PDA

View Full Version : Planescape: Torment -- Old School PC review

mor911
12-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Planescape: Torment (PC)

Due to the lack of good games being released right now, The Mor has decided to delve back into the classics. The choice this time? The 1999 hit, Planescape: Torment.

Planescape: Torment (PST) was created by the genuises that brought us the Fallout series, and the Baldur's Gate series. As soon as you play PSC, you'll instantly be reminded of Baldur's Gate (BG) as they use the same game engine. As you progress into the game, you'll realize that story/gameplay wise... It's far more similar to Fallout.

PST is a CRPG (computer RPG). CRPG is the nickname given to old school PC RPGs that haven't been script ridden and are pretty open ended. Back in the 90s, the release of Final Fantasy (FF) changed what an RPG was for many people... CRPGs usually allow you to do whatever you want to some degree. Merchant's prices too high? Steal. Guy in town pissing you off? Kill him. PST allows you to do anything. This is both great and horrible at the same time. When a game is as open ended as this, you can easily get lost from the main quest on what to do to progress in the story. It takes a lot of thought to play PST, as with most CRPGs.

The graphics are excellent considering it was made in 1999, and it's completely 2D. The animations are smooth and cool, I love it.

The sounds are on par. There's no killer scores that you'll be humming to yourself at work, but the music is good. The voice overs are really cheesy, but doesn't bother you.

All in all, PST is a great game, and it is 100% recommended to any Fallout or BG fans. If you like the scripted storylines in Final Fantasy, this may not be the type of RPG for you.

9.1 of 10 Excellent!

Other links and reviews:
Review - http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/planescapetorment/review.html
Review - http://pc.ign.com/articles/159/159939p1.html
Screen Shots - http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/planescapetorment/screenindex.html
Screen Shots - http://media.pc.ign.com/media/009/009939/imgs_1.html

Wildbill3
12-05-2005, 08:13 AM
This kinda game never would've happened without the PC... I'm about to replay BGII myself.

Agent51
12-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Baulder's Gate, Diablo, Morrowind, those are the only RPGs I even consider playing, because you basically get to do what you want. I HATE HATE HATE the RPGs like FF and such where you walk around and suddenly you are in a fight, when you never even saw a bad guy, and then you just click on the bad guy and then scroll to the attack you want, those are the most boring videogames EVER in my opinion.

mor911
12-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Baulder's Gate, Diablo, Morrowind, those are the only RPGs I even consider playing, because you basically get to do what you want. I HATE HATE HATE the RPGs like FF and such where you walk around and suddenly you are in a fight, when you never even saw a bad guy, and then you just click on the bad guy and then scroll to the attack you want, those are the most boring videogames EVER in my opinion.
Dude, you have to play Planscape: Torment. It's freakin' great.

Agent51
12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Dude, you have to play Planscape: Torment. It's freakin' great.

It sounds cool, but I'm not a PC gamer, like AT ALL, lol. I played Baulder's Gate and Diablo on PS2 and Playstation respectively and Morrowind on XBox. If that game existed for PS2 or XBox I'd give it a shot, but I really never ever play computer games. It sounds pretty cool though, I'd prolly DL a demo if one existed, just to try it, but I wouldn't buy the game cuz I'd never play it. Sometimes I'll see a really cool looking computer game in EB or something and buy it, but I usually never even take it out of the shrinkwrap, lol, it just sits here forever cuz I never feel like playing a game on the computer.

Wildbill3
12-05-2005, 09:20 PM
It sounds cool, but I'm not a PC gamer, like AT ALL, lol. I played Baulder's Gate and Diablo on PS2 and Playstation respectively and Morrowind on XBox. If that game existed for PS2 or XBox I'd give it a shot, but I really never ever play computer games. It sounds pretty cool though, I'd prolly DL a demo if one existed, just to try it, but I wouldn't buy the game cuz I'd never play it. Sometimes I'll see a really cool looking computer game in EB or something and buy it, but I usually never even take it out of the shrinkwrap, lol, it just sits here forever cuz I never feel like playing a game on the computer.Those games for the PS2, and xbox? they don't hold a candle to the real thing. As I said in another thread, the strength of the PC game(s) isn't in the game that comes out of the box, it is in the mods. Try the Darkest day for BGII, and you'll see what I mean.

finfansince72
12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Played BGI, II and Planetscape, all were great. RPGs are just so much better on the PCs. I play WorldofWarcraft online now, its a blast. For me consoles are for sports games and some shooters, thats about it.
FF sucks. I played on of them on the advice of some friend that loved them. I hated the fights that you couldnt see coming and the animations of moves during the fights were cool-the first time u saw them. After that they just made the fights take 10 minutes. After a few days of suffering through 10minute fights(which especially sucked if you lost and had to do over) I threw the game out it disgusted me so much. I hate the whole series, wont touch em.

Agent51
12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Those games for the PS2, and xbox? they don't hold a candle to the real thing. As I said in another thread, the strength of the PC game(s) isn't in the game that comes out of the box, it is in the mods. Try the Darkest day for BGII, and you'll see what I mean.

Oh I know PCs are much more powerful and thus the games are better, the thing is I don't like the keyboard/mouse control thing on the computer, or sitting at the computer for hours playing games, I'm not a big gamer to begin with, especially RPGs, but I do like those. I'm not hardcore into them so I'm willing to sacrafice graphics and mods and such to be able to kick back on my couch and play on the big screen instead of sitting at my PC or playing on my laptop.

Wildbill3
12-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh I know PCs are much more powerful and thus the games are better, the thing is I don't like the keyboard/mouse control thing on the computer, or sitting at the computer for hours playing games, I'm not a big gamer to begin with, especially RPGs, but I do like those. I'm not hardcore into them so I'm willing to sacrafice graphics and mods and such to be able to kick back on my couch and play on the big screen instead of sitting at my PC or playing on my laptop.I'll take a picture of my setup, and you tell me if you would or wouldn't want to play Pc games all day.... :lol:

Agent51
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
I'll take a picture of my setup, and you tell me if you would or wouldn't want to play Pc games all day.... :lol:

I'm sure if I was more of a gamer then I would invest money into making my PC setup more comfortable for gaming, but I just don't play that much aside from sports games, which I like better on the consoles (PS2 mainly). I already have a very high-end PC setup because I do a lot of graphic design work and I also make my own surf videos and edit videos for friends. This is my setup:

the base PC model is a Dell XPS 600 but I ordered it custom so here are the specs:

Processor: Pentium Extreme Edition Dual Core with Hyper Threading (3.2GHz)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 3 500 GB HDs
CD Drive: 48x CD RW drive
DVD Drive: 16x Lightscribe DVD RW drive
Other Drive: 13 in 1 media card reader
Video Card: Dual 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
Sound Card: SoundBlaster X-Fi
Monitor: Dell 26" LCD TV
Speakers: Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround System (500 watts)

I'm sure I could buy a controller I like and have a pretty sweet gaming setup with all that (when I was building it it was classified as a "gaming rig") but I just don't like computer gaming. I'd still rather sit in front of my living room's setup (including brand new Pioneer Elite 50") where it is much more comfortable AND bigger, louder, etc etc, lol.

Wildbill3
12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm sure if I was more of a gamer then I would invest money into making my PC setup more comfortable for gaming, but I just don't play that much aside from sports games, which I like better on the consoles (PS2 mainly). I already have a very high-end PC setup because I do a lot of graphic design work and I also make my own surf videos and edit videos for friends. This is my setup:

the base PC model is a Dell XPS 600 but I ordered it custom so here are the specs:

Processor: Pentium Extreme Edition Dual Core with Hyper Threading (3.2GHz)
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 3 500 GB HDs
CD Drive: 48x CD RW drive
DVD Drive: 16x Lightscribe DVD RW drive
Other Drive: 13 in 1 media card reader
Video Card: Dual 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
Sound Card: SoundBlaster X-Fi
Monitor: Dell 26" LCD TV
Speakers: Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround System (500 watts)

I'm sure I could buy a controller I like and have a pretty sweet gaming setup with all that (when I was building it it was classified as a "gaming rig") but I just don't like computer gaming. I'd still rather sit in front of my living room's setup (including brand new Pioneer Elite 50") where it is much more comfortable AND bigger, louder, etc etc, lol.why don't you build a SFF PC, and set it up as a media center that hooks up to your 50"? that is what I have (well 42 plasma...) get a wireless KB, Mouse, and a wireless logitech rumblepad (exactly like a playstation controller) then you could record live tv, play dvds with 7.1 surround sound, play your mp3s burn dvds, play sports games, play roms, and anything else you can think of, and when you get tired of that? surf finheaven from your couch. :D

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/5610147101JPG-1.jpg

Agent51
12-08-2005, 12:19 PM
why don't you build a SFF PC, and set it up as a media center that hooks up to your 50"? that is what I have (well 42 plasma...) get a wireless KB, Mouse, and a wireless logitech rumblepad (exactly like a playstation controller) then you could record live tv, play dvds with 7.1 surround sound, play your mp3s burn dvds, play sports games, play roms, and anything else you can think of, and when you get tired of that? surf finheaven from your couch. :D

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/5610147101JPG-1.jpg

If I were more into computer gaming I would probably do that but I mean I can do all that now with my current PC, just not from the couch and on a 26" widescreen instead of 50", lol. I have a DVR through my digital cable provider, and the PC does all my media burning etc. I do browse FinHeaven from my couch sometimes (mainly when football is on TV), it's just from my laptop. It would be pretty sweet to have my 50" be a monitor too, but again, I'm just not a computer gamer, I'm not even THAT big a console gamer. I play NCAA/Madden the most, and some GTA San Andreas, some Tony Hawk series, a few racing titles and the occasional shooter. Just rented True Crime: New York and have played it for a total of like 7 minutes, I've had it for a week and a half, lol. I barely even have time to play Madden right now, I get MAYBE 1-2 games in a WEEK, I've been on the same season of my franchise for a good 3 months now, lol. I USED to play Madden constantly, it'd take me two days to do a season, now it takes like 4 months, I'm so busy, lol. I live in Hawai'i for the winters because I'm a huge surfer and Hawai'i is GOD for surfing in the winter. Basically every morning I get up between 11-1ish (except for this am, where for some damn reason I am up at 6 freakin' am local time, which is 5hrs behind east coast time) and do a light workout then eat breakfast and check the surf reports and then decide which boards to bring and pack em up and all that then drive up to the North Shore (about 30 minutes away from where I live, on the eastern side of Oahu in Kanehoe) and surf for a good 3hrs, then I have time to eat lunch and nap/relax then I bartend at 2 different clubs and I work at the gym on the Navy base so depending on which day it is I either have to drive into Waikiki or Honolulu (about 30 and 45 minutes from my house respectively) for 9 or 10pm (clubs here open as early as 8 but we are all allowed to be open til 4am) then bartend til 4am, get out of there at 5ish then either hit an after party at someone's house or drive back to my house and crash, or I have to go to Pearl Harbor to the Navy base (about an hr drive) at 4pm and close the gym (open til 10) in which case I workout after I close the gym, so I get a HUGE freakin facility to myself, then I just hit a club afterwards, then do it all over again the next day, lol. So as you can see I barely have time for videogames PERIOD, nevermind to try out PC games when I'm not really into them anyway, IF I get time to play games, (which when I'm relaxing I'm usually just watching football, sportscenter, ESPN news, PTI, NFL Live, or a DVD or something) it's usually just Madden on PS2.

Talos
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
All this thread did was make me want to go reinstall Torment....sigh...time to go find my CDs again.