, of course. ;)

D-Day, holy CRAP man! I never knew you were in a HAIR band! :lol: :rawk:

aqua net and i used to be real good friends... :chuckle:

Pagan
11-10-2005, 03:21 PM
aqua net and i used to be real good friends... :chuckle:
Shhhhhh....I STILL hang out with him.

:lol:

Pagan
11-10-2005, 03:42 PM
By the way....just heard Black Wind, Fire & Steel on XM Radio and HAVE to ask....

Is Manowar the goofiest bunch of b@stards you've ever heard or what? :roflmao:

Buddwalk
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM

We sould our soul for rock n roll ;)

ILPhinFan88
11-10-2005, 03:59 PM

I like Mob Rules

Buddwalk
11-10-2005, 04:04 PM
If you could have only one Metallica album what would it be?

My vote goes for Ride the Lightning ;)

d-day
11-10-2005, 04:44 PM
By the way....just heard Black Wind, Fire & Steel on XM Radio and HAVE to ask....

Is Manowar the goofiest bunch of b@stards you've ever heard or what? :roflmao:

the answer to this question is... yes :stooges:

d-day
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM

born again for me - ian gillan sang his *** off - ended up having surgery on his throat after he recorded it...

ILPhinFan88
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
There was two bands that weren't around long that I really like, I play thier cd's all the time. What do you guys think of Kingdom Come & The Electric Boys?

Pagan
11-10-2005, 06:43 PM
There was two bands that weren't around long that I really like, I play thier cd's all the time. What do you guys think of Kingdom Come & The Electric Boys?
Now...this is just one man's opinion.

Kingdom Come = Led Zeppelin rip-offs.

The Electric Boys = always thought they were posers, but havent heard THAT much of them.

UncleCosmic
11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I like Mob Rules

This gets my vote as well. Dio is AWESOME.

d-day
11-10-2005, 07:11 PM

speaking of zep ripoffs... remember jason bonhams band? there lead singer was a plant clone but i gotta admit i loved the single wait for you - one thing about drummers in this genre vs today... everything was recorded with a live feel - everything today is too programmed and produced, especially the drums - john bonham was the absolute best at playing with a "live" feel - he played very loose

UncleCosmic
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM

The Electric Boys = always thought they were posers, but havent heard THAT much of them.

Seriously-get out of my head, dude. Yer freaking me out!:lol:

Pagan
11-10-2005, 07:19 PM
speaking of zep ripoffs... remember jason bonhams band? there lead singer was a plant clone but i gotta admit i loved the single wait for you - one thing about drummers in this genre vs today... everything was recorded with a live feel - everything today is too programmed and produced, especially the drums - john bonham was the absolute best at playing with a "live" feel - he played very loose
Dude...we opened for him once at a small club a few years back. Funniest thing I ever saw...the owner of the club had a little hotdog stand that he used during shows to sell to the sudience. Jason walks in for the soundcheck, and by the time his band was done he had eaten ALL The hotdogs!!! :roflmao:

Seriously-get out of my head, dude. Yer freaking me out!:lol:
:chuckle:

d-day
11-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Dude...we opened for him once at a small club a few years back. Funniest thing I ever saw...the owner of the club had a little hotdog stand that he used during shows to sell to the sudience. Jason walks in for the soundcheck, and by the time his band was done he had eaten ALL The hotdogs!!! :roflmao:

:chuckle:

:chuckle: i love band stories... i remember we opened up for molly hatchet and a couple of us guys thought we would show their lead singer danny joe brown how to party... :lol: - we're all sitting back stage pouring shots of jack and danny's laughing at us in the corner chugging a whole bottle...

Fin Fan in Cali
11-10-2005, 08:22 PM

The Electric Boys = always thought they were posers, but havent heard THAT much of them.You mean Kingdom Clone:rofl3:

ILPhinFan88
11-10-2005, 08:30 PM

Thats the the type reply I thought I'd get. Just thought I would check, that maybe be what they are but for some reason I keep listening. I probably have alot of cd's you guys wouldn't like much.But I do like most of the stuff you guys talk about in here.

unifiedtheory
11-10-2005, 08:31 PM
If you could have only one Metallica album what would it be?

My vote goes for Ride the Lightning ;)

Master of Puppets.

unifiedtheory
11-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath...raw raw raw.

d-day
11-12-2005, 01:51 AM
stryper rocks for jesus christ...

Buddwalk
11-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Testament :yes:

unifiedtheory
11-12-2005, 05:50 AM

:lol:

Pagan
11-12-2005, 09:16 AM
God's bumblebees.

d-day
11-12-2005, 06:00 PM
shhhhhh.... i loved stryper :foundout: :hide: :couch:

don't tell the god squad...

Pagan
11-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Am I the only one who thought that when Michael Sweet sang a ballad he sounded like Olivia Newton John?

:tongue:

Buddwalk
11-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Am I the only one who thought that when Michael Sweet sang a ballad he sounded like Olivia Newton John?

:yes:

d-day
11-12-2005, 07:17 PM

hey... i love olivia newton john

seriously though michael sweet was an outstanding guitarist - everything he played was so intricate and technical and he played with a lot of emotion - example: the solo for soldiers under command :eek: - also orchestrated beautiful vocal harmonies and wrote very good bridges - very under-rated songwriter, singer and guitarist... :whew:

can i go to heaven now... ;) :tongue:

Buddwalk
11-12-2005, 07:27 PM
hey... i love olivia newton john

seriously though michael sweet was an outstanding guitarist - everything he played was so intricate and technical and he played with a lot of emotion - example: the solo for soldiers under command :eek: - also orchestrated beautiful vocal harmonies and wrote very good bridges - very under-rated songwriter, singer and guitarist... :whew:

can i go to heaven now... ;) :tongue:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/11/msweet_guitar-1.jpg

Thats a sick looking jackson with looks like nice duncan pickups :D

I'm not a big fan of Stryper, but for some reason my moms got a cd of them haha, I believe its called Yellow and Black Attack. Not really bad stuff just im not all into it. Pretty Good Guitarist though, I'd have to hear more but i'll take your word for it

ILPhinFan88
11-12-2005, 08:39 PM
At the end of thier run didn't Stryper drop the religon in thier show?

Pagan
11-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Only problem is D-Day, Oz Fox played lead in Stryper. ;)

Wanna talk about an underrated guitarist and singer? Dave Meiniketti of Y&T. :yes:

d-day
11-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Wanna talk about an underrated guitarist and singer? Dave Meiniketti of Y&T. :yes:

they split em up - like most 2 guitar attacks - you can really tell who plays what though - there styles were so different -

sweet played the sweet ones... ;)

Megatron
11-13-2005, 12:56 AM

Wanna talk about an underrated guitarist and singer? Dave Meiniketti of Y&T. :yes: Stryper.......ughhhhhhh.........can I have the 80's blasted out of my mind please.

Pagan
11-13-2005, 08:56 AM
they split em up - like most 2 guitar attacks - you can really tell who plays what though - there styles were so different -

sweet played the sweet ones... ;)
My bad, I thought Fox played them all, al la Metallica or Anthrax. (I know, I can be flogged for putting Styper in the same sentence wirth 'Thrax! :lol: )

Stryper.......ughhhhhhh.........can I have the 80's blasted out of my mind please.
Why would you be posting in a thread about metal if you want the 80's blasted out of your mind...seeing as the best metal was created then?

Now if you wanted POSER metal blasted out of your mind....can't argue with you! :lol:

Fin Fan in Cali
11-13-2005, 10:28 AM

Wanna talk about an underrated guitarist and singer? Dave Meiniketti of Y&T. :yes:Y&T kicked more butt then a lot of the groups they opened for. A great Y&T cd is The Ultimate Collection. It starts off with Dirty Girl, and includes Hurricane, Rescue Me, Black Tiger, and many more.

ILPhinFan88
11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Tommy Lee playing drums for Nebraska

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20051114/D8DSCC4G8.html?PG=home&SEC=news

ILPhinFan88
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Angus Young Tops Maxim List of Short Men

Angus Young, lead singer-guitarist of AC/DC, tops Maxim's list of the "25 greatest short dudes of all time," standing tall at 5 feet 2 inches.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20051118/D8DUUF281.html?PG=home&SEC=news

Pagan
11-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Ever see those Southwest Airlines "Wanna Get Away?" commercials? I think this would qualify....

TWISTED SISTER Frontman Suffers Embarrassing Moment In Brighton

The latest edition of the Popbitch.com newsletter reports that when TWISTED SISTER performed in Brighton, England last week, frontman Dee Snider gave a shout-out to the crowd, saying, "The balcony is where all the REAL sick mother****ers are. They can't even stand up by show time. Let's have the house lights up to see them!"

When the house lights were raised, the band and audience reportedly found themselves looking back at the disabled section of the crowd, full of fans in wheelchairs.

ILPhinFan88
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Ever see those Southwest Airlines "Wanna Get Away?" commercials? I think this would qualify....

TWISTED SISTER Frontman Suffers Embarrassing Moment In Brighton

The latest edition of the Popbitch.com newsletter reports that when TWISTED SISTER performed in Brighton, England last week, frontman Dee Snider gave a shout-out to the crowd, saying, "The balcony is where all the REAL sick mother****ers are. They can't even stand up by show time. Let's have the house lights up to see them!"

When the house lights were raised, the band and audience reportedly found themselves looking back at the disabled section of the crowd, full of fans in wheelchairs.

Man, that would just suck, cant even imagine how Dee felt. Or even worse how those fans felt. :(

UncleCosmic
11-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Wow. Just....wow. Dee must have felt like a complete schmuck.

Pagan
11-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, knowing what a good egg Dee is....I mean, he's been saying that same shtick since the club days...he probably had NO idea that those people were handicapped.

Ten bux says he brought them all backstage after the show to make amends.

Pagan
11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Some new bands to check out....from your ol' Uncle Pagan. ;)

Kotipelto - Renowned singer of Stratovarius goes solo. Awesome stuff.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/11/coldness_cover-1.jpg

Dungeon - Great power metal from Australia

Axenstar - Great band from Scandinavia

Quelonio
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok, I read back there that System of a Down is not Metal, I am not a very Metal-knowledgeable guy, but in all honestly I alwasy thought of them as metal, maybe not like traditional metal, but definetely more metal than hair bands.... So why am I so wrong in what I am thinking??= :confused:

UncleCosmic
11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
First of all-BUMP. Secondly...Pagan-What is your assessment of Iced Earth, past, present, and future? I personally love The Glorious Burden, The Dark Saga, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. I was actually lucky enough to see them last year before the band parted company for who knows how long. The show was incredible and I really thought there was a bright future for them. Now, it seems we may never see them again-their website hasn't been updated in almost a year, and The Iced Realm has shut down as well.

Also-Barlow vs. Ripper? Your thoughts?

As an aside-Children of Bodom and Evergrey opened the IE show..COB I didn't care for, Evergrey I really liked.

Pagan
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Good questions Cosmo. I love Glorious Burden. As for Barlow vs. Ripper....too close to call. They're all told not one of my favorite bands, but they are good. I wouldn't go out of my way to see them, and like you said it appears I won't ever get the chance now anyway.

On a different note, I went ot BB King's in Manhattan last night and saw Seven Witches opening for Kamelot.

Now, I've been to literally hundreds of metal shows, so I don't say this lightly....

Kamelot was probably the best live metal band I've ever seen in all my years. They were SO f'ing good, that at first I thought they were playing the CD and lip synching. By FAR the tightest, most powerful band I'd ever heard live. Their drummer Casey Grillo is a machine. I've never heard a drummer so solid and amazing live.

It was the last night of the tour, and vocalist Khan was dead on. Usually the last night of a long tour, the singer is shot. Not Khan, he was amazing. This band right now is what Queensryche SHOULD have been.

Take it from me, you need to check this band out if you haven't already. Here's their official website ---> KAMELOT (http://www.kamelot.com/main_en_mephisto.htm)

And check out this video of a song off their latest album, The Black Halo.---> The Haunting (Somewhere In Time) (http://www.kamelot.com/thehaunting2.mov)

And if you don't believe me about Casey Grillo, here's his drum solo! (http://www.kamelot.com/video/CaseySoloMex1.wmv)

Seven Witches? Feh...too much of the Manowar, Dream Evil, devil horns in the air, "metaaaaaaaaaaaaal" lyric kind of bull****. I won't see them again.

But really, do yourself a favor and get into Kamelot. Now firmly residing in my top five bands. :rawk:

UncleCosmic
11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
But really, do yourself a favor and get into Kamelot. Now firmly residing in my top five bands. :rawk:

Normally, I have the Matthew Broderick character's attitude in The Cable Guy when it comes to newer metal bands-"I'm sorry, but I just don't have any room in my life right now for a new friend.":lol: But, I just checked out the links you provided, and I will be delving further into the world of Kamelot! Awesome stuff, bro! Thank you for the recommendation!

Also-if your band is ever playing in Maryland, you must be sure to let me know. I will be there with bells on!

Pagan
11-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Normally, I have the Matthew Broderick character's attitude in The Cable Guy when it comes to newer metal bands-"I'm sorry, but I just don't have any room in my life right now for a new friend.":lol:
Bro, you're doing yourself a GRAVE injustice then! There are MANY bands out there carrying the torch for metal and making INCREDIBLE music!

You really need to listen to Symphony X, Stratovarious, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Primal Fear, Adagio, and any other band I'll mention to ya! They're not "nü-metal", but tried and true classic metal, played with more talent than could possibly be imagined. I LOVE the old metal, but the players today are leagues ahead of where they were back then.

Don't sell yourself short man....check them all out! :up:

SuavePhin
11-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Not exactly Heavy but does anyone know the song title from the Ipod commercial (i think?) that U2 was playing? pm me or reply here if you know ty :D

PassRush
11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Dying Fetus needs to hurry up with their new album. I am craving new Fetus

Megatron
11-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Slayer!!! End of discussion.:lol:

Pagan
11-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Um....ok....what's the discussion? :lol:

Dolphin1184
11-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I am curious, did anyone go (or know someone who went) to the Metallica S&M concert in California?

Megatron
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Um....ok....what's the discussion? :lol: Heavy Metal, man. You started the darn thread.:lol:

Pagan
11-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Heavy Metal, man. You started the darn thread.:lol:
So metal begins and ends with Slayer? :lol:

Man, you're missing some GOOD sh*t!!! ;)

I am curious, did anyone go (or know someone who went) to the Metallica S&M concert in California?
Haven't seen Metallica since "The Black Album" tour. Won't waste my time. ;)

NJFINSFAN1
11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
So metal begins and ends with Slayer? :lol:

Man, you're missing some GOOD sh*t!!! ;)

Haven't seen Metallica since "The Black Album" tour. Won't waste my time. ;)

Megatron needs an oil change!:lol:

Pagan
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
It's about f'ing time! :rawk:

RAINBOW: Classic 1977 Concert To Receive DVD Release

According to a posting on Deep-Purple.net, RAINBOW's 1977 concert in Munich, Germany is finally being prepared for official DVD release. This is the only known concert by the Blackmore / Powell / Dio incarnation of the band to be filmed in full. It will appear first in Japan, probably as a two single-layer disc NTSC set. Contrary to the impression given in some news sources, it WILL then appear in the rest of the world early in 2006 but as a single-disc dual layer release. The European edition will contain an extra commentary, written by RAINBOW biographer Roy Davies, extra packaging, etc. As well as the full concert (including guitar demolition and some great shots of the famous electronic rainbow), there are interviews, extra RAINBOW promos etc.

This show has been bootlegged extensively in a number of formats, but this new release will be pristine quality with remastered audio etc. Those who have seen the test copy say it's excellent. For those who never saw RAINBOW in their early days, a real treat. For those who did, a reminder of what an awesome band they were at the time.

d-day
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM

nice - ritchie b in his prime -

here's a cool metal/hairband song... scared - dangerous toys

Pagan
11-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Ya think DT was hairband, bro? I ranked them more in a Jackyl-like vein.

Buddwalk
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

d-day
11-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Ya think DT was hairband, bro? I ranked them more in a Jackyl-like vein.

i always thought they were... just minus the glam/schtick - great band though - you guys remember helix and heavy pettin...?

UncleCosmic
11-29-2005, 02:11 AM

:rawk: :rawk: Goes double for me!

LtDan
11-29-2005, 03:43 AM

You have the newest one, Lionheart, D-Day?I saw Saxon in a small venue in Ipswitch England back in 1990. Excellent show!!

LtDan
11-29-2005, 03:46 AM

don't tell the god squad...To Hell With the Devil...loved that song

S-Salvation
T-Through
R-Redemption
Y-Yielding
P-Peace and
E-Everlasting
R-Righteousness

LtDan
11-29-2005, 03:47 AM

Wanna talk about an underrated guitarist and singer? Dave Meiniketti of Y&T. :yes:First metal album I ever bought....Y & T- Mean Streak

d-day
11-29-2005, 03:48 AM
I saw Saxon in a small venue in Ipswitch England back in 1990. Excellent show!!

:whistle: speaking of saxon... where's my cd pagan...?! :club:

LtDan
11-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Angus Young Tops Maxim List of Short Men

Angus Young, lead singer-guitarist of AC/DC, tops Maxim's list of the "25 greatest short dudes of all time," standing tall at 5 feet 2 inches.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20051118/D8DUUF281.html?PG=home&SEC=news

Another GREAT short dude!! Ronnie James Dio 5'3"

LtDan
11-29-2005, 03:52 AM
i was at this show:AC/DC - Live at Donington (1991):http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E2FLC/103-6706949-4454237?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/11/B0000E2FLC01_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

Pagan
11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
I saw Saxon in a small venue in Ipswitch England back in 1990. Excellent show!!
I opened up for them 5 years ago. :D

:whistle: speaking of saxon... where's my cd pagan...?! :club:
Man, you toasty bastich! Didn't we say I'd give it to you at the Jet game? :lol:

You are going to the Jet game, right?

I'm also making you a sampler CD of the newer prog stuff for ya. Kamelot, Symphony X, Adagio, Gamma Ray, etc. etc....

And...if ya want it of course, I can throw in a Livesay cd. ;)

LtDan
11-29-2005, 08:53 AM

Man, you toasty bastich! Didn't we say I'd give it to you at the Jet game? :lol:

I'm also making you a sampler CD of the newer prog stuff for ya. Kamelot, Symphony X, Adagio, Gamma Ray, etc. etc....

And...if ya want it of course, I can throw in a Livesay cd. ;)Hell for a Livesay CD, I would have driven the 12 hours to the Jet game....guess I didn't get the memo!:(

UncleCosmic
11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Death On The Road DVD - Release Date Announced

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif IRON MAIDEN have now confirmed the release date of their much anticipated DVD release DEATH ON THE ROAD for 6th February 2006 through EMI Records. This will initially be available as a limited edition special digipack.

To ensure top quality and to avoid any compromise in reproducing the very best possible sound and picture quality, the band have taken the unprecedented step of making the full concert available on two separate discs – one with full traditional stereo soundtrack and the other with specially mixed 5.1 sound by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley – which along with the special features disc makes three discs in all.

Pagan
11-29-2005, 11:11 PM
I can't wait for the DVD! I um...aquired the CD and it sounds INCREDIBLE! :rawk:

Buddwalk
11-30-2005, 03:03 AM

And...if ya want it of course, I can throw in a Livesay cd. ;)

Sh!t i'll drive to the jets game for a livesay cd :D Your stuff rocks man...keep rocking on pagan. BTW LT I have that ACDC Dvd ;)

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 03:49 AM
YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Death On The Road DVD - Release Date Announced

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif IRON MAIDEN have now confirmed the release date of their much anticipated DVD release DEATH ON THE ROAD for 6th February 2006 through EMI Records. This will initially be available as a limited edition special digipack.

To ensure top quality and to avoid any compromise in reproducing the very best possible sound and picture quality, the band have taken the unprecedented step of making the full concert available on two separate discs – one with full traditional stereo soundtrack and the other with specially mixed 5.1 sound by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley – which along with the special features disc makes three discs in all.

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

HansMojo
11-30-2005, 04:45 AM

don't tell the god squad...

Oh, you've totally been found out by the God squad dude. :lol:

I don't know if you knew this, but they have a new CD:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A7Q2IM/qid=1133340031/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4193914-7839110?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

I saw Stryper in concert years ago and almost got hit in the head with one of those yellow and black Bibles they'd throw at the crowd. Ah, good times...

d-day
11-30-2005, 05:14 AM
Oh, you've totally been found out by the God squad dude. :lol:

I don't know if you knew this, but they have a new CD:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000A7Q2IM/qid=1133340031/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4193914-7839110?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

I saw Stryper in concert years ago and almost got hit in the head with one of those yellow and black Bibles they'd throw at the crowd. Ah, good times...

my best friend and i even went to church once after getting into stryper... once :wink:

HansMojo
11-30-2005, 06:03 AM
my best friend and i even went to church once after getting into stryper... once :wink:

Not that I'm gonna hold my breath, but I'll buy you their new CD if it will get you in for a return trip. Pagan will never have to know... :lol:

HansMojo
11-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Ok first of all, I know this is the Heavy Metal thread...but it's the only guitarist I ever got my picture taken with. At least he was in a famous rock band. Second, this pic was taken 18 years ago so no making fun of my wannabe mullet (I'm the geek on the left). And third, does anyone recognize the tall dude in the middle? I know some of you metal heads were closet fans of these guys. Don't be ashamed to admit it. We all had our moments of weakness. At least he wasn't in Poison. I have to head to bed, but I will reveal his name tomorrow if no one gets it first.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/11/avws6dl-1.jpg

Pagan
11-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Not that I'm gonna hold my breath, but I'll buy you their new CD if it will get you in for a return trip. Pagan will never have to know... :lol:
Hey hey hey...leave your "recruiting tactics" out of my metal thread! :lol:

Now that we're done talking about God's Bumble Bees, let's move on to some REAL metal bands. :D

Just found out that Loudness - with the original lineup - will be coming through my area next March. Can't wait to see Akira Takasaki live! :rawk:

d-day
11-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Hey hey hey...leave your "recruiting tactics" out of my metal thread! :lol:

Now that we're done talking about God's Bumble Bees, let's move on to some REAL metal bands. :D

Just found out that Loudness - with the original lineup - will be coming through my area next March. Can't wait to see Akira Takasaki live! :rawk:

what happened to the ex ezo guys... hiro the drummer and the singer masaki? talk about an ironic segue from stryper to loudness... i saw stryper, loudness and tnt as a triple bill a good while back in lakeland, fl - :hmmm: a christian, a pagan and an agnostic... i smell a sitcom :chuckle:

Pagan
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
"The Odd Triangle"? :tongue:

HansMojo
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
oh man, nobody even tried to guess who the guitarist was in that picture I posted last night. Oh well. It was Adrian Vandenberg. Whitesnake had a show in Honolulu that weekend and I was picking up a friend at the airport and ran into them. Adrian was the only one that had time for a picture.

NJFINSFAN1
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Listening to Sabbath with Dio now! Man that was some good stuff!!!!

Pagan
11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
oh man, nobody even tried to guess who the guitarist was in that picture I posted last night. Oh well. It was Adrian Vandenberg. Whitesnake had a show in Honolulu that weekend and I was picking up a friend at the airport and ran into them. Adrian was the only one that had time for a picture.
I knew who it was, I was seeing if anyone else would get it....and actually I knew him from before Whitesnake. He had a nasty accident not long after being in Whitesnake. He was standing on the corner and a truck passed by and he was clipped by the sideview mirror.

HansMojo
11-30-2005, 04:48 PM
I knew who it was, I was seeing if anyone else would get it....and actually I knew him from before Whitesnake. He had a nasty accident not long after being in Whitesnake. He was standing on the corner and a truck passed by and he was clipped by the sideview mirror.
Is that what brought on his neck and wrist issues I've heard about? I didn't know he was clipped by a truck mirror. Ouch. Anyway, He seemed like a really nice guy and actually talked with us for a couple minutes.

Pagan
11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Yea that's why. He definitely is a nice guy too. :)

Pagan
12-01-2005, 12:19 PM
New tour that might be coming to the States next Spring....

A "G3" type tour with Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and Wolf Hoffman of Accept.

Interesting.....

Also found out that next April my band will playing at the "Guitar Wars Festival" in Rochester, NY. Dates haven't been set yet, and the location will probably be the Steel Music Hall. Any of you living near there, c'mon out. :D

d-day
12-01-2005, 08:48 PM
New tour that might be coming to the States next Spring....

A "G3" type tour with Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth and Wolf Hoffman of Accept.

Interesting.....

Also found out that next April my band will playing at the "Guitar Wars Festival" in Rochester, NY. Dates haven't been set yet, and the location will probably be the Steel Music Hall. Any of you living near there, c'mon out. :D

wolf's work on restless and wild was outstanding - i love when he used the octaver on his solos :rockon:

ILPhinFan88
12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
There is gonna be a cage fight/ultimate fighting competition near me soon. Guess who opens up the show........ Skid Row, isn't that kind of wierd?

http://www.roycegracie.tv/fs/

Den54
12-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey Pagan, ever a fan of April Wine?