PDA

View Full Version : The Mor's take on gaming

mor911
12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
First, I'd like to say that this id The Mor's opinion on the gaming industry right now and in the next few years. Because it's simply an opinion, I want every to understand that this thread is NOT here to argue about which system, game, or developer will succeed or fail... It's to express our opinion on the industry as it is, and as it will be. No flaming or bashing please.

I'll start off with the current situation of this-gen consoles.

PS2 - Sony does an excellent job of supporting it's consoles well after it's successor has come. Hell, they may still be developing PS1 titles. The next 12 months shows some pretty decent releases for the PS2, but nothing to get too excited about. With the release of the new slim look of the PS2, it's not going anywhere. Sony has plenty of money to be made on this console still.

Gamecube - In my opinion the Gamecube was the biggest dissappointment in the current gen of consoles. Growing up on NES and SNES titles makes this painfil for me to say, but it's true. Nintendo doesn't have enough 3rd party support to make their system worth it. They have Mario, Zelda, Metroid and a handful of other decent titles. They sell there system because we (as comsumers of their old products) have to have the new Zelda or Metroid game (I didn't say Mario because in my honest opinion, Mario is done and played out). Because Nintendo only gives us 2 real reason to buy their consoles (Zelda and Metroid), I think it's awful that we let them do it to us. People are going to say that the GC is cheap. True it is... But you're still buying a console for 2 games. It's pathetic in my opinion, and I really feel the big N has let me down. I am a Nintendo fan. A huge one. For this reason, I will not purchase another Nintendo product until they prove that they have more to offer from their console than 2 killer apps. Step it up Nintendo.

Xbox - The Xbox started a little too late and a little too dumb to gain ground on the PS2. It's a distant second in sales, but Microsoft has a way of attracting a fanbase. The greatest thing Bill and Co ever did was redesigning the controller. Once they lost that breifcase sized controller it was gametime for Microsoft. They have had a line up of killer first party titles, and 3rd party support is at an all time high. The folks behind the Xbox have done their homework and learned a lot about the world of gaming from Sony... One thing they ignored, was continued support. With the launch of the 360, the regular Xbox has no big named titles coming out. It seems as if they've abandoned there market. It's almost an ultimatum, "Go buy a 360 or we're done with you!" You can't do that to your fans. I'll go in detail on the 360 in a bit, but I'm afraid to say that the regular Xbox probly only has a good 6-10 months of software support left in. Not good Microsoft. Not good.

Hand Helds

Gameboy (GB and GBA) - The undeniable king of handhelds. The Gameboy has seen several overhauls and facelifts and is still the best selling console on the planet (by far). Nintendo is just now releasing the new Micro version and will no doubt sell tons of units just for being cute. Age and technology will catch up with the GB soon. Lack of high quality video and animation that the new gen of gamers grew up with will make the GB obsolete in less than 2 years. Great games (especially RPGs) are still in the works for the GB, so don't run over it with your car yet.

Nintendo DS - Nintendo's gimmicky touch-screen handheld in not just a gimmick. Nowhere near as powerful as the PSP (it's largest competitor in the next-gen handheld arena), but Nintendo has released a lineup of addicting and interesting games that some people just like more than the PSP's lineup. The Mor has a DS and honestly, the only game that's great for it is Castlevania (in my opinion of course). Castlevania is also The Mor's favorite handheld game period. Definitely a must-buy game if you're a DS owner... Should you buy a DS just for this game? Probly not. Like it or not, the DS and the PSP are at a dead tie in sales world wide. With Nintendo's big names (Link, Mario, and Metroid) still on the way, Nintendo fans will make this thing sell. I love mine.

PSP - The power handheld of the future. Sony's PSP was promised to be as powerful as a PS2. When developers dove deeper into the PSP, they realized it's nowhere near it the power of a PSP. That doesn't mean it's not powerful, that just means that Sony altered the truth a bit (not the first time either. They are nutorious for making their equipment look overpowerful prior to launching). The PSP is still hands down the most powerful hand held around. They just got a few RPGs, and the new GTA game and it is solid. Liberty City Stories is a beautifully created game and is a definite must-buy for PSP owners. I thing the PSP and DS will both stay successful for years to come, simply because they attract different audiences. I believe they will co-exist.

Next Gen?

Xbox 360 - The next generation of consoles has arrived... Or so Microsoft says. The truth of the matter is that 360 has not been impressing gamers. Is that bad, not really. Is that good? No. The truth is, just like when the PS2 was released, there is no real competition for the 360. The only competition is promises from Sony. With Sony stating the release of the PS3 at mid 2006 (usually a Japanese release, thus getting state side in November-ish) Microsoft has tons of time to impress people... And you know what, I think they will. The first run of games are always lackluster. I remember buying a PS2 on release day and going home popping in Orphan and was like, "WTF!?!?". It took the release of Onimusha to convince the Mor that he didn't make a $300 mistake. Next year Oblivion, Gears of War, Halo 3, and a grip of other big names will be released, and I think a lot of people will say , "screw it and get a 360." People will deny this, but it'll happen. Plus, once Sony gets in the game, Microsoft is bound to price cut them by dropping $50-$100 off the price. The 360 isn't going anywhere. Sony fans everywhere is just dying to see them fail. I don't see it happening. The 360 will go on, and it will do very well. Bill and Co developed the 360 so it's very easy to develope for (not something that Sony is known for) and this will attract 3rd parties because it cuts developement costs. It's all about the money in the end people, and there's a lot of money to be made in the 360. Xbox Live is a great online service. Most people that use it will agree that it's well worth $50 a month for reliable online gaming with full profile support and voice over IP on every game. There has been reports of heating issues with the 360s. I personally don't have one yet, but the 2 friends and a cousin that does have no issues with freezing (knock on wood). The pictures of people's gaming rig that I've seen online have been horriblr places to put your console. Not saying that the problem doesn't exist, just saying I haven't experienced it, and think it can be preventable.

PS3 - At this point the Mor has no idea what to think of the PS3. Half of me says numbers don't lie... The other half says Sony does. I love Sony, and I love what they do for gaming... But we have no idea what to expect really. Images and videos that's supposed to be a PS3 is unconvincing. The only thing to get excited about is MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, and this omnipotent power they are promising. I'm sure the PS3 will be great. I'm sure it'll be powerful. I'm just unsure to what extent. The 360 will have a whole year head start against the PS3. That's a LOT of time Bill and Co has to convince people to buy their system. I'm telling you now. A lot of die hard Sony fans will buy a 360. No body will admit it, but it'll happen. Sony needs to hope that Microsoft continues to release week games and come steal the show in 2006. Blu-Ray is an awesome medium for games to be on. It makes the PS3 very ready for 2010, when games may need 32GB of space. Now it's over kill, but they are looking ahead. Good job Sony. A huge dissappointment with the PS3 is that god awful controller. I could be dead wrong, and it may be the greatest controller ever made. But when you look at a game device, you should be able to picture yourself playing it on all kinds of games... I don't see that. It looks goofy and uncomfortable... Again, I'm just speculating. At minimum, they need to switch the location of the D-pad and the left analog stick. There's no reason we should still have to reach to the middle of a controller to use the analog stick.

Revolution - Dear god Nintendo why? This company that I used to worship is now taking the Gamnecube to the next level. Nintendo's controller design has pretty much slapped all the developers, and gamers in the face saying screw you. Only Nintendo made games will be fun on this thing. When you buy a Revolution (which I think hardly describes it) you will be buying it to play first party games only. Nindendo also promises it to play all previos Nintendo games. Bull. Now they want to cash in on something we've been getting on the PC for free for years. I can almost guarantee that all of these retro titles will be over priced too. Hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it though, and they will continue to tell the gaming industry what we want, and they will continue to lose momentum. Unless the big N changes something huge... I honestly thing the Revolution will be Nintendo's last non-hand held console. Only the hardcore will buy the revolution, and it won't fly. I see it being distant 3rd place in the console wars and by 2011 I see Nintendo making Metroid for 360 and Zelda for PS3 (or something to that effect). Nobody wants to admit it, but Nintendo might just go the way of Sega.

PC - Well, this is something else that pains me to say... But it must be said. PC gaming will come to an end sooner than we think. Why you ask? Because there is less and less money in PC gaming every year. The fact of the matter is this: PC games are way too easy to rip off. Developement costs are going up, and people that are paying for the games are going down. It's a much safer bet to make your game on the 360 or PS3 then port it to the PC for some extra change. Granted, I can easily rip an Xbox game (and soon 360 games), but it's nowhere near as easy as PC games. Don't believe me? Visit http://thepiratebay.org and search for any new PC game. If you do download it (which is illegal and the Mor does not recommend) it'll come with a crack, a fixed EXE and full walk throughs on how to rip it off. Too easy. More and more PC games are simply console ports every year. By 2017, The Mor predicts that PS4 and Xbox 720 (just making a point) will have just about all the games, and PCs will get top selling ports. Sorry PC gamers... Just Mor's opinion.

Well, I think I got it all. Buy a 360 or wait on PS3? Both seem like safe bets. Both will be around for a while. I like games regardless of who makes them or what system they're on. To say something sucks just because you don't like the company that makes it is ignorant and very Jet's fan-like :lol:. Talk to me friends.

:mor911:

Mindwarp
12-01-2005, 06:55 PM
woah.. when did the mor learn to think?

Predaphin
12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
nice read....

byroan
12-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I've been waiting for Nintendo to redo Chrono Trigger and Earthbound from the SNES. I'd buy their system for one of those games. The Gamecube is for kids from like 10-15. My brother enjoys the RPG's for it.

Caps
12-01-2005, 07:27 PM
About the PS3's controller, watch this clip. (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24025578) I'm not sure sure if that will turn out to be true or not, but it does seem to be more natural. Just something to think about.

mor911
12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
About the PS3's controller, watch this clip. (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24025578) I'm not sure sure if that will turn out to be true or not, but it does seem to be more natural. Just something to think about.
Awesome. I hope it does turn out as comfy as that picture shows. The better I'm all for it if it really works. :D

AquaInferno
12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm notorious for hyping things over 1 feature but this is awsome.
Ninento DS Mario Kart Wifi!!!!! Wi Fi! That means the hot spots work, and you can play anyone in the world. Sure you can't use wifi on the road (well you could but it would take too much effort to rig it, and you'd need broadband access from verizon) but playing in your house would still be sweet. The PSP has the killer apps/hacks
DS Wi Fi! Pokemon Wi Fi woulda been sweet when I was youger... Kids are ****in lucky lol...

Agent51
12-01-2005, 09:42 PM

WOW, hopefully that is really like that because the impression I got from the pics of it were that the handles would go all the way down to my elbows, lollol. That looks MUCH better, and more comfortable than the current PS controller. Let's hope it's actually like that because that is my ONLY concern with the PS3, the controller.

Wildbill3
12-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I have to say that I don't agree with the PC Comments. Pc may go into a lull now that the 360 is out, but the PC Is what drives the console, and if it wasn't for pc advancements, there is no way we would be talking about the 360 right now. A major advantage of the pc is customization. For instance, on madden 2006, I can completely edit anything in the game, from Ronnie Brown's shoe, all the way up to nick Saban's Coaching stats. If I wan't a player on my team, I don't have to change a thing in game, I use a utility, and boom! faster than madden can say "bounce it through the A-hole.." I have Randy moss catching passes from Peyton Manning... Finally I don't know how anybody could play something like Half life 2 on a console controller, if you love role playing and Fps games, there is nothing that can compare, and yes you can port games from the console to the pc, and vice versa, but if you port a game to the pc, you don't have to dumb it down, but if you port one from the Pc to a console? I shudder to think of all the jaggles the doom 3 has on a console...

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Revolution - Dear god Nintendo why? This company that I used to worship is now taking the Gamnecube to the next level. Nintendo's controller design has pretty much slapped all the developers, and gamers in the face saying screw you. Only Nintendo made games will be fun on this thing. When you buy a Revolution (which I think hardly describes it) you will be buying it to play first party games only. Nindendo also promises it to play all previos Nintendo games. Bull. Now they want to cash in on something we've been getting on the PC for free for years. I can almost guarantee that all of these retro titles will be over priced too. Hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it though, and they will continue to tell the gaming industry what we want, and they will continue to lose momentum. Unless the big N changes something huge... I honestly thing the Revolution will be Nintendo's last non-hand held console. Only the hardcore will buy the revolution, and it won't fly. I see it being distant 3rd place in the console wars and by 2011 I see Nintendo making Metroid for 360 and Zelda for PS3 (or something to that effect). Nobody wants to admit it, but Nintendo might just go the way of Sega.

lol at the controller comment I thought pretty much the same thing there was a collective WTF in my office when I sent the picture of the controller around lol. Zelda is the only reason I would buy this console, I don't mind the idea of being able to buy the old games though I have most of them (originals) but it'd be nice to have copies that worked and didn't require me having to plug in my old consoles just to play them.

I've been thinking Nintendo was going down for a long time, after only a month or so of the GC being out there were never any games other than cutesie japanese things that I couldn't care much about. Plus the redesign of Zelda into once again a cutesie game was a really bad idea imo.

Well, I think I got it all. Buy a 360 or wait on PS3? Both seem like safe bets. Both will be around for a while. I like games regardless of who makes them or what system they're on. To say something sucks just because you don't like the company that makes it is ignorant and very Jet's fan-like :lol:. Talk to me friends.

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

byroan
12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
I have to say that I don't agree with the PC Comments. Pc may go into a lull now that the 360 is out, but the PC Is what drives the console, and if it wasn't for pc advancements, there is no way we would be talking about the 360 right now. A major advantage of the pc is customization. For instance, on madden 2006, I can completely edit anything in the game, from Ronnie Brown's shoe, all the way up to nick Saban's Coaching stats. If I wan't a player on my team, I don't have to change a thing in game, I use a utility, and boom! faster than madden can say "bounce it through the A-hole.." I have Randy moss catching passes from Peyton Manning... Finally I don't know how anybody could play something like Half life 2 on a console controller, if you love role playing and Fps games, there is nothing that can compare, and yes you can port games from the console to the pc, and vice versa, but if you port a game to the pc, you don't have to dumb it down, but if you port one from the Pc to a console? I shudder to think of all the jaggles the doom 3 has on a console...

I agree. FPS on the PC are the best and having the editors for sports games are awesome. My PS2 hasn't been used in months now.

Wildbill3
12-02-2005, 01:42 AM
I agree. FPS on the PC are the best and having the editors for sports games are awesome. My PS2 hasn't been used in months now.granted, not everyone has the money to do so, but a console can only be cutting edge for one time... (see xbox...) but the pc can be cutting edge every six months. Games can be patched, modded, new mods come out that can completely change the game, oh, and lets not forget emu's...

byroan
12-02-2005, 01:47 AM
granted, not everyone has the money to do so, but a console can only be cutting edge for one time... (see xbox...) but the pc can be cutting edge every six months. Games can be patched, modded, new mods come out that can completely change the game, oh, and lets not forget emu's...

:yes:

I've got every rom/emu from the old days on my comp. They're still fun to play after all these years.

mor911
12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Remember guys, I'm not saying next year PC gaming will be obsolete... I'm sayin in the next decade or so, consoles will be able to do all of these things you guys like on the PC, plus developers will shy away from it because financially it's more stable to create a product on a console.

As far as mouse and keyboards, it's already in place for consoles to use them. Hell, the Xbox 360 can use any standard keyboard and mouse.... Wired or wireless.

dolphan117
12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
As too the X box being a distant second in sales- You may be right wouldwide because it hasnt done well in asia but I beleive it started outselling the ps2 about six months ago here in the US. I read that in Gamepro I think but maby Sony made a comeback. The reason given for not doing well in the asian markets was the size of the X Box, its one of the reasons that they redesigned the 360.

Predaphin
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
WOW, hopefully that is really like that because the impression I got from the pics of it were that the handles would go all the way down to my elbows, lollol. That looks MUCH better, and more comfortable than the current PS controller. Let's hope it's actually like that because that is my ONLY concern with the PS3, the controller.

I agree, and if anything... They should make the old controllers compatible as well (kinda of like the PS1 and PS2 controller capability happened) ....that way if people are uncomfortable with the new controls, they can always bust out the old one....

Cause I can't imagine a more comfortable controller then the one PS2 has right now....but I only say that cause I haven't held a new PS3 controller.

FinsNCanes
12-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Gamecube did one thing right and that was Smash Bros Melee.

I also don't think PC gaming will come to an end anytime soon. Everyone has a PC (not all have the power to play some of these games) and if you realize how big the damn MMORPG community is you know that PC gaming won't die out anytime soon. I could see millions of suicides if someone took away some of these guys MMORPG.

Talos
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
woah.. when did the mor learn to think?

This must be the kind of thing he used to get that promotion!

finfansince72
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
PC gaming isnt going to decline. Online PC games are doing great, the FPS are still better on the PC and the higher end PCs still blow away any console. Possibly in the longrun this will change but I doubt it. You cant build a console that is as powerful, if you did it would be 2000 and at that point youd buy a pc. I love video games, always have and I rarely play a console, the PC games are so much better IMO.

Blitz
12-09-2005, 11:35 PM
The Mor = FinHeaven's Coolest Member

I haven't followed gaming closely in a long time, but I agree with everything you've said.

Too many people are ripping off PC games, it's incredibly easy to do, etc. I can see the demise of PC gaming happening like you do. Like you said, it's all about making money, and it sure looks like consoles are just going to keep getting more and more profitable as the years go on, while the PC market will continue to decline until it goes the way of Atari, so to speak...

I've really got nothing to say about Sony or Microsoft. The 360 is selling well, and I'm sure the PS3 will sell just as well, if not better...

I grew up with Nintendo, and it's sad to see how far downhill they've gone the past few years. Honestly, Nintendo has been acting weird for the last ten years or so. It seems they haven't been on the ball ever since they decided to stick to the catridge format with the Nintendo 64. I hope the Revolution will be as revolutionary as Nintendo claims it will be (Gaming has become stale IMO - it's just more of the same with better graphics nowadays), but I doubt it will be anywhere near as amazing and innovative as the original Nintendo was when it came out twenty years ago...

finfansince72
12-10-2005, 02:59 AM
Console games are easy to ripoff as well, I can get a 200gb hardrive filled with any console game I want here in Korea. People said the samethings when everyone started downloading music, etc, the companies still make tons of money. Also, the games are evolving into a lot of online games with monthly fees. You might be able to pirate the game but you still have to pay $10-15 a month to play them, the initial sale of the disc is just a bonus.

mor911
12-10-2005, 03:21 AM
The Mor = FinHeaven's Coolest Member
LMAO

It's awesome to see that people actually listen to The Mor. Seriously though, That's an awesome compliment. :D

thestern
12-11-2005, 03:26 AM
I agree with most everything the Mor has said. I would like to add to what he has said about nintendo.
Nintendo was a great company and still very much could be if they would go back and do one thing... compete.

Nintendo has openly admitted that they don't care they arn't number 1 in the market. This as a nintendo
fan makes me very uncomfortable. If a company doesn't care about the competition then they don't care about
the gamers as well. A company or even a person who doesn't strive to be better than their opponent does not
become stronger but becomes weaker.

A few months back just before E3 Mor and I had an argument about nintendo. The argument was that nintendo didn't
look like it wasn't going to compete with the ps3 and the 360. Mor was saying that nintendo was putting to
much attention torward the controller and it sounded to gimicky. My argument was that it HAD to be something
amazing it just HAD to be. I went on to say, "Think about it this way. Sony and Microsoft will still be around
if the PS3 or 360 flops. These companies though make tons of money in the video game market do not soley rely
on it to maintain themselfs. Nintendo however does and it's only real market is videogames.

At the time my point seemed to be well made but, I guess I have egg on my face now. Nintendo is relying on a
gimick of a controller that could have been a add on periphial later. Not something that forces the gamers
and developers to use and to which the entire console is based around. It's just ridiculous.

Nintendo and many other gamers may say graphics arn't everything and this is a true innovation of gameplay,
that may be true. However graphics definately plays a very important role. Lets not forget that our favorite
hobby consists of two words VIDEO and GAMES. Nintendo does want gameplay to evolve which is noble but to
downplay the graphical power of the ps3 and 360 is hypocritical since they are in a business where graphics
and video play a key role.

And as for the console "WARs" that's pretty much as war between Sony, MS and Nintendo not us. It's okay for
people to have their favorites. Nintendo fan? that's great Sony Fan? awsome! MS fan? freakin cool! My point is
people need to grow up a bit. The people I'm talking about know who they are. It's just dumb to go into thread for
example: 360 Perfect Dark Zero Gameplay tips: and see a post that says

'360 will suxorz just wizait for a PS3 and get Killzone 2.'

Two things are wrong with this comment, 1 it's off topic and 2 maybe these people don't give 2 craps about PS3 or killzone 2.
It would make more sense to make a Killzone PS3 thread and discuss you anticipation rather than harp on someone elses preference.
I'm not trying to sound superior I would just like to enter a discussion thread and discuss the topic rather than reading a off topic
rant. I'm sure most people feel that way as well.

To add to my earlier comment of the console 'wars' and nintendo I honestly would like nintendo to drop out and make software only as sad
and painful as it is to say. Honestly I like competiton but to much of it can be annoying. Spreading games out amongst three consoles is
to expensive and annoying. The world only needs two console at a time not three.

Megatron
12-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Remember guys, I'm not saying next year PC gaming will be obsolete... I'm sayin in the next decade or so, consoles will be able to do all of these things you guys like on the PC, plus developers will shy away from it because financially it's more stable to create a product on a console.

As far as mouse and keyboards, it's already in place for consoles to use them. Hell, the Xbox 360 can use any standard keyboard and mouse.... Wired or wireless.Strategy games, MMORPG's, Puzzle games, and the like will always have a place on the PC. Frankly sometimes I wonder why anyone in their right mind would spend a penny on a console when they have a perfectly good computer sitting right there.:shakeno: