PDA

View Full Version : Gun

Agent51
11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
This game is AWESOME. I rented the XBox version because the PS2 version was out, but I have read that it looks best, surprisingly, on the PS2 (that is including the PC too, not sure how PS2 beat out XBox and PC in graphics). Ayway, the game is so fun, and very addicting. You are basically a fur trapper in the wild west and your "father" gets killed and then gives you a coin right before he dies and you basically go on an adventure to unravel this pretty good story. The gameplay is great, graphics are good too. It's like GTA in the wild west, but not exactly. Actually, its more like the True Crime series set in the wild west. There is a story to follow but you can also free roam and do things like play poker for money, mine for gold, kill people/animals, steal/ride horses etc etc. There are a bunch of great "side" missions too. They aren't neccessary to complete the story but they DO give you $ and skill points, which come in handy to buy things like weapon upgrades, tools (you need to buy a pick-axe to mine gold) and improved shooting, melee, "quickdraw", and horse skills. he Quickdraw feature is pretty cool. It's like bullet-time but well done, it doesn't feel generic like every other game since max payne has. Basically you hit Y (or triangle on PS2) and it draws your revolver (or two if you have the dual wield ones) and everything is slowed down. It comes in handy when a bunch of guys are around because after you shoot one guy you flick the left stick and it autp-targets the next, very handy. Some of the side missions are:

Work for the Sheriff/Federal Marshall: You have to basically keep order in the town your in while the sheri/marshall is out, or you have to help them keep order. This can be anything from rescuing hostages to stopping a gang fight to stoppig a robbery etc etc.

"Wanted Posters": These are hanging up everywhere and you walk up and read it and it tells you the guy(s) name(s) and how much they are worth dead and how much they are worth alive then you go hunt em down

Poker: You enter tourneys of Texas Hold 'Em. It is cool because you can "cheat" by slipping a card in your sleeve and so basically you see the community cards, your 2 cards, and the card you are hiding and then at any point you can click "cheat" and it'll switch the card out with one in your hand, so now ur hiding the switched out card, it's awesome.

Pony Express: These are "deliver this from point A to point B in X amount of time" missions, but on horses and through indian and bandit territory.

Hunting: You find an indian guy and he tells you a certain animal that is kinda hard to find. Like you'll see buffalo and cyotes and stuff roaming around all the time but he'll tell you to find the WHITE cyote of the WHITE buffalo and there is only one. He gives you a general idea of where to find it then you have to stalk it. You also have to kill it with a bow and arrow. you CAN kill it with a gun but you get like $5 cuz it "ruins the hide/furs".

They story is pretty good too, and the game is pretty gory, more gory than I would have every expected from the makers of the Tony Hawk series (activision). There is lots of blood, headhsots blow off heads (in much better detail than GTA), high power guns can dismember people. Shoot someone's leg with a rifle, boom, it's gone. Shot someone with a dynamite arrow and they explode and you'll find a torso with maybe one arm attatched and some legs and stuff scattered around. You can slit throats, you can SCALP people. Yes, SCALP, lol. You have to buy a scalping knife first but its cool, if you shoot someone and they are out of the fight but not dead you can walk up and just scalp em, and they scream and there's blood and its awesome.

Overall the game is very very fun. There is just one major problem. It's SHORT. It's about 6-8hrs total story time (NOT counting the side missions, which add much more time). Since it is so short I suggest just renting like I did so you aren't stuck with a $50 game that you beat in a day or 2. The replay value isn't that high since it isn't like GTA where the world is full of people to kill etc etc. There are 2 major towns that have people, plus a few bandits roam the plains, and indian camps, but its all spread out, it IS the wild west after all, so its not a densly populated city to go on crazy kill sprees in. That fact alone is what makes this a must rent, not a must own. Other than the shortness, this game, IMHO, is perfect.

ffphin
11-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah it was a great game but I thought it was a little to short. I was hoping it would last a little longer. And the story of the game was really good and they actually had astors doing the voices. So I can see this as a movie in the next 2 years.
GOOD GAME

Motion
11-29-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a copy on the way from Gamefly

HugeFinFan
11-29-2005, 11:16 AM
I played this game at a friends house for a few minutes, I ended up shooting a dog with a shotgun :lol:

Predaphin
11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
gonna look into this game

Agent51
11-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I played this game at a friends house for a few minutes, I ended up shooting a dog with a shotgun :lol:

Dude after I beat it I did crazy stuff. I shot a dynamite arrow at a horse's leg so it ran with an arrow in its leg til it blew up, making the horse flip over frontwards in mid stride in a pool of blood, lol. It is such a great game, too bad it was so damn short because if there were a lot more/caried side mission/a longer story I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

usf dolfan23
12-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Wow I looked over a whole bunch of copies of this game at blockbuster and rented Indigo Prophecy instead. What a mistake that was. Guess I should have picked up this game instead.

Predaphin
12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
My cousin bought this game, I still haven't played it, yet he phoned me up to tell me it was a good game.

Joe Flipper
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
yeah 51 !....GUN is a great game !....i just started playin :)

Agent51
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
yeah 51 !....GUN is a great game !....i just started playin :)

Have ya finished yet, cuz it's super short, lol.

Joe Flipper
12-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Have ya finished yet, cuz it's super short, lol.

THATS what i hear...i just started it....