PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Problem

Jimi
10-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Basically my PS2 just flat out stopped working. It just says disc read error when i try and play a game. Any tips what i should do? And when the heck is the PS3 coming out so i can get rid of this piece of junk.

Slappy8800
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
HA! join the club....call sony, they will fix it for free...just pay for shipping and wait a few months....or do what i did, buy an xbox....or a 360 since its a few months away

ether79
10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Basically my PS2 just flat out stopped working. It just says disc read error when i try and play a game. Any tips what i should do? And when the heck is the PS3 coming out so i can get rid of this piece of junk.

Try this it always works for me. I have an original launch day PS2 any have did it many times. http://www.tombraidercheats.addr.com/wwwboard/messages/2203.html

Slappy8800
10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Try this it always works for me. I have an original launch day PS2 any have did it many times. http://www.tombraidercheats.addr.com/wwwboard/messages/2203.html

be aware, if you do that sony will not fix it

Nappy Roots
10-27-2005, 06:39 PM
i was having that problem. i bought a cleaner for it. just a disc that goes in there and cleans it. its worked ever since.

ether79
10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
be aware, if you do that sony will not fix it

Oh i know, they make some PS2s and every game here in Terre Haute at Sony DADC, I worked there for a year after graduating. I'm just cheap though, I can buy a new PS2 for around 80$ at the Sony store.

Jimi
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, ill decide which one to do.

Anyone know about expected release dates for the two new systems?

Caps
10-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, ill decide which one to do.

Anyone know about expected release dates for the two new systems?

PS3 is supposed to come out around fall 06. I have no idea about Revolution though.

Jimi
11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks a lot man! followed the site you gave me and is working again.

ether79
11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks a lot man! followed the site you gave me and is working again.

:up: NP man, like I said my PS2 in an original release date one and I have did that about 10 times and it still keeps ticking.

Jimi
07-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Hey sorry to re-open this this thread but im having problems again and that site link seems to be down. Any help?

banzaitrey
07-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Im having same problems so if you find the site can you please post the address...Thanks

Dors156
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
thats what happened to mine but i bought a 360 and it is sweet.im not going to buyps3 because chances are its the same thing.and it costs 600 bucks.i cant afford that lol

SKing29
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I have posted these tips in another thread and I can pretty much guarantee one of my tips will fix your PS2 problems. See my PS2 has went down a lot and I've had to repair it, so if anyone wants to give my tips a try they will at least help you out in some way.

First, when you take the PS2 apart and have access to the laser you will see this white gear that you can click to different positions (this is in the old big PS2's not the new one slinder PS2s, also the clicking of the gear raises or lowers your laser). Make sure to mark the gear when you start turning it (it has a little black mark on it already so its easy) so at the worst your no worse then when you started. Ok click the gear about two or three clicks either way you wish and simply but back on the laser cover (don't rescrew it just hold it in place) and see if your problems fixed if not just keep trying the clicking on around at two to three click intervals until you find success or get too frustrated. This should work if the Disc Cleaner or laser cleaning didn't work, but I have more you can do.

Second, this is simple. Ok when you have access to the laser you will see that it travels on two rods. See after a while the lubrication has worn off the rods and they have to be re-lubricated. Ok you can use like some oil or something (stay away from 3 in 1 oil it collects dust), but what I used and I'd say you already have this in your house and it is simply Vaseline. Just take a little of that and put it on your fingers and grease up the rods the laser travels on and this I know for a fact that this had my old PS2 running like it was brand new until it had to be re-lubed again.

Third, this is a last resort that I tried before I greased the rods but thats how my luck goes. What is involved here is adjusting the voltage that runs the DVD-ROMS and standard CD-ROMS. It is very detailed but can be done. So if my other tips don't work just post back or PM me and I can give you a link to tell you exactly how to adjust the PS2's voltage. Good Luck.

King Felix
07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
my xbox does this. its damn annoying im play fifa online or nba 2k6 and gets a dirty disk error.

Stitches
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
My ps2 only won't play Gran Turismo 4. It frustrates me to no end. I know I need to just get a cleaning disc, but I always forget when I go out.

dolphinfan2k5
07-02-2006, 09:47 PM
My ps2 only won't play Gran Turismo 4. It frustrates me to no end. I know I need to just get a cleaning disc, but I always forget when I go out.

Woah I just tried to play that today and its not reading for me either. All the other games are.