PDA

View Full Version : Miami is #3 in the AP

SMadison29
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Man, I didn't see that one coming. They're only 13 points behind in the USA Today poll.

I don't see how Penn State passed Notre Dame .

Caps
11-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow, I thought we'd be 4th at best. We made a stronger statement than I thought.

CirclingWagons
11-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Nice!

Philter25
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM

Man, I didn't see that one coming. They're only 13 points behind in the USA Today poll.

Nice jump Miami. I didnt get to see the whole game but it looked like an impressive win.

PSU kicked the crap outta Wisconsin. ND beat a struggling/bad Tennessee team. PSU should be there, they are 1 second away from being undefeated and probably #2/#3 in the BCS because of their SOS.

PSU will end up 5 in the polls after LSU/Bama takes a loss and maybe even 4 if they both lose. Bama needs to beat LSU then lose to Auburn.

Buddwalk
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
It doesnt really matter anymore...national title game is gonna be Texas and USC... Usc wins 38-17

SMadison29
11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
they are 1 second away from being undefeated and probably #2/#3 in the BCS because of their SOS.

So was Notre Dame, in both games.

SMadison29
11-06-2005, 05:32 PM
PSU will end up 5 in the polls after LSU/Bama takes a loss and maybe even 4 if they both lose. Bama needs to beat LSU then lose to Auburn.

Bama will undoubtedly lose once & I'm guessing twice. LSU, Auburn, & Georgia await them.

Philter25
11-06-2005, 05:37 PM
So was Notre Dame, in both games.
Keyword bolded. And therefore absolutely agree. If ND was a 1-loss team, I would think they would be #3/4 in the polls. IF their only loss was to USC on a last second play, then it would be a different story. However thats not the case.

Nappy Roots
11-06-2005, 05:42 PM

it wont matter much if Alabama wins out they would jump back ahead of the U. but i dont think Alabama will be able to.

kastofsna120
11-06-2005, 06:38 PM
when you dominate the #3 team in teh country when EVERYONE is watching, you're bound to turn a few heads

dominizzo
11-07-2005, 03:54 AM
when you dominate the #3 team in teh country when EVERYONE is watching, you're bound to turn a few heads

how are you doing HAss

PSUFinFan
11-07-2005, 04:29 AM

Notre Dame not only has two losses, but their strength of schedule is much easier than Penn State. Who exactly has ND beaten besides Michigan. And personally I think VaTech and Georgia should be ahead of them. I mean even Ohio State should be above Notre Dame. OSU's two losses have come to the number 2 and 6 teams in the country, while ND's have come against the 1 and an unranked team, both at home.

Blackshade
11-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Notre Dame not only has two losses, but their strength of schedule is much easier than Penn State. Who exactly has ND beaten besides Michigan. And personally I think VaTech and Georgia should be ahead of them. I mean even Ohio State should be above Notre Dame. OSU's two losses have come to the number 2 and 6 teams in the country, while ND's have come against the 1 and an unranked team, both at home.

MSU was a top 20 ranked team when they beat ND, so it is a matter of timing when you say ND lost to an unranked team. That said you got to know that if ND is doing well they will get the benefit of doubt more readily than any other team, but they will also be blasted for doing bad more so than any other team. UGA and Va Tech should be ahead of them, and would be if it was any other team.

Penn State is a good team with a very good defense but they are only beating up on a lot of average Big 11 teams so I don't see where they should be lauded for SOS because I think all the Big 11 teams will be exposed in the bowls. BTW you ding ND for only beating Michigan but that same Michigan team beat PSU, and other than Ohio St. PSU hasn't really beaten anyone of note either, unless you count a defense deficient Northwestern squad. Joe Pa guys should be ranked higher than ND but not by much.

Miami dominated Va Tech but they should not be ahead of Alabama, no matter how Bama has looked on offense the last few weeks. Miami lost to a flawed FSU team so they shouldn't be ahead of Bama but if Bama takes care of business the rest of the season then that situation will work itself out.

Motion
11-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Bama will undoubtedly lose once & I'm guessing twice. LSU, Auburn, & Georgia/Florida await them.

*Fixed :tongue:

CirclingWagons
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
If Texas or Usc doesn't lose than I hope Miami gets to beat up on either the Gators or Irish...humiliate yet another overrated team on national television

BAMAPHIN 22
11-07-2005, 01:27 PM

I agree.. It is to bad that the Canes lost to Florida State, they would have been competing for the that number two position in the BCS. :(

PSUFinFan
11-07-2005, 01:33 PM
MSU was a top 20 ranked team when they beat ND, so it is a matter of timing when you say ND lost to an unranked team. That said you got to know that if ND is doing well they will get the benefit of doubt more readily than any other team, but they will also be blasted for doing bad more so than any other team. UGA and Va Tech should be ahead of them, and would be if it was any other team.

Penn State is a good team with a very good defense but they are only beating up on a lot of average Big 11 teams so I don't see where they should be lauded for SOS because I think all the Big 11 teams will be exposed in the bowls. BTW you ding ND for only beating Michigan but that same Michigan team beat PSU, and other than Ohio St. PSU hasn't really beaten anyone of note either, unless you count a defense deficient Northwestern squad. Joe Pa guys should be ranked higher than ND but not by much.

Miami dominated Va Tech but they should not be ahead of Alabama, no matter how Bama has looked on offense the last few weeks. Miami lost to a flawed FSU team so they shouldn't be ahead of Bama but if Bama takes care of business the rest of the season then that situation will work itself out.

I agree with you on the point of Alabama should be third.

But about Notre Dame, it doesn't matter what the team was ranked when they played ND, but what they are now. ND got lucky and played a lot of teams early in the season that were supposed to be good but weren't, like Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State. That shot them up the human rankings and people refuse to drop them down. On the other hand, Penn State has played a lot of teams who still are percieved as good. They have beaten ranked teams in, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and two teams just outside the top twenty five in Minnesota and South Florida.
Notre Dame has only played two teams with who are more than one game above .500 and has lost one of them at home. Penn State has played five teams more than one game above five hundred and has lost one of them on the road.

Buddwalk
11-07-2005, 01:46 PM

But about Notre Dame, it doesn't matter what the team was ranked when they played ND, but what they are now. ND got lucky and played a lot of teams early in the season that were supposed to be good but weren't, like Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State. That shot them up the human rankings and people refuse to drop them down. On the other hand, Penn State has played a lot of teams who still are percieved as good. They have beaten ranked teams in, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and two teams just outside the top twenty five in Minnesota and South Florida.
Notre Dame has only played two teams with who are more than one game above .500 and has lost one of them at home. Penn State has played five teams more than one game above five hundred and has lost one of them on the road.

Penn state should be 9-0 right now but screwed them selves in that michigan game. Notre Dame might be 7-2 but there as good as anyone in the nation my friend, just ask USC.

kastofsna120
11-07-2005, 02:42 PM
winning close games is as important as winning blowouts. the 4 losses between miami, notre dame and penn state were all very close games. but USC and texas has also had close games against tough teams, but they WON those games. that's the difference between the top 2 and everyone else

Blackshade
11-07-2005, 03:01 PM

We will have to agree to disagree but I do find it curious that you don't give ND any credit for beating the team that beat your team in Michigan. BTW if ND isn't a really good team than you do realize that in the entire conference there isn't one good out of conference win for all the Big 11 teams. I know this is true of other good conferences as well but I really wouldn't be trotting out a 4-3 South Florida as the flagship out of conference victory for the conference. If I was you I would be saying how great ND is and then noting that the Big 11 is so tough that one of the lower ranked teams there actually beat ND in MSU.

It might be a better conference than I am giving it credit for but there seems to be a lot of feasting on one another which has led to alot of 6-3 records for the good Big 11 teams. Ohio St, Penn St., and perhaps Michigan are 3 good teams in the conference but some of the others are just not that impressive to me.

PSUFinFan
11-07-2005, 03:16 PM
We will have to agree to disagree but I do find it curious that you don't give ND any credit for beating the team that beat your team in Michigan. BTW if ND isn't a really good team than you do realize that in the entire conference there isn't one good out of conference win for all the Big 11 teams. I know this is true of other good conferences as well but I really wouldn't be trotting out a 4-3 South Florida as the flagship out of conference victory for the conference. If I was you I would be saying how great ND is and then noting that the Big 11 is so tough that one of the lower ranked teams there actually beat ND in MSU.

It might be a better conference than I am giving it credit for but there seems to be a lot of feasting on one another which has led to alot of 6-3 records for the good Big 11 teams. Ohio St, Penn St., and perhaps Michigan are 3 good teams in the conference but some of the others are just not that impressive to me.

True Notre Dame beat the team that beat Penn State, but in two weeks Penn State has the chance to return the favor. As far as the big ten goes, it is getting pretty rare that teams in BCS conference go and play a ranked team out of conference. The only teams to do that in the big ten this year were Michigan State and Ohio State and we both know how those games turned out. If you look at the teams ahead of both PSU and ND, most of them haven't had a tough nonconference game with the exception of Texas and USC. (and thats only if you count ND which is practically a conference game since they play every year) And truthfully we might get our answer which team is better if both teams win out and make a BCS bowl, ND vs. PSU is the Fiesta/Sugar bowl I am hoping for.

ether79
11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
And truthfully we might get our answer which team is better if both teams win out and make a BCS bowl, ND vs. PSU is the Fiesta/Sugar bowl I am hoping for.

That would make a very entertaining matchup and we could as you state answer the questions/disagreements we've had.

Cuban Dave 9
11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Bama will undoubtedly lose once & I'm guessing twice. LSU, Auburn, & Georgia await them.
Georgia??? Don't you mean Florida after Auburn whoops the Dawgs?