PDA

View Full Version : The Heat are retiring Dan Marino's number...

unifiedtheory
11-14-2005, 02:54 PM
I guess the Dolphins should reitre Alonzo Mourning's #33 next.:lol:

GreenMonster
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
That is the just plain dumb... Maybe the Hawks should do a tribute to Hank Aaron to get them to play better..

RWhitney014
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
The Heat are stupid this way. They've now retired two numbers: Michael Jordan's 23 and Dan Marino's 13...why not Tim Hardaway's 10? Zo's 33 will be retired upon retirement. But Dan Marino? What happened to Glen Rice? Rony Seikaly? Hell, Harold Miner? Get a Heater up there!

d-day
11-14-2005, 04:57 PM
The Heat are stupid this way. They've now retired two numbers: Michael Jordan's 23 and Dan Marino's 13...why not Tim Hardaway's 10? Zo's 33 will be retired upon retirement. But Dan Marino? What happened to Glen Rice? Rony Seikaly? Hell, Harold Miner? Get a Heater up there!

:chuckle: - i loved harold minor - best dunker i ever saw - too bad he couldn't play...

Darth Saban
11-14-2005, 05:22 PM
:chuckle: - i loved harold minor - best dunker i ever saw - too bad he couldn't play...

The entire NBA should retire the number 13....it's a disgrace to Wilt Chamberlain the greatest innovator in NBA History for people to be allowed to wear it.

NorthFloridaFin
11-14-2005, 05:28 PM
to Glen Rice, Rony Seikaly? Hell, Harold Miner? Get a Heater up there!

I hope you are just joking with those names:D

ohall
11-14-2005, 05:38 PM
So they retire Jordan's #, and now Marino's. I don't get it?!

Prime
11-14-2005, 05:49 PM
You are suppose to retire the players #'s who have done great things for YOUR team, not another sports or another players team.

NJFINSFAN1
11-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I think that's great, but I still hope they lose all the rest of there games!:rolleyes:

chrome4
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
I hope you are just joking with those names:D
Agreed

chrome4
11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
this post never happened. ;)

MikeO
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
the franchise is a joke and always has been.

Retire Marino's number??????? How f'n stupid!

dob72
11-14-2005, 06:23 PM
where did u hear this at

Whatsdatson20
11-14-2005, 09:31 PM

Bitter??? A bit much!

FinsNYanksFan13
11-14-2005, 11:00 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with this. In fact, I think it would be cool if all Miami area sports teams retired the number out of respect for Dan!

RWhitney014
11-14-2005, 11:13 PM
First of all, yes, I was joking. If I wasn't I would fire myself as a columnist.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this. In fact, I think it would be cool if all Miami area sports teams retired the number out of respect for Dan!

Second, why should Miami area sports teams suck up to Dan Marino? I understand everyone here thinks he's a demigod, but he was a football player. Are they going to have a Dolphins jersey hanging in the rafters? A Heat jersey with the name Marino on it? What happens if the league does retire 13 for Chamberlain, is Miami going to have to unretire Marino's 13 to accommodate the league (parallel example, the Yankees won't retire Rivera's 42 after he retires himself because 42 is already retired for Jackie Robinson. In both cases, it would be a huge insult to the real retirees.)?

I think it's a stupid move based solely on marketing, and this is not a team that needs to market itself right now.

finfansince72
11-15-2005, 01:03 AM
I think this is stupid and Im a diehard Marino fan. Why would another sport retire Marino's number? I can kindof sortof almost see retiring MJ's number but Marino's? Idiotic.

Section126
11-15-2005, 01:38 AM

Hardly.

Bitter Knicks fan?

Section126
11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
seeing how passionate the Heat haters are about how stupid this is....I am all for it now.

BTW....the Heat should retire #10 and #33.....

Hardaway has a shot at the HOF and so does ZO...they would be worthy....

phunwin
11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
seeing how passionate the Heat haters are about how stupid this is....I am all for it now.

BTW....the Heat should retire #10 and #33.....

Hardaway has a shot at the HOF and so does ZO...they would be worthy....

#33, yes. #10, maybe not.

Hardaway played 422 games with Golden State and 367 with Miami. And many of those 367 were when he was on the downside of a fine career. He had three all-star appearances as a Warrior and two as a member of the Heat. He hit his statistical peak as a member of the Warriors from 1991-93, blew out his knee in 94 and never quite reached those heights again. Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardati01.html

So if anyone should retire Hardaway's #10, it's Golden State and not Miami.

Section126
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
#33, yes. #10, maybe not.

Hardaway played 422 games with Golden State and 367 with Miami. And many of those 367 were when he was on the downside of a fine career. He had three all-star appearances as a Warrior and two as a member of the Heat. He hit his statistical peak as a member of the Warriors from 1991-93, blew out his knee in 94 and never quite reached those heights again. Source: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardati01.html

So if anyone should retire Hardaway's #10, it's Golden State and not Miami.

I kinda agree with you.....but if Hardaway makes the HOF.....you gotta retire his number....he played almost half of his career here....

nyjunc
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
the Yankees won't retire Rivera's 42 after he retires himself because 42 is already retired for Jackie Robinson.

Absolutely #42 will be retired for Mariano. I haven't been to Monument Park lately but I'm not sure if #42 is there, if so it is honored and not retired since marinao was Grandfathered in and #42 will be retired for Mariano.

Section126
11-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Absolutely #42 will be retired for Mariano. I haven't been to Monument Park lately but I'm not sure if #42 is there, if so it is honored and not retired since marinao was Grandfathered in and #42 will be retired for Mariano.

and if there is a current Yankee that deserves it is Mariano Rivera....the guy is a first ballot hall of famer.....and the best closer in baseball history.

He might be in the top ten yankees of all-time....

1. Babe Ruth
2. Lou Gherig
3. Mickey Mantle
4. Joe Dimaggio
5. Yogi Berra
6. Derek Jeter
7. Don Mattingly
8. Thurman Munson
9. Whitey Ford
10. Mariano Rivera (Tie) Roger Maris

If I am missing somebody...let me know...I probably am....(not a yankees fan)

nyjunc
11-15-2005, 10:44 AM
and if there is a current Yankee that deserves it is Mariano Rivera....the guy is a first ballot hall of famer.....and the best closer in baseball history.

He might be in the top ten yankees of all-time....

1. Babe Ruth
2. Lou Gherig
3. Mickey Mantle
4. Joe Dimaggio
5. Yogi Berra
6. Derek Jeter
7. Don Mattingly
8. Thurman Munson
9. Whitey Ford
10. Mariano Rivera (Tie) Roger Maris

If I am missing somebody...let me know...I probably am....(not a yankees fan)

Mariano is definitely above Maris, maris had a few good years but isn't an all-time great Yankee. I'd put him #6 on this list, As great as Jeter has been Mariano has been even better and he's definitely ahead of Donnie & Munson and probably slightly ahead of Whitey.

phunwin
11-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I kinda agree with you.....but if Hardaway makes the HOF.....you gotta retire his number....he played almost half of his career here....

Is there precedent for that? Did the Lakers and Sixers both retire Wilt's #13? I think they did. Of course, Wilt Chamberlain was perhaps the greatest player ever. He was certainly the most dominant. Hardaway, while a fantastic point guard, certainly doesn't enter that discussion.

But yeah, I'd say that if he makes the Hall, both teams could retire his #10.

QB2RonnieTD23
11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Is there precedent for that? Did the Lakers and Sixers both retire Wilt's #13? I think they did. Of course, Wilt Chamberlain was perhaps the greatest player ever. He was certainly the most dominant. Hardaway, while a fantastic point guard, certainly doesn't enter that discussion.

But yeah, I'd say that if he makes the Hall, both teams could retire his #10.

Warriors also retired Wilts number :)

phunwin
11-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Mariano is definitely above Maris, maris had a few good years but isn't an all-time great Yankee. I'd put him #6 on this list, As great as Jeter has been Mariano has been even better and he's definitely ahead of Donnie & Munson and probably slightly ahead of Whitey.

Maris isn't even in the HOF. And most Yankee fans don't want to hear this, but Mattingly was a good, not great, player. The myth exceeds the man by a country mile. He was excellent from 1984-87, and was a league average first baseman for most of the remainder of his career. Careerwise, he was fairly similar to Will Clark, a player who definitely isn't going to Cooperstown.

phunwin
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Warriors also retired Wilts number :)

That's right! They were the Philadelphia Warriors before moving to Oakland, I totally forgot about that. So 3 teams retired #13? That's impressive.

nyjunc
11-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Maris isn't even in the HOF. And most Yankee fans don't want to hear this, but Mattingly was a good, not great, player. The myth exceeds the man by a country mile. He was excellent from 1984-87, and was a league average first baseman for most of the remainder of his career. Careerwise, he was fairly similar to Will Clark, a player who definitely isn't going to Cooperstown.

Donnie was well on his way to the HOF before injuries derailed him. He's beloved b/c he played on alot of bad to medicore teams and always played hard and had his career robbed to due his back probelms but he never complained.

MikeO
11-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Hardly.

Bitter Knicks fan?

Not a Knicks fan at all. Not even a fan of 1 NBA team in paticular. Think the entire league is a joke being played by criminals and thugs. Follow it but with only one eye on it really. Not a big fan.

The Heat are still a joke though (not the team this year or the players or anything like that, just as a franchise as a whole)

MikeO
11-15-2005, 11:46 AM

8 is retired twice for the Yanks. They will do the same with 42. One for MO and the other of course for the great Jackie Robinson

Darth Saban
11-15-2005, 04:57 PM
isn't Baseball trying to get number 42 retired across Baseball in respect to Jackie Robinson? Or was that for Roberto Clemente....i saw a feature on it i cant remember.

RWhitney014
11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
42 is retired league-wide for Robinson, but players who wore 42 before it were still allowed to, most notably Rivera and Mo Vaughn. They'll honor Mo, but retiring his number is a knock to Robinson IMO.

Phil, Hardaway might not have been the best player ever here, but it was the combination of him and Zo that brought Miami to the top for the first time. And people still love him here. He owns a minor league basketball team, lives in the area, and donates a lot of money to charities, and he gets huge cheers when they show him on the Jumbotron. There are plenty of players for teams that have numbers retired simply because they were popular (cough, MARINO [as a Heat], cough). Timmy should be as well.

nyjunc
11-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Or was that for Roberto Clemente

it's Clemente and no disrespect to a great player in Clemente but it's asinine to even think about retiring his # leaguewide.

Phil, Hardaway might not have been the best player ever here, but it was the combination of him and Zo that brought Miami to the top for the first time

On top? They have never even made a Finals appearance. They have been on top of their division but that's it.

Ray Finkle
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
42 is retired league-wide for Robinson, but players who wore 42 before it were still allowed to, most notably Rivera and Mo Vaughn. They'll honor Mo, but retiring his number is a knock to Robinson IMO.

I disagree I don't think that retiring #42 for Rivera would be a knock to Robinson. Rivera wore that number for at least 3 years before MLB decided to retire Robinson's number. Rivera is one of the top pitchers in Yankee history and his number deserves to be retired. I would find it disrespectful and a knock if the Yankees didn't retire Rivera's number.

MikeO
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
I disagree I don't think that retiring #42 for Rivera would be a knock to Robinson. Rivera wore that number for at least 3 years before MLB decided to retire Robinson's number. Rivera is one of the top pitchers in Yankee history and his number deserves to be retired. I would find it disrespectful and a knock if the Yankees didn't retire Rivera's number.

Not just a top pitcher in Yankee history. Maybe the best relief pitcher/closer in the history of the sport. I agree though it isn't a knock on Robinson to retire Mo's number.

RWhitney014
11-15-2005, 08:19 PM
On top? They have never even made a Finals appearance. They have been on top of their division but that's it.

Before he and Zo came, Miami stunk. After they came, they were perennial frontrunners. Got them a new arena and everything.

MikeO
11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Not to mention they were once a 1 seed who lost in the first round of the playoffs to an 8 seed.

RWhitney014
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Not to mention they were once a 1 seed who lost in the first round of the playoffs to an 8 seed.

Oh, come off it, if you didn't care that much about the NBA like you allege, you wouldn't be harping on this. But I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

MikeO
11-16-2005, 04:46 AM
Oh, come off it, if you didn't care that much about the NBA like you allege, you wouldn't be harping on this. But I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

harping on what? I put up one post about them retiring his number. :shakeno:

Ray Finkle
11-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I still think retiring Marino's number is dumb.

It is dumb, what's next? The Celtics retiring Ted Williams number? The Knicks retiring Jeters? Should Jackie Robinson's number be retired in every sport?

I love Dan Marino as much as the next Dolphin fan but come on how many points or games did he win for the Heat?

RWhitney014
11-16-2005, 06:52 PM
harping on what? I put up one post about them retiring his number. :shakeno:

You've had more than one post knocking the Heat and the NBA's "thugs", as you put it.

MikeO
11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
You've had more than one post knocking the Heat and the NBA's "thugs", as you put it.

On Marino's number, don't go changing the argument. I put up 1 post on Marino's number being retired.

On the other stuff I was just responding to what people put up to my posts.:shakeno: God, just put me on IGNORE if you hate me that much and have this many issues with me. :shakeno:

RWhitney014
11-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Then your post about only having posted once about Marino was a non sequitur, because my post was in reference to your multiple posts about the Heat/NBA stinking. Although I seem to remember something about the Celtics sucking in your sig for a while. But I guess I'm getting to you, so I'll lay off. :wink:

MikeO
11-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Then your post about only having posted once about Marino was a non sequitur, because my post was in reference to your multiple posts about the Heat/NBA stinking. Although I seem to remember something about the Celtics sucking in your sig for a while. But I guess I'm getting to you, so I'll lay off. :wink:

Not getting to me, but starting to come off like a moron when you say I harp on soemthing and only put up 1 post about it. Seems to a lot of the staff here that I have talked to that you are now pushing a "vendetta" or "grudge" against me by responding to anything I post just to disagree with me. We have been noticing it of late and have talked about it. Don't understand it really, but we have noticed it.

RWhitney014
11-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Not getting to me, but starting to come off like a moron when you say I harp on soemthing and only put up 1 post about it. Seems to a lot of the staff here that I have talked to that you are now pushing a "vendetta" or "grudge" against me by responding to anything I post just to disagree with me. We have been noticing it of late and have talked about it. Don't understand it really, but we have noticed it.

Haha, are you trying to report me? I just disagree with a lot of your statements. I never attack you personally. But the funny thing is here that we agree on this thread: the Heat retiring Marino's number is ridiculous.

SMadison29
11-17-2005, 12:12 AM
So they retire Jordan's #, and now Marino's. I don't get it?!

The two greatest players ever in their respective sports. I kinda understand it. Jordan is the greatest ever, so he got the Jackie Robinson treatment from the Heat. Marino is Miami's biggest hero & probably the most famous person in the city's history.

I think the Heat are trying to retire all the #s that end in 3. In the future 3-Dwayne Wade, 13-Marino, 23-Jordan, 33-Mourning...

Muck
11-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I think it's a dumb idea.

They've got guys from other teams and other sports up there. Yet Alec Kessler continues to be denied.

nyjunc
11-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Is Jordan's # retired leaguewide? I don't remember them doing that but that is ridiculous. It's so silly to retire a player's # leaguewide when that player only played for a team or 2. I can understand and live w/ MLB doing it for jackie Robinson b/c that was bigger than the game but tor etire Michael's #s in the NBA is silly and the uprorar lately to retire Clemente's # leaguewide is even more silly. These leagues need tos top w/ this nonsense.

unifiedtheory
11-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Is Jordan's # retired leaguewide? I don't remember them doing that but that is ridiculous. It's so silly to retire a player's # leaguewide when that player only played for a team or 2. I can understand and live w/ MLB doing it for jackie Robinson b/c that was bigger than the game but tor etire Michael's #s in the NBA is silly and the uprorar lately to retire Clemente's # leaguewide is even more silly. These leagues need tos top w/ this nonsense.

The only players that should have their respected numbers retired league wide are Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky....and that has been done already.

Punisher77
11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
weird......

SMadison29
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
The only players that should have their respected numbers retired league wide are Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky....and that has been done already.

Gretzky's # was retired league wide?

I don't think Jackie Robinson's # should have been retired league wide. He wasn't the greatest, or nowhere near the greatest. Sure he faced some adversity but so have a lot of other athletes.

Only the best, the very best should be retired league wide. And since that topic is so disputable in MLB & the NFL there shouldn't be any. The NHL has the obvious Gretzky & the NBA has Jordan. That's it.

Ray Finkle
11-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't think Jackie Robinson's # should have been retired league wide. He wasn't the greatest, or nowhere near the greatest. Sure he faced some adversity but so have a lot of other athletes.

Only the best, the very best should be retired league wide. And since that topic is so disputable in MLB & the NFL there shouldn't be any. The NHL has the obvious Gretzky & the NBA has Jordan. That's it.

If there was no Jackie Robinson then there might not be a Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron etc. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier down in baseball. It has nothing to do with being a great player or not it has to do with his lasting impact in the game. Jackie Robinson, at the time he played, faced more adversity than any pro athlete does today. He was the only black ball player in America playing for the MLB. Remember that America was still racist back then too. You shouldn't compare what a player goes through today and what Jackie Robinson went through because it won't be close.

I disagree with only the best having their numbers retired league wide. Why should the Suns or Rockets have #23 retired just because Michael Jordan was one of the greatest baseball players ever? Why should the Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Devil Rays have #3 retired for Babe Ruth. They didn't do anything for those franchises.

RWhitney014
11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
If there was no Jackie Robinson then there might not be a Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron etc. Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier down in baseball. It has nothing to do with being a great player or not it has to do with his lasting impact in the game. Jackie Robinson, at the time he played, faced more adversity than any pro athlete does today. He was the only black ball player in America playing for the MLB. Remember that America was still racist back then too. You shouldn't compare what a player goes through today and what Jackie Robinson went through because it won't be close.

I disagree with only the best having their numbers retired league wide. Why should the Suns or Rockets have #23 retired just because Michael Jordan was one of the greatest baseball players ever? Why should the Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Devil Rays have #3 retired for Babe Ruth. They didn't do anything for those franchises.

:link:

Ray Finkle
11-21-2005, 12:50 AM
:link:

No link, that was my opinion. It IS possible that Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron would have been around, however you could argue that without Jackie Robinson there would be no Willie Mays in the MLB. (I'm still upset that the Red Sox had a chance to have both Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays on their team yet they past up on both because the owner didn't want colors on his team :fire: ) Jackie Robinson is an inspiration is many people and the MLB did the right thing retiring his number league wide.

My question is should someone like Roberto Clemente, who is a big reason why Latino ball players are in the MLB, have his number retired?

MikeO
11-21-2005, 02:22 AM
No link, that was my opinion. It IS possible that Barry Bonds or Hank Aaron would have been around, however you could argue that without Jackie Robinson there would be no Willie Mays in the MLB. (I'm still upset that the Red Sox had a chance to have both Jackie Robinson AND Willie Mays on their team yet they past up on both because the owner didn't want colors on his team :fire: ) Jackie Robinson is an inspiration is many people and the MLB did the right thing retiring his number league wide.

My question is should someone like Roberto Clemente, who is a big reason why Latino ball players are in the MLB, have his number retired?

I'm not big into the whole "RETIRING NUMBERS" thing. And on a lesser level the "RINGS OF FAME" that teams do. First off, aside from Jackie no league should retire a players number. Second, teams should only retire numbers of guys who actually did something meaningful for such team. Jordan=Bulls. Marino=Fins. Montana=SF. Banks=Cubs. Ewing=Knicks. So on and so forth.

If the Pirates want to retire Clemente's number that would be fine (they might/probably already have I don't know). But for a "league wide" retiring it would be stupid in my opinion. As it would be for any athlete.

RWhitney014
11-21-2005, 11:14 AM

:lol:

It was supposed to be a joke...

Ray Finkle
11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
:lol:

It was supposed to be a joke...

Well it wasn't a very good one.... work on your material chump! ;) :lol:

Ray Finkle
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm not big into the whole "RETIRING NUMBERS" thing. And on a lesser level the "RINGS OF FAME" that teams do. First off, aside from Jackie no league should retire a players number. Second, teams should only retire numbers of guys who actually did something meaningful for such team. Jordan=Bulls. Marino=Fins. Montana=SF. Banks=Cubs. Ewing=Knicks. So on and so forth.

If the Pirates want to retire Clemente's number that would be fine (they might/probably already have I don't know). But for a "league wide" retiring it would be stupid in my opinion. As it would be for any athlete.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%.

As for the second, it's not that I disagree but more of playing devil's adovcate because people could argue that Clemente broke down the Latino barrier in the MLB. Therefore why shouldn't his number be retired. (Of course then someone would argue that Nomo's number should be retired league wide because he got Japanese players into the game).