PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thornton traded...

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I JUST heard this...

Joe Thornton to the Sharks

Marco Sturm, Wayne Primaeu and Brad Stuart to the Bruins.

FaninPatsyLand
11-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Holy ****!

Where did you hear this from?

PeaTearGriffin
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
i am stunned...i knew that SJ was trying to trade stuart, but i didn't think they would land thornton. Also boston needed to do something they were struggling but still i don't know about this.

Heres link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145158&hubname=

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Mike O'Connell is a SCUMBAG!

He is covering his mistakes and covering his *** by trading the franchise player.

I have been a Bruins fan for 30 years...since birth basically.

I have dealt with a LOT of crap in my time...this is the worst.

How do you improve your team by trading it's best player and the face of the franchise?

I don't know if I can deal with that team anymore...I've been on the edge with them for a LONg time...this was the last damn straw.

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:02 PM
i am stunned...i knew that SJ was trying to trade stuart, but i didn't think they would land thornton. Also boston needed to do something they were struggling but still i don't know about this.

Heres link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145158&hubname=

You don't trade your BEST PLAYER and the FACE OF THE FRANCHISE i8f you are having a bad month!!!!!!!!

O....M.........G......I am livid, irate...pick your word that means TOTALLY PISSED OFF!

FaninPatsyLand
11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
How can anyone take this organization seriously?

This is pathetic, Jacobs and O'Connell are just pieces of ****.

We've heard for years, "wait till the new CBA comes along and a salary cap is put in place, we'll be Stanley Cup contenders." How did that work out? They flopped.

And now they go and peddle off their only marketable player on the team.

PeaTearGriffin
11-30-2005, 11:07 PM
You don't trade your BEST PLAYER and the FACE OF THE FRANCHISE i8f you are having a bad month!!!!!!!!

O....M.........G......I am livid, irate...pick your word that means TOTALLY PISSED OFF!

i agree BAD move, i just don't understand this they didn't even pick up great young talent...this makes no sense to me. This trade should have Michalek instead of Primeau for it to make any sense

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
How can anyone take this organization seriously?

This is pathetic, Jacobs and O'Connell are just pieces of ****.

We've heard for years, "wait till the new CBA comes along and a salary cap is put in place, we'll be Stanley Cup contenders." How did that work out? They flopped.

And now they go and peddle off their only marketable player on the team.

I can't take it anymore....I really can't.

When Raymond was traded to the Av's I became a semi-fulltime Av's fan, although I liked them from their Nordique days.

I may have to completely put all my emotions into the Av's now. At least they TRY to win.

I am astounded....they basically traded Joe Thornton...a top 5 player on the planet for a bag of pucks.

This trade was so stupid it is beyond words.

FaninPatsyLand
11-30-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm not a die-hard hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it's probably a bad thing I've never heard of any of these guys. No young talent there?

I can't wait till WEEI gets a hold of this news. The radio personalities are going to absolutely rip into that organization.

d-day
11-30-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't know if I can deal with that team anymore...I've been on the edge with them for a LONg time...this was the last damn straw.

d-day - so how bout them leafs
u.t.'s girlfriend - yeah how bout them leafs...

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm not a die-hard hockey fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it's probably a bad thing I've never heard of any of these guys. No young talent there?

I can't wait till WEEI gets a hold of this news. The radio personalities are going to absolutely rip into that organization.

Dude...I bought $100 tickets to see the Bruins in Vancouver on Sunday the 4th of December. It was a birthday present to myself.

I'm selling them and not going...I'm so pissed right now it is beyond words.

GreenMonster
11-30-2005, 11:18 PM

Oh how I miss WEEI...

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:19 PM
d-day - so how bout them leafs
u.t.'s girlfriend - yeah how bout them leafs...

LOL...she already said "well, the Leafs fan's will take you"...

I'm an Av's fan...always have been an Av's fan but the Bruins were in my heart.

They can't be after that move...worst trade in a LONG time.

FaninPatsyLand
11-30-2005, 11:40 PM
I can only tell you what I'm hearing through the talk shows up here... but no one is really killing this trade. I think all the personalities believe Thornton is overrated.

Granted the team still sucks...

unifiedtheory
11-30-2005, 11:56 PM
I can only tell you what I'm hearing through the talk shows up here... but no one is really killing this trade. I think all the personalities believe Thornton is overrated.

Granted the team still sucks...

Then the radio guys need to wake up. Thornton is a top 5 player in the world. The media in Boston (the things I've read at least) have always ridden Jow pretty hard. They were all over him for his playoff performance 2 years ago...HE HAD BROKEN RIBS!

Do not let them sway you. This is an AWFUL trade. Brad Stuart is an okay defenseman, Marco Sturm is a third liner and Wayne Primeau's claim to fame is that he has a brother.

Horrid trade...

Ray Finkle
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
I guess with all the talk around Boston/New England being if and when Manny Ramirez is going to be trade that Boston Bruin fans forgot to make a Keep Joe Thornton website.

Roman529
12-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Joe Thornton was about the only player I could name on the Bruins...seems like a bad trade for Boston and not going to be a popular trade either.

FireWrongstedt
12-01-2005, 01:10 AM

HORRIBLE trade for Boston bro. AWFUL. I can understand why Bruins fans are livid- the organization has become (well- more like has BEEN) a joke. An absolute joke. Jacobs, O'Connel and Sinden are the WORST. Talk about an orgainzation that could care less about their fans and winning than the Bruins- and it's a shame because Boston is a GREAT hockey town. I'm not gonna lie though- as a Devils fan, I'm very happy to see Thornton leave the East.

dominizzo
12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
HArry Sinden is to blame he is the mastermind behind the Bruins Boston will be dead in the water while they are at it trade Samsonov murray and zhamnov and even leetch, what a horrible team

PressCoverage
12-01-2005, 08:36 AM
curious... when was the last time any member of the Jacobs family ever left Buffalo and came to see their Bruins? i'm not sure they've ever really been to Boston... they just have a "keep it in the black" mentality towards their front office, and as long as there's a profit, they don't really care about W/Ls ... it's been this way for a long long LONG time, people... i've washed my hands of them years ago... until this team gets a new and committed owner, and a GM with a clue, i just can't give my heart to the Boston Bruins....

""" The 26-year-old signed a three-year, $20 million contract in August with Boston, where he was the club's captain for the last three seasons.
Thornton was less than complimentary of O'Connell and coach Mike Sullivan, whose jobs are both rumored to be in jeopardy.

"I was blindsided," Thornton said in a conference call. """

phunwin
12-01-2005, 08:48 AM
I've been a Bruins fan longer than any other team. Before I was a Dolphins fan or a Mets fan or a Pistons fan, I was a Bruins fan. I stuck by this team through thick and thin, and through probably a dozen of these "salary dump" trades. I'm not sure I can do it anymore. This is the biggest crock of **** I've ever seen. They traded one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league for a solid, but unspectacular defenseman and a winger whose speed and hands are widely hailed, yet has never scored 30 goals in a season, despite being in his 8th season in the league.

I've been sick of the Bruins' cheapskate ways for a long time. Hockey was on a "probationary" period with me after the lockout anyway. This might be the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not sure I can follow the NHL at all anymore after this, that's how pissed I am at the B's right now.

Pink_Dove
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Not sure I like this deal from a Bruins standpoint...
In part because as Bob Mckenzie pointed out (Hockey analyst for TSN), when you've got an asset like Joe Thornton and you're going to move him, you want to start an auction situation where as many teams as possible a bidding for the player.
In this case, Mckenzie says and Nonis the Canucks GM confirmed it, most GM's did not know about the deal. That's a mistake, you've got to drive up the price and see if you can get some draft picks from someone or at least some better prospects. Bottom line, you've got to get more than what they got for a franchise player of Thornton's value.

As for the Sharks, anytime you have Patrick Marleau as your (now) number 2 center, you've got to think you can take advantage of that and create mismatches down low.

UltraDol-Fan
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
well, I can say I was a Bruins fan until this trade. Not anymore :shakeno:. I'll just stick to following my local minor league team, the Fort Worth Brahmas.

phunwin
12-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Not sure I like this deal from a Bruins standpoint...
In part because as Bob Mckenzie pointed out (Hockey analyst for TSN), when you've got an asset like Joe Thornton and you're going to move him, you want to start an auction situation where as many teams as possible a bidding for the player.
In this case, Mckenzie says and Nonis the Canucks GM confirmed it, most GM's did not know about the deal. That's a mistake, you've got to drive up the price and see if you can get some draft picks from someone or at least some better prospects. Bottom line, you've got to get more than what they got for a franchise player of Thornton's value.

Good point. I suppose the B's didn't want word to get out and the whole thing to become a circus. At least, that's the only rational explanation I can conceive. But if making it a circus gets you better value in the end, it's worth it.

I mean, seriously, like the Rangers wouldn't have given up a truckload of talent for Thornton? Or the Flyers? Instead, they traded a dollar for 45 cents.

This is the lowest point I've ever hit as a Bruins fan. Worse than the TWO collapses against Montreal in a three year span, worse than the lockout, even worse than the failure to win a Stanley Cup in Boston for Ray Bourque (who was only on a Marino-esque pedestal in my world as a kid).

pigskinguy
12-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I can't take it anymore....I really can't.

When Raymond was traded to the Av's I became a semi-fulltime Av's fan, although I liked them from their Nordique days.

I may have to completely put all my emotions into the Av's now. At least they TRY to win.

I am astounded....they basically traded Joe Thornton...a top 5 player on the planet for a bag of pucks.

This trade was so stupid it is beyond words.

Come join the Sens band wagon.

pigskinguy
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Then the radio guys need to wake up. Thornton is a top 5 player in the world. The media in Boston (the things I've read at least) have always ridden Jow pretty hard. They were all over him for his playoff performance 2 years ago...HE HAD BROKEN RIBS!

Do not let them sway you. This is an AWFUL trade. Brad Stuart is an okay defenseman, Marco Sturm is a third liner and Wayne Primeau's claim to fame is that he has a brother.

Horrid trade...

I can't believe you just said Thornton is a TOP 5 player in the world. Not even close. Maybe, maybe top 10. I think your lifelong alligence to the Bruins is clouding your judgment on this one.........Bad trade though.

QB2RonnieTD23
12-01-2005, 06:05 PM
and now that the Bruins season is over....the East gets a little easier.

unifiedtheory
12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I can't believe you just said Thornton is a TOP 5 player in the world. Not even close. Maybe, maybe top 10. I think your lifelong alligence to the Bruins is clouding your judgment on this one.........Bad trade though.

My judgement is not clouded...although top 5 is pretty rare air. Top 10? No doubt about it.

No matter anyway. My hands are officially washed of the Bruins. I've dealt with their crap for TOO long.

This trade looks worse today then it did yesterday.

I've ALWAYS had longtime allegiance to teams. I've been a Dolphins fan for 25 years, I've been an Oakland A's fan for 20 years and I WAS a Bruins fan for 30 years...basically since birth.

My love for the Bruins has been tested FAR too many times. Through the years when they would'nt add any help so Neely and Bourque could win a Cup...to them having an "artificial salary cap", to them embarrassing Adam Oates and then trading him..the list goes on.

They have NO interest in winning.

There are EASY explanations to why they are struggling this year.

Coaching: Mike Sullivan is a moron. He was coaching the game like he should have 2 years ago. They would sit back on leads, stop skating, take penalties and lose late short handed.
Management: Harry Mike O'Sindenconnell put this team together HORRIBLY. They added some players but the defense, the weakness of the team for a few years, was barely addressed. Adding Brian Leetch does'nt count. The guy got hurt and he's 100 years old. And they let their best defensman (Nick Boynton) sit home during training camp while they argued over 100,000.00.
How do you solve these issues? Fire the coach? Fire the G.M.?

Not in Boston. In Boston you trade your best AND HIGHEST PAID player for a marginal 2nd line winger, an underachieving #3 defensman and a guy who is no better then ANYBODY that has been on waivers the last week or two.

That is the Bruin way. They have done this for YEARS and I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Why are we fans? We want something to hope for...whether it be a Championship, or improvement or just watching your favorite team and favorite players play the game.

When the team you love has no interest in winning, trades your favorite players and never gets better is there anything left? Is there any reason to care anymore?

I was a Nordiques fan when they were in Quebec because of their rivalry with the Canadiens and Joe Sakic. I've always follwed them.

When they moved to Colorado I continued to do so. Partly because of their rivalry with the Canucks (I don't like my hometown team) and because of Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg.

When Raymond Bourque got traded their I was almost a full time Av's fan. I've probably watched more Av's games in the last 10 years then Bruins games.

They are an organization that does it RIGHT. They build with their young players. They actually KEEP their young players. They make SMART trades and they ALWAYS try to win.

I'm not jumping bandwagon...I'm just getting of a runaway train that is and never will go anywhere.

Go Av's!!!!

phunwin
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
My final thoughts on the matter, and probably the NHL for good: http://phunwin.blogspot.com/

FaninPatsyLand
12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
My final thoughts on the matter, and probably the NHL for good: http://phunwin.blogspot.com/

That was a excellent piece. It's sad to see this trade just crush the hopes of so many die-hards...

The Bruins really have never been a factor since I was born so I don't have the great experiences like some of you all do. I got nowhere to go, I'll still root for them, but ownership is just a bunch of scumbags.

unifiedtheory
12-02-2005, 12:10 AM

You took everything I've been feeling and thinking and put it all together in one article.

EXCELLENT READ!

pigskinguy
12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
My judgement is not clouded...although top 5 is pretty rare air. Top 10? No doubt about it.

No matter anyway. My hands are officially washed of the Bruins. I've dealt with their crap for TOO long.

This trade looks worse today then it did yesterday.

I've ALWAYS had longtime allegiance to teams. I've been a Dolphins fan for 25 years, I've been an Oakland A's fan for 20 years and I WAS a Bruins fan for 30 years...basically since birth.

My love for the Bruins has been tested FAR too many times. Through the years when they would'nt add any help so Neely and Bourque could win a Cup...to them having an "artificial salary cap", to them embarrassing Adam Oates and then trading him..the list goes on.

They have NO interest in winning.

There are EASY explanations to why they are struggling this year.

Coaching: Mike Sullivan is a moron. He was coaching the game like he should have 2 years ago. They would sit back on leads, stop skating, take penalties and lose late short handed.
Management: Harry Mike O'Sindenconnell put this team together HORRIBLY. They added some players but the defense, the weakness of the team for a few years, was barely addressed. Adding Brian Leetch does'nt count. The guy got hurt and he's 100 years old. And they let their best defensman (Nick Boynton) sit home during training camp while they argued over 100,000.00.
How do you solve these issues? Fire the coach? Fire the G.M.?

Not in Boston. In Boston you trade your best AND HIGHEST PAID player for a marginal 2nd line winger, an underachieving #3 defensman and a guy who is no better then ANYBODY that has been on waivers the last week or two.

That is the Bruin way. They have done this for YEARS and I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Why are we fans? We want something to hope for...whether it be a Championship, or improvement or just watching your favorite team and favorite players play the game.

When the team you love has no interest in winning, trades your favorite players and never gets better is there anything left? Is there any reason to care anymore?

I was a Nordiques fan when they were in Quebec because of their rivalry with the Canadiens and Joe Sakic. I've always follwed them.

When they moved to Colorado I continued to do so. Partly because of their rivalry with the Canucks (I don't like my hometown team) and because of Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg.

When Raymond Bourque got traded their I was almost a full time Av's fan. I've probably watched more Av's games in the last 10 years then Bruins games.

They are an organization that does it RIGHT. They build with their young players. They actually KEEP their young players. They make SMART trades and they ALWAYS try to win.

I'm not jumping bandwagon...I'm just getting of a runaway train that is and never will go anywhere.

Go Av's!!!!

I feel for ya man. I have long wondered what the hell goes on in Boston. One of my good buddies is also a die-hard Bruins fan and he says his devotion to the team is being tested too. They put a good licking on my Sens last night though.

unifiedtheory
12-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I feel for ya man. I have long wondered what the hell goes on in Boston. One of my good buddies is also a die-hard Bruins fan and he says his devotion to the team is being tested too. They put a good licking on my Sens last night though.

And you know what...with all my bluster about giving up on the Bruins and being a full time Av's fan I still said "SWEET!" when I saw the score of the Sens game....old habits die hard.

ChambersWI
12-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I know who Thornton is. I knew this was a bad trade when A)I didn't know any of the players that Boston got and B)ESPN made such a big deal out of this trade, and they were shocked about this trade.

From what I understand, he's definatly a top 10 player, and a top 5 player if he wants to be one.

phunwin
12-03-2005, 12:59 PM
You took everything I've been feeling and thinking and put it all together in one article.

EXCELLENT READ!

Thanks!

And I'm with you, old habits die hard. I was happy when I saw Sturm score on his first shift, but still, it's time to move on.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 01:07 PM
i dont get all these bruins fans saying they will no longer be fans. the reason he was traded was money, they are saving 1.6 million dollars by trading him. Its not like he brought them to glory ala Messier or Leetch to the Rangers. Sure he is a great player, but remember he almost signed elsewhere in the off season and then after that there were trade rumors. Boston couldnt afford him but didnt want to let him go for nothing. The trade was inevitable.

phunwin
12-03-2005, 01:10 PM
i dont get all these bruins fans saying they will no longer be fans. the reason he was traded was money, they are saving 1.6 million dollars by trading him. Its not like he brought them to glory ala Messier or Leetch to the Rangers. Sure he is a great player, but remember he almost signed elsewhere in the off season and then after that there were trade rumors. Boston couldnt afford him but didnt want to let him go for nothing. The trade was inevitable.

Read my blog post and UT's post earlier. This is *NOT* a new thing. This is the culmination of a long and extremely frustrating trend.

And if you still don't understand, you probably never will.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 01:18 PM
oh i know the woes of the bruins fans....the bruins are probably the 2nd worst managed franchise in hockey behind the blackhawks, but there is all this talk nowadays about player loyalty, but what about fan loyalty? Everyone says the name on the front of the jersey means more than the one on the back. I read your blog and while its very touching, i see you were a fan BEFORE thornton got to the B's, whats the problem with rooting for them AFTER he is gone? Im not saying you shouldnt be upset, im a rangers fan and believe you me when we traded graves, didnt sign messier and then traded leetch I was on suicide watch, but the 24 hour rule was invoked. You move on. This is the way sports is today, players come and go. You want to be a fan of a player thats all fine and dandy, but understand the likelyhood of them being a lifetime player for that time is slim to none. Like i said im a life long Ranger fan and have stuck with them all theses years of missing the playoffs, bad signings, bad trades. Again I root for the Rangers, I am a fan of the Messiers, Leetches, etc.

phunwin
12-03-2005, 01:23 PM
But the Rangers play to win. No one can question that. Sure, they manage to do things in a ham-handed way as often as not, but they're actively trying to win. The Bruins aren't, and there's only so much of that as a fan that you can deal with. Like I said, I have no idea why someone would be an Arizona Cardinals or LA Clippers fan. Add that on top of the lockout, and I'm not just bidding the Bruins goodbye, but hockey as well. Fan loyalty has its limits, particularly where management loyalty to the fans is non-existent.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 01:44 PM
But the Rangers play to win. No one can question that. Sure, they manage to do things in a ham-handed way as often as not, but they're actively trying to win. The Bruins aren't, and there's only so much of that as a fan that you can deal with. Like I said, I have no idea why someone would be an Arizona Cardinals or LA Clippers fan. Add that on top of the lockout, and I'm not just bidding the Bruins goodbye, but hockey as well. Fan loyalty has its limits, particularly where management loyalty to the fans is non-existent.

you are the only person i know who would say over the past 8 years the rangers "played to win". but whatever dude. enjoy your baseball or whatever it is your going to watch instead of hockey

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 01:48 PM
you are the only person i know who would say over the past 8 years the rangers "played to win". but whatever dude. enjoy your baseball or whatever it is your going to watch instead of hockey

I think the Rangers have TRIED to win very hard. They just hadn't done a good job of it up until this year. Whether it be trading for Bure, getting Lindros, Kovalev all these guys that i thought were moves that they did in order to WIN. But the Bruins, he is right, have done a pathetic job since Ray Borque left of TRYING to bring home Lord Stanley and pleasing the fans that really do LOVE that team.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
still not a reason to quit rooting for a team or stop watching an entire sport.

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
still not a reason to quit rooting for a team or stop watching an entire sport.

True...the Phillies hadn't made a committment to winning since like 1983 before say, 2 years ago, and still i sat through all the years of misery. For the Sixers it's no different and the Flyers who HAVE made a committment to winning haven't really gotten it done. But again i have stuck with each of those teams and thats what a passionate fan really does.

Slappy8800
12-03-2005, 02:15 PM
agreed.

aside from the yankees, my rangers, orlando magic and dolphins have done nada but i still cheer for em.

unifiedtheory
12-03-2005, 04:07 PM
oh i know the woes of the bruins fans....the bruins are probably the 2nd worst managed franchise in hockey behind the blackhawks, but there is all this talk nowadays about player loyalty, but what about fan loyalty? Everyone says the name on the front of the jersey means more than the one on the back. I read your blog and while its very touching, i see you were a fan BEFORE thornton got to the B's, whats the problem with rooting for them AFTER he is gone? Im not saying you shouldnt be upset, im a rangers fan and believe you me when we traded graves, didnt sign messier and then traded leetch I was on suicide watch, but the 24 hour rule was invoked. You move on. This is the way sports is today, players come and go. You want to be a fan of a player thats all fine and dandy, but understand the likelyhood of them being a lifetime player for that time is slim to none. Like i said im a life long Ranger fan and have stuck with them all theses years of missing the playoffs, bad signings, bad trades. Again I root for the Rangers, I am a fan of the Messiers, Leetches, etc.

Dude....you are 22 years old. How long have you been a Rangers fan? The Rangers have always TRIED to win. The way they have attempted to win was always flawed but at least they always TRIED to win.

The Bruins have never tried to win...EVER. Don't tell me that I can and can't dump this flawed team. I've lived and died with this team for 25 years and they have been doing this EXACT thing for all of that time. Esposito, McLaren, Oates, Bourque, Thornton...the list is endless. If you had to put up with this crap for 2+ decades I'm sure you'd be doing some soul searching on whether you should waste your time anymore.

In the late 80's the Bruins were one more scoring forward away from a Stanley Cup, they NEVER got another scorer because that would have cost them money. They were filling the Garden and winning playoff series' so their was no need to do that little bit extra to win it all.

Whenever a player in their system is due to start making fair market value money they ship him out. Jeremy Jacobs won't let himself pay the players. Look at the case THIS year.

They first offered Joe Thornton a 5 year 22 million dollar contract....laughably below market value. They only upped their offer when they saw what other playerson his level were getting paid. When they DID get around to paying him, they would only give him a 3 year deal.

The weaskest spot on their team is defense. They rejected the option year on Nick Boynton, their best defensman. The value was $1.9 million. They offered him a $1.3 million dollar qualifying offer, again, lowballing a player. So, they let him sit home. After a month they finally agreed to sign him, to a one year, $1.75 million dollar contract...THE EXACT AMOUNT PER SEASON BOYNTON WAS ASKING FOR A MONTH BEFORE!

Just watch, Sergei Samsonov is a goner next year. He's on a one year contract. When Andrew Raycroft is due his money, he'll be traded. The cycle continues. I have no illusions they will ever change unless The Jacobs family MERCIFULLY sells the team to someone who wants to win.

After a few days of the Thornton deal sinking in I realize I'm a Bruins fan...and I'm pretty sure I'll always be a Bruins fan. I'll spend a few more bucks on Av's merchandise but the Bruins will alway be my #1 team...the Av's have been 1A for awhile and will continue to be.

The thing that bothers me about this deal is they did not get market value for Thornton. He's a big, young, playmaking center who is 26 years old and has two and a half years left on his contract. If O'Connell had put it out there that he was shopping him (something that was not done because I'm damn sure someone in the media would have written something) they could have gotten more for him.

This trade hurt the franchise...nothing new though. They are one of the 5 worst run ogranisations in all of sport.