PDA

View Full Version : Florida International University

dolfanattic5
10-31-2005, 01:40 PM
I just got accepted to this college and I am waiting for an FSU letter. I was just wondering if this is a good school. If anyone that attended there or just knows about it can you tell me more about this school. Is it close to the fins stadium? How bout South BEach? Is it a nice campus? Any info would help. Thanks again

It'll Happen11
10-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Its has become a good school with a nice campus...but I would definetly try to get into FSU

dolfanattic5
10-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Thankyou very much

NaboCane
10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
FIU is more of an in-city school, so the campus isn't as traditional or nice as FSU. Having said that, it probably is a better school in many respects as FSU, especially in the schools of business, pre-law and art. My brother graduated from there and he enjoyed the school and its programs.

But if you're looking for the more traditional college experience, FSU or UM would be better choices. Depends entirely on what you want.

It'll Happen11
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
FIU is more of an in-city school, so the campus isn't as traditional or nice as FSU. Having said that, it probably is a better school in many respects as FSU, especially in the schools of business, pre-law and art. My brother graduated from there and he enjoyed the school and its programs.

But if you're looking for the more traditional college experience, FSU or UM would be better choices. Depends entirely on what you want.

couldn't of said it better...as a local, going to FIU is just like going to another high school, its definetly very in-city.

cnc66
10-31-2005, 08:40 PM
I remember when it was Tamiami airport...

dolfanattic5
10-31-2005, 10:57 PM
thank you nabocane that was very good insight

ABrownLamp
10-31-2005, 11:01 PM
I just got accepted to this college and I am waiting for an FSU letter. I was just wondering if this is a good school. If anyone that attended there or just knows about it can you tell me more about this school. Is it close to the fins stadium? How bout South BEach? Is it a nice campus? Any info would help. Thanks again

It was a good school back in the 90's.
New management has made it significantly worse.
My father is the Biology for majors professor there.
If you're thinking about Bio for a major, you'll have him.

ABrownLamp
10-31-2005, 11:04 PM

Dude, not even close in any of those regards.
FSU has no pre law major so thats not a fair comparison, but FSU Law school is in the top 60 nationally.
FIU isn't even in the third tier for law school (ie, not even ranked)
FIU's business school isn't even on the national radar, so I am doubting that they have the type of program that is up to par with FSUs.

Don't know about the arts.

Miamian
11-01-2005, 05:18 AM
FSU has no pre law major so thats not a fair comparison, but FSU Law school is in the top 60 nationally.
FIU's business school isn't even on the national radar, so I am doubting that they have the type of program that is up to par with FSUs.

As a Miamian and FSU alumnus who did his required summer session at FIU, I offer these thoughts.

It's been awhile since I've graduated, but when I was there, FSU was a better school in general. For example, at FIU, Anthropology and Sociology were one department, whereas at FSU they were separate. Cultural Anthropology is similar to Sociology, but Physical is a world apart. FSU has more of a traditional college atmosphere, whereas FIU was more commuter-oriented. I don't know about the fine arts, but theater and music at FSU is reputedly among the best in the country.

FIU is nowhere near South Beach. There are two campuses, Tamiami, out in West Dade (the main campus) and Bay Vista in north Dade. Either one is about a half-hour by car to South Beach and neither one is near the stadium either. But, Miami-Dade Transit operates shuttles on game day.

You should also factor the location into your decision. FSU is located in Tallahassee, north Florida. EVERYTHING about north Florida is different from south Florida. North Florida is the South. Winter is much colder. I remember one time walking outside the dorm and noting the icicles dangling from people's windows, fall is chilly and blustery with some leaf change, summer is hotter, that's no misprint than south Florida. The saving grace is spring which has mildly cold mornings, but comfortably warm afternoons. Spring is when the campus blossoms with dogwood and azaelia. It's beautiful. The terrain is hilly, the soil more red clay with mostly slash pine vegetation and colder climate palms, like Sagos and Sabals. Architecture typically features more red brick, like the rest of the South.
People are also completely different. You hardly hear other languages, except on campus. Most people are generally non-latin, white or black. A southern drawl is pretty common and there are a lot of pickups on the road. Tallahassee is not a cultural mecca. It can be hard to find a lot of culture outside the school, but there are plenty of student-oriented bars.

If you've never been to south Florida, allow me to contrast. Winter in Miami lasts a couple of weeks, with only a few really cold days, summer lasts from April to November, with fall and summer a bit cooler than summer. The soil is sandy with more coconut and royal palms. There are a lot of pines, but that's more because of the sandy soil than the cold. Architecture is much more modern with glass, steel, and more usage of color. Hearing other languages in Miami, is the norm. Spanish is prevalent throughout the city and you'll also hear quite a bit of Portuguese. In South Beach you'll also hear much French, German, and Italian. In certain sections, you'll also hear Haitian Creole. Before I left, I started hearing Hebrew (there was an unwitting exchange I guess).

I hope this helps.

dolfanattic5
11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I couldn't have asked for a better review thankyou very much miamian i just got accepted to fsu too.

ABrownLamp
11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
As a Miamian and FSU alumnus who did his required summer session at FIU, I offer these thoughts.

It's been awhile since I've graduated, but when I was there, FSU was a better school in general. For example, at FIU, Anthropology and Sociology were one department, whereas at FSU they were separate. Cultural Anthropology is similar to Sociology, but Physical is a world apart. FSU has more of a traditional college atmosphere, whereas FIU was more commuter-oriented. I don't know about the fine arts, but theater and music at FSU is reputedly among the best in the country.

FIU is nowhere near South Beach. There are two campuses, Tamiami, out in West Dade (the main campus) and Bay Vista in north Dade. Either one is about a half-hour by car to South Beach and neither one is near the stadium either. But, Miami-Dade Transit operates shuttles on game day.

You should also factor the location into your decision. FSU is located in Tallahassee, north Florida. EVERYTHING about north Florida is different from south Florida. North Florida is the South. Winter is much colder. I remember one time walking outside the dorm and noting the icicles dangling from people's windows, fall is chilly and blustery with some leaf change, summer is hotter, that's no misprint than south Florida. The saving grace is spring which has mildly cold mornings, but comfortably warm afternoons. Spring is when the campus blossoms with dogwood and azaelia. It's beautiful. The terrain is hilly, the soil more red clay with mostly slash pine vegetation and colder climate palms, like Sagos and Sabals. Architecture typically features more red brick, like the rest of the South.
People are also completely different. You hardly hear other languages, except on campus. Most people are generally non-latin, white or black. A southern drawl is pretty common and there are a lot of pickups on the road. Tallahassee is not a cultural mecca. It can be hard to find a lot of culture outside the school, but there are plenty of student-oriented bars.

If you've never been to south Florida, allow me to contrast. Winter in Miami lasts a couple of weeks, with only a few really cold days, summer lasts from April to November, with fall and summer a bit cooler than summer. The soil is sandy with more coconut and royal palms. There are a lot of pines, but that's more because of the sandy soil than the cold. Architecture is much more modern with glass, steel, and more usage of color. Hearing other languages in Miami, is the norm. Spanish is prevalent throughout the city and you'll also hear quite a bit of Portuguese. In South Beach you'll also hear much French, German, and Italian. In certain sections, you'll also hear Haitian Creole. Before I left, I started hearing Hebrew (there was an unwitting exchange I guess).

I hope this helps.

I agree 100%
I graduated from FSU and did the summer session at FIU as well.
The schools are miles apart.

FSU is much better if one were looking for the true college life, while FIU is a place for people who love Miami, or do not want to leave, because outside of classes, there isn't much of a collegiate social scene.
They are both good schools, so getting good grades at one isn't better than getting good grades at the other.

I would say if you love Miami, have lots of friends that live there and enjoy the cultural meltingpot, FIU is perfect.
If you want a true college experience that will force you to meet new people, try new things and don't mind a bit of "the south" FSU is perfect.

NaboCane
11-01-2005, 08:02 PM

FIU is THE pre-eminent program in the nation for international and comparative law; FIU's business school is second only to the UM in the study of international business in the US. So just because something isn't on YOUR radar doesn't mean it's not on anyone's.

The information I gave the member who asked was geared to someone who, I assume, has decided on a course of study; therefore, he would know best which school fits his needs. If he's going to practice law or go into the world of business in middle America, then certainly FSU might be the better choice. But with the globalization of all economies, I would think that anyone entering business or law school would have an eye toward that end and make the best corresponding choice.

As Miamian said in his post, (with which you seemed to agree) FSU might not be the best place to pick up cultural perspective.