PDA

View Full Version : OT: Regarding weathermen/women

jgarMD
10-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Is it just me, or is it that weather men/women get off on these damn hurricane reports. It almost seems like they get saddened when the hurricanes slow down in intensity. There was one guy I was hearing, who I could have sworn said...."The storm has weakened, but hopefully will pick back up to Category 5 intensity".....LOL...it is really kind of annoying to watch these weather people get "off" on the hurricanes. Is it like this in Florida, or are the weatherpeople more reasonable and less schizo about this.

unifiedtheory
10-20-2005, 11:08 PM
It is one of the few times in history when weathermen/woman can feel relevent.

jgarMD
10-20-2005, 11:20 PM
I just listened to the Weather Channel, and they are NOW saying that this Storm has missed "the bus" and the pressure system out of the West that was going to stream this storm towards S Florida has passed and that this now likely means that the Storm will not hit Florida untill Late Sunday and perhaps be downgraded all the way too a Tropical Storm. I hope this is the case, and the amount of damage is minimal.

If we get the win, and the Hurricane peters out and we get a few days more of rest, things will be good.

Lets hope this is the case...I am sure though, that when I watch an updated report on the Hurricane, some weatherman will be trying to spin it to a sitaution that increases the probability that this storm reintensifies..LOL

Awsi Dooger
10-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Not as pathetic as something I heard on FOX News last year. When Bill Clinton was going in for multiple bypass open heart surgery, I was watching Fox when an anchor named John Gibson said this: "The bad news for people who dislike him (Clinton) is that these types of operations are so successful."

I swear that's what he said. I almost expected Fox to put up a countdown to death, listing possible odds at varying points of the surgery.

Here is a link to verify. Scroll down to September 4.
http://freedomrider.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_freedomrider_archive.html

Coral Reefer
10-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Is it just me, or is it that weather men/women get off on these damn hurricane reports. It almost seems like they get saddened when the hurricanes slow down in intensity. There was one guy I was hearing, who I could have sworn said...."The storm has weakened, but hopefully will pick back up to Category 5 intensity".....LOL...it is really kind of annoying to watch these weather people get "off" on the hurricanes. Is it like this in Florida, or are the weatherpeople more reasonable and less schizo about this.

Yeah, they do.

Personally I like the reports from different locations 24 hours before a storm even hits.

" As you can see here at the beach, while it's still a beautiful sunny day, a stiff breeze has picked up. The winds are strong enough to bend these dandelions over here yet people are still braving the conditions and haven't left. "

kastofsna120
10-20-2005, 11:36 PM
yeah i remember a weatherman saying "damn! only 6 people killed this time! i wish it was 50!"

lol @ this thread

DPlus47
10-21-2005, 01:52 AM
if it bleeds, it leads! it's all about entertainment, and, unfortunately, that doesn't involve caring about people. what was it perry farrell sang in the late '80's, that becomes more relevant with each passing year: "now the news is just another show / with sex and violence..."

endorPHINS72
10-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Not as pathetic as something I heard on FOX News last year. When Bill Clinton was going in for multiple bypass open heart surgery, I was watching Fox when an anchor named John Gibson said this: "The bad news for people who dislike him (Clinton) is that these types of operations are so successful."

I swear that's what he said. I almost expected Fox to put up a countdown to death, listing possible odds at varying points of the surgery.

Here is a link to verify. Scroll down to September 4.
http://freedomrider.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_freedomrider_archive.html

That doesn't surprise me. FOX News is the television equivelant of the National Enquirer.

mor911
10-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Pretty sure that all they get during the hurricane season is TV exposure. A job like weatherman is most definitely a salary based job. The Mor doubts the network is giving them OT for all of their extra time. It would be normal for them to receive a hurricane bonus though.

Miamian
10-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Living in Miami most of my life I really don't recall any meterologist expressing disappointment at the weakening of a storm. They do often use the term "favorable" regarding potential for a storm to intensify. It's not as if they're hoping that a storm does intensify, it just means that conditions exist for that to happen.