PDA

View Full Version : 360 minus Blu-Ray = Limitations

AquaInferno
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
No one around here seems to know jack about Blu-Ray, the 360 looks nice now but anyone know the size of a DVD? 4.7 GB, 8.4 GB if it's dual layered. Yea 4.7 GB is a lot ok ok I agree. How about somewhere like 50 GB? Imagine the movies, the sound effects, the extra bonuses. With ALL THAT EXTRA SPACE! The PS3 will be using Blu-Ray. Movie companies will be experimenting with Blu-Ray just like they did with DVD. Putting on more stuff for you to watch. Now you wanna watch Blu-Ray but if you got a 360 you'll be buying a Blu-Ray player. If you go with PS3 you won't be buying anything other than a remote :D

Blu-Ray in my opinion is going to be the next industry standard. Ever since things were put onto CD type media tech companies have been comin up with new ways to cram more onto a single disc. Blu-Ray games will blow you away.

I'm not anti-360 I'm just pro PS3!

ether79
11-23-2005, 08:25 PM
No one around here seems to know jack about Blu-Ray, the 360 looks nice now but anyone know the size of a DVD? 4.7 GB, 8.4 GB if it's dual layered. Yea 4.7 GB is a lot ok ok I agree. How about somewhere like 50 GB? Imagine the movies, the sound effects, the extra bonuses. With ALL THAT EXTRA SPACE! The PS3 will be using Blu-Ray. Movie companies will be experimenting with Blu-Ray just like they did with DVD. Putting on more stuff for you to watch. Now you wanna watch Blu-Ray but if you got a 360 you'll be buying a Blu-Ray player. If you go with PS3 you won't be buying anything other than a remote :D

Blu-Ray in my opinion is going to be the next industry standard. Ever since things were put onto CD type media tech companies have been comin up with new ways to cram more onto a single disc. Blu-Ray games will blow you away.

I'm not anti-360 I'm just pro PS3!

Sony always sets the standards..btw they already have put in the equipment line to start producing PS3 games at DADC here in Terre Haute...some of my friends who work there are pretty hype about when the production line will start.

Miami 13
11-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah Blu-Ray discs will be incredible.

nevadadolfan
11-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Thats right in YOUR OPINION blu-ray will be the industry standard. Its still up in the air. ITs to early to tell which way its gonna go, I like the idea of blu-ray, but I dont think developers can even fill half that disk, but it is nice to have the space. Xbox games right now are only using half the 9GB DVD capacity, and with the 360 Microsoft has reduced the size of the data that is required to be on each disc by a few hundred megabytes, combine that with the fact that larger game data can be compressed further thanks to more powerful hardware, so game developers shouldn't run into capacity limitations on Xbox 360 discs anytime soon. So the whole debate on disk limitation debate is not that big of a deal. Im not anti ps3, im anti sony!!! I like my Phillips electronics!!!

ether79
11-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Thats right in YOUR OPINION blu-ray will be the industry standard. Its still up in the air. ITs to early to tell which way its gonna go, I like the idea of blu-ray, but I dont think developers can even fill half that disk, but it is nice to have the space. Xbox games right now are only using half the 9GB DVD capacity, and with the 360 Microsoft has reduced the size of the data that is required to be on each disc by a few hundred megabytes, combine that with the fact that larger game data can be compressed further thanks to more powerful hardware, so game developers shouldn't run into capacity limitations on Xbox 360 discs anytime soon. So the whole debate on disk limitation debate is not that big of a deal. Im not anti ps3, im anti sony!!! I like my Phillips electronics!!!
:down:

J/K Sony employs a lot of people in my area, one of the only good union jobs left. So me I'm pro Sony.:D

nevadadolfan
11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Ether:

Thats good that Sony employs some people in your city,Microsoft is an AMERICAN company and employs alot more americans that Sony. So im pro Microsoft Xbox

ether79
11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Ether:

Thats good that Sony employs some people in your city,Microsoft is an AMERICAN company and employs alot more americans that Sony. So im pro Microsoft Xbox

Sure agree there, but until MS opens up a facility here gotta support Sony. ;)
No anywayjust messing around I've got the 360 and am very , very impressed with it so far(only having Madden) but will still buy the PS3 and more games for the system also.

nevadadolfan
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah I hear ya, I only order from amazon.com because they have a HUGE warehouse near here and I know alot of people that work there, and they all rave about how cool it is.

A Wing Pilot
11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
blu-ray is not a standard (yet) so no decision is to be made and once a standard is chosen xbox will come out with a upgrade as per J allards speech this last october. And sony sits on a board that votes and decides on standards, they don't just choose they present just like the others and te best technology wins.

Now the prick in me has to ask hows that performance on that blue ray disc your playing.. oh wait your still waiting on a box that hasn't even made final prototype releases.

AquaInferno
11-23-2005, 11:44 PM

Even Phillips is on board...

http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Welcome my Phillips friend to Blu-Ray :D

With names like this backing up a new media, I got a lotta confidence in it's success.

With the PS3 being able to play games AND play Blu-Rays for a speculated $100 more then I think that advantage is worth it alone. Plus being able to play virtually all PS2 AND PS1 games... M$ has Billy Gates backin em, that's their biggest advantage I think. All that money he's got..

AquaInferno
11-23-2005, 11:50 PM
blu-ray is not a standard (yet) so no decision is to be made and once a standard is chosen xbox will come out with a upgrade as per J allards speech this last october. And sony sits on a board that votes and decides on standards, they don't just choose they present just like the others and te best technology wins.

Now the prick in me has to ask hows that performance on that blue ray disc your playing.. oh wait your still waiting on a box that hasn't even made final prototype releases.

Actually I'm playing games on my PS2 and ok with it. Couldn't afford the 360 now, I'm pro Metal Gear Solid 4, which stole some shine from the 360, I got a link: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154

I can't get both consoles, but I love Sony style games more, when I had an XBox I played a ton of games I coulda easily gotten on PS2. Minus Halo 2 of course, which was fun. But still and all, I enjoy my PS2 way more than I ever did my XBox, it's just my taste in games. So I back em up.

ether79
11-23-2005, 11:52 PM

:lol: the prick in me says good things come to those who wait.

nevadadolfan
11-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey aquainferno, I know that that phillips is onboard, Sony and Phillips have been long time partners when it comes to these things, heck they got together and brought us the CD!!! I just like phillips better than sony in the electronics department. But I also like Xbox better than Playstation thats all. If blu-ray is the future of disk media that doesnt mean the end of the 360.

Deus Ex Dolphin
11-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Sony always sets the standards..btw they already have put in the equipment line to start producing PS3 games at DADC here in Terre Haute...some of my friends who work there are pretty hype about when the production line will start.

So true, Sony sets the standards, like how they backed Betamax tapes over VHS back in the early 80s... uh....

Okay, how about how Sony ignored the Ipod and MP3 format in favor of its own music format? Anyone even remember what that was called???

Blu-ray versus HD-DVD looks to be a nasty, expensive mess that will confuse consumers. Should we wait and see how it turns out?

As for games on the 360? At worst there will need to be games with two disks instead of just one. I played lots of those on my old PSX and Dreamcast, so is it REALLY that big of a deal?

I don't trust Sony to come through with all the promises about what the PS3 is supposed to be able to do. They NEVER came out with that web browser for the PS2, or used the hard drive for much of anything.

I bet Sony won't have a PS3 launch this Spring either, even just in Japan. Despite what they promise right now. Any wonder that I can't/won't trust what Sony says?

ohall
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
So true, Sony sets the standards, like how they backed Betamax tapes over VHS back in the early 80s... uh....

Okay, how about how Sony ignored the Ipod and MP3 format in favor of its own music format? Anyone even remember what that was called???

Blu-ray versus HD-DVD looks to be a nasty, expensive mess that will confuse consumers. Should we wait and see how it turns out?

As for games on the 360? At worst there will need to be games with two disks instead of just one. I played lots of those on my old PSX and Dreamcast, so is it REALLY that big of a deal?

I don't trust Sony to come through with all the promises about what the PS3 is supposed to be able to do. They NEVER came out with that web browser for the PS2, or used the hard drive for much of anything.

I bet Sony won't have a PS3 launch this Spring either, even just in Japan. Despite what they promise right now. Any wonder that I can't/won't trust what Sony says?

Sony never ships what they promise, they never have.

I suspect the earliest that PS3 will be sold in America will be next X-Mas and I seriously doubt their hardware will be that much better than what XBOX 360 has in it. 360 is one impressive gaming system.

Agent51
11-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Sure agree there, but until MS opens up a facility here gotta support Sony. ;)
No anywayjust messing around I've got the 360 and am very , very impressed with it so far(only having Madden) but will still buy the PS3 and more games for the system also.

Dude, I don't know if your into racing games, but when it comes out you should buy, or rent, Test Drive Unlimited. Supposedly its real-world mapped, like the True Crime games, so you could litterally use it as a map. The cool thing about this game is it's mapped to the island of Oahu in Hawai'i. I don't have a 360 yet, prolly not going to get one before my PS3, but I'm curious to see if it's as accurately mapped as the True Crime gets that have every single little street. I'm so interested because I live on Oahu for almost half of the year and I'd love to have a video game that is an accurate portrayal of the island so I can cruise it when I'm not there, lol. The graphics look AMAZING too: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747892/imgs_2.html

outlawd2u
11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
The only thing Blue Ray seems to be usefull AT ALL is with the games. Why the hell do you need all that extra space for a movie??? Unless they are going to put 5 Movies on one disc all that extra space is useless, and will just cost you more money. Now with Games it would be AWESOME as they could make the Graphics OUTSTANDING, and stil make the game very very long. Oh, I guess Blue Ray woud be good for home movies too(you could fit your whole life on one disc)but I'm thinking it would be quite some time before they make affordable Blue Ray burners

outlawd2u
11-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Dude, I don't know if your into racing games, but when it comes out you should buy, or rent, Test Drive Unlimited. Supposedly its real-world mapped, like the True Crime games, so you could litterally use it as a map. The cool thing about this game is it's mapped to the island of Oahu in Hawai'i. I don't have a 360 yet, prolly not going to get one before my PS3, but I'm curious to see if it's as accurately mapped as the True Crime gets that have every single little street. I'm so interested because I live on Oahu for almost half of the year and I'd love to have a video game that is an accurate portrayal of the island so I can cruise it when I'm not there, lol. The graphics look AMAZING too: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747892/imgs_2.html

Very Interesting, I lived on Oahu for 3 years, it'd be neat if I could find my old house/street in a video game

AquaInferno
11-25-2005, 02:19 PM
The only thing Blue Ray seems to be usefull AT ALL is with the games. Why the hell do you need all that extra space for a movie??? Unless they are going to put 5 Movies on one disc all that extra space is useless, and will just cost you more money. Now with Games it would be AWESOME as they could make the Graphics OUTSTANDING, and stil make the game very very long. Oh, I guess Blue Ray woud be good for home movies too(you could fit your whole life on one disc)but I'm thinking it would be quite some time before they make affordable Blue Ray burners

And that is why Blu-Ray has such great potential, even a multidisc 360 DVD game couldn't come CLOSE to Blu-Ray's capacity. As for movies well how about those IRRITATING double sided DVDs that get scratched on both sides? Well they ould fit on one side of a Blu-Ray disc. How about those Star wars movies most people freak over... The special features would seem infinite. Or what about having more movies be availible in cut and nucut versions on one disc. The focus on getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray should be for games, and having a movie player for them should come 2nd. Because most probably won't think about it for movies until the Blu-Ray format is out there.

Slappy8800
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
ok so im all for blue ray..question is..ho much is it going to drive upcost? i beleive you can buy a blu ray DVD player now for abput 6K from japan....

Predaphin
11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Im all for blu-ray discs as well....whatever makes the PS3 better...cause that's what i'm waiting for

Amars
11-30-2005, 12:59 AM
I remember when when 16 bit NES was so simple. I had to blow in the damn cartridge to get it to work

AquaInferno
11-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I remember when when 16 bit NES was so simple. I had to blow in the damn cartridge to get it to work

Cartridges suck, cds are better. Just ask Nintendo when they backed out of the CD add on for the SNES developed by Sony: The add ons name? Playstation :lol:

Joe Flipper
12-12-2005, 12:33 AM
XBOX 360 ROCKS...

SONY WHO ?
c ya next x-mas :rofl3: