PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield2: Mordern Combat -- Xbox

mor911
11-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Battlefield2: Mordern Combat -- Xbox

Well, The Mor owns BF2 for the PC... The Mor didn't play it quite as much as he should have because The Mor's PC won't run it. Thus, The Mor always had to use his roomate's PC to play BF2. All in all, BF2 for the PC is an excellent game. Great graphics, awesome effects, perfect physics, beautiful presentation, excellent online presence, and wonderful online stat tracking and promotion system.

Now lets talk about the Xbox (also available on PS2, although The Mor never played it... There's been articles and posts on game forums that it suffers the same pros and cons as the Xbox version). This is by no means a perfect game... It's definitely NOT a bad game. Your judgement on this game will be defined on what you're loooking for in Battlefield2: Mordern Combat.

First, The Mor will like to note that THIS IS NOT A PC PORT. People that are looking for the PC game, need to purchase it for the PC. This is a new game developed from the ground up for the consoles. EA and Dice has added a single player mode (with a story and a feature called hot-swap) to try and please the offline crowd... While hot-swapping looks really cool, it The Mor's honest opinion, it sucks. The single player campaign is boring and a lame attempt to make an online-only game playable offline. All of you BF fans out there (Astrofiend I'm looking at you) know that BF2 is a multiplayer game, and that's also where the Xbox version shines. This game is an amazing multiplayer game. The Xbox Live messaging system is a little stupid (can't send voice messages), but all in all, gameplay is solid. EA also decided to host all of the games on their own dedicated servers. This ended up being a good and a bad thing.

When EA's servers are up and working correctly, this game rocks. The Mor will even go out on a limb and say that this game is more fun to play online than... Halo2? (Someone back me up) Herein lies the problem. When this game launched a few weeks ago, EA's servers were anything but up and running. Lag, connection problems, constant drops, and stats screw-ups plagued the first few weeks of this games existance. The Mor still found it great fun (when he connected to a working server).

Two patches and several server fixes later, and the game seems 100% more stable. Last night TheStern and The Mor played for about 3 hours. The Mor loves this game. If you like FPS online, and awesome territorial battles, get BF2:MC now!

Goods -- Great online. Stats seem to be working now. EA definitely seems to be driven to correct all of the server bugs. Awesome graphics in 480p. Any BF, BF2 player will appreciate and like this game. Great multiplayer game for the consoles.

Bad -- Still some server problems at times (says "server full") when it definitely is not. Issues inviting friends to play and friends showing up offline. The singlr player campaign... It's dumb.

The Verdict -- 8.6 of 10 || Buy it if you like solid online FPS games.

FinsNCanes
11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I might just have to check it out and whip your *** but I'm not fond of FPS where you respawn. See..I admire XBOX cause they actually patch their online games unlike ps2. I bought Socom III and haven't even played it because my mic doesn't work (they claim you have to open all these ports and what not) but I didn't realize you had to be a computer genius to operate a game on the ps2. Not to mentionall my ports are open anyways.

byroan
11-15-2005, 02:18 AM
I love BF2 on the PC. One of my fav. games.

Astro_Fiend
11-15-2005, 09:36 AM
nice review The Mor, i was wondering what the console version of bf2 would be like (i have no way of knowing since i own no console games). good to see that you can get your fix even though your pc wont run the other version. speaking of which, anyone wanna donate me some ram? im running about 256m UNDER the minimum to run this game....:crying:

Motion
11-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Everything that I've read says it doesn't measure up to the PC version at all. I have the PS2 version sitting at home from Gamefly but haven't played it yet.

UltraDol-Fan
11-15-2005, 11:32 AM
I was going to get it but I decided to wait for the 360, I may go rent it though.

mor911
11-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Everything that I've read says it doesn't measure up to the PC version at all. I have the PS2 version sitting at home from Gamefly but haven't played it yet.Well... Honestly, The Mor will say that the PC is a superior game. It offers more options for your gaming dollar. Do remember that the console version and PC version are very different games. Don't let this statement fool you into thinking this game is not good.