PDA

View Full Version : Why is Notre Dame ranked so high?

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 05:01 AM
If you take a look at the teams they beat, their run really isn't that impressive. They took advantage of the fact that Pitt, Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue were all viewed as good teams when they played them. Put if you look at the ranking today, three of those four teams are nowhere to be seen. The problem is that the human polls wont drop Notre Dame because of this. Plus their two losses came at home. Now look at the three teams ranked directly bellow them, Florida State, Penn State, and Georgia. All three of those teams have one loss, all of which happened on the road. Penn State and Georgia lost to ranked teams. Penn State lost on the final play of the game. Georgia lost without their starting quarterback. Florida State beat a team that is currently ranked number 5. Penn State beat a team that is currently ranked number 12. Can any of you honestly say after seeing these stats that Notre Dame belongs above these three teams.

Brad528
10-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Yeah Penn State is ranked to high already too.

Buddwalk
10-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Cause if your 7-1 you deserve to be ranked that high. The teams they beat when they beat them were high, Penn State should actually be 8-0 right now but after losing Derek Williams i really dont care for them anymore.

Philter25
10-31-2005, 08:20 AM
If PSU beats Wisconsin this weekend, they should move up in the polls.

I agree, I dont think ND should be ranked that high. The one thing I give them though is that they SHOULD have beaten USC.

PSU with DW is a top 5 team. Brad is just from Michigan and is a hater. I wouldnt rank PSU above 8th. Without DW, they are not one of the top tier 1 loss teams.

I agree with ND though.

Brad528
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Penn State will not beat Wisconsin this week. It will not happen Wisconsin is alot better team then PSU. You will see this weekend when Calhoun runs all over them. He is a top 3 RB in the NCAA.

Philter25
10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Penn State will not beat Wisconsin this week. It will not happen Wisconsin is alot better team then PSU. You will see this weekend when Calhoun runs all over them. He is a top 3 RB in the NCAA.
Where would you rank Maroney? How did he do against PSU? :lol:

Phishstix
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
ND is severely overrated, but the mdeia loves 'em. should a team that lost to #1 and gave up almost half-hundred to an unranked team be ranked over a team that lost to #9 and #3? nope, but they are.

Motion
10-31-2005, 01:39 PM
ND is severely overrated, but the mdeia loves 'em. should a team that lost to #1 and gave up almost half-hundred to an unranked team be ranked over a team that lost to #9 and #3? nope, but they are.

I agree, Charlie Weis is being made out to be a hero when he has the same record as Urban Meyer at Florida and Meyer is looked at as struggling.

Philter25
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
I agree, Charlie Weis is being made out to be a hero when he has the same record as Urban Meyer at Florida and Meyer is looked at as struggling.

Charlie Weis has the same record as a TON of other schools in the NCAA, not just Florida.

The media just loves ND this year.

ether79
10-31-2005, 01:48 PM

Because Meyer had a more talented team than Weis had going into the year. Obviously Weis has got more out of his lesser talent to date so far.

kastofsna120
10-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Because Meyer had a more talented team than Weis had going into the year. Obviously Weis has got more out of his lesser talent to date so far.
bingo

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 02:17 PM

Meyer also lost to two of the best teams in the country in LSU and Alabama. They also beat one of the best in Georgia. I find that more impressive then losing to an unranked team at home and "hanging with" the number one team in the country and not beating any team in the top 20.

Motion
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Charlie Weis has the same record as a TON of other schools in the NCAA, not just Florida.

The media just loves ND this year.

I'm well aware of that. I was just giving an example of two new coaches at big schools.

ether79
10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Meyer also lost to two of the best teams in the country in LSU and Alabama. They also beat one of the best in Georgia. I find that more impressive then losing to an unranked team at home and "hanging with" the number one team in the country and not beating any team in the top 20.

At the time MSU was in the top 15 or so, they were undefeated, and it was a double overtime game with a horrible call that cost them the game IMO. No one and Im mean no one has came that close to beating USC at home, away, or a neutral site..so take homerism out of the equation and you'll see what most others see. I am a Purdue fan by the way so I have no stake in this. PSU and ND ripped us apart.

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 05:09 PM
At the time MSU was in the top 15 or so, they were undefeated, and it was a double overtime game with a horrible call that cost them the game IMO. No one and Im mean no one has came that close to beating USC at home, away, or a neutral site..so take homerism out of the equation and you'll see what most others see. I am a Purdue fan by the way so I have no stake in this. PSU and ND ripped us apart.

You are right, MSU was highly ranked when they played Notre Dame. So was Michigan, Pitt, and Purdue. The problem is that all of those teams have fallen in the weeks since they played Notre Dame. Their early season victories at Pitt and Michigan looked like huge upsets weeks ago, now look like games that Notre Dame should have won. And I don't see how losing a game at home, even if it is against the best team in the country, can be considered a positive reason they should be ranked so high. Even if you just ignore ND's game against USC, Penn State and Georgia's losses came against better teams then MSU. Penn State's happend on the last play of the game on the road. Georgia's happened in a tight road game without their starting quaterback.

kastofsna120
10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
well the georga/florida game is on a neutral field

ether79
10-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Penn State's happend on the last play of the game on the road.

So did NDs losses except they were at home..anyway in the poll that really matters PSU is ranked 7th and you can't argue there so anything the media thinks in almost moot point. I have no problem with ND ranking or PSU or Florida or anyone in the top 15 for that matter. I don't however see a bias for ND anywhere, and I personally dislike ND, but that offense is second to only 1 in the nation and fun to watch.

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
well the georga/florida game is on a neutral field

Yeah I guess it was, according to both teams schedule, which was what I was going by, the game was at Flordia even though it was played in Jacksonville. The question becomes where there more Georgia fans or Florida fans.

ether79
10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah I guess it was, according to both teams schedule, which was what I was going by, the game was at Flordia even though it was played in Jacksonville. The question becomes where there more Georgia fans or Florida fans.

It is usually about 50/50 from what I've seen.

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
So did NDs lossES except they were at home..anyway in the poll that really matters PSU is ranked 7th and you can't argue there so anything the media thinks in almost moot point. I have no problem with ND ranking or PSU or Florida or anyone in the top 15 for that matter. I don't however see a bias for ND anywhere, and I personally dislike ND, but that offense is second to only 1 in the nation and fun to watch.

First off, they lost twice in that way, Penn State only once. Secondly, the polls besides the BCS are not moot, because they go in to calculating the BCS rankings. Im not saying that Penn State needs to be ranked higher, I am just saying two loss teams like Notre Dame shouldn't be ranked above teams with one tough loss like PSU, FSU, and UG. Notre Dame could even be arguably behind teams like Ohio State and Florida who's losses came against two top ten teams.

ether79
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
First off, they lost twice in that way, Penn State only once. Secondly, the polls besides the BCS are not moot, because they go in to calculating the BCS rankings. Im not saying that Penn State needs to be ranked higher, I am just saying two loss teams like Notre Dame shouldn't be ranked above teams with one tough loss like PSU, FSU, and UG. Notre Dame could even be arguably behind teams like Ohio State and Florida who's losses came against two top ten teams.

I know they lost twice and the polls are only 1/3 so if PSU, FSU and other teams deserve to be higher in the BCS those other things will usually overcome the human polls, with some exceptions. IMO they human rankings are fine, IYO they aren't. I guess there is really no way to get around our disagreement on this. THey won on the road where Penn St. could not and you guys will play the 1st team that beat ND. If you guys win out and ND wins out I would guess that in the end PSU will be ranked over ND in EVERY poll.

PSUFinFan
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
I know they lost twice and the polls are only 1/3 so if PSU, FSU and other teams deserve to be higher in the BCS those other things will usually overcome the human polls, with some exceptions. IMO they human rankings are fine, IYO they aren't. I guess there is really no way to get around our disagreement on this. THey won on the road where Penn St. could not and you guys will play the 1st team that beat ND. If you guys win out and ND wins out I would guess that in the end PSU will be ranked over ND in EVERY poll.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

One small note though, the BCS formula is 1/3 USA Today poll, 1/3 Harris Poll, and 1/3 the combination of 6 computer polls. So human polls make up 2/3 which have for the most part favored ND over the other three teams I mentioned.

ether79
10-31-2005, 06:19 PM
I guess we will agree to disagree.

One small note though, the BCS formula is 1/3 USA Today poll, 1/3 Harris Poll, and 1/3 the combination of 6 computer polls. So human polls make up 2/3 which have for the most part favored ND over the other three teams I mentioned.

Right, my bad on the misstatement, but like I said if you win out PSU will finish higher than ND in ALL the rankings.

Slappy8800
10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
now im a ND fan by default because my cousin plays there but the fnniest thing i read over the weekend was

"Weis got a 10 year extension after starting the season 5-2. Willingham got a pat on the back after starting 8-0." I LMAO

ether79
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
now im a ND fan by default because my cousin plays there but the fnniest thing i read over the weekend was

"Weis got a 10 year extension after starting the season 5-2. Willingham got a pat on the back after starting 8-0." I LMAO

Which guy is your cousin?? If you don't mind me asking.

DonShula84
10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Every team ND has played was ranked at some point during the season except BYU. Were some of those teams overrated, yes, but on paper just look at the rankings when they played some of them and it is impressive. Add to that they beat all those teams on the road and it is even more impressive. Throw into that the way they played against USC, and the fact that ND being in the top 10 and in a BCS game is really good for college football and you see why they are ranked where they are. Is it a bit high, probably, do I care? Not at all :) But ND in the Fiesta Bowl or any BCS game makes more money than a lot of the teams that have been mentioned who you say should be ranked ahead of ND.

Bellson
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
urban meyer is nothing but an urban myth. He cant cut in it the SEC and has lucked out so bad still being in the race for #1 due to Shockley going down. As for Chris Leak, he's a good athlete but definitely way overrated. I remember at the beginning of the year hearing all this heisman talk around him and what was I doing?? :lol: And what am I still doing?? :lol: The Gators always get so much hype especially now with Urban Myth coaching em. I hope to see them lose again Thanksgiving weekend against the Noles.

kastofsna120
11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
urban meyer is nothing but an urban myth. He cant cut in it the SEC and has lucked out so bad still being in the race for #1 due to Shockley going down. As for Chris Leak, he's a good athlete but definitely way overrated. I remember at the beginning of the year hearing all this heisman talk around him and what was I doing?? :lol: And what am I still doing?? :lol: The Gators always get so much hype especially now with Urban Myth coaching em. I hope to see them lose again Thanksgiving weekend against the Noles.
the georgia game proved just how good of a coach urban meyer is. he knew arkansas ran all up and down on georgia the week before, so instead of playing the option, he switched to pounding the ball down their throats. guess what? it worked

axemanv90
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
While there is a bias in favor of ND, there is also a definite bias against PennState and the BigTen in general.

All season long, if you doubled PSU's BCS computer ranking, that's roughly where their 2 human poll rankings were. Now PSU is rated 3rd by computer, but the human polls have them rated 5th. With a 2-1 top 10 record and 5-1 top 30 record, PSU's schedule strength and record versus rated teams is far superior to Miami and LSU, yet the biased human polls have these two teams rated higher. Look at the BCS computer numbers...Miami is 5th and LSU is all the way back at 8th.

kastofsna120
11-18-2005, 02:16 PM
While there is a bias in favor of ND, there is also a definite bias against PennState and the BigTen in general.

All season long, if you doubled PSU's BCS computer ranking, that's roughly where their 2 human poll rankings were. Now PSU is rated 3rd by computer, but the human polls have them rated 5th. With a 2-1 top 10 record and 5-1 top 30 record, PSU's schedule strength and record versus rated teams is far superior to Miami and LSU, yet the biased human polls have these two teams rated higher. Look at the BCS computer numbers...Miami is 5th and LSU is all the way back at 8th.
i think that's because miami and LSU are better than penn state

Philter25
11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
i think that's because miami and LSU are better than penn state We might find that out in January. ;)

kastofsna120
11-18-2005, 04:11 PM
We might find that out in January. ;)
you mean when USF beats penn state in a rematch? :goof:

if USF's receivers didn't drop 9 passes, that game would've been different

Philter25
11-19-2005, 12:29 PM
You know as well as I do that teams are much different from the first game of the season.

Penn State is a MUCH better team than they were at the beginning of the season. Same with Notre Dame, same with Miami, same with LSU, same with Ohio State.

kastofsna120
11-19-2005, 02:38 PM
same with USF ;)

Slappy8800
11-19-2005, 04:20 PM
you can only play the teams on ur schedule..why is Texas so high

DonShula84
11-19-2005, 08:32 PM
you can only play the teams on ur schedule..why is Texas so high

Any idea if your cousin will petition to be a 5th year senior :D We could use him at ND next year. Also if you could tell him to get Quinns autograph on a helmet for me that'd be great :tongue:

Philter25
11-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Im sure Penn State will glady play USF in a bowl game.

Philter25
11-20-2005, 12:12 AM
i think that's because miami and LSU are better than penn state :lol:

Penn State should be in the Orange Bowl. Wheres Miami gonna play? :lol: