PDA

View Full Version : USB wireless internet hookup for PS2?

spydertl79
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I recently installed a wireless router at my house with a router in the family room, a computer in the living room and a computer in my room. It's wireless G. I happen to have an extra USB router lying around and I was curious as to whether or not it is possible to use that to connect to the internet on my PS2 because I noticed that the PS2 has a USB port. I have the network adapter on my PS2 and it works if I hook up an ethernet cable to it but it's a huge pain in the arse to take my PS2 and my 27" TV out to the living room. Can anyone help me? I've searched the internet high and low but to no avail.

AquaInferno
11-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I recently installed a wireless router at my house with a router in the family room, a computer in the living room and a computer in my room. It's wireless G. I happen to have an extra USB router lying around and I was curious as to whether or not it is possible to use that to connect to the internet on my PS2 because I noticed that the PS2 has a USB port. I have the network adapter on my PS2 and it works if I hook up an ethernet cable to it but it's a huge pain in the arse to take my PS2 and my 27" TV out to the living room. Can anyone help me? I've searched the internet high and low but to no avail.

I use wireless, USB only works on the PS2 for headsets and keyboards. No wireless USB device works on the PS2, nor any wired one. What you need is a wireless access point. It's a box with an antenna it goes into that ethernet port and with it's antenna grabs onto your wireless network. Dlink makes mine it's highly recommended by gamers including myself. It's the Dlink DWL-810 here's a review: http://gear.ign.com/articles/379/379071p1.html
Any wireless access point will work tho.
P.S. USB was intended for burts of data transmission not constant streams like broadband, I recommend against using USB to connect to the net if ethernet is an option.

Hope that hepls :D

AquaInferno
11-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Just to add, once in a while I have to take down my Wireless access point and reconnect it to my pc to configure it. Configuration for these must be done on the PC. I found the secret to wireless... If it don't work unplug everything (Router and WAP) Then plug it back in.

Amars
11-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I use wireless, USB only works on the PS2 for headsets and keyboards. No wireless USB device works on the PS2, nor any wired one. What you need is a wireless access point. It's a box with an antenna it goes into that ethernet port and with it's antenna grabs onto your wireless network. Dlink makes mine it's highly recommended by gamers including myself. It's the Dlink DWL-810 here's a review: http://gear.ign.com/articles/379/379071p1.html
Any wireless access point will work tho.
P.S. USB was intended for burts of data transmission not constant streams like broadband, I recommend against using USB to connect to the net if ethernet is an option.

Hope that hepls :D

ya what he said.