Ray Finkle
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Rookie of the Year was announced today:

AL Winner: Huston Street
Runners Up: Robinson Cano and Johnny Gomez

NL Winner: Ryan Howard
Runners Up: Willy Taveras and Jeff Francoeur

Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2216645

Other awards being announced as follows: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/awards/y2005/index.jsp

AL Cy Young- November 8th
AL & NL Manager of the Year- November 9th
NL Cy Young- November 10th
AL MVP- November 14th
NL MVP- November 15th

unifiedtheory
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
CONGRATS HUSTON!!!!!!!

Cool Calm Mike
11-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Cano should've got it.

unifiedtheory
11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Cano should've got it.
I could not disagree with that more....

Huston Street was the closer (perhaps the most pressure filled position in baseball) for a team that was in contention until the final weekend of the season.

He is only 21 years old (very young for a closer) and he never threw a pitch in the minors.

The guy was 5-1 with a 1.72 ERA and 23/27 in save chances. He would have had more saves but he was'nt the closer until mid-May when Dotel's arm blew up.

Cano had a great year, he just got caught behind a pitcher who had a special year in my opinion.

Ray Finkle
11-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey back in August (http://www.finheaven.com/cms/176.html) I predicted Street to win it and Cano to come in 2nd. I guess I was right.

Anyway the writers did a good job with the picks. Those 2 guys really helped their teams this year. Without Street, Oakland would have been a disaster. He was easily the 2nd or 3rd best closer in the AL behind obviously Mo and you can argue Bob Wickman. Street was at times unhittable. Ryan Howard carried the Phillies with his offense the last few weeks of the season. If the Phillies had him up the whole year who knows they could have ended up in the playoffs.

I'm shocked that Wang didn't get a single vote. Maybe it was because he was hurt about half of the year. He still deserved a couple of them though.

FaninPatsyLand
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Cano sucks. I've never seen such an average player hyped up as much as Robinson Cano. He really doesn't do anything particularly well, and defensively, he's a liability.

I guess this is the way of products from the Yankees farm system these days... all hype.

Good choice giving it to Street, that kid is a stud. And personally I feel it would have been more acceptable to give it to Gustavo Chacin (granted he tailed off considerably post allstar break, Matt Clement anyone?? :lol: ) over Robinson Cano if Street didn't break into the league with such promise.

Prime Time
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't understand why MLB takes 5 years to reveal their winners of their awards...

MikeO
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Bartolo Colon won AL CY YOUNG

Ray Finkle
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Bartolo Colon won AL CY YOUNG

Here's the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2217678

I'm shocked he won by so many votes though.

Jt0323
11-08-2005, 04:31 PM
0-2 for the yanks,

MikeO
11-08-2005, 04:32 PM
0-2 for the yanks,

lol, having guys finish 2nd in voting for such high awards is a bad thing now. Unreal the way some of you people view things. You truly are a moron.

PHINATIC13
11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
BARTOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pretty sure he was going to win it,but why does MLB wait so long to hand out it's awards?:confused:

Ray Finkle
11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
why does MLB wait so long to hand out it's awards?:confused:

My only guess is that this is the slowest part of the year for baseball. I'm guessing that they announce these awards after the playoffs and before the winter meetings so it doesn't take anything away from the fact that the players won the awards. And each player has his share of the glory for that day, and nothing is really taking the focus off of it.

nyjunc
11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Mariano gets snubbed, what a joke that the 8th highest ERA gets the CY.

Ray Finkle
11-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Mariano gets snubbed, what a joke that the 8th highest ERA gets the CY.

From reports and articles I'm hearing/reading people feels that Johan Santana got screwed over. Santana lead the AL in Ks, ERA, WHIP, basically the only thing Colon had over Santana was wins (which is a very overrated stat).

nyjunc
11-09-2005, 07:50 AM
From reports and articles I'm hearing/reading people feels that Johan Santana got screwed over. Santana lead the AL in Ks, ERA, WHIP, basically the only thing Colon had over Santana was wins (which is a very overrated stat).

Wins can be a bit overrated but he had 7 losses which is alot for a SP to win a CY when he only has 16 wins. This was a year where there was no clear cut SP to get it and it should have gone to Mariano.

MikeO
11-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Wins can be a bit overrated but he had 7 losses which is alot for a SP to win a CY when he only has 16 wins. This was a year where there was no clear cut SP to get it and it should have gone to Mariano.
Just like with the DH. SOME voters won't give a relief pitcher the CY YOUNG, just as SOME voters won't give the MVP to the DH. Just a philosphy held by some.

nyjunc
11-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Just like with the DH. SOME voters won't give a relief pitcher the CY YOUNG, just as SOME voters won't give the MVP to the DH. Just a philosphy held by some.

A DH is half a player, they don't play D. yeah Closers don't pitch as many innings but they have an effect on alot more games that starters do. Mariano got robbed.

NJFINSFAN1
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
A DH is half a player, they don't play D. yeah Closers don't pitch as many innings but they have an effect on alot more games that starters do. Mariano got robbed.

I would say Ortiz had an effect in a lot more games then Mariano. You can't compare the two.

nyjunc
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I would say Ortiz had an effect in a lot more games then Mariano. You can't compare the two.

That's a different argument, comparing pitchers to hitters is unfair but comparing a DH to an everyday player the everyday player can affect the outcome in more ways than the DH. I think Ortiz definitely deserves the MVP so I don't have a problem w/ him winning but when you look at ARod's #s which are simialar to Ortiz and factor in the glove it should be ARod(even though I hope he doesn't win it b/c we know it's a sham based on postseason). As for mariano he affects more games than starting pitchers b/c he appears in so many more games.

RWhitney014
11-09-2005, 11:17 AM
For a closer to win the Cy Young, he has to have a landmark year, like when Eric Gagne saved 55 games in 55 tries and had an ERA of 1. A closer's ERA should be much lower than a starter's because of the lack of innings and (hopefully) runs. Mo had a very good year, but nothing no one else did. Colon was the only in the AL to win 20, and we saw how quickly his team folded without him.

nyjunc
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
For a closer to win the Cy Young, he has to have a landmark year, like when Eric Gagne saved 55 games in 55 tries and had an ERA of 1. A closer's ERA should be much lower than a starter's because of the lack of innings and (hopefully) runs. Mo had a very good year, but nothing no one else did. Colon was the only in the AL to win 20, and we saw how quickly his team folded without him.

yeah his team folded so quickly that they beat the Yankees w/o him in the 1st rd. Gagne's reg season was probably the best eevr for a closer but mariano had a great year and a better year as a closer than any of the starters up for the award and he deserved it.

Ray Finkle
11-09-2005, 12:26 PM

Yes Santana had 16 wins and 7 losses however he also had 8 no decisions where he gave up 3 runs or less and 2 no decisions which he gave up 4 runs. It's not his fault he didn't have a lot of run support like Colon did. Also in games Colon pitched the bullpen never blew a save. Santana still lead the AL in Ks and WHIP. He was 2nd in ERA, shutouts and innings pitched. And from the All Star Break on he was 9 and 2.

With that being said I would have had no problem if the award went to Rivera, however I personally think Santana got robbed.

nyjunc
11-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes Santana had 16 wins and 7 losses however he also had 8 no decisions where he gave up 3 runs or less and 2 no decisions which he gave up 4 runs. It's not his fault he didn't have a lot of run support like Colon did. Also in games Colon pitched the bullpen never blew a save. Santana still lead the AL in Ks and WHIP. He was 2nd in ERA, shutouts and innings pitched. And from the All Star Break on he was 9 and 2.

With that being said I would have had no problem if the award went to Rivera, however I personally think Santana got robbed.

That's life, how many W's did Clemens lose this year? or RJ 2 years ago? That is factored in, maybe it's unfair but that's the way it goes. I do agree Santana deserved it ahead of Colon but w/ no dominant SP Mariano deserved it this year.

Ray Finkle
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
That's life, how many W's did Clemens lose this year? or RJ 2 years ago? That is factored in, maybe it's unfair but that's the way it goes. I do agree Santana deserved it ahead of Colon but w/ no dominant SP Mariano deserved it this year.

I wonder if MLB hands out info sheets on the players up for awards. In my opinion perhaps the MLB themselves should limit the voting to the top 5 players and then hand out all information on them so the writers could do a better job. Or maybe like someone said on the board, maybe the players and coaches and people within baseball should vote instead of the writers because they make these awards into jokes sometimes.

MikeO
11-09-2005, 08:55 PM

Mariano gave up 1 run on the road this year..........sounds like a "LANDMARK" to me!

MikeO
11-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Some writer in Akron, Ohio voted....

1) Colon
2) Cliff Lee
3) Buherele

Santana wasn't in the Top 3 and Rivera wasn't even on his ballot. That is why I don't get worked up over these awards. You get 1 or 2 morons who put CLIFF LEE 2nd on their ballot screw up the whole thing for everyone and the "integrity" of the award is thrown out the window.

unifiedtheory
11-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Some writer in Akron, Ohio voted....

1) Colon
2) Cliff Lee
3) Buherele

Santana wasn't in the Top 3 and Rivera wasn't even on his ballot. That is why I don't get worked up over these awards. You get 1 or 2 morons who put CLIFF LEE 2nd on their ballot screw up the whole thing for everyone and the "integrity" of the award is thrown out the window.

Cliff Lee? Damn, he had a good year but to put him #2 on the Cy vote is a JOKE.

MikeO....if you could I'd love to have the link to those voter stats.

BTW....1 run on the road?

ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one of the best stats I've heard in years. Yes, I think Rivera got the shaft. I would have voted 1.) Rivera 2.) Santana 3.) Buehrle.

MikeO
11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Cliff Lee? Damn, he had a good year but to put him #2 on the Cy vote is a JOKE.

MikeO....if you could I'd love to have the link to those voter stats.

BTW....1 run on the road?

ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one of the best stats I've heard in years. Yes, I think Rivera got the shaft. I would have voted 1.) Rivera 2.) Santana 3.) Buehrle.

Damn right.......1 run on the road. Unbelieveable. I'm not saying Riveria got the shaft. Cause as I said, these awards I could really care less about. I don't get worked up over them. If someone wants to vote a starter over a closer, that's cool with me. BUT, to have CLIFF LEE 2nd and to keep Riveria OFF the ballot completly, that is just insane on every level.

Every sports radio station is talking about this guy from Ohio who had Cliff Lee 2nd in his voting. I have no link, just something I heard today. The guy writes for the Akron Beckon Journal. Turn on any sports radio station they are talking about it.

MikeO
11-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Guillen and Cox managers of the year.

No real argument on either. Both well deserved.