PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sets PS3 Price Range

Caps
11-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Link (http://games.techwhack.com/268/221124-sony-gives-hints-on-pricing-of-playstation-3/)

Didn't see it posted even though the article is a few days old. It's gonna be between $300-400, definitely good news for those of us that are waiting for it. Thoughts?

Nappy Roots
11-29-2005, 08:50 PM
that so much money for a game system. better be worth it. hopefully i win the lottery by then or something

NuttyFin
11-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Buy one then sell it on ebay!;)

Joneal7
11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
nice

Nappy Roots
11-30-2005, 01:00 AM

u think? did anyone on this board do that with the 360?

WelcomeBack
11-30-2005, 01:25 AM
I don't know if anyone on the board has done that, but you can see many people have. They bought the system at launch, and I see them being sold on eBay for about $2,000 or more at times.

dominizzo
11-30-2005, 03:20 AM
What a Price soo expensive

Predaphin
11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Alot cheaper then the 360....I'm glad I waited

UltraDol-Fan
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
by the time it comes out the 360 will probably be $200, and if it isn't I bet they run a promotion or something to make it significantly cheaper

mor911
11-30-2005, 04:43 PM
They will most definitely drop the price of the 360 once PS3 rolls out. It's the only way Bill and Co can stay competetive.

Caps
11-30-2005, 04:48 PM
by the time it comes out the 360 will probably be $200, and if it isn't I bet they run a promotion or something to make it significantly cheaper

In all likelyhood the PS3 will launch around June/July. There's no way in hell the cheap version of 360 drops $100 off it's tag in less than 8 months. I could see it at around $250, and even that is a stretch IMO.

Clark Kent
11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
In all likelyhood the PS3 will launch around June/July. There's no way in hell the cheap version of 360 drops $100 off it's tag in less than 8 months. I could see it at around $250, and even that is a stretch IMO.The PS3 won't see the light of day until novemeber of 06 at the earliest.

Everyone who plays games knows the summer is the worst time to release anything video game related...

Caps
11-30-2005, 05:19 PM
The PS3 won't see the light of day until novemeber of 06 at the earliest.

Everyone who plays games knows the summer is the worst time to release anything video game related...

Read the article.

finsrule84
11-30-2005, 07:02 PM

that's what i plan on doing, get me a free PS3 and a sweet HDTV

please sony, follow on microsoft's footsteps and create a shortage

Predaphin
11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
actually i'm in no rush for the PS3....I say let them take up until novemeber 06 to release it...i can wait....

I'd rather they take their time making it correctly and as flawless as possible....I would hate for them to rush the PS3 out into the market only to have a bunch of glitches like the XBox 360....

Caps
11-30-2005, 07:43 PM
actually i'm in no rush for the PS3....I say let them take up until novemeber 06 to release it...i can wait....

I'd rather they take their time making it correctly and as flawless as possible....I would hate for them to rush the PS3 out into the market only to have a bunch of glitches like the XBox 360....

True dat.

AquaInferno
11-30-2005, 08:31 PM
ALLLRIGHT! I was expecting at least $500! Anyone in here think that's good news besides me?

Caps
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
ALLLRIGHT! I was expecting at least $500! Anyone in here think that's good news besides me?

I was expecting about $500 too, I'd happily shell out $400 for this bad boy.

jmenjes
12-01-2005, 01:52 AM
I can wait for a while before I pick up a PS3. Same thing with the 360.

I probably will place a pre-order for the Revolution, though.

jnewmant
12-01-2005, 02:24 AM
i'm gonna try to get about ten of them when they first come out and sell them on ebay

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 12:01 PM
why i will wait to buy a ps3.....the rumors that you have to register the disc to your ps3 and that you wont be able to buy used games or rent games

Caps
12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
why i will wait to buy a ps3.....the rumors that you have to register the disc to your ps3 and that you wont be able to buy used games or rent games

And the rumors a few months ago was that Xbox 360 wouldn't play ANY Xbox games. I could give you more examples but this one is the most recent. Rumors are irrelevant and are false more often than not.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 01:20 PM
yes but not playing OLD games is different than not playing any NEW games

Caps
12-03-2005, 01:41 PM
yes but not playing OLD games is different than not playing any NEW games

I'm not debating the content of the rumors, I'm debating the validity(none) of rumors in general. Rumors are called rumors for a reason, they aren't based on any facts and are often false, which I believe this rumor will turn out to be, just like the 360 backward compatability rumor before it.

Motion
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
This is old news.

That interview with Sony's CEO was over a month ago.

Merrill Lynch also announced waht Sony's price would be over a month ago.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=104089

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 02:01 PM
found this on another board

"If you already own an HDTV, like myself, you are better off with a 360 than a PS3.
People are going to be shocked when they learn that the only game system that can play on all HDTVs is the 360.

Sony missed the boat by saddling up with a DRM that makes the PS3 unplayable in high definition on MOST HDTVs. In case you are unaware, Sony is requiring HDTVs to support HDCP in order to watch Blu-Ray movies, and most HDTVs owners do not have this. What's the point of using Blu-Ray when most HDTV owners wont be able to watch movies in high definition because they crippled the system? Why is Sony so anti-consumer lately? I'm not going to run out an buy a new HDTV just because Sony tells me to. http://www.drmadness.com/

Lets just hope that Sony will change their stance.

"Mandatory HDCP encrypted output" for Blu-Ray:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000623059130/

HDCP is already pissing off consumers:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...ws.php?id=7231

MOST people who own HDTVs do not have HDCP compatible tvs. HDCP is REQUIRED on the PS3 due to the DRM that the movie studios want. Combine that with the FACT that the HDCP excludes most HDTV owners and you have a serious problem. For the record, HD-DVD is doing the same thing, I don't see either of them taking off like DVD."

Caps
12-03-2005, 03:16 PM
This is old news.

That interview with Sony's CEO was over a month ago.

Merrill Lynch also announced waht Sony's price would be over a month ago.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=104089

I know the interview was fairly old, I had been waiting for someone to post it for a while, nobody did, so I took the liberty to go ahead and do it myself.

Caps
12-03-2005, 03:48 PM
"Mandatory HDCP encrypted output" for Blu-Ray:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000623059130/

You fail to mention that HD DVD will ALSO be HDCP encrypted. And considering that 360 is going to have to upgrade to either format(probably Blu-Ray, considering EA has sided with it) in the next few years to accomodate developers, it doesn't look like there's much of a choice in the matter. Buy PS3 and get an HDCP encrypted format for your software, or buy a 360, enjoy a couple years of gaming on DVD's, and then upgrade to an HDCP encrypted format anyway. Please. 360 isn't better at all in this regard.

BTW, your third link doesn't work.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 06:38 PM
not mine...i copied and pasted..like i said i got it from another board

Agent51
12-03-2005, 09:39 PM

That right there would KILL the system before it even started, no way it can be true. It's one thing to not have backwards compatibility, but to not be able to play a game but on ONE system? No way, not true. Think about it. First, and the BIGGEST reason it can't be true is that would mean there would be no PS3 at BLOCKBUSTER, or any other place that rents games. Most people rent a game and if they like it they go buy it, only being able to play a certain disc on 1 system would kill that. Also, friends wouldn't be able to be like "oh dude, just got this bada$$ game, I'll bring it over, or go rent it". Plus, the fact that you couldn't buy used game would be a HUGE turnoff to some people. Sometimes a game is just OK and you are like "I'd prolly buy this if it weren't $50" so you go to EB or Gamestop of whatever you have and then get it used, sometimes MUCH cheaper than brand new. Also, sometimes people will be browsing at EB or a place with used games and see a title and just buy it because it looks like it could be good and it's cheap cuz it's used, I know I've done that. Yea, sometimes they are horrible, but sometimes they are good too, it's a game of chance, but I'm much happier when a game turns out to be crappy and I only dropped $20 on it used and not $50 new. The "rumor" prolly started because someone heard that you CAN register your game FROM your machine and just twisted it around.

AquaInferno
12-03-2005, 10:03 PM
That right there would KILL the system before it even started, no way it can be true. It's one thing to not have backwards compatibility, but to not be able to play a game but on ONE system? No way, not true. Think about it. First, and the BIGGEST reason it can't be true is that would mean there would be no PS3 at BLOCKBUSTER, or any other place that rents games. Most people rent a game and if they like it they go buy it, only being able to play a certain disc on 1 system would kill that. Also, friends wouldn't be able to be like "oh dude, just got this bada$$ game, I'll bring it over, or go rent it". Plus, the fact that you couldn't buy used game would be a HUGE turnoff to some people. Sometimes a game is just OK and you are like "I'd prolly buy this if it weren't $50" so you go to EB or Gamestop of whatever you have and then get it used, sometimes MUCH cheaper than brand new. Also, sometimes people will be browsing at EB or a place with used games and see a title and just buy it because it looks like it could be good and it's cheap cuz it's used, I know I've done that. Yea, sometimes they are horrible, but sometimes they are good too, it's a game of chance, but I'm much happier when a game turns out to be crappy and I only dropped $20 on it used and not $50 new. The "rumor" prolly started because someone heard that you CAN register your game FROM your machine and just twisted it around.

Also, if the PS3 could register the game to the system it would need to write a small amount of data onto the disc the first time it's played and then the dvd would be finalized. Not only would there be a modchip out there for the PS3 to allow any game to be used, but someone would find a way to exploit the ability to write data onto a Blu-Ray disc. By creating a full out Blu-Ray burner. It would be a bad move on Sony's part to even consider this.

Deus Ex Dolphin
12-04-2005, 12:38 PM
You have to consider how much money Sony loses to piracy to understand that they DID in fact consider going this direction.

Remember, Sony gets NOTHING from used game sales, so why should they care if they hurt that market segment?

Sony did seem to understand how NEGATIVE a reaction they would get for using a "game-locked-to-one-system" disk, so they appear to have dropped the idea -at least for PS3 games, HD movies might still be that way. Pirates will ALWAYS find away around any copy protection, and you only end up frustrating honest customers instead.

1stDownRBrown
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I know some of you think nothing is for free and its all a scam and all that stuff, blah blah.. but if anybody wants to look up what CNN and Fox have to say about Freepay you will see it is legitamite. Also the Better Business Bureau has only received 1 complaint and it has been resolved. So, this stuff is for real... check the sig, I got 27 referals for my free Xbox360, 7 have already completed an offer so once I get 1 more out of the 20 to complete an offer I will have a free Xbox360 in the mail. Now I'm trying to get my PS3 done before they ever come out. Check it out.

Agent51
12-05-2005, 03:07 PM
You have to consider how much money Sony loses to piracy to understand that they DID in fact consider going this direction.

Remember, Sony gets NOTHING from used game sales, so why should they care if they hurt that market segment?

Sony did seem to understand how NEGATIVE a reaction they would get for using a "game-locked-to-one-system" disk, so they appear to have dropped the idea -at least for PS3 games, HD movies might still be that way. Pirates will ALWAYS find away around any copy protection, and you only end up frustrating honest customers instead.

If anything Microsoft loses more on piracy. Think about it, just in terms of videogame systems the XBox is MUCH easier to mod than a PS2, and you hear TONS about modded XBoxes compared to PS2s. Basically with a modded XBox you just rent/borrow a game and burn it to the HD, boom, you have a $50 game for free, or for a rental fee, which if you join a site like GameFly is like $20 a month for UNLIMITED rentals. That's just console talk, nevermind that people pirate Microsofts PC apps and programs all the time, anything from something small like Word all they way up to the actual Windows operating system. So if ANYONE were to implement that disk registering protection I'd think Microsoft would consider it WAY before Sony.

Deus Ex Dolphin
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Sony is more into hardware than software so MS almost certainly loses more to piracy. MS also makes billions more than Sony though, despite the piracy, and didn't bother to try and include this anti-piracy stuff into the 360. Sony, it seems, at least considered it seriously, since they make much less profit than MS.

Does any of this really matter? Not really. Only if Sony had gone ahead with this would it have become a HUGE issue for gamers.

Fudge 101
12-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Although they do not get money from the used games...they DO receive a ton of money from rental companies. Each store of each company has several games that are bought to be rented. Although I am a gamer and will buy a game before renting it, I know a lot of people who wouldnt think of forking out the $$ before trying it first. The amount of games sold to companies like Blockbuster is an astounding number that I would be interested in seeing. Think what, 7 copies per store for a good game....maybe more? Times that by the amount of stores in the country and BAM thats a lot of copies sold instantly...