PDA

View Full Version : College freshmen face a major dilemma

BAMAPHIN 22
11-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Ask young children what they want to be when they grow up and the answer will change three times before dinner. Ask them when they are eighteen and the answer is unlikely to be any more decisive.

Eighty percent of college-bound students have yet to choose a major, according to Dr. Fritz Grupe, founder of MyMajors.com (http://www.mymajors.com/). But, they are still expected to pick schools, apply to and start degree programs without knowing where they want to end up. It is little wonder 50 percent of those who do declare a major, change majors—with many doing so two and three times during their college years, according to Grupe.

While it is difficult enough watching children struggle to find their life’s path, it can also be costly. With tuition averaging $13,833 a year at public universities, indecisiveness can drain college savings accounts as students restart course sequences or transfer schools — losing credits in the process. Ultimately they risk extending their college days beyond the four years parents planned to finance (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10154383/#).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10154383/

UCFinfan86
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
im a senior and i have no idea what i want to do. I applied to 2 schools FSU and UCF. FSU just cuz i have been a huge fsu football fan since i wa sliek 8. I always wanted to go there,idk if they fofer what i want, i kno its not the right way but i would like to be a semionle.

Clark Kent
11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm 19 (soph) and don't know what I want to do. I'm hoping that a drug deal goes wrong, and I just find 20 mill in a briefcase on the ground. I'm really counting on it....

byroan
11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I've already switched majors since I've been in college. It's hard to find something you want to do.

Gonzo
11-29-2005, 11:51 PM
im a senior and i have no idea what i want to do. I applied to 2 schools FSU and UCF. FSU just cuz i have been a huge fsu football fan since i wa sliek 8. I always wanted to go there,idk if they fofer what i want, i kno its not the right way but i would like to be a semionle.

Don't worry about it too much. My suggestion to you is to focus on you general requirements and experiment with courses you are interested in. You may come across something you never thought of. I became a History major my sophomore year and never looked back. I was originally a Biology major, education minor, so that shows how much things can change. What kind of areas are you thinking of?

RWhitney014
11-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm lucky. I've known what I wanted to do for a long time, and this site has helped me get my feet wet.

Buddwalk
11-30-2005, 03:00 AM
I've already switched majors since I've been in college. It's hard to find something you want to do.

What college ya go to man?

byroan
11-30-2005, 03:01 AM
What college ya go to man?

Local community college for now. I'll be at Charlotte next year.

Quelonio
11-30-2005, 03:41 AM
I am 3 weeks away from finally graduating school. And I still don't know If I chose the exact thing I want to do. I enjoy it a lot, and I would really love to do this all my life, but I just don't know If I am ruthless enough to work in the politics of this bussiness.

So I guess the thing is not to worry too much about it. It will always be there, and the best you can do is ride with it.

Miamian
11-30-2005, 04:51 AM
I think most of us aren't sure when we first arrive at college, so what? That's why some colleges, FSU is one, have centers that help you choose majors. They don't tell you what to study, they just help you understand what you want.

Even so, just because you start at one college, you can't transfer? Criteria for choosing a school should focus on one that's suitable to your grades, your expectation of academic achievement, where you feel comfortable, in a community that you like, etc. Unless you AP a lot of credits your first two years are all basic studies anyway.

Miamian
11-30-2005, 04:53 AM
And besides that, why should you worry about your major as a freshman? You're in college to get an education, not a training. Too many students choose career-oriented courses their first two years and they don't leave college truly educated.

byroan
11-30-2005, 05:08 AM
Oh yeah, I still haven't technically changed my major through my college. I got a scholarship letter on Monday that requires me to be in my current major which is Business Administration. Although I'm taking courses for my new major (criminal justice) in the spring. :lol:

UCFinfan86
11-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Don't worry about it too much. My suggestion to you is to focus on you general requirements and experiment with courses you are interested in. You may come across something you never thought of. I became a History major my sophomore year and never looked back. I was originally a Biology major, education minor, so that shows how much things can change. What kind of areas are you thinking of?

No idea, i would really like to do somethign with sports. I wanted to be a broadcaster but i didnt take those courses in high school. My dream job would actually be like one of those behind the scenes people at sportscenter, putting highlights together and putting the things on the screen. Id really like something with sports, but my math is ok so i could go into something like that as well.

Also in am currently finishing my Drafting Academy in highschool. This is a pretty cool academy, but i dont know if i would want to do this for a living and i dont know if i learned enough in high school(my teacher is a quack) to take classes for this in college

ch19079
11-30-2005, 10:19 AM
i didnt declare untill the second semester of my junior year. they kept saying to jsut pick one and if you dont like it you can change it. but i figured, why take 3 classes a semester that i may end up not using or needing.

i took intro classes to 5 majors that i hated the least for 1 semester. i found that 4 of the 5 sucked, so i majored in the 5th.

my sister is trying to pick a major as a freshman at ECU. she says either biology, communication, or media production. (they have NOTHING in common). its a big decision.

but even after you graduate with a degree, most dont ever use that degree in the job they get. they end up doing something else.

its really the degree that matters, and not what you majored in. many jobs require a college degree. but it would be good to major in something you enjoy. and if you want to get a masters, you can get a masters in ANYTHING, as long as you have a degree in something.

Gonzo
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
No idea, i would really like to do somethign with sports. I wanted to be a broadcaster but i didnt take those courses in high school. My dream job would actually be like one of those behind the scenes people at sportscenter, putting highlights together and putting the things on the screen. Id really like something with sports, but my math is ok so i could go into something like that as well.

Also in am currently finishing my Drafting Academy in highschool. This is a pretty cool academy, but i dont know if i would want to do this for a living and i dont know if i learned enough in high school(my teacher is a quack) to take classes for this in college

Just know that anything sports related is extremely competitive. I suggest focusing on English your first years, as they will be the most useful classes throughout college, regardless of major. Maybe try some journalism classes, see if you like that. From there you can go into writing, broadcasting, etc. Also, try a business class. They are usually related fields for most degrees, are useful in daily life, and again, you may end up liking it a lot. Sports are a business first and foremost, so that is probably your best chance of getting into it. Maybe Marketing? Again, you don't have to decide right away, just go in with an open mind and try a few things. Just go in undeclared so you don't feel as if you are committed to something you are unsure of.

UCFinfan86
11-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Just know that anything sports related is extremely competitive. I suggest focusing on English your first years, as they will be the most useful classes throughout college, regardless of major. Maybe try some journalism classes, see if you like that. From there you can go into writing, broadcasting, etc. Also, try a business class. They are usually related fields for most degrees, are useful in daily life, and again, you may end up liking it a lot. Sports are a business first and foremost, so that is probably your best chance of getting into it. Maybe Marketing? Again, you don't have to decide right away, just go in with an open mind and try a few things. Just go in undeclared so you don't feel as if you are committed to something you are unsure of.

i hate english, im not good at writing papers and sentence structures and that stuff, i have ENC1101 and 1102 out of the way cuz i do Dual Enrollment and im hoping i dont have to take any more english classes

Motion
11-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Theres also a big difference between what you wanna do and what you can make a living in. What you wanna do may be insanely popular and hard as hell to find a job in.

Philter25
11-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Theres also a big difference between what you wanna do and what you can make a living in. What you wanna do may be insanely popular and hard as hell to find a job in. :yes:

Gonzo
11-30-2005, 08:13 PM
i hate english, im not good at writing papers and sentence structures and that stuff, i have ENC1101 and 1102 out of the way cuz i do Dual Enrollment and im hoping i dont have to take any more english classes

Well, you better get used to it if you want to get through college. I can't think of a single field where writing isn't important. Even in math.

spydertl79
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm a senior in high school and don't know exactly what I want to do. I should have my mind made up within a year.

Clark Kent
12-01-2005, 12:34 AM
i didnt declare untill the second semester of my junior year. they kept saying to jsut pick one and if you dont like it you can change it. but i figured, why take 3 classes a semester that i may end up not using or needing.

i took intro classes to 5 majors that i hated the least for 1 semester. i found that 4 of the 5 sucked, so i majored in the 5th.

my sister is trying to pick a major as a freshman at ECU. she says either biology, communication, or media production. (they have NOTHING in common). its a big decision.

but even after you graduate with a degree, most dont ever use that degree in the job they get. they end up doing something else.

its really the degree that matters, and not what you majored in. many jobs require a college degree. but it would be good to major in something you enjoy. and if you want to get a masters, you can get a masters in ANYTHING, as long as you have a degree in something.

My uncle has his degree is Zoology and buys and sells property for an old folks home corp. Guy makes 140k...