PDA

View Full Version : 3 Decent Horror Flicks

Phin-o-rama
10-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I like horror movies for the most part but so many have a really high level of cheese that can make them ho-hum...

the following 3 are pretty good and i was actually surprised with all 3

1- Amityville Horror .....obviously this is a remake of the classic and based on a true story. it has the actor from van wilder who normally plays in comedies...but does a decent job here and this is a decent renter.

2- House of Wax......ok i rented this to see paris hilton but as it turns out her role is pretty limited..(good thing because she is a sucky actress)...anyways this was very good IMO...im pretty sure its a remake of some sorts but freaky and enjoyable nonetheless.

3- Land of the Dead.....ok dawn of the dead?, night of the living dead?, shawn of the dead? hehe how many zombie movies can they make??? this one is enjoyable because it is taking place in modern times and puts a new twist on the whole undead thing....basically focuses on a group of 'mercenaries' that go out and retrieve supplies from zombie ridden towns to help support the city that is setup for people that are alive can live. john leguizamo (sp?) is in it....i enjoyed this flick.

so halloween is tomorrow and if anyone is looking for a movie to put them in the mood any of those 3 will help....number 2 and 3 were my favorites and specifically i was really creeped out by house of wax.

happy halloween all!!!

Prime Time
10-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Saw 2 was good...I liked it...go watch it in theatres If you've seen the first one.

NaboCane
10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/630594298601_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

True psychological horror from the master of the Italian horror genre, Mario Bava.

ABrownLamp
10-30-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/630594298601_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

True psychological horror from the master of the Italian horror genre, Mario Bava.

OMFG...what was this movie made in 1940?

ABrownLamp
10-30-2005, 09:44 PM
I've always heard Jacob's Ladder was a good movie.
Never seen it though. Too 80's looking for me.

NaboCane
10-30-2005, 09:44 PM
OMFG...what was this movie made in 1940?

'64 actually. It's a classic.

Noodle Arm
10-30-2005, 10:00 PM
I've always heard Jacob's Ladder was a good movie.
Never seen it though. Too 80's looking for me.

Rent it...it's a hell of a great movie, a bit slow paced though. Also you can see the ending coming a mile away (it was original for it's time though). The subway scene towards the beginning is a showcase of excellent direction and creepiness. Oh btw it came out in '90...barely beating the "too 80's" mark :lol:

Roman529
10-30-2005, 10:01 PM
House of Wax was pretty decent. I went to go see The Fog last week...it was not as good as the original with Jamie Lee Curtis and Adrienne Barbeau but it was ok.

Boone
10-30-2005, 11:50 PM
I've got Psycho, The Birds, & Rear View Mirror (Turner Classic Movies) tivoed...oh yeah and Hellraiser (the first one).

Buddwalk
10-30-2005, 11:57 PM
The new amityville is actually well done...house of wax was garbage and land of the dead is too sorry ;)

Blitz
10-31-2005, 12:29 AM
The ultimate in camp(y) horror:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/10/B00001MXXP01_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

Anybody else in here grow up admiring this particular episode of trash? I say "trash" with great affection :lol:

The Shining is probably the greatest horror movie of all-time (Unless you count The Thing, but that's more sci-fi than horror IMO). I'm also a big fan of David Cronenberg's versions of The Dead Zone and The Fly.

BTW, I highly recommend checking out Jacob's Ladder.

d-day
10-31-2005, 12:39 AM
shining is #1 on my list - i luv the end scene in friday the 13th part 1 and 2 - hell night with linda blair is worth the rent if you can find it... glitter is probably the scariest movie of all time

NaboCane
10-31-2005, 12:40 AM
shining is #1 on my list - i luv the end scene in friday the 13th part 1 and 2 - hell night with linda blair is worth the rent if you can find it... glitter is probably the scariest movie of all time

:lol: Is she naked in it, at least?

Buddwalk
10-31-2005, 12:42 AM

Shining is also #1 on my list, I also love the end scenes for both those friday the 13th movies, never seen hell night but still cant find it :mad: Never even heard of glitter but i'd actually say that The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was the scariest of all time...In its time though

d-day
10-31-2005, 12:46 AM
:lol: Is she naked in it, at least?

guess you'll have to watch it to find out... :wink: :tongue: - don't watch it alone... :eek:

Phin-o-rama
10-31-2005, 01:35 PM
hrmm i enjoyed land of the dead...w/e

of course the classics like halloween, the first freddy and friday the 13th still hold the crown.....but for new movies in 2005 i thought they were decent.