PDA

View Full Version : Marlins will explore relocation

dob72
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
i'm sure that will make alot of u dolphins only fans happy

Caps
11-22-2005, 05:45 PM
I've never really followed the Marlins closely, and I want them out of Dolphins Stadium. But I do feel bad that they weren't able to get a deal done for the new stadium, I wanted them to get one badly. God bless that franchise, they've been spending more than they've been making for years now. Good luck to them, whatever happens.

NJFINSFAN1
11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I was laughing so hard, they were talking about this on ESPN Radio, and this guy calls and says rent in the area is to high, he pays 1200 bucks a month. That's why he does not go to baseball games.

Man, come move up to this area, that will get you a 5 by 5 shed!

dob72
11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I was laughing so hard, they were talking about this on ESPN Radio, and this guy calls and says rent in the area is to high, he pays 1200 bucks a month. That's why he does not go to baseball games.

Man, come move up to this area, that will get you a 5 by 5 shed!
must be a nice shed

NJFINSFAN1
11-22-2005, 06:45 PM
must be a nice shed

Yes, it has a floor!:lol:

miamikid92
11-22-2005, 06:54 PM
nooooo this sucks..!!!

miamikid92
11-22-2005, 07:54 PM
wat are the chances of the marlins moving to nj

finfansince72
11-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Baseball has too many teams, they should contract. The expansions they made years ago havent been working out, Florida has had some onthefield success, theyve actually been a great expansion team, but they still cant get public support for a new stadium and have to move. Sad. I root for just about every Florida team so Id like to see a team stay down there but if they move Tampa cant be far behind.

Ray Finkle
11-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Baseball has too many teams, they should contract. The expansions they made years ago havent been working out, Florida has had some onthefield success, theyve actually been a great expansion team, but they still cant get public support for a new stadium and have to move. Sad. I root for just about every Florida team so Id like to see a team stay down there but if they move Tampa cant be far behind.

Baseball won't contract because thousands of people will lose jobs. Not only ball players but workers that sell hot dogs in the stadium or the beer guys. It'll be hard to do that. But if baseball does decide to do it in my opinion the Devil Rays should go way before the Marlins.

MikeO
11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Baseball won't contract because thousands of people will lose jobs. Not only ball players but workers that sell hot dogs in the stadium or the beer guys. It'll be hard to do that. But if baseball does decide to do it in my opinion the Devil Rays should go way before the Marlins.

Contaction was a possibility. The union took a hard hit with the new "DRUG POLICY" no way will they ever ever ever cave in now on contraction and putting union members out of work on the major league level. That will never happen.

The Marlins are gone!!!!!!! Las Vegas is probably where they will end up. Maybe Memphis. Portland is another possibility. But Vegas is probably it. MLB wants to beat the NBA to that market and this is the team they have pegged.

This really isn't news, its just now coming out to the mainstream more. This has been talked about for a year straight that since the Marlins won't get a new stadium, they are leaving town.

phunwin
11-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Given the ever-rising cost of taking a family to a baseball game, I think it's pretty clear that baseball doesn't give a crap about the little guy, so the "collateral" loss of jobs won't enter into the equation.

But contraction is no longer a possibility. For one, they handled it (as Bud Selig usually does) in the most ham-handed way possible when it came up in 2001. The PR hit for bringing it up again is not something they'll want to deal with. For another, the union was vehemently opposed to it the first time, and now that they've caved in big time on the steroid issue, there's no way it'll happen. The union will say (rightly) "we gave a lot of ground on the last big issue that came up, and so you owe us."

nyjunc
11-23-2005, 10:48 AM
It's time they get immediately, it's a joke what they did after '97 and a joke what they are doing now and this franchise has won not 1 but TWO World Championships in their short existence. No one cares about the marlins down there, they can't draw flies, they can't get a new building. The marlins are basically the Devil Rays but w/ 2 Championships.

MikeO
11-23-2005, 11:20 AM
It's time they get immediately, it's a joke what they did after '97 and a joke what they are doing now and this franchise has won not 1 but TWO World Championships in their short existence. No one cares about the marlins down there, they can't draw flies, they can't get a new building. The marlins are basically the Devil Rays but w/ 2 Championships.

The bottom line is the "PERCEPTION" around MLB is no sympathy for the Marlins. Teams like the Cubs, up until recently the Red Sox, the Cardinals, the Giants.......long established franchises in MLB have waited years, decades, longer to sniff one championship!!!! Yet, the Marlins come here overnight, win 2, and can't even get support from the fan base or turn a profit.

RWhitney014
11-23-2005, 12:02 PM
The bottom line is the "PERCEPTION" around MLB is no sympathy for the Marlins. Teams like the Cubs, up until recently the Red Sox, the Cardinals, the Giants.......long established franchises in MLB have waited years, decades, longer to sniff one championship!!!! Yet, the Marlins come here overnight, win 2, and can't even get support from the fan base or turn a profit.

Yeah, it is pretty pathetic that no one will come out. They won it in 2003 and spent in 2004 and 2005 to try to entice people and politicians, but nothing. We need an Arte Moreno to come along, because word is the politicians want a Hispanic owner. This is pathetic.

byroan
11-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Charlotte is being looked at as a possible place. There won't be a new stadium built though. Money was just spent to build the Bobcats new arena and they're trying to recruit the Nascar hall of fame. The Bobcats lost the fan vote for the new arena so it had to be built with private funds. The fan support would be very poor here. They'd probably do better in Raleigh if they come to NC.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-112305-jmn-Marlins_to_clt.8aba14.html

Jt0323
11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
wat are the chances of the marlins moving to nj

im goona say Real Slim

QB2RonnieTD23
11-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm a Phillies fan, i hate the Marlins enough without the fact that they ruin Dolphins home games throughout september and possibly october. Get rid of them, send them to Vegas, send them whereever just get them the hell away from us.

Prime Time
11-26-2005, 02:39 PM
This just sucks. Marlins deserve to play and stay here in South Florida. I really dislike all the Dolphin Fans who are not Marlin Fans who keep sayin' kick them out....WTF, Fins aren't the only sports team here in South Florida.

Dudeman
11-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Contraction IS a possiblility.

The league can do it without union consent if they want to following the 2006 season

Q: This deal provides for no contraction through 2006, but says the union can't fight it in 2007. Does that mean contraction is inevitable in 2007?

A: No way. All it means is that the players agreed they won't file any grievances to stop it. That doesn't prevent exactly what happened in Minnesota this year. Leasing authorities, team employees, stadium workers and season-ticket holders can still sue. Local governments can raise a stink. Minor-league franchises can seek restraining orders. Contraction still faces many hurdles beyond just the players' union.

The players can do nothing about it beyond 2K6

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1425248.html

phunwin
11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Even though the black letter law of the CBA says they can contract, there are still way too many obstacles to doing so. And even if the union can't officially block it, they can still raise hell and strike. Granted, it would be an illegal strike, but what's Selig going to do, fire them? They're not air traffic controllers, and Selig damn sure ain't Ronald Reagan.

If contraction is a technical possibility (and thanks for noting that, Dudeman; I had assumed the union bargained to keep it out of the owners' hands), it's not a realistic one.

IMHO, here are my odds on the Marlins home for 2007 and beyond...
South Florida 3-1
Las Vegas, NV 7-2
Charlotte, NC 10-1
Portland, OR 10-1
Monterrey, Mexico 15-1
San Juan, PR 50-1
New Jersey 50-1

And just for old time's sake:
Montreal, PQ 1,000,000-1

RWhitney014
11-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Even though the black letter law of the CBA says they can contract, there are still way too many obstacles to doing so. And even if the union can't officially block it, they can still raise hell and strike. Granted, it would be an illegal strike, but what's Selig going to do, fire them? They're not air traffic controllers, and Selig damn sure ain't Ronald Reagan.

If contraction is a technical possibility (and thanks for noting that, Dudeman; I had assumed the union bargained to keep it out of the owners' hands), it's not a realistic one.

IMHO, here are my odds on the Marlins home for 2007 and beyond...
South Florida 3-1
Las Vegas, NV 7-2
Charlotte, NC 10-1
Portland, OR 10-1
Monterrey, Mexico 15-1
San Juan, PR 50-1
New Jersey 50-1

And just for old time's sake:
Montreal, PQ 1,000,000-1

And Buffalo? 1,00000000000000000000000000,000-1 :lol:

But I'm going to have to make a minor adjustment. The Marlins will still be here for the 2007 season. The quickest a stadium can be built elsewhere is in time for the 2008 season, but with the glacial pace MLB moves at with these things and the fact that our lease runs through 2010 in Dolphins Stadium, 2006 won't be the last season...and while we're on the topic...

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/244.html

phunwin
11-26-2005, 08:53 PM

Aw man, that's cold. Major League Baseball screwed over the Nickel City back in 1968, and folks haven't forgotten. Of course, now the combination of lousy weather and a worse economy have made Buffalo's chances of landing a baseball team only marginally better than Anchorage, Alaska's.

MikeO
11-26-2005, 09:13 PM

But I'm going to have to make a minor adjustment. The Marlins will still be here for the 2007 season. The quickest a stadium can be built elsewhere is in time for the 2008 season, but with the glacial pace MLB moves at with these things and the fact that our lease runs through 2010 in Dolphins Stadium, 2006 won't be the last season...and while we're on the topic...

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/244.html

Yes they will probably be there for the 2007 season, but they don't need to wait for a new built stadium to move. They could play a year or two in a converted football stadium or a very large AAA stadium (depending on the city) and be out ASAP.

NaboCane
11-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Aw man, that's cold. Major League Baseball screwed over the Nickel City back in 1968, and folks haven't forgotten. Of course, now the combination of lousy weather and a worse economy have made Buffalo's chances of landing a baseball team only marginally better than Anchorage, Alaska's.

I think that despite being a small market, Buffalo could support a BB team.

Look at Seattle; when the Pilots were here for one season in '68, they could hardly get 2000 fans into the stands. Yet the Mariners have been a runaway success story here since their inception in '76, despite the way the team routinely breaks its fans' hearts, and despite the abysmal personnel decisions over the years.

cnc66
11-26-2005, 10:15 PM

that name is new to me, I understand it and think it is clever, but being from Miami the city nicknames I learned ..well, Nickle City is cool.

MikeO
11-26-2005, 11:44 PM
without a salary cap and a major TV deal a MLB team in Buffalo would die overnight. (ie Pittsburgh).

Fans might show up but without the big money coming in from TV and other sources, a team in Buffalo couldn't seriously compete with the big boys.

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 12:40 AM

It was more a knock on Bills fans than you, but you can take it that way if you want. :lol:

What's funny is that when MLB gave Miami and Denver teams in 1992, Buffalo, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay were the runners-up. Which one still doesn't have a team? :rofl3:

Another reason why Buffalo rules...but at least they have the Sabres!

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Yes they will probably be there for the 2007 season, but they don't need to wait for a new built stadium to move. They could play a year or two in a converted football stadium or a very large AAA stadium (depending on the city) and be out ASAP.

Las Vegas obviously doesn't have a football stadium (whatever UNLV uses doesn't count), and Cashman Field not only is too small, but the Dodgers AAA team needs it.

Portland has a small AAA park and no football stadium. Charlotte has the football stadium, but the closest facility is in Durham. Which is also too small. The only open facility was in DC, but that's being used. So unless you're suggesting a short-term move to Montreal, South Florida is definitely the best immediate option.

And they can't move somewhere with the assumption that a park will be built, because, as I said in the article, look at what Washington is going through right now.

Jimmy James
11-27-2005, 12:55 AM
i'm sure that will make alot of u dolphins only fans happy

I'm not happy to see Miami lose any teams, but you're damned right that I'll do a dance of joy when they're out of the stadium and I never have to see the dirt infield disgrace the football field my beloved Dolphins play on. I will say that I think it's pathetic the local fans cannot support sports better than they do -- I often wonder if the Dolphins would still be there if not for the broad national fanbase I'm a part of.

MikeO
11-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Las Vegas obviously doesn't have a football stadium (whatever UNLV uses doesn't count), and Cashman Field not only is too small, but the Dodgers AAA team needs it.

Portland has a small AAA park and no football stadium. Charlotte has the football stadium, but the closest facility is in Durham. Which is also too small. The only open facility was in DC, but that's being used. So unless you're suggesting a short-term move to Montreal, South Florida is definitely the best immediate option.

And they can't move somewhere with the assumption that a park will be built, because, as I said in the article, look at what Washington is going through right now.

Two things to remember. There is construction then there is "VEGAS CONSTRUCTION". They put things up overnight it seems like out there. So, IF they want to build a new stadium they could very quickly.

You might have the Marlins as a LAME DUCK team in Miami till 2008 or 2009. But they will be nothing more than the "new era Expos" who aren't competitive and are the laughing stock of MLB. Probably playing half their games in Miami and the other half in Puerto Rico until Vegas or whatever other city is ready to house them.

MikeO
11-27-2005, 01:01 AM
I often wonder if the Dolphins would still be there if not for the broad national fanbase I'm a part of.

The NFL is on this kick to go "international". I would NOT be shocked one day in 5 years or 10 years to wake up and hear the Fins are moving to Mexico City or something like that. Fact is, when you can't even sell out playoff games (like vs the Ravens a few years back) that is a huge red flag being raised that says something about the city you play in.

I don't expect it, but I wouldn't be shocked by it either.

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Two things to remember. There is construction then there is "VEGAS CONSTRUCTION". They put things up overnight it seems like out there. So, IF they want to build a new stadium they could very quickly.

You might have the Marlins as a LAME DUCK team in Miami till 2008 or 2009. But they will be nothing more than the "new era Expos" who aren't competitive and are the laughing stock of MLB. Probably playing half their games in Miami and the other half in Puerto Rico until Vegas or whatever other city is ready to house them.

Regardless, it still takes at least two years to build a stadium, and then you have to convince people to go into the desert to watch the game. I already outlined the reasons why in my article, so I don't need to repeat myself. Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them.

Jimmy James
11-27-2005, 01:07 AM
The NFL is on this kick to go "international". I would NOT be shocked one day in 5 years or 10 years to wake up and hear the Fins are moving to Mexico City or something like that. Fact is, when you can't even sell out playoff games (like vs the Ravens a few years back) that is a huge red flag being raised that says something about the city you play in.

I would be amazed if Miami loses the Dolphins unless the NFL becomes willing to host Super Bowls in non-NFL cities. Miami is at worst the 3rd best place to host the game, and I would suggest it is definitely #1 now that New Orleans is a mess (San Diego is the other city I would cite in case anybody is curious). If the NFL does decide to go down that road, I agree that we could see the Dolphins move at some point if things don't improve on the attendance front.

MikeO
11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I would be amazed if Miami loses the Dolphins unless the NFL becomes willing to host Super Bowls in non-NFL cities. Miami is at worst the 3rd best place to host the game, and I would suggest it is definitely #1 now that New Orleans is a mess (San Diego is the other city I would cite in case anybody is curious). If the NFL does decide to go down that road, I agree that we could see the Dolphins move at some point if things don't improve on the attendance front.

The Super Bowl thing does work in Miami's favor and would probably prevent such a move.

MikeO
11-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Regardless, it still takes at least two years to build a stadium, and then you have to convince people to go into the desert to watch the game. I already outlined the reasons why in my article, so I don't need to repeat myself. Those are my opinions and I'm sticking to them.

And I disagree.

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 01:22 AM
And I disagree.

Fine, no problem. But I'd still like to know why.

MikeO
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Fine, no problem. But I'd still like to know why.

Because I feel the opposite of you. :shakeno:

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Because I feel the opposite of you. :shakeno:

Come on, Mike, you're better than that. Rather than resorting to your smiley and using some third-grade level retort, I want to know why you think Las Vegas is a good market for baseball in relation to my comments in the article. That's all. It's not a challenge to see who's better or smarter, I would just like to know where your opinion is based.

byroan
11-27-2005, 01:51 AM
Charlotte has the football stadium, but the closest facility is in Durham.

How big of a stadium would they need?

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AAA/charlotte.html

MikeO
11-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Come on, Mike, you're better than that. Rather than resorting to your smiley and using some third-grade level retort, I want to know why you think Las Vegas is a good market for baseball in relation to my comments in the article. That's all. It's not a challenge to see who's better or smarter, I would just like to know where your opinion is based.

Because I think people will go to the games. Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. Baseball is entertainment. Hey, Bonds is in town. Or A-Rod is in town. Vegas people will eat that sssshhhhhiiiiiiitttttt up and go to games to see a star. Not to mention GAMBLING!!!!!!!!!! People would be able to gamble on games either at the ballpark or at a casino nearby and would go to the game and see what they just bet on. Gambling RULES sports. A MLB franchise in vegas would flourish on gambling alone. (don't give me no Pete Rose thing, this is different). It would be MORE than just a baseball game. You would have a casino/hotel/stadium all in one most likely and it would be a home run!

If you don't agree, fine. I don't care if you agree. In fact if you disagree I feel more confident about my stance which really isnt' my stance it is one I have heard and talked about with people who are actually close to the situation.

Jimmy James
11-27-2005, 03:05 AM

I thought at first the issue might be seating capacity, but it appears both of the parks seat right around 10k. I cannot imagine that either could be used for a major league team for even one season without expansion to at least double that capacity, but I might be wrong about that.

finfansince72
11-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Would it be feasable to move a team to Mexico? I think MLB, the NFL would love to open that market up more. Theres a lot of things to consider but youd have to think that putting a team in Mexico City playing infront of huge crowds would be very attractive to MLB. Probaly aint gonna happen anytime soon but Id have to think within 10-15 years some major sport in the US will place a team there. Heck we might as well ship somemore jobs down there, why not?

Section126
11-27-2005, 12:23 PM

That has to be the dumbest post ever made on this forum.

Congrats.

They day the Fins move will also be the day that the Redskins, Cowboys, and Giants move.

The Dolphins are the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Yeah...lets move them to Havana....Fidel could own the team.

Seriously Mike.....you couldn't be serious.

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM

They're not going to play in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

RWhitney014
11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Would it be feasable to move a team to Mexico? I think MLB, the NFL would love to open that market up more. Theres a lot of things to consider but youd have to think that putting a team in Mexico City playing infront of huge crowds would be very attractive to MLB. Probaly aint gonna happen anytime soon but Id have to think within 10-15 years some major sport in the US will place a team there. Heck we might as well ship somemore jobs down there, why not?

I don't think the players would like it too much, and the money factor would definitely be a concern.

Section126
11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Because I think people will go to the games. Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. Baseball is entertainment. Hey, Bonds is in town. Or A-Rod is in town. Vegas people will eat that sssshhhhhiiiiiiitttttt up and go to games to see a star. Not to mention GAMBLING!!!!!!!!!! People would be able to gamble on games either at the ballpark or at a casino nearby and would go to the game and see what they just bet on. Gambling RULES sports. A MLB franchise in vegas would flourish on gambling alone. (don't give me no Pete Rose thing, this is different). It would be MORE than just a baseball game. You would have a casino/hotel/stadium all in one most likely and it would be a home run!

If you don't agree, fine. I don't care if you agree. In fact if you disagree I feel more confident about my stance which really isnt' my stance it is one I have heard and talked about with people who are actually close to the situation.

Mike....you are on a roll.

If baseball went to las Vegas......Not a single casino would have a line on a "Las vegas marlins" game.....NOT A ONE. Go look up why.

Not to mention....you saying that there would be gambling at the stadium is just downright high comedy.

Yeah...mlb will go for that.

Ray Finkle
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM

I don't think it's possible because Mexico is pretty much a poor country. I don't see how a football or baseball team can expect 60,000 people pay 35 to 40 bucks per ticket to see a game, not to mention buying food, beer and t-shirts there.

Ray Finkle
11-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Yes Bonds being in Vegas or Arod would draw that's why the Yankees and Giants are 2 of the best draws in baseball. When the Giants, Yankees or Red Sox go anywhere on the road they draw. Hell I bet there will be over 50,000 in Miami when the Sox play the Marlins in June. When the Yankees come to KC there attendance nearly doubles. The problem would be when the Pirates or Royals come to town then what? The team in Vegas still won't draw. Do you think average American John Smith staying at Cesar's Palace will say to his wife: "Hey honey Mike Sweeney or Freddy Sanchez are in town let's go to a game instead of a nice romantic evening and to see a show instead." I think not.

Only big fans of baseball or sport fans would go to games. It wouldn't draw as well as you think it would. The average person isn't going to go to a baseball game just because it's there (sure someone like you or I would jump at the chance but I'm talking about the average person who goes to Las Vegas). There's so much more to do in Vegas and a lot more options. Plus does an average person want to waste 3 to 4 hours at the ball park during the day or night? Especially seeing a team and players that they might not really care about?

byroan
11-28-2005, 01:27 AM
They're not going to play in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

Um..ok. It might as well be called Charlotte. The team that plays there is the Charlotte Knights. Of course they'd have less fans here then they do in Miami (if that's even possible).

But I'm glad you make the decisions for them.

phunwin
11-28-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't think it's possible because Mexico is pretty much a poor country. I don't see how a football or baseball team can expect 60,000 people pay 35 to 40 bucks per ticket to see a game, not to mention buying food, beer and t-shirts there.

True, but from what I've heard (and mind you, I've done not a speck of research on my own), Monterrey is fairly well off and might have the money and population base to support a MLB team. With the lack of really good American markets right now, it has to be taken seriously.

Mexico City is obviously big enough, but it's dirt poor. Plus, the few baseball purists remaining would howl over the fact that the city is roughly 7000 feet above sea level and the ball would carry far more than Coors Field. Hell, they might as well play in Williamsport, PA if they're going to do that.

However, I've got to say I'd enjoy the sight of some fat *** like David Wells huffing and puffing from the thin air and pollution so thick you can see it. He might not last through three innings.

There's another aspect to a Mexican team that might be inviting. That team would instantly become the team for all of Mexico and probably all of Latin America that has access to MLB viewing. What they'd lack in wealthy, upper crust fans they'd make up in number. If MLB could market some cheaper "Monterrey Banditos" or whatever (as with Las Vegas, "Marlins" makes no sense at all for a team in Monterrey) merchandise south of the border, they could be onto a goldmine. With any success at all and even marginally competent marketing, they could be more popular than the Yankees in terms of size of fanbase.

Then again, I thought the large Hispanic population of South Florida would make a Miami franchise a goldmine. So what do I know?

Ray Finkle
11-28-2005, 11:33 AM
True, but from what I've heard (and mind you, I've done not a speck of research on my own), Monterrey is fairly well off and might have the money and population base to support a MLB team. With the lack of really good American markets right now, it has to be taken seriously.

Mexico City is obviously big enough, but it's dirt poor. Plus, the few baseball purists remaining would howl over the fact that the city is roughly 7000 feet above sea level and the ball would carry far more than Coors Field. Hell, they might as well play in Williamsport, PA if they're going to do that.

However, I've got to say I'd enjoy the sight of some fat *** like David Wells huffing and puffing from the thin air and pollution so thick you can see it. He might not last through three innings.

There's another aspect to a Mexican team that might be inviting. That team would instantly become the team for all of Mexico and probably all of Latin America that has access to MLB viewing. What they'd lack in wealthy, upper crust fans they'd make up in number. If MLB could market some cheaper "Monterrey Banditos" or whatever (as with Las Vegas, "Marlins" makes no sense at all for a team in Monterrey) merchandise south of the border, they could be onto a goldmine. With any success at all and even marginally competent marketing, they could be more popular than the Yankees in terms of size of fanbase.

Then again, I thought the large Hispanic population of South Florida would make a Miami franchise a goldmine. So what do I know?

I agree with you about how a Mexican team would instantly become the team of all Latin America and also that having a team there would get more Latino kids into the game.

I wasn't aware that Monterrey is wealthy though that might be a place to consider. I'm sure the Latino players would love playing in Mexico. I still don't think that MLB would be able to get 50,000 people to see a game 81 times a year or even get a team down there that would be profitable due to the total lack of wealth in Mexico however like you I didn't do any research and I'm totally guessing on that.

Also the MLB would have to consider the health of the players. Although it's a small issue the water, food and air isn't good if you're not used to it. It's funny that you mention David Wells, I'm not sure you read his book but if you didn't there's a whole chapter about how he played in Mexico for the winter and got very sick from the food, water and air. He quit after a few weeks and was one of the reasons why the Blue Jays traded him (according to him anyway).

phunwin
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Here's an interesting bit of info on Monterrey and it's possible viability...http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/bzm/bzmmonterreyreport.html

It may very well have the population (3.5M) and corporate presence necessary to make things work. If the team owners were willing to have a two-tiered pricing system, that could really work. It sounds like there's enough wealth and corporate presence in the area to make the usual high-priced seats work, but they could sell the outfield and upper deck seats at a steeper-than-usual discount. Teams should do this anyway, but particularly here, where a team in Monterrey would certainly be playing in the city with the lowest per capita income in MLB by a good margin.

MikeO
12-03-2005, 02:00 AM
San Antonio is the new city popping up. Loria loves it there for some reason and it is at the top of his list.

The Texas Rangers would protest, but hell the Orioles protested the Nationals and it didnt help any.

Vegas, SA, and Portland are the 3 top candidates at this point.

Dudeman
12-03-2005, 11:14 AM
San Antonio is the new city popping up. Loria loves it there for some reason and it is at the top of his list.

The Texas Rangers would protest, but hell the Orioles protested the Nationals and it didnt help any.

Vegas, SA, and Portland are the 3 top candidates at this point.

Thats because Angelos was given a ticket guarantee.

The MLB said that they would come to a compromise in the amount of money from tickets sold, and if the O's don't reach that #, then MLB would pay Angelos the difference.

Dont think Angelos didnt come out with something

MikeO
12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Thats because Angelos was given a ticket guarantee.

The MLB said that they would come to a compromise in the amount of money from tickets sold, and if the O's don't reach that #, then MLB would pay Angelos the difference.

Dont think Angelos didnt come out with something

If SA is the only viable option for the Marlins, then the Rangers might get a similar deal then.