PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a PSP...

FaninPatsyLand
12-03-2005, 12:37 AM
for those of you who already own one, is it worth the money? The system looks incredible, but the reviews I've read have been just average.

Advice and suggestions that anyone offers would be greatly appreciated. And what's the deal with the dead pixels I've read about?

Thanks again..

Caps
12-03-2005, 12:48 AM
If you travel a lot on planes and stuff, it's a must buy. If not, then you'd better be in love with some of the games it has to offer(Liberty City Stories) to buy one.

FaninPatsyLand
12-03-2005, 12:52 AM
If you travel a lot on planes and stuff, it's a must buy. If not, then you'd better be in love with some of the games it has to offer(Liberty City Stories) to buy one.

I don't travel very much, but it just looks like an incredible system. I did a search on this website for PSP and alot of the people seem to really like it.

It's just a ton of money, so I'm seriously debating it. Thanks for your response man, I appreciate the input.

Caps
12-03-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't travel very much, but it just looks like an incredible system. I did a search on this website for PSP and alot of the people seem to really like it.

It's just a ton of money, so I'm seriously debating it. Thanks for your response man, I appreciate the input.

Anytime.

ScottishFin
12-03-2005, 06:40 AM
go for it , great for me when im travelling on the train to work.

I would pass on Madden 06 , while it is a good game it is slow as hell to do anything

Dudeman
12-03-2005, 11:23 AM
for those of you who already own one, is it worth the money? The system looks incredible, but the reviews I've read have been just average.

Advice and suggestions that anyone offers would be greatly appreciated. And what's the deal with the dead pixels I've read about?

Thanks again..

I passed up asking for a 360 for XMas in favor of a PSP. There are just so many things that it does that it really got me interested. I've got a few trips coming up, but I plan to take it to work everyday to play during my lunch break.

About the dead pixels, just get an extended warranty from Bestbuy or something. Thats what I'm trying to do. Some of the gamestores and bestbuy offer a 2 year service plan, so if anything ever goes wrong with it, it gets replaced free of charge.

Plus, I've heard the online aspect for some of the games is simply awesome. (SoCom, etc)

FaninPatsyLand
12-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I passed up asking for a 360 for XMas in favor of a PSP. There are just so many things that it does that it really got me interested. I've got a few trips coming up, but I plan to take it to work everyday to play during my lunch break.

About the dead pixels, just get an extended warranty from Bestbuy or something. Thats what I'm trying to do. Some of the gamestores and bestbuy offer a 2 year service plan, so if anything ever goes wrong with it, it gets replaced free of charge.

Plus, I've heard the online aspect for some of the games is simply awesome. (SoCom, etc)

Thanks alot guys..

That's a great idea about the extended warranty.

By the way, do have to buy any additional items on top of the PSP in order to have the online aspect?

Dudeman
12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks alot guys..

That's a great idea about the extended warranty.

By the way, do have to buy any additional items on top of the PSP in order to have the online aspect?

yes, you either need a wireless router or something to make a hotspot from your broadband....

I'm looking at this....cheap, and broadcasts your modem signal without the need for a router...

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10314422&loc=101&sp=1&adid=17662

Agent51
12-03-2005, 09:31 PM

About the Best Buy warranty. When my original 1st shipment PS2 FINALLY broke down I went to go get a new slim one. It was around November of last year (the same week the new GTA came out) and Best Buy was the ONLY place around with any systems, new OR used, and they only had ONE left. SO I bring it up and they guy asks if I want the warranty, I said no at first because I had my original one from the day it was released (I was 2nd on the list at my local K B Toys) up until Nivember of 04 and never had any probs in that timeframe. Then the guy told me that the 2 year plan isn't just a warranty but it's also a certificate for $100 off of the PS3! All I have to do is bring back my warranty and it's good for $100 towards the PS3 when it comes out. Of course that was a selling point for me, lol, so now I have a 2 year warranty AND the PS3 will be $100 less for me when it finally comes out, doesn't get much better.

Dudeman
12-03-2005, 10:14 PM
About the Best Buy warranty. When my original 1st shipment PS2 FINALLY broke down I went to go get a new slim one. It was around November of last year (the same week the new GTA came out) and Best Buy was the ONLY place around with any systems, new OR used, and they only had ONE left. SO I bring it up and they guy asks if I want the warranty, I said no at first because I had my original one from the day it was released (I was 2nd on the list at my local K B Toys) up until Nivember of 04 and never had any probs in that timeframe. Then the guy told me that the 2 year plan isn't just a warranty but it's also a certificate for $100 off of the PS3! All I have to do is bring back my warranty and it's good for $100 towards the PS3 when it comes out. Of course that was a selling point for me, lol, so now I have a 2 year warranty AND the PS3 will be $100 less for me when it finally comes out, doesn't get much better.

holy crap, thats awesome!

In this day and age, with the high end electronics, a warranty is a must, especially for things like the PSP or anything with an LCD screen.

Dead pixels are a part of life for any LCD electronic, and when we bought a LCD TV for my dad's 50th last year, my mom got a 4 year warranty from best buy for only $100 extra. If ANYTHING for any reason goes wrong, its replaced, no questions asked.

The store clerk said that its almost a certainty that eventually the LCD screen would encounter dead pixels, and with the warranty, they'll actually come and pick up the TV and replace it. Hows that for service?

finfansince72
12-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I have a PSP I love it. I have to work nights sometimes and travel a bit so it comes in handy. I have a couple of memory cards with music on em to listen to MP3's and I have a few good movies to watch. The games are good too. Twisted Metal and Madden 06 get a lot of playing time for me. Madden can be frustrating because there are a lot of load times but the I like the graphics and gameplay. Its easilly the best handheld game system Ive played, nothing is even close to it.