PDA

View Full Version : UGH!!!!! Castillo Traded for Prospects!

TerryTate
12-02-2005, 05:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245065

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

DonShula84
12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Thought I read something that they would probably keep him, guess the team changed its mind.

MikeO
12-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Seriously..........what's gonna be the OVER/UNDER on wins for the Marlins next year?

50?

FinsNYanksFan13
12-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Seriously..........what's gonna be the OVER/UNDER on wins for the Marlins next year?

50?

Yeah and Dontrelle will have 30 of them and will be second on the team in homers and RBI's! :lol:

MikeO
12-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah and Dontrelle will have 30 of them and will be second on the team in homers and RBI's! :lol:

To go off on a rant, this is why you will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER see a salary cap in baseball.

Unlike the NFL, there is a fear that you will get some crazy owner like the Marlins guy or the Royals giu who even with a cap would pull stunts like this and defeate the whole purpose of a cap and just get rid of everyone and only spend about 1/9th of the cap. Which is why the players union fights tooth and nail against a cap.

DonShula84
12-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Hopefully LoDuca gets traded, I feel bad that he's stuck on that team now. Still better than the Dodgers though

SuavePhin
12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Curious, but what happens when the Marlins are gone and moved to wherever it may be, are you going to follow them if they get moved? or once gone from S. Florida they're gone from your hearts? follow a new team?? Im not a Die Hard baseball fan so it wouldn't hurt me as much as the true followers, so i'd probably just go Yanks full time

Though i'd miss the Cardiac Fish and those fun WS runs :cry:

Dudeman
12-03-2005, 11:17 AM
To go off on a rant, this is why you will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER see a salary cap in baseball.

Unlike the NFL, there is a fear that you will get some crazy owner like the Marlins guy or the Royals giu who even with a cap would pull stunts like this and defeate the whole purpose of a cap and just get rid of everyone and only spend about 1/9th of the cap. Which is why the players union fights tooth and nail against a cap.

thats not the reason at all. There are too many big market clubs that would never accept it. The Yanks, Braves, Sox, Dodgers, etc would never allow it.

All they do is add a salary floor, much like they did in the NHL. You then force teams to spend money in a range of millions. Thats actually what they had talked about before they only added the luxury tax.

RWhitney014
12-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Thought I read something that they would probably keep him, guess the team changed its mind.

Yeah, if you read my last column, you would have read him. Indications at first were that they wanted to keep him, then there was a buzz that he would be unhappy if he was the only vet left, so then they traded him, and now he's saying that he was upset over being traded because Florida is his home. Confusing.

But I'm gonna miss him. This guy's been in our organization since 1992 and has worn the Marlins uni since 1997. Hard to believe he's gone, more than anyone else except for maybe Lowell, although we all knew he needed to go.

dob72
12-03-2005, 01:36 PM
thats not the reason at all. There are too many big market clubs that would never accept it. The Yanks, Braves, Sox, Dodgers, etc would never allow it.

All they do is add a salary floor, much like they did in the NHL. You then force teams to spend money in a range of millions. Thats actually what they had talked about before they only added the luxury tax.
so true mike is way off the players union fights tooth and nail againt the cap cuz they want the players to get as much money as possible

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 01:38 PM
good, this means next year we wont have to worry about Marlins Baseball in late September/October when they are ruining OUR stadium.

dob72
12-03-2005, 01:40 PM
good, this means next year we wont have to worry about Marlins Baseball in late September/October when they are ruining OUR stadium.
our stadium lol i bet u never even been there

phunwin
12-03-2005, 01:40 PM

In baseball, though, that would have to be a VERY wide range. The Yankees payroll is coming in around $200 million or so, while the Marlins will probably come in at $30 million. So even a ridiculously wide split like $50M - $150M would be hard for teams to manage, and that would still defeat the whole point of a cap/floor system.

We will not see a hard salary cap in baseball within the next 10 years. I don't like to say never, because who knows what will happen. But it's not happening anytime soon, if ever.

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 01:45 PM
our stadium lol i bet u never even been there

I've been there....never for a DOLPHINS game though. I went with about 8,000 Phillies fans, who totally outnumbered the fair weather fish fans, on a road trip in which we lost all 4 games of a 4 game set at pro-player to the Marlins. I went on a day with my uncle when there were no games being played and they let us in because we told them my uncles brother went to Cuse' with Csonka in the 60's. So....you'd be wrong

dob72
12-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Curious, but what happens when the Marlins are gone and moved to wherever it may be, are you going to follow them if they get moved? or once gone from S. Florida they're gone from your hearts? follow a new team?? Im not a Die Hard baseball fan so it wouldn't hurt me as much as the true followers, so i'd probably just go Yanks full time

Though i'd miss the Cardiac Fish and those fun WS runs :cry:
i doubt i'd care about the marlins that much when they move but its getting hard to be a baseball fan all together the payrolls are getting so out of hand that its just sickening

dob72
12-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I've been there....never for a DOLPHINS game though. I went with about 8,000 Phillies fans, who totally outnumbered the fair weather fish fans, on a road trip in which we lost all 4 games of a 4 game set at pro-player to the Marlins. I went on a day with my uncle when there were no games being played and they let us in because we told them my uncles brother went to Cuse' with Csonka in the 60's. So....you'd be wrong
i see so you've never been to UR stadium when the dolphins played

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
i see so you've never been to UR stadium when the dolphins played

OUR stadium in the general Dolphins contingency. Meaning the Dolphins FANS who support the TEAM who owns Dolphins STADIUM and leases it to the LOWLIFE, DISGUSTING, PATHETIC, GARBAGE FLORIDA MARLINS who couldn't GIVE free tickets away, give a bad name to sports fans EVERYWHERE and should leave not just FLORIDA but the entire PLANET that we know as EARTH. :lol:

dob72
12-03-2005, 01:58 PM
OUR stadium in the general Dolphins contingency. Meaning the Dolphins FANS who support the TEAM who owns Dolphins STADIUM and leases it to the LOWLIFE, DISGUSTING, PATHETIC, GARBAGE FLORIDA MARLINS who couldn't GIVE free tickets away, give a bad name to sports fans EVERYWHERE and should leave not just FLORIDA but the entire PLANET that we know as EARTH. :lol:
glad the dolphins have better fans that support there team like u even thou you've never been to UR staduim to see a game

dob72
12-03-2005, 02:03 PM
now do u consider the dolphin fans who also support the marlins LOWLIFE, DISGUSTING, PATHETIC, GARBAGE to
u know the guys who actully go to the dolphins games

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
glad the dolphins have better fans that support there team like u even thou you've never been to UR staduim to see a game

Yes because even for ME the supreme owner of Dolphin stadium it's very hard for me to find ways to travel down to Miami during the football season, because it is expensive and relatively FULL unlike the Marlins games. Though I do support my team each and every our of every day and have attended Dolphins games all over the northeastern part of this country.

dob72
12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes because even for ME the supreme owner of Dolphin stadium it's very hard for me to find ways to travel down to Miami during the football season, because it is expensive and relatively FULL unlike the Marlins games. Though I do support my team each and every our of every day and have attended Dolphins games all over the northeastern part of this country.
oh u just don't go to UR stadium

QB2RonnieTD23
12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
oh u just don't go to UR stadium

Nope....but then again, considering it looks like your a Marlins fan then neither do YOU :lol:

dob72
12-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Nope....but then again, considering it looks like your a Marlins fan then neither do YOU :lol:
i've been to UR staduim many times i support both the marlins and dolphins in UR staduim maybe one day i'll see u at UR staduim

RWhitney014
12-03-2005, 02:13 PM

You know, the ones who do show up on a regular basis are very good fans. I usually go to 15-30 games a year, and I see a lot of the same people over and over again. I guess every team has its core, but almost every stadium is empty when the team sucks.

dob72
12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
You know, the ones who do show up on a regular basis are very good fans. I usually go to 15-30 games a year, and I see a lot of the same people over and over again. I guess every team has its core, but almost every stadium is empty when the team sucks.
i always find it funny when those fans who actully go to the games are the one's being told how bad fans they are

RWhitney014
12-03-2005, 02:36 PM
i always find it funny when those fans who actully go to the games are the one's being told how bad fans they are

Indeed. It's just sad. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if there had been no Marlins to root for. Having them here has given me aspirations to achieve and memories and experiences to cherish. If it is time for them to move on, well, I had good timing to be a kid in South Florida and I'll still root for them wherever they go. I'll miss them badly, but their presence has really made my life a lot better and more pleasurable than what it would have been without them.

I expect condolence cards within a week.

MikeO
12-03-2005, 03:12 PM
i doubt i'd care about the marlins that much when they move but its getting hard to be a baseball fan all together the payrolls are getting so out of hand that its just sickening

Why do you care about the payrolls so much? The money coming out of your pocket?

phunwin
12-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Why do you care about the payrolls so much? The money coming out of your pocket?

Actually, in the long run, yes.

MikeO
12-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Actually, in the long run, yes.

actually no. It comes from TV deals. TV money runs everything.

RWhitney014
12-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Because in an ideal world, if each team's payroll was within a legitimate amount as the others', it would make for more competition and would eliminate the need for these "market corrections" (:rolleyes: ).

MikeO
12-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Because in an ideal world, if each team's payroll was within a legitimate amount as the others', it would make for more competition and would eliminate the need for these "market corrections" (:rolleyes: ).

But that is un-american. If MICROSOFT is a billion dollar company, should they cut payroll and stop revenue stream to let a competitor be closer to them?

MLB is a billion dollar industry, everyone is trying to win to turn a bigger profit. The only rule is there are no rules. If you can't afford to be competitive, then get the F' out of the market.

Just because OTHER sports have caps, doesnt mean MLB should have one. Everything ISN'T created equal and life isn't fair sometimes.

RWhitney014
12-03-2005, 03:52 PM
But that is un-american. If MICROSOFT is a billion dollar company, should they cut payroll and stop revenue stream to let a competitor be closer to them?

MLB is a billion dollar industry, everyone is trying to win to turn a bigger profit. The only rule is there are no rules. If you can't afford to be competitive, then get the F' out of the market.

Just because OTHER sports have caps, doesnt mean MLB should have one. Everything ISN'T created equal and life isn't fair sometimes.

Un-American?

Considering the fans of each market are the consituents of the league, and that the league couldn't exist, at least in its current form, without the folks who buy the tickets and the merchandise and the MLB.tv and the satellite radio and all the crap that goes along with it now, you'd think they'd want to please the fans of most, if not all, of the markets. It's not like the fans of the Yankees and Red Sox and Dodgers are going to stop coming if payrolls go down to, say, $120 million, but imagine what could happen if the Rockies, Pirates, and Devil Rays could be up to $70 consistently. I just think the league as a whole and all of its different parts have more to gain by being more equalized. Not every team has to be at a specific value of course, but you set a floor and a ceiling and over time bridge them to a $40 million difference or so, and it could really lift attendance.