PDA

View Full Version : Wagner a Met! Sorry Roman!

NJFINSFAN1
11-28-2005, 09:09 PM
YAHOOOOO

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5117698

Sorry roman he wants to play for a winner:rolleyes:

Next piece of the puzzle?

I also found this interesting!

The Mets continue to be active on other fronts as well. They are one of four teams competing for free-agent catcher Ramon Hernandez, who worked previously with Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson in Oakland. They also are showing interest in free-agent Juan Encarnacion, who could be their right fielder in the event that they do not go for the Red Sox's Manny Ramirez.

MikeO
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
anyone have an update on the Mets payroll?

Just curious.

NJFINSFAN1
11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
anyone have an update on the Mets payroll?

Just curious.

Not as much as your Yanks! YET!;)

MikeO
11-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Not as much as your Yanks! YET!;)

Im just curious if they have passed Boston yet.

Im sure the Manny trade will put them past Boston though..:lol:

NJFINSFAN1
11-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Not sure. I thought I saw someplace if they signed Wagner, Molina or Hernandez and traded for Manny (With Sox's paying some) it would be around 110 to 120 mil. But Again, I'm not sure.

Section126
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Can you say.......Contender?

finfansince72
11-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Cmon this is the Mets, these moves just mean that they will finish in 3rd instead of last place in the division.

RWhitney014
11-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Payroll is going through the roof, Mike. These moves better work out for the Mets or they're going to be in salary hell. These contracts are going to be unmovable in the case that they want to, and they've traded away their top two pitching prospects in the past few years. Hope it doesn't work because I hate the Mets, but this is going to be feast or famine for them.

NJFINSFAN1
11-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Cmon this is the Mets, these moves just mean that they will finish in 3rd instead of last place in the division.

:shakeno: We finished third last year!

finfansince72
11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
:shakeno: We finished third last year!

Yea but I had you finishing last this year prior to the Wagner/Delgado moves. :D

Ray Finkle
11-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Im just curious if they have passed Boston yet.

Im sure the Manny trade will put them past Boston though..:lol:

I'm sure that once the season starts the Mets will have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. Remember they still want to add a FA catcher and also either Manny or Soriano. Plus I'm sure they would still like to add another bullpen arm maybe a high profiled set up man like Gordon.

Ray Finkle
11-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Payroll is going through the roof, Mike. These moves better work out for the Mets or they're going to be in salary hell. These contracts are going to be unmovable in the case that they want to, and they've traded away their top two pitching prospects in the past few years. Hope it doesn't work because I hate the Mets, but this is going to be feast or famine for them.

I agree I'm sure Omar is hoping that the Mets win it within the next 2 years because once Pedro is gone the team will be shot pitching wise unless it can again sign some top notch FAs pitchers. At least they'll still have the core of their line up there with Wright, Reyes and Beltran. But in my opinion the Mets have to make it to the World Series next year or in 2007 or they will be a laughing stock around the league.

finfansince72
11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
I agree I'm sure Omar is hoping that the Mets win it within the next 2 years because once Pedro is gone the team will be shot pitching wise unless it can again sign some top notch FAs pitchers. At least they'll still have the core of their line up there with Wright, Reyes and Beltran. But in my opinion the Mets have to make it to the World Series next year or in 2007 or they will be a laughing stock around the league.

They're not already the laughing stock of the league? Well I guess the Dodgers are right up there but cmon this team keeps throwing more cash on the fire and the fire just keeps getting higher.

Jimmy James
11-29-2005, 01:14 AM
I have always been fond of Wagner (he went to my high school). I hope he picked a winner.

Roman529
11-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Ohhh man, I think I am gonna be sick. First Delgado and then you have to take away Wagner from us. :cry: :( But it's ok....our new GM has a few tricks up his sleave and we got rid of an old slow Jim Thome at first and brought in Rowand who is a fantastic glove in CF and a decent bat......Phils finish first in the NL East next year, followed by the Braves, and then Mets or Marlins for the crumbs.

dob72
11-29-2005, 08:16 AM
guess the mets fans can't talk sh1t about the yanks payroll anymore

phunwin
11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Woo-hoo!!!

I'm not exactly thrilled about guaranteeing a 4th year for Wagner, but I guess that's just the cost of doing business (thanks a bunch, JP Ricciardi). Things are looking good in Flushing!

NJFINSFAN1
11-29-2005, 08:50 AM

Also remember they are starting there own TV network. Bringing in these players sells the station and brings in more money!

MikeO
11-29-2005, 10:21 AM
guess the mets fans can't talk sh1t about the yanks payroll anymore

1) nobody should EVER talk crap about the Yanks payroll. If the Yanks don't win it all, who cares how much they spend! :shakeno:

2) This is AMERICA and free enterprise. If you can't afford a team or a competitive payroll, then sell your team and don't be an owner!

MikeO
11-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Also remember they are starting there own TV network. Bringing in these players sells the station and brings in more money!

Money is NO LONGER AN ISSUE for the Mets. The TV Network is paying for all of this.

dob72
11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
1) nobody should EVER talk crap about the Yanks payroll. If the Yanks don't win it all, who cares how much they spend! :shakeno:

cuz its funny when they have the biggest payroll in sports history and then lose

MikeO
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
cuz its funny when they have the biggest payroll in sports history and then lose

OK, going to the playoffs isn't considered "losing". :shakeno:

Not making the playoffs, ok that is one thing. Winning the division for 8 straight years. Winning 4 world series in that time, isn't losing!

You demand perfection............that will never happen in ANY sport. Making the playoffs every year being in World Series after World Series, or ALCS after ALCS.....heck you are bound to lose some! The fact they are THERE doesn't mean they are "losing". :shakeno:

If they spent $180 mill and failed to make the playoffs or finishing in 3rd in athe AL East, that is losing. They aren't doing that.

dob72
11-29-2005, 11:38 AM
OK, going to the playoffs isn't considered "losing". :shakeno:

Not making the playoffs, ok that is one thing. Winning the division for 8 straight years. Winning 4 world series in that time, isn't losing!

You demand perfection............that will never happen in ANY sport. Making the playoffs every year being in World Series after World Series, or ALCS after ALCS.....heck you are bound to lose some! The fact they are THERE doesn't mean they are "losing". :shakeno:

If they spent $180 mill and failed to make the playoffs or finishing in 3rd in athe AL East, that is losing. They aren't doing that.
yeah i'm sure george is happy with that if u have the highest payroll in sports history there's only one goal and they didn't accomplish it so they lost

dob72
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
geroge dosen't pay the largest payroll in all of sports history to win the division

Ray Finkle
11-29-2005, 01:54 PM

Oh I know why they're doing this, and I don't blame them. Especially considering how weak the NL East is going to be next year. Right now they have to be the favorites to win it.

inFINSible
11-29-2005, 02:13 PM
I can see it now....Mets and Red Sox in the 2006 world series....The 20 year rematch!!.....Buckner throwing out the first pitch in game 7.......:drool:

FaninPatsyLand
11-29-2005, 02:19 PM
I can see it now....Mets and Red Sox in the 2006 world series....The 20 year rematch!!.....Buckner throwing out the first pitch in game 7.......:drool:

:lol:

Pedro on the mound at Fenway for Game 1. (Assuming of course that the AL wins the All-Star game)

GreenMonster
11-29-2005, 02:29 PM
:lol:

Pedro on the mound at Fenway for Game 1. (Assuming of course that the AL wins the All-Star game)

Mets get to World Series when Grady Little leaves in Weaver and refuses to bring in Gagne..

FaninPatsyLand
11-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Mets get to World Series when Grady Little leaves in Weaver and refuses to bring in Gagne..

:rofl3:

Poor Grady, the guy ****** up, no doubt about it. I just don't feel like he was completely at fault. Our bullpen sucked badly in 2003. Swilly had electric stuff, but he was downright terrible in the Oakland series, to the point where we needed Lowe to come in and shut the door during Game 5 after he walked the bases loaded. Granted the rest of the pen pitched extremely well throughout the first 11 games of the postseason.

I'm just saying I can understand why he was hesistant to take Pedro out (who was clearly losing it) in favor of the pen.

Ray Finkle
11-29-2005, 02:47 PM
:rofl3:

Poor Grady, the guy ****** up, no doubt about it. I just don't feel like he was completely at fault. Our bullpen sucked badly in 2003. Swilly had electric stuff, but he was downright terrible in the Oakland series, to the point where we needed Lowe to come in and shut the door during Game 5 after he walked the bases loaded. Granted the rest of the pen pitched extremely well throughout the first 11 games of the postseason.

I'm just saying I can understand why he was hesistant to take Pedro out (who was clearly losing it) in favor of the pen.

I know you and I had major discussions about Grady Little but he was totally at fault in Game 7. Yes the bullpen sucked much of 2003 however in the playoffs Timlin, Embree and Williamson were UNTOUCHABLE. I have showed you their numbers many times. There was no way he should have left Pedro in, Pedro didn't have anything left. It was obvious. If Grady brought in Williamson, Timlin or Embree and they blew the game I wouldn't have killed Little for it. I do kill Little for leaving Pedro in though.

Scott Williamson wasn't terrible in the Oakland series, he was wild and walked a lot of guys but was unhittable. He did however settle down big time in the Yankee series, no reason not to trust him or Timlin in a big spot. Also how could Little leave Pedro in to face Matsui with Embree warm in the pen?

Also before anything says that Little shouldn't have gotten fired for 1 game, it just wasn't one game. Please if you didn't watch the Red Sox at all in 2002 or 2003 you wouldn't be aware of all the bone head moves this guy made. He was great for the clubhouse but when it came to an in game decision the guy was as useful as a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest.

Roman529
11-29-2005, 03:57 PM
I almost became a NY Muts fan back when I was 9 years old and living in Wildwood, New Jersey...the Muts had Felix Milan at 2nd base, and Tom Seaver on the mound, but then I saw Mike Schmidt, Greg Luzinski, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone and Steve Carlton play and I have been a Phils' fan for life.
Mets are getting a Yankees payroll, but will this help? Nahhhhh. Mets gotta work on their D, starting pitchers, need a 1st baseman too. :lol: I like Wright at 3rd though...wish we could have gotten him after losing Rolen. Can't wait for baseball, even though I am stuck watching the Rockies here in Colorado. :(

NJFINSFAN1
11-29-2005, 04:02 PM
I almost became a NY Muts fan back when I was 9 years old and living in Wildwood, New Jersey...the Muts had Felix Milan at 2nd base, and Tom Seaver on the mound, but then I saw Mike Schmidt, Greg Luzinski, Larry Bowa, Bob Boone and Steve Carlton play and I have been a Phils' fan for life.
Mets are getting a Yankees payroll, but will this help? Nahhhhh. Mets gotta work on their D, starting pitchers, need a 1st baseman too. :lol: I like Wright at 3rd though...wish we could have gotten him after losing Rolen. Can't wait for baseball, even though I am stuck watching the Rockies here in Colorado. :(

Wildwood!!!!!:lol: Been there many a time!

Come home to a winner, pick the Mets in 06!!!:rolleyes:

Just rented a big ford expedition for my trip from Denver to Crested Butte in Feb!;)

FaninPatsyLand
11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Yes the bullpen sucked much of 2003 however in the playoffs Timlin, Embree and Williamson were UNTOUCHABLE. I have showed you their numbers many times.

Scott Williamson wasn't terrible in the Oakland series, he was wild and walked a lot of guys but was unhittable.

Yup, you are right the bullpen did suck badly for almost all of the regular season. If you go back and read my post, I mentioned that the pen pitched much more effectively in the 11 postseason games prior to Game 7 than they did for any period of the regular season.

Also, if you go back to my post, I admitted that Grady ****** up. I was actually one of those people who hated the decisions he was making prior to the postseason. However, I can't blame the guy for being hesitant to bring in the pen in that situation.

Yes Swilly was unhittable, mainly because he has serious control issues. The guy SUCKED in the Oakland series and if it wasn't for Lowe we would have lost Game 5 of the ALDS.

Again, I probably would have brought in Embree or Timlin considering how well they pitched in the postseason (seriously though, wouldn't you think twice about bringing either of these guys into a spot like that after watching them get laced on a nightly basis for 6 straight months?), but you can bet it would be a cold day in hell before I EVER called for the right arm of Scott Williamson in that situation.

EDIT: Sorry Met fans, you can have back your thread now.

NJFINSFAN1
11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Glavine just had his biggest win of his met career! Wagner said Glavine's wife took his wife around New York and shopping. Wagners wife was very nervous about NY before this.

He also said Madison ave helped, and she helped Madison Ave!

Roman529
11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Wildwood!!!!!:lol: Been there many a time!

Come home to a winner, pick the Mets in 06!!!:rolleyes:

Just rented a big ford expedition for my trip from Denver to Crested Butte in Feb!;)

Yep Wildwood, New Jersey....I just moved back to the United States from Europe in the mid-70s, and I loved the boardwalk there. I was eating cotton candy and water taffy like crazy. Man those were great memories. :)

I just don't want to see the Braves win it again, but the Braves lost their pitching coach (Leo Mazzoni) so I think they are done....Smoltz can't do it forever....but they have a lot of good young players. The Phils are not through dealing...I got an e-mail from their new GM and there are several possible deals in the works. Are you renting your Expedition at DIA....it's a long way to Crested Butte from there.

PressCoverage
11-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Money is NO LONGER AN ISSUE for the Mets. The TV Network is paying for all of this.

that's kinda like the Yankees with their own TV network cash flow... huh?

PressCoverage
11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
signing these 34-year-olds always seems like a Series clincher in November/December... then come April, the Mets remember they're the Mets

NJFINSFAN1
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Yep Wildwood, New Jersey....I just moved back to the United States from Europe in the mid-70s, and I loved the boardwalk there. I was eating cotton candy and water taffy like crazy. Man those were great memories. :)

I just don't want to see the Braves win it again, but the Braves lost their pitching coach (Leo Mazzoni) so I think they are done....Smoltz can't do it forever....but they have a lot of good young players. The Phils are not through dealing...I got an e-mail from their new GM and there are several possible deals in the works. Are you renting your Expedition at DIA....it's a long way to Crested Butte from there.

yes, a 4 1/2 hour ride!

SMadison29
11-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Lets not start calling the Mets a playoff team just yet. Over recent years all of the big named players the Mets have aquired have sucked. Tom Glavine, Mo Vaughn, Carlos Beltran, Kaz Matsui, Roberto Alomar, Roger Cedeno, Richard Hidalgo... Pedro had a good year last year, surprising healthy all year. The Mets have been underachievers year after year & until they live up to the names they sign they'll only be good on paper.

Ray Finkle
11-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Lets not start calling the Mets a playoff team just yet. Over recent years all of the big named players the Mets have aquired have sucked. Tom Glavine, Mo Vaughn, Carlos Beltran, Kaz Matsui, Roberto Alomar, Roger Cedeno, Richard Hidalgo... Pedro had a good year last year, surprising healthy all year. The Mets have been underachievers year after year & until they live up to the names they sign they'll only be good on paper.

I agree however considering how FL is out of the picture, Phillies lost Thome and Wagner, and both the Braves and Nationals haven't upgraded their teams yet I think you have to consider the Mets the favorites to win the NL East. And if they add Manny or Soriano they'll have one of the best line ups in baseball in my opinion.

finfansince72
11-30-2005, 01:37 AM
I agree however considering how FL is out of the picture, Phillies lost Thome and Wagner, and both the Braves and Nationals haven't upgraded their teams yet I think you have to consider the Mets the favorites to win the NL East. And if they add Manny or Soriano they'll have one of the best line ups in baseball in my opinion.

The Mets are paper champions just about every year. Every year they make a splash and put a bunch of big names on the field. And they lose every year. Im not calling them favorites of anything until the season ends and they are division champs. Im not excited about any of these moves because the Mets moves never work out.

SMadison29
11-30-2005, 02:24 AM

I think the Mets are done acquiring big money free agents. They've dropped out of the Furcal chase. We can't underestimate the Braves next year like everyone, including myself, does year after year. They've got a lot of young talented players that played a huge role last year.

phunwin
11-30-2005, 09:21 AM

Actually, that may not be true. Tom Verducci has a very interesting article about all this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/11/29/tom/index.html?cnn=yes

NJFINSFAN1
11-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Actually, that may not be true. Tom Verducci has a very interesting article about all this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/11/29/tom/index.html?cnn=yes

Thanks, good read, I missed that one.

Ray Finkle
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I think the Mets are done acquiring big money free agents. They've dropped out of the Furcal chase. We can't underestimate the Braves next year like everyone, including myself, does year after year. They've got a lot of young talented players that played a huge role last year.

Good point, I am probably overestimating the Mets right now. As for the Braves you're right we shouldn't count them out because they always come through during the season. However I think losing their pitching coach will hurt them a bit. Also remember that Smoltz is another year older, Hampton is gone for the year and they have no bullpen really and no real closer. Again it's still very early and things could change tomorrow if they sign a Trevor Hoffman and a big bat. I'm just tired of the off season already, pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Feb. 18th I believe :)

Ray Finkle
11-30-2005, 11:25 AM
This might be a dumb question but when are the Mets getting their network? Does it start this year? And also would you have to pay for it for the first year like you had to with YES or will it come free with whatever cable system you have (if they carry the network) like YES does now?

phunwin
11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
This might be a dumb question but when are the Mets getting their network? Does it start this year? And also would you have to pay for it for the first year like you had to with YES or will it come free with whatever cable system you have (if they carry the network) like YES does now?

I don't know. I'm planning to call DirecTV to see if they'll be carrying it as part of their normal package.

NJFINSFAN1
11-30-2005, 01:40 PM

I believe it starts this spring!

Ray Finkle
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Phunwin and NJFINSFAN1. I was just curious, I live in Southern CT so I follow the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets during the year. It sucked the first year YES came out and I couldn't watch Yankee games because you had to pay for the channel seperately.

PressCoverage
11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks Phunwin and NJFINSFAN1. I was just curious, I live in Southern CT so I follow the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets during the year. It sucked the first year YES came out and I couldn't watch Yankee games because you had to pay for the channel seperately.

you'd only be financing their payroll by doing that... so don't...

Ray Finkle
11-30-2005, 05:03 PM
you'd only be financing their payroll by doing that... so don't...

:lol: :rofl3:

Nice post. I don't plan on buying it if it doesn't come with my cable automatically.

Roman529
12-01-2005, 01:02 AM
The Phils made two nice additions today. :)

Abraham Nunez who can play 3rd, 2nd and 1st....nice glove, decent average, not a lot of power but he can play the infield.

Julio Santana, reliever, won't replace Wagner but he should help the bullpen.
Phils are gonna need a closer like Trevor Hoffman. :)