PDA

View Full Version : Question About T-shirt/Poster Making

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 08:55 PM
How would I go about making a poster, or a t-shirt with my own work in photoshop. Not familiar at all with either of these things and I think I would like to try it.

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 08:58 PM
What do you need to know?
For t-shirts you need special glue paper which isn't too hard to find
For posters you'll need the right size paper

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
What do you need to know?
For t-shirts you need special glue paper which isn't too hard to find
For posters you'll need the right size paper

Wouldn't you need a special printer too, and doesn't the iron on stuff for t-shirts look crappy. I thought it would involve blowing up an image and taking it to some store or something, and would the image get pixelated? I mean like posters and tshirts you would buy at the store.

ILPhinFan88
12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Wouldn't you need a special printer too, and doesn't the iron on stuff for t-shirts look crappy. I thought it would involve blowing up an image and taking it to some store or something, and would the image get pixelated? I mean like posters and tshirts you would buy at the store.

Nope a inkjet printer will do, if its a good pic the shirt will look fine. My daughter has done this in her computer class at school. She made a really nice soccer shirt.

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 09:10 PM

ok, taking the image to a store and getting done is always an option I thought you were talking about doing it yourself at home... ;)

Always make your images the right height and width (preferably bigger if anything), 300dpi and CMYK for best print results. The place you take it to may have other specifications but they'll only be to make the image smaller unless you're printing a billboard lol eg: they may only require a 200dpi file. They may also have a height and width limit for images like www.cafepress.com does.

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 09:21 PM
:lol: I'm getting exicted reading that, so what are some other places taht do that enlarging and printing and stuff and do you know anything about copyright laws.

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
:lol: I'm getting exicted reading that, so what are some other places taht do that enlarging and printing and stuff and do you know anything about copyright laws.

I don't know of any stores (other than cafepress) as I haven't really looked around for it. They're out there though, a search on google should find you some good places, they should also give you the specs you'll need.

As for copyright I wouldn't take anything that is copyrighted to a store, chances are they may not print it as they'd get in trouble too. If you're looking to use it to make money then you'll have to stay far far away from anything that's copyrighted, trademarked etc...

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't know of any stores (other than cafepress) as I haven't really looked around for it. They're out there though, a search on google should find you some good places, they should also give you the specs you'll need.

As for copyright I wouldn't take anything that is copyrighted to a store, chances are they may not print it as they'd get in trouble too. If you're looking to use it to make money then you'll have to stay far far away from anything that's copyrighted, trademarked etc...

So like I couldn't use pictures of Dolphin's players unless I took them myself or if someone who hadn't copyrighted them took them, so I couldn't use like cbs.sportslines pictures? And I couldnt use the Dolphins logo? Not planning on selling them yet... What do you think would be a good phrase to google search, I can't really think how to word it. Thanks for the all help,:lol: glad you semi-know the topic cause others dont seem to.

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 10:53 PM
So like I couldn't use pictures of Dolphin's players unless I took them myself or if someone who hadn't copyrighted them took them, so I couldn't use like cbs.sportslines pictures? And I couldnt use the Dolphins logo? Not planning on selling them yet... What do you think would be a good phrase to google search, I can't really think how to word it. Thanks for the all help,:lol: glad you semi-know the topic cause others dont seem to.

lol no probs, it's my job ;)

Try tshirt printing or poster printing... you'll probably find a whole heap of expensive places but there should be some good deals if you search for them.

You wouldn't be allowed to sell anything that related to the dolphins ie that used any of the players or the logo without prior consent... Not sure of the exact specifics but you'll have to check their copyright and the basic stuff regarding copyright in the US.

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
So can these places blow up pictures without getting them pixelated? It seems like it would get pixelated, and that would make it pretty much impossible for me to make a poster in photoshop because of the lack of big enough pictures of for instance Ronnie Brown. Get what I'm saying?

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah, unless the image was big enough to begin with it's going to be tricky to blow it up unless it's a vector image wich yuo won't find of Ronnie. You could use a colleciton of RB images to make the one poster. Otherwise I think you'll have to take the pic yourself with a nice and expensive camera or somehow find a super big image on the web.

How big were you wanting the poster to be?

dolphinfan2k5
12-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, unless the image was big enough to begin with it's going to be tricky to blow it up unless it's a vector image wich yuo won't find of Ronnie. You could use a colleciton of RB images to make the one poster. Otherwise I think you'll have to take the pic yourself with a nice and expensive camera or somehow find a super big image on the web.

How big were you wanting the poster to be?

Normal poster size :lol: whatever that would be. You know the big ones you see in the stores. Proabably will have to stick with the t-shirt stuff.

darkmistress
12-01-2005, 11:23 PM
yeah unless you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars to get a decent quality image I'd stick with the shirts... ;)

Buddwalk
12-02-2005, 12:30 AM
What do you need to know man im in my second year of graphic arts...I make tshirts with the emulsion and all :D

byroan
12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Here's a big picture of Ronnie.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ronniegivinglove3mf.jpg)

Or you could look at it as a big picture with Ronnie in it. :lol:

dolphinfan2k5
12-03-2005, 11:05 PM
I have a question about copyright. If I downloaded the font that Miami Dolphins is written on in the Dolphins logo. (kinda hard to explain). And then in photoshop I wrote "Miami Dolphins" so it looks like the logo, is it copyright infringement because it looks like their's?

Logo (http://www.sportslogos.net/images/Football/NFL/MIA_874.gif)

Mine (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/dolphinfan2k3/DolphinsText.jpg)

SkapePhin
12-04-2005, 12:08 AM
If you are any good at Flash or Illustrator you could submit some designs to Threadless.com and possibly make some money. :)

I think there is a limit of 3 colors though, so it can get tricky.. Thats why using Photoshop is not recommended.

dolphinfan2k5
12-04-2005, 01:20 AM
If you are any good at Flash or Illustrator you could submit some designs to Threadless.com and possibly make some money. :)

I think there is a limit of 3 colors though, so it can get tricky.. Thats why using Photoshop is not recommended.

Nope don't even have those I don't think. Anyone know the copyright thing?

Buddwalk
12-04-2005, 02:31 AM

off topic but damn nice sigs skape :D