PDA

View Full Version : My new christmas toy

Amars
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
just something cool I bought for christmas

http://media.putfile.com/dolphins-toy

UltraDol-Fan
12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
that is so cool! I have tried to get my parents and wife to buy me one, but I never get it. I even save the letter they send that has all the pictures of the train cars but it never works :cry:

Amars
12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
lol. Ya I just bought it myself.

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Sweeeet!!! I Love trains anyway... that is perfect! (now I gotta get me one too!)

What scale is that in?

FinsNCanes
12-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Hehe cool.

Talos
12-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah what scale is that? My dad loves trains. He has a whole room setup in his house with a layout, and I'm still searching for a Christmas gift.

Amars
12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Sweeeet!!! I Love trains anyway... that is perfect! (now I gotta get me one too!)

What scale is that in?

:couch:

scale? i dont know

I will figure it out for you.

Amars
12-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Heirloom quality, crafted in HO scale with a solid metal chassis and steel alloy wheels - ideal for display by the true model train enthusiast. This is the best decription I can find.

Talos
12-05-2005, 01:47 PM
woot...thanks Amars!

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
:cool: HO is mostly what I have now!!

:woot:

Where did you get it??

Talos
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I think I found it on the net.... http://www.collect-corner.net/sports_team_trains.htm#

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Sweeeeet!!!

Amars
12-05-2005, 03:09 PM
http://hawthornevillage.collectiblestoday.com/ct/section/sec-hawthornetrainsx3445.jsp

Here you go wharf I bought it about 1yr ago. I dont see it on the site but if you call Im pretty sure you can still order it. It comes is sets. You dont get all the pieces in one shipping. I have about 8 sets and there are more, but I stopped the order after that because I didnt need any more pieces. The first 3 sets are important. Brings the engine , then the power box comes, then a bunch of tracks start comming

Amars
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
This is what Im buying next

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/48223-1.jpg

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
http://hawthornevillage.collectiblestoday.com/ct/section/sec-hawthornetrainsx3445.jsp

Here you go wharf I bought it about 1yr ago. I dont see it on the site but if you call Im pretty sure you can still order it. It comes is sets. You dont get all the pieces in one shipping. I have about 8 sets and there are more, but I stopped the order after that because I didnt need any more pieces. The first 3 sets are important. Brings the engine , then the power box comes, then a bunch of tracks start comming

Cool! Thanks Amars!

Talos
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
I just don't understand the whole train phenomenon. You said you collect Wharf, so maybe you can explain it to me. My dad has tons of the stuff, and I've been to the model train museum in PA (can't think of the city name), and I still just don't get it. They're nice, but what's the big draw?

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I just don't understand the whole train phenomenon. You said you collect Wharf, so maybe you can explain it to me. My dad has tons of the stuff, and I've been to the model train museum in PA (can't think of the city name), and I still just don't get it. They're nice, but what's the big draw?

I could probably never make you understand... I suppose it's a bit of held-over childhood, a little bit of fascination with trains in general, and a bit of being able to create a "world" of your own making.

One of the things I want to do before I die...is be onboard one of the big old steam engines racing full tilt down the track ... the power and elegance of those old engines just knocks my socks off...

Edit: I'm not sure I'd call it a "phenomenon"... it's something that has been around for decades... over time, it's had peaks and valleys in popularity, but it's always been there!

Jt0323
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
i got those old Lionel trains, their real nice

Talos
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I could probably never make you understand... I suppose it's a bit of held-over childhood, a little bit of fascination with trains in general, and a bit of being able to create a "world" of your own making.

One of the things I want to do before I die...is be onboard one of the big old steam engines racing full tilt down the track ... the power and elegance of those old engines just knocks my socks off...

Edit: I'm not sure I'd call it a "phenomenon"... it's something that has been around for decades... over time, it's had peaks and valleys in popularity, but it's always been there!

My dad's began when he worked for a railroad way back when so I can appreciate that. The only train related thing in my life that I want to do is go on the Alaskan railroad into Denali. It's the only railroad that still picks passengers up off the side of the tracks, no station necessary.

As for term "phenomenon", I don't mean it in a flash in the pan sense. It's a huge culture of people that are devoted to it. Like I said, I've been to some of the big shows with family and I see what people go to for the stuff, and I hate to say it, but one day I'm going to inherit a bunch of it, so I just am trying to understand what draws people to it.

I can really appreciate the world making aspect of it though. My fiancee paints fantasy miniatures (ala Warhammer) for fun. She's never played the game, has no desire to, she just loves painting the miniatures. She loves creating these people and this world and placing them in it, so that I understand. Just can't see myself sitting in a stool making a model train go in circles. I have nothing against it, because I believe people should do what they enjoy. I do all kinds of stuff people would find boring.

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
My dad's began when he worked for a railroad way back when so I can appreciate that. The only train related thing in my life that I want to do is go on the Alaskan railroad into Denali. It's the only railroad that still picks passengers up off the side of the tracks, no station necessary.

As for term "phenomenon", I don't mean it in a flash in the pan sense. It's a huge culture of people that are devoted to it. Like I said, I've been to some of the big shows with family and I see what people go to for the stuff, and I hate to say it, but one day I'm going to inherit a bunch of it, so I just am trying to understand what draws people to it.

I can really appreciate the world making aspect of it though. My fiancee paints fantasy miniatures (ala Warhammer) for fun. She's never played the game, has no desire to, she just loves painting the miniatures. She loves creating these people and this world and placing them in it, so that I understand. Just can't see myself sitting in a stool making a model train go in circles. I have nothing against it, because I believe people should do what they enjoy. I do all kinds of stuff people would find boring.

ahhh... but it's much more than just going in circles!
If you have the room... track layouts can get extremely complex!
My brother had a multi-level setup where he could "park" trains under the layout, and pull them up onto the main tracks whenever he wanted, without physically touching them...
the setup also had multiple track cuircuits, so you could have 3-4 trains all running in different patterns at the same time....
under tunnels, over bridges, around/through towns...etc...etc...He even had a German Castle sitting atop a mountain, ... another mountain had "working" ski lifts.... it's only limited by your imagination! ;)

FinsNCanes
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
It sounds like a Christmas Village for men.

RunningBackGuru
12-05-2005, 05:49 PM
just something cool I bought for christmas

http://media.putfile.com/dolphins-toy

Cool!

Talos
12-05-2005, 05:52 PM
ahhh... but it's much more than just going in circles!
If you have the room... track layouts can get extremely complex!
My brother had a multi-level setup where he could "park" trains under the layout, and pull them up onto the main tracks whenever he wanted, without physically touching them...
the setup also had multiple track cuircuits, so you could have 3-4 trains all running in different patterns at the same time....
under tunnels, over bridges, around/through towns...etc...etc...He even had a German Castle sitting atop a mountain, ... another mountain had "working" ski lifts.... it's only limited by your imagination! ;)

Yeah, my dad has his whole basement converted for a multitrack layout. Like someone else said (can't see the post while quoting so I dont remember who), it's like a Christmas village for men.

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
It sounds like a Christmas Village for men.

That's up all year round.... and takes up about 1/2 of a VERY large basement...

My borther and I always loved model making... we would build large, very realistic dioramas of WWII battles in 1/72 scale, detailed painting to the extreme of "mud splatters" on the tracks and wheels of the vehicles, authentic cammo patterns, burned out/bombed out buildings, etc, etc...

The fun is in the detail, and making it looks as real as you can get it....

FinsAreLife
12-05-2005, 06:13 PM
This is what Im buying next

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2005/12/48223-1.jpg

wow, i do have to say that both of them are very sweet:up:

Amars
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey wharf you have a picture or your set? Im barely starting out so this is the one I bought, But your sound awsome. Having this train reminds me of my grandfather. He had one these nice locomotive that puff smoke out when I was like 5yrs old and I would be there all nite on christmas-eve playing with it. It's a pretty cool hobby and every train set is unique. i hope one day to have a town set up with at least 3 trains going at the same time.

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey wharf you have a picture or your set? Im barely starting out so this is the one I bought, But your sound awsome. Having this train reminds me of my grandfather. He had one these nice locomotive that puff smoke out when I was like 5yrs old and I would be there all nite on christmas-eve playing with it.

actually... mine's packed up and in storage....I don't have room for it where I'm living now :cry:

The layout I was talking about was my brother's... I may have pics of it somewhere (at least I used to), if not, I'm sure he has some....

Amars
12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
just like me I can only take out my train around this time of the year because I live in a condo.

WharfRat
12-05-2005, 06:57 PM
just like me I can only take out my train around this time of the year because I live in a condo.

exactly... I miss it...
I've even considered renting a storage space and setting it up in there! :lol:

cnc66
12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
That's up all year round.... and takes up about 1/2 of a VERY large basement...

My borther and I always loved model making... we would build large, very realistic dioramas of WWII battles in 1/72 scale, detailed painting to the extreme of "mud splatters" on the tracks and wheels of the vehicles, authentic cammo patterns, burned out/bombed out buildings, etc, etc...

The fun is in the detail, and making it looks as real as you can get it....

I used to do that for fun. When my son was very young and I was mostly broke I bought some WWII aircraft models and detailed them out and hung them in his room from the ceiling. I even had tracer fire from one to the next. On one plane I had a wing blown off but still by the now falling plane. I had some pics but I lost them to water damage in the hurricane this year, I have asked my ex if she still had the negatives....She said she would look (these weren't the only photographic losses, I had forgotten them in a closet)