PDA

View Full Version : Gibson says new film has ‘mythic proportions’

BAMAPHIN 22
10-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Mel Gibson says a fascination with ancient cultures and great civilizations is what led him to make his upcoming movie “Apocalypto,” starring unknown Mexican actors speaking in an ancient tongue.

“What I’m doing is making an action-adventure film of mythic proportions,” Gibson, sporting a plaid flannel shirt, jeans and a long salt-and pepper beard, told a news conference Friday.

The movie is scheduled to begin production Nov. 14 and will be shot almost entirely in the jungle of Mexico’s Veracruz state.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9855046/

Muck
10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Good to see Mel in the Halloween spirit. He's Saddam in a bunker. :lol:

finswin56
10-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Good to see Mel in the Halloween spirit. He's Saddam in a bunker. :lol::rofl3: That pic made me do a double take.

Wildbill3
10-31-2005, 12:50 AM
nice to know that his hair replacement plan is starting off with his beard.

Quelonio
10-31-2005, 03:43 AM
So i got a funny story about this movie. Turns out before I came to NYC i was a theatre student in Mexico City, in the biggest school in latinamerica. So all my friends are actors or theatre directors. (most of them actors)
Turns out that one of their friends (who looks very mexican) did the casting for this movie. He did all the callbacks and everything. Finally they called him, and gave him the job. Biggest freakin' thing in his life. He had a movie with Mel Gibson. THe kid drops out of his classes, because he has to devote time to the movie, starts learning maya (the native language of Yucatán) starts rehearsing and all that jazz. He is obviously counting on the really nice paycheck that a hollywood movie is going to give him (we are mexican, getting paid in dollars means we are millionares) and one day he is invited to a dinner with Mr. Gibson.

He walks into the meeting, has dinner, everything is cool and nice, and suddenly they inform him that THEY GOT THE NAME WRONG. They meant to call someone else to the movie, but they ended up getting him, and since all mexicans look the same :rolf3:

So the kid, who had just achieved a lot, suddenly lost everything. It is kinda sad, but I insist if someone made a movie about this it would be so damn funny. (my friends where pretty angry at me for thinking it was funny)

Quelonio
10-31-2005, 03:48 AM
By the way, this movie is going to suck, it is most probably going to be an awful misrepresentation of millenarian mexican traditions (think the american indians in Peter Pan) I mean, Mel Gibson is probably the least indicated person to take on this endevour (I would not give it to anyone actually, unless I made sure they had total backing of the indigenous comunity, which I am sure Gibson does not have). So basically you going to see a lot of people in feathers, doing human sacrifices, and adoring jaguar gods. (not saying that did not happen, but that is going to be a focus, instead of just being a part of the setting) I'm sure I'm going to hate it.