PDA

View Full Version : FSU: 2005 ACC Champs!!

MelbournePhin
12-04-2005, 01:24 AM
beautiful

Philter25
12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Im soooo happy you guys knocked off tech! WOOOT! Seeya in the Orange Bowl. :lol:

Motion
12-04-2005, 01:30 AM
So sad

Caps
12-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Miami: Best record in the ACC but gets shafted as usual!

MikeO
12-04-2005, 08:36 AM

How were they shafted? They lost at home to GT!!!!!!!!

cnc66
12-04-2005, 08:47 AM

...if we don't get it done there is no complaining. No only did we lose at home to a chump team but we also lost to the team who is now champion. Maybe Coker will have our squad ready to play next time instead of letting them daydream about a National Championship they didn't deserve. Personally, we should sit our losin' azzes home and contemplate the proper playing of Hurricane football.... and a coach that will settle for nothing less than a National Championship.

Muck
12-04-2005, 09:55 AM

Hey, it's the equivalent of the AFC East (usually). We're in a tough division. FSU is in a weaker division. Somebody had to have VT in their division. Naturally it's ours because of the rivalry. We wanted to play in the ACC, and we got what we wanted.

If Miami had taken care of business against GT, we wouldn't be discussing this. It's nobody's fault but our own. If we want to play for the national championship, we gotta take care of teams like GT. And it's not FSU's fault that they got their **** together and beat the hell out of VT. VT was a heavy favorite in that game.

Does kind of suck that a team with 4 losses will be playing in the second most prestigious bowl of the year (Orange Bowl, Jan. 3). But I love the conference championship game format. And again, we beat GT (or FSU week 1) and it's a moot point.

Caps
12-04-2005, 09:55 AM
The system is flawed, thats all I'm saying. It's not like I think we deserve to be national champions, but the fact of the matter is that the two best teams in the ACC didn't play last night.

Muck
12-04-2005, 10:09 AM
The system is flawed, thats all I'm saying. It's not like I think we deserve to be national champions, but the fact of the matter is that the two best teams in the ACC didn't play last night.

The only way to fix what happened last night is to get rid of the divisions within the conference. Every conference that plays a championship game does it that way (divisions).

OT: Can anyone tell me why LSU and not Auburn faced UGA in the SEC title game last night?? Auburn was 7-1 in the conference while LSU was 6-2. Was it because LSU had 1 loss overall and Auburn had 2??

EDIT: Nevermind. I was reading the records wrong. They had identical conference records and LSU owned the tiebreaker.

Caps
12-04-2005, 10:18 AM
The only way to fix what happened last night is to get rid of the divisions within the conference. Every conference that plays a championship game does it that way (divisions).

That would be fine by me. I'm for an overhaul of the entire system, including conference play.

Philter25
12-04-2005, 12:32 PM
For those of you Miamians who dont like it, you cant blame FSU. The won the game they needed to win. Is the system flawed? Absolutely. However every team plays under the same flawed system. They might have had an advantage playing in the weaker conference, but that doesnt matter because they beat Tech in the conference championship game. If Miami beat Georgia Tech or FSU the first game of the season, it would be a different story.

Does FSU deserve to be in a BCS game? Absolutely not. They won their way in taking advantage of a flawed system, the same system the entire NCAA plays under. If the "better" teams in the ACC just won the games they needed to win, it would be a different story. However it isnt.

If anything, use this as ammo as to why the BCS contract should NOT be renewed in 2007. The ACC IMO outdid (in a negative way) the Big East this year. :lol: That is a feat in itself.

Nappy Roots
12-04-2005, 01:15 PM

You have the best record in the ACC? you might wanna check that stat out again.

IM LOVING LIFE RIGHT NOW! I fully expected to get blown out, but our Defense played like we did at the beginning of the year. Damn im so happy.:D

MelbournePhin
12-04-2005, 01:48 PM

IM LOVING LIFE RIGHT NOW! I fully expected to get blown out, but our Defense played like we did at the beginning of the year. Damn im so happy.:D

i had no doubt that we would win this game. should have dropped 500 on the game with FSU getting 14.

MikeO
12-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Enjoying life in the ACC......:rofl3: :rofl3: :lol:

Get used to it!

Caps
12-04-2005, 07:21 PM

Miami and VT both have two losses, but we beat them. FSU has four losses. The Hurricanes have the best record in the ACC.

MikeO
12-04-2005, 10:14 PM
If anything, use this as ammo as to why the BCS contract should NOT be renewed in 2007. The ACC IMO outdid (in a negative way) the Big East this year. :lol: That is a feat in itself.

The BCS isn't up in 2007. IT is moving to FOX with ABC only keeping the Rose Bowl.It's up in like 2011 now I believe.

Philter25
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
The BCS isn't up in 2007. IT is moving to FOX with ABC only keeping the Rose Bowl.It's up in like 2011 now I believe.

Huh? I thought the format was up in 2007? Did something happen in the past few weeks that I totally missed? :confused:

MikeO
12-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Huh? I thought the format was up in 2007? Did something happen in the past few weeks that I totally missed? :confused:

I believe it was last year where they re-upped it. Next year the BCS moves to FOX.

FOX has the national championship game for 3 years, then the ROSE BOWL year it is on ABC. I think its up in 2011.

MikeO
12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Here is an older link.....

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=71

2007-2009 its on FOX. Then in 2010 the Rose Bowl is on ABC.

Philter25
12-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Gross. The BCS must have updated their website recently. I could have sworn last month they only had the schedule listed until 2007...... :confused:

Nappy Roots
12-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Miami and VT both have two losses, but we beat them. FSU has four losses. The Hurricanes have the best record in the ACC.

VT has more wins. :idea: so there for VT still has the best record there big guy.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Ahh well so much for the Big East not deserving a BCS Bowl Bid.
Going 10-1 and losing only to a top 10 rated team that used to be in the Big East.

I am from WV and love my WVU football team. The ACC could not have played
out better for us. Tired of hearing bout the sorry USF team that could have
went to the BCS, to bad the really are bettet then FSU.

Ahh well guess more is to come after the bowl games. Of course WVU will get
trounced and does not deserve to play in a BCS game... or well maye FSU will
win and show how awesomely great the ACC really is......

Anyways GO WVU !!!
GO louisville beat whoever the ACC sends.

Yep all the comentators were right the big east does suck.....
WE WILL SEE!

Go Phins!

Cuban Dave 9
12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
The Canes think they have it bad??? We beat the seminoles...Correction...We killed the seminoles the week before and have the better record yet we are stuck in the platano maduro bowl.

P.S. Notice how the Gators are 2-0 against BCS teams

Philter25
12-05-2005, 11:55 AM
P.S. Notice how the Gators are 2-0 against BCS teams

How are they against non BCS teams? ;)

brech10
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
A couple Miami fans in this post are doing a nice job of twisting and turning things but there is a bottom line here:

FSU is the ACC champions. FSU gets the BCS bid and the millions of dollars that it brings.

Caps
12-05-2005, 06:04 PM
FSU gets the BCS bid and the millions of dollars that it brings.

Actually, the money is spread evenly between all ACC teams. So all you have to be happy about is a soon to be 5 loss season. Congratulations:clap:

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 04:03 AM
boo hoo

the noles won the ACC fair and square. i wasn't shocked at all when they beat vatech. i know everyone is acting like it was some david vs. goliath thing, but vick has already shown that he is a complete buffoon and panics when he's pressured at all, and that's something FSU could do. FSU may have 4 losses, but they won the games that mattered, something miami couldn't do, and now they're in the peach bowl. tough break

i rooted for the noles to win this game, but now i want them to get absolutely slaughtered by PSU

Caps
12-07-2005, 10:29 AM
boo hoo

the noles won the ACC fair and square. i wasn't shocked at all when they beat vatech. i know everyone is acting like it was some david vs. goliath thing, but vick has already shown that he is a complete buffoon and panics when he's pressured at all, and that's something FSU could do. FSU may have 4 losses, but they won the games that mattered, something miami couldn't do, and now they're in the peach bowl. tough break

i rooted for the noles to win this game, but now i want them to get absolutely slaughtered by PSU

Hey, he's back!

Anyway, tell me with a straight face that the two best ACC teams played in the championship. I'm not bitter, I wanted the Noles to win the game. If anything FSU's BCS bid will open up some eyes about how flawed the college system is. I want the system overhauled, I want the best teams to play each other. And if the Canes aren't one of those two teams in any given year, then you won't hear a peep out of me. Again, I want the best to play, is that so wrong?

Motion
12-07-2005, 11:58 AM
boo hoo

can't wait to see FSU get slaughtered by vatech

Interesting

nyjunc
12-07-2005, 12:55 PM
FSU won the title game and deservs its ACC Championship, when they decided to expand and try to ruin ACC basketball this was the way they wanted to determin a Champion so FSU earned it.

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Interesting
well, i meant i predicted them to get beat by vatech. but don't get me wrong, i wasn't rooting for FSU to win like i root for miami to win. if FSU was raped by vatech, i wouldn't have been upset at all. i'd just rather have a game with bowden/paterno hype than nothing but marcus vick hype

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, he's back!

Anyway, tell me with a straight face that the two best ACC teams played in the championship. I'm not bitter, I wanted the Noles to win the game. If anything FSU's BCS bid will open up some eyes about how flawed the college system is. I want the system overhauled, I want the best teams to play each other. And if the Canes aren't one of those two teams in any given year, then you won't hear a peep out of me. Again, I want the best to play, is that so wrong?
um....it's called two divisions in the conference. this happens in every single sport. sometimes a better team will be left out because another team won their division. no, it wasn't the two best teams in the ACC, but it's about who won their divisions, not about the two best teams. FSU won theirs, and miami blew it by losing to gatech

Caps
12-07-2005, 06:12 PM
um....it's called two divisions in the conference. this happens in every single sport. sometimes a better team will be left out because another team won their division. no, it wasn't the two best teams in the ACC, but it's about who won their divisions, not about the two best teams. FSU won theirs, and miami blew it by losing to gatech

I'm not stupid, I know how the ACC is set up and why FSU got into the championship game instead of the Canes. The diference between you and me seems to be that you're happy to just blindly follow the flawed path that the NCAA and the BCS have placed before you, instead of trying to engender change for the better. If I'm wrong, then by all means correct me, but that's what you're making it sound like.

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm not stupid, I know how the ACC is set up and why FSU got into the championship game instead of the Canes. The diference between you and me seems to be that you're happy to just blindly follow the flawed path that the NCAA and the BCS have placed before you, instead of trying to engender change for the better. If I'm wrong, then by all means correct me, but that's what you're making it sound like.
it's not the way the NCAA is. it's the way EVERY SPORT in this country is setup. winning the division/conference takes precident over anything, and rightfully so. miami should've beat gatech so they wouldn't be on the outside complaining about things

Caps
12-07-2005, 07:42 PM
it's not the way the NCAA is. it's the way EVERY SPORT in this country is setup. winning the division/conference takes precident over anything, and rightfully so. miami should've beat gatech so they wouldn't be on the outside complaining about things

True, but it also works exponentially better in every sport but college football. In the NFL, you play every team in your division twice, and there's a wildcard. In MLB, you play everyone multiple times, including those in your division, and theres a wildcard. In the NBA, you play everyone multiple times, and more than half the league gets into the postseason. In the NCAA, you play 11 games and play everyone once. The top teams in each conference almost never play in the conference championship game, and the top 8 teams almost never play in the BCS bowls. That's not right, and it's something I, and every fair-minded person should want changed.

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
that's why college football is better than any sport. every single game is EXTREMELY important. i want nothing to do with a playoff

MelbournePhin
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
fsu is gonna carry momentum into the PSU game. we will win

cnc66
12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Boog called it the Orange Metemusal Bowl today...

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 09:18 PM
btw, it's gonna be a terrible game. it's amazing how much hype is going into the paterno/bowden thing, when neither has much to do with how the game turns out

Caps
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
that's why college football is better than any sport. every single game is EXTREMELY important. i want nothing to do with a playoff

Or not, seeing how FSU, a team that wasn't ranked a week ago, is going to a BCS bowl.

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Or not, seeing how FSU, a team that wasn't ranked a week ago, is going to a BCS bowl.
they won the games that mattered, as i said, something miami couldn't do

Caps
12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
they won the games that mattered, as i said, something miami couldn't do

Get off the Miami kick. I'm debating the validity of a system that you refuse to admit is flawed, not the sucess/failure of the hurricanes season. FSU didn't deserve to be in the ACC game, and it doesn't deserve to go to a BCS bowl, if it was any other team I would be saying the same exact thing.

kastofsna120
12-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Get off the Miami kick. I'm debating the validity of a system that you refuse to admit is flawed, not the sucess/failure of the hurricanes season. FSU didn't deserve to be in the ACC game, and it doesn't deserve to go to a BCS bowl, if it was any other team I would be saying the same exact thing.
wrong

Caps
12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
wrong

You make zero sense. :goodnight

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 09:58 AM

It's why CFB is a joke, there are only a handful of teams that can win a title in any year and it's almost impossible if you aren't a top 10 team in the preseason polls to climb up even if you are beter than certain teams and each team only plays about 2 maybe 3 tough games while the rest are cupcakes. CFB would be great if they determined a true Champion w/ a playoff system.

Philter25
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
It's why CFB is a joke, there are only a handful of teams that can win a title in any year and it's almost impossible if you aren't a top 10 team in the preseason polls to climb up even if you are beter than certain teams and each team only plays about 2 maybe 3 tough games while the rest are cupcakes. CFB would be great if they determined a true Champion w/ a playoff system.

Really? PSU wasnt ranked preseason and was 1 second away from being #2 in the BCS.

What the preseason polls help is the TOP ranked teams. Halfway through the season, Texas should have been #1 for a few weeks but because USC was preseason #1, its next to impossible for them to fall until they lose. However in the grand scheme of things that point is moot because Texas and USC are in the BCS championship so it really doesnt matter who was 1 or 2 coming into it.

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Really? PSU wasnt ranked preseason and was 1 second away from being #2 in the BCS.

What the preseason polls help is the TOP ranked teams. Halfway through the season, Texas should have been #1 for a few weeks but because USC was preseason #1, its next to impossible for them to fall until they lose. However in the grand scheme of things that point is moot because Texas and USC are in the BCS championship so it really doesnt matter who was 1 or 2 coming into it.

Even had they beat Michigan and been undefeated they still would not have climbed past texas which makes CFB a joke. It should be decided on the field and not in the polls.

Philter25
12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Even had they beat Michigan and been undefeated they still would not have climbed past texas which makes CFB a joke. It should be decided on the field and not in the polls. Oh yes they would have. They might not have been ahead in the polls, but their SOS would have had them #2 in the BCS rankings and thats all that matters.

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh yes they would have. They might not have been ahead in the polls, but their SOS would have had them #2 in the BCS rankings and thats all that matters.

PSU did not exactly have a brutal sched, they had 1 somewhat tough road game and lost it. They beat OSU at home while UT beat them on the road, I do not believe PSU would have climbed past UT even if they had beaten a mediocre Mich team on the road.

kastofsna120
12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
top 5 teams in the big 12:

texas
texas tech
oklahoma
colorado
iowa state

top 3 teams in the big 10:

penn state
ohio state
wisconsin
iowa
michigan

which 5 would you rather schedule?

Mindwarp
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM

dude how is it flawed? you lost 2 acc games VT lost 1 acc game thats why they went.

oh its flawed cause it doesnt work in UM favor? FSU lost 4 games sure. but it won the games it had to get into the championship game.

next time if your gonan lost 2 games dont make them ACC games.

just like in the NFL the Dolphins missed the playoffs one year with a 10-6 record and the ravens went with something like 9-7 Why? cause they won there confrence. and we didnt.

MelbournePhin
12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
dude how is it flawed? you lost 2 acc games VT lost 1 acc game thats why they went.

oh its flawed cause it doesnt work in UM favor? FSU lost 4 games sure. but it won the games it had to get into the championship game.

just like in the NFL the Dolphins missed the playoffs one year with a 10-6 record and the ravens went with something like 9-7 Why? cause they won there confrence. and we didnt.

well said. cane fans crying about the situation is getting pathetic

Oboy
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
LOL...

First of all, as much as I think there could have been a "better" team than FSU in the ACC champ game... That does not matter. The system was set up, they won enough of the games to get them to the champ game and made the big win. It happens in ALL conferences one year or another.

Back in '96 Texas pulled the upset of then unbeatable Nebraska. There was a year in the SEC when I think it was Bama came in as a huge under-dog and pulled the upset.

That is the BEAUTY of the championship games. That is why I still want a playoff. Same things would happen. Just because one team is undefeated and was playing the best in the beginning of the year does not mean they are the best team in the country at that time. Same arguement holds for conferences.

Caps
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM

Read my posts. I don't care about whether or not Miami gets a good deal. I care that EVERY team gets a FAIR deal in their conference and in the BCS. I'm not a Miami homer. How about this, I'll take Miami out of the equation entirely. Not including Miami, there are FOURTEEN teams ranked higher than FSU that do not get to go to a BCS bowl. How in the heck is that fair? And don't give me some "that's the way it is" bull. I want some common sense responses on why this system is fair.

Philter25
12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
PSU did not exactly have a brutal sched, they had 1 somewhat tough road game and lost it. They beat OSU at home while UT beat them on the road, I do not believe PSU would have climbed past UT even if they had beaten a mediocre Mich team on the road.

Actually, you can pretty much estimate. PSU is .06 points behind Texas in the final BCS. Do you think 1 loss can overcome .06 points? Absolutely. There is no doubt in my mind that if PSU was undefeated they would be #2.

They play a MUCH harder schedule than Texas. They would have been ranked #2 in the polls and their SOS is harder so they would have been ranked higher in the final BCS standings.

I cant even believe you are going to debate this. PSU only played 3 teams this year that were NOT ranked in the top 25 at one point. The Big10 has 5 teams in the final top 25, and 2 teams in the top 5.

The Big12 has Texas and Texas Tech. Thats it. There is no way in hell Texas played a tougher schedule. :lol:

Wanna know who played the toughest schedule in college football this year according to the BCS computers? I'll give you a hint, it wasnt a Big12 team.

(Michigan......and more than half the other Big10 teams are in the top 10... PSU is #7 whereas Texas is #33 :D )

NorthFloridaFin
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Not including Miami, there are FOURTEEN teams ranked higher than FSU that do not get to go to a BCS bowl. How in the heck is that fair? And don't give me some "that's the way it is" bull. I want some common sense responses on why this system is fair.

Here's a good reason why!!!

Oregon finished #2 in their conference.
Notre Dame doesn't belong to a conference
Miami finished #3 in the ACC
Auburn finished #3 in the SEC
Va. Tech finished #2 in the ACC
LSU finished #2 in the SEC
Alabama finished #4 in the SEC
TCU plays in the Mountain West Conference ( Not a BCS conference)
Texas Tech finished #3 in the Big-12
UCLA finished #3 in the Pac-10
Florida finished #5 in the SEC
Wisconsin finished #3 in the Big-10
Louisville finished #2 in the Big East
Michigan finished #6 in the Big-10
Boston College finished #4 in the ACC

Do you see a trend, NONE OF THOSE TEAMS WON THEIR CONFERENCES!!! The BCS was set up so the Top-2 teams in the nation would square off for the National Championship, and the conference champions would be rewarded. I can't think of a better way to put it.