PDA

View Full Version : Manny to...?

RWhitney014
10-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Apparently, the Red Sox are livid that the trade demand was leaked. It seems like this is an annual occurrence, but it's different this time. The Red Sox could be so frustrated that they might want to get some of Manny's salary off the books.

Who's he going to go to? The Mets will always be a player, but trading Beltran would be admitting a huge mistake, and why would the Sox take on that much salary?

The Yankees? Yeah, right.

A dark horse could be the Marlins. They've always been named as being interested in Manny and would need the Red Sox to eat at least half the salary, but the Sox could need a 3B and CF, and the Marlins would love to trade Mike Lowell and would trade Juan Pierre if it meant landing Manny Ramirez, who lives in Weston.

Who knows? But it could be interesting.

PHINATIC13
10-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Angels fan here. Our two biggest needs are left-handed relief pitcher and someone with power to protect Vlad.Mr.Ramirez would do just fine by me.:D

Ray Finkle
10-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Apparently, the Red Sox are livid that the trade demand was leaked. It seems like this is an annual occurrence, but it's different this time.

More like every 3 to 6 months. :lol:

I'll believe it when I see it. Obviously as a Red Sox fan I don't want Manny going anywhere for 3 reasons:

1.) Trading Manny means you lose the 2 best hitters in your line up. Both Manny and Ortiz. Ortiz will be treated like Barry Bonds and what player on the Red Sox current line up would bat behind him to scare the pitcher enough into actually pitching to him? Trot Nixon? :lol:

2.) Manny is a Hall of Fame hitter. In my opinion there are only a very select group of players that Manny is worthy enough to be traded straight up for (Arod, Pujols, Vlad). The Sox won't get those guys and the rumored trades like Manny to the Mets for Heilman, Cameron, Milledge and Petit isn't the answer.

3.) The fans will be very very very mad. I bet that if Manny is traded at all he'll be traded after December for the simple reason that that's after tickets go on sale. The Sox realize that by trading Manny some die hard fans in Boston won't buy tickets to see the team (see the years after both Clemens and Mo left, Mo wasn't as bad because they brought in Pedro right away). The new FO is all about getting revenue, I mean come on they're selling sod from Fenway Park on the internet! I'm surprised they aren't selling dirt or used sunflower seeds from the players.

Obviously Manny has the ultimate say in the decision as he has the no trade claus for being a 10/5 guy. Hell today Manny might want to stay and by the end of the week Manny might want to left. He's a great ball player but he's got a child-like brain. He says if he's no traded he won't show up for ST, well if I were the GM of the Red Sox I'd call that bluff. The team needs Manny. Hopefully #24 will be in LF in April wearing the grey road RS uniform in Texas. But who really knows, it can't be a normal winter in "Red Sox Nation" land. :lol:

Ray Finkle
10-30-2005, 06:01 PM
A dark horse could be the Marlins. They've always been named as being interested in Manny and would need the Red Sox to eat at least half the salary, but the Sox could need a 3B and CF, and the Marlins would love to trade Mike Lowell and would trade Juan Pierre if it meant landing Manny Ramirez, who lives in Weston.

There's no way the Sox trade Manny for Pierre and Lowell. Pierre would be interesting however numerous members of the Red Sox F.O. have said in public (i.e. WEEI) around the A.J. Burnett trade rumors that they don't want Lowell because they feel that baseball's new drug policy (aka steroid testing) has hurt Lowell. He's a very good defensive 3rd baseman however the Red Sox have Kevin Youkilis waiting in the wings if they decide not to resign Bill Mueller.

I could see the Marlins offering Delgado, Pierre and possibly a prospect for Manny and Bronson Arroyo.

finfansince72
10-30-2005, 11:45 PM
I think the Red Sox should just keep Manny. If he doesnt want to report then he wont get paid. Theres just no way that they can get a player of his caliber back in return. Theres only 3 or 4 hitters in the entire league that are in his class. Manny and his agent can run their mouths all day and night, Manny is leaving like 20mill on the table if he decides to not play this year.

unifiedtheory
10-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Angels fan here. Our two biggest needs are left-handed relief pitcher and someone with power to protect Vlad.Mr.Ramirez would do just fine by me.:D

I would like to add....that would make me want to throw up.:tongue:

DonShula84
10-31-2005, 02:16 AM

Manny at DH wow

MikeO
10-31-2005, 09:31 AM
The Marlins won't trade for Manny. They won't pay him what he would demand. Wherever he goes he is going to want a contract extension, the Marlins won't give him that.

Cleveland or LAA are the top 2 choices clearly. The Mets would take him but they aren't parting with Beltran. Maybe a package of players which would include Mike Cameron.

The Red Sox can't keep him at this point because the "drama" that would cause and the circus atmosphere just isn't worth it. Manny hates the city of Boston and the fans and the way they treat him off the field. Never giving him peace when he is away from the ballpark. The Sox have to trade him, there are only about 5 teams that will pay his contract. Should be interesting. I see him gone by mid-January.

Ferretsquig
10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
The Marlins won't trade for Manny. They won't pay him what he would demand. Wherever he goes he is going to want a contract extension, the Marlins won't give him that.

The Red Sox can't keep him at this point because the "drama" that would cause and the circus atmosphere just isn't worth it. Manny hates the city of Boston and the fans and the way they treat him off the field. Never giving him peace when he is away from the ballpark. The Sox have to trade him, there are only about 5 teams that will pay his contract. Should be interesting. I see him gone by mid-January.

No chance the Marlins even make a play. I think they are dumping salary this year and looking for a place to move to once their lease expires.

Manny is staying right where he is, if the sox have any sense. They love the drama...it keeps fans interested and talking about their team. Really, who gives a **** what Manny thinks?

Ray Finkle
10-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Cleveland or LAA are the top 2 choices clearly. The Mets would take him but they aren't parting with Beltran. Maybe a package of players which would include Mike Cameron.

Manny's demands? A contract extension? Where did you hear that one from? Manny doesn't want a contract extension, he's said numerous times that once his current contract is done, he's done with baseball. He wants to go back to the Dominican and live on a farm.

Cleveland won't take Manny either. I know it's one of Manny's choices and they probably have young prospects/players that the Sox could want however I don't see them taking on his contract, ego, attitude, etc with all their young talent. Plus getting him would cost Cleveland (imo) at least Hafner, Sizemore or Crisp and possibly Cliff Lee. I doubt Cleveland would make that swap.

The Angels are probably the best fit. The Sox have said already that they won't touch Finley, but Estrad might be interesting as he's a gold glove 1st baseman and CFer. Also the Angels have some prospects too the Sox might be interested in (Ervin Santana and Brandan Wood). Also LAA are trying to get more of a fan base and attention and bringing in a guy like Manny would do that. Especially since LAA are trying to out do the LAD.

As a Red Sox fan I don't want to touch Cameron, even before his injury. He's a huge ? with his injury and there's been no reports on how he's doing or if he even started work outs. Plus fans and the media ran Bellhorn out of town due to his K rate. They would KILL Cameron.

In my opinion the sleepers in the Manny trade rumor could be Arizona and Texas. Both have money and players that the Red Sox could want. Plus Josh Byrnes is the new GM of the DBacks and I'm sure he's looking to make a splash in the market and get his name out there.

I disagree the Red Sox can keep Manny because this happens every 3 to 6 months. It's more about the media than the fans because Manny barely goes out. He's a quiet guy who likes to show up and play not go bar hopping. Wells is the one who wants out of Boston due to the fans always bugging him when he goes out. Manny doesn't like how the media jumps all over him if he doesn't run out a routine ground ball yet he doesn't get any credit for carrying the team for the last 3 weeks of the season or being 1 of 3 players who showed up to play in the playoffs (Ortiz and Papelbon were the others). Yet when someone like Nixon (who's home grown and always quote worthy and buddy/buddy with the media) can't hit a ball to the warning track the last 2 months of the season continues to suck no one says anything about it. Trust me the players LOVE Manny, he's not a distraction as the media likes to make it. Also Manny is one of the first players at the ball park each day working on both hitting and fielding. But of course that never gets mentioned in the press because it's not good gossip.

FaninPatsyLand
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM

That post right there proves you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to this situation.

A contract extension? Where the hell have you been? He's done with baseball in 3 more years and he's said it numerous times...

Now he hates the city and the fans? Do you know him personally? Granted he hates the media but who doesn't hate the Boston media?

He may very well get traded, but it will be for none of the reasons you just mentioned.

Ray Finkle
10-31-2005, 05:49 PM
That post right there proves you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to this situation.

A contract extension? Where the hell have you been? He's done with baseball in 3 more years and he's said it numerous times...

Now he hates the city and the fans? Do you know him personally? Granted he hates the media but who doesn't hate the Boston media?

He may very well get traded, but it will be for none of the reasons you just mentioned.

:shakeno:

FaninPatsyLand
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
:shakeno:

:lol:

That's classic..

MikeO
10-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, Im sure you all know that Manny has club options in year 4 and 5 of his current deal at $20 mill a year. You think he is walking away from that if a team picks that up?? LOL, ok whatever!

And his NEW agent has already told the Mets (unofficially of course) they would like a 1-year extension to his current deal.

But I'm sure you all knew that already too....:rolleyes: :shakeno:

RWhitney014
10-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, Im sure you all know that Manny has club options in year 4 and 5 of his current deal at $20 mill a year. You think he is walking away from that if a team picks that up?? LOL, ok whatever!

And his NEW agent has already told the Mets (unofficially of course) they would like a 1-year extension to his current deal.

And I'm sure you know that if his new agent told the Mets that it would be meddling on the Mets' part and they would be punished in a big way by the league and wouldn't be allowed to acquire him, right?

And even if that wasn't punishable, care to back that statement up with a link? If it's unofficial and there's no report, how are we supposed to assume that's true?

Here's a published report from USA Today mentioning his intent to retire after this current contract. And re: the Marlins, if they can convince Boston to take Lowell and Pierre and to eat half of Ramirez' contract (which is possible if the Sox really want to get rid of the headache), then they'd only be spending $6.67 million more for Manny than they would be without him. That's worth it for a hitter like that. Or they could offer up Lowell and Carlos Delgado, if they really wanted Manny, and that would require Boston to eat less of the contract. There are ways for Florida to do it, and Larry Beinfest is a very creative GM (he saved $23 million by sending Charles Johnson and Preston Wilson to Colorado for Mike Hampton and Pierre and convinced the Braves into taking most of Hampton's contract). And if you're in Florida's shoes, you're looking at the small possibility (emphasis on small and possibility, not probability) of having future stud Jeremy Hermida-Cabrera-Delgado-Ramirez...lefty-righty-lefty-righty, all with at least 30 HR potential, in your order. Plus you don't have to worry about a contract extension. And you're talking about a guy who lives 15 minutes from Dolphins Stadium (I have a friend who lives down the street from him) whom is Miguel Cabrera's idol that will attract many more fans. If you can do that without giving up your whole farm system, you jump headlong into it. There's my rant. I'm done.

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=transandnotes&name=353
"April 9Manny Ramirez said last night that he plans to retire at age 36 after playing three more seasons, according to the Boston Globe."

MikeO
10-31-2005, 09:08 PM
yeah like players don't change their mind on retiring.:shakeno:

The Manny/contract extension came from WFAN (flagship station of the Mets) when talking to the Mets beat reporters. One of the hold-ups in trading Manny to the Mets back in July was his contract and possibly wanting more years. His NEW agents is saying he wants a 1 year extension.

And GET OFF THE MARLINS and MANNY thing. IT IS A PIPE DREAM! The Marlins can hardly afford to pay Delgado they aren't going to pay Manny his money too. Please, and why in the hell would Boston want a broken down Lowell and Pierre and eat HALF, HALF you say of Manny's deal? LOL, Boston isn't stupid. Just trade Manny to the Mets or LAA and pay NONE of his deal.

Go back to baseball for dummies 101.

RWhitney014
10-31-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah like players don't change their mind on retiring.:shakeno:

The Manny/contract extension came from WFAN (flagship station of the Mets) when talking to the Mets beat reporters. One of the hold-ups in trading Manny to the Mets back in July was his contract and possibly wanting more years. His NEW agents is saying he wants a 1 year extension.

And GET OFF THE MARLINS and MANNY thing. IT IS A PIPE DREAM! The Marlins can hardly afford to pay Delgado they aren't going to pay Manny his money too. Please, and why in the hell would Boston want a broken down Lowell and Pierre and eat HALF, HALF you say of Manny's deal? LOL, Boston isn't stupid. Just trade Manny to the Mets or LAA and pay NONE of his deal.

Go back to baseball for dummies 101.

And everything said on the radio is true. But yeah, when I predicted that Carlos Delgado would sign here last October (I can show you the link of the question I sent to the Miami Herald's Kevin Baxter in a forum if you'd like to see it), every person I talked to in person or on the Internet said that it was a pipe dream. And I said I was talking in hypotheticals. But you seemed to ignore the whole meddling thing.

Last but not least, is the condescending smiley really necessary?

Ray Finkle
11-01-2005, 12:44 AM

I hope you're aware that in numerous articles when asked if Manny would exercise his options he said no when his contract is done its done. It's been reported in numerous articles. He just doesn't want to play baseball until he's 40 years old.

Here are some articles that will prove you (gasp) wrong:

http://www.whiotv.com/mlb/4383699/detail.html

"MANNY RAMIREZ: He's gotten off to a terrible start and it appears that he's just not having fun this year like he was in 2004. A .200 average with just one home run isn't going to make any player or fantasy owner happy. Manny's comments that he's done after his contract is up in Boston makes me think that there's something else going on with him. It's possible that after getting his World Series ring that Manny has lost some of his drive."

AND HERE'S THE KICKER:

http://www.mlb4u.com/0809FA.html

"Free Agents in 2008-09
LF:
Pat Burrell
Larry Bigbie
Garret Anderson

Manny Ramirez (Team Option)(expected to Retire)"

Manny has no say or choice in whether he's back or not. He also has a TEAM OPTION for 2009-2010. Therefore it's looking like Manny will retire after that because I doubt a team would pick up an option for that much money when he's 37 years old.

But I'm sure you knew all of this too. :shakeno: :rolleyes:

MikeO
11-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Of course Manny has a say or a choice. To say otherwise is nuts. You people believe because he has said he is going to retire, that it is gospel. That is just "player talk" to get more money! Were you people born yesterday!?!??!? Seriously. You make it sound like he can't change his mind. And if he is still productive at the end of this contract and if he wants to continue to play, he could be a bargin for 1-year at $20 mill or so.

Who knows, maybe a new team, some new life, could totally change his attitude and make him a happy camper. I just think he hates Boston so much he has said anything in the past and you can't take it as gospel. But you can if you want, and you will come off as an asssssss clown like you always do. Like the White Sox have no starting pitching and all of that stuff.

Ray Finkle
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Of course Manny has a say or a choice. To say otherwise is nuts. You people believe because he has said he is going to retire, that it is gospel. That is just "player talk" to get more money! Were you people born yesterday!?!??!? Seriously. You make it sound like he can't change his mind. And if he is still productive at the end of this contract and if he wants to continue to play, he could be a bargin for 1-year at $20 mill or so.

Who knows, maybe a new team, some new life, could totally change his attitude and make him a happy camper. I just think he hates Boston so much he has said anything in the past and you can't take it as gospel. But you can if you want, and you will come off as an asssssss clown like you always do. Like the White Sox have no starting pitching and all of that stuff.

Again I think you fail to recognize what a team option is. Manny has no say or choice on whether the team picks it up. The only thing Manny can do is go out and play like the Hall of Famer that he is and let his numbers and production do the talking.

Sure Manny as well as anyone else can change their minds on retiring but as of now you have to take what he says as true. It's not gossip because it came out of Manny's mouth. Not from some reporter. So we have to take it as fact for now. Not everyone pulls a Michael Jordan or Roger Clemens.

As for me coming off as an "asssssss clown"? That's funny especially since I NEVER said the White Sox had no starting pitching, what I said was is that I didn't fear them. I also remember saying that they had the best pitching in the AL and I remember you saying "Well at least you admit that". Futhermore I remember showing you some stats to back up why I didn't fear them but again when you're wrong you totally ignore them.

It's funny how you always come off as a know it all who's never wrong and you feel the need to belittle people such as me, others and most recently RWhitney, by saying he needs to learn Baseball 101 for Dumbies or something like that. Just by saying that show that you truly are clueless at times. RWhitney knows probably more about sports than 90% of the people posting including myself and also you.

It's just funny how when I'm wrong I admit it but when you're wrong you simply ignore things like they never happen. I could list the many things you said that were totally wrong and stupid too, it's not that hard. But the best example of it is this thread....

MikeO
11-01-2005, 08:15 PM
I know what a TEAM OPTION is. But to think TEAMS just exercise options on $20 mill players without TALKING TO THE PLAYER to see what they want in cases your nuts.

EXAMPLE::::::::Let's say Manny is traded to the Mets. In a few years his contract is up, the Mets go to him and say, we like ya, we like your numbers, you have a CLUB OPTION in your contract, we would like to pick it up how do you feel about that. If Manny likes his situation....maybe he will say yeah I will continue to play and bla bla bla. If, he doesn't like the situation he could say I hope you don't pick it up I would like to play elsewhere or whatnot. Sure, the club can do what they want. But its bad business to do so with a superstar player with a $20 mill contract.

THat is how REAL LIFE works with ADULTS! Something you will learn someday.

Ray Finkle
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
I know what a TEAM OPTION is. But to think TEAMS just exercise options on $20 mill players without TALKING TO THE PLAYER to see what they want in cases your nuts.

EXAMPLE::::::::Let's say Manny is traded to the Mets. In a few years his contract is up, the Mets go to him and say, we like ya, we like your numbers, you have a CLUB OPTION in your contract, we would like to pick it up how do you feel about that. If Manny likes his situation....maybe he will say yeah I will continue to play and bla bla bla. If, he doesn't like the situation he could say I hope you don't pick it up I would like to play elsewhere or whatnot. Sure, the club can do what they want. But its bad business to do so with a superstar player with a $20 mill contract.

THat is how REAL LIFE works with ADULTS! Something you will learn someday.

I'm sure once Manny's contract is up, whatever team he is on will talk to him about returning considering he's a Hall of Fame player and thus far as been very healthy for his career.

As for that real life and adults, I doubt you have any experience on that because I highly doubt an adult would go around message boards calling people pea-brains or asssssssssss clowns like you do.