PDA

View Full Version : iPod question

NLude33
12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Was going to order my wife an iPod for Xmas. Does anyone have one? How do you like it? I was going to get the iPod Nano, is that the right choice? Also, do you just drag and drop songs to it, or do you have to download from Apple's iMusic and pay for each song? Thanks for the help.

Talos
12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
A common complaint against the Nano lately is that the screen breaks with a strong breeze. It's supposedly very very very easy to break. Myself, I have a shuffle and so does my fiancee but we use them when we work out or do other active things because they're so small. In regards to larger Ipods I can't really give you that much good advice because I don't have the most experience.

UltraDol-Fan
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM
basically you get iTunes, which is a music program. all your mp3's will be in there, and then when you sync the iPod it will transfer all the files from iTunes into your iPod. I have an old one and love it. I bought my wife a mini and she loves it. The nano is cool but has durability issues (i've heard). I would get the Video iPod. For the money it is the best deal. the 2 gig nano is like $199, the 4 gig one is $249, and the 30 gig video iPod is like $299.

NLude33
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM
A common complaint against the Nano lately is that the screen breaks with a strong breeze. It's supposedly very very very easy to break. Myself, I have a shuffle and so does my fiancee but we use them when we work out or do other active things because they're so small. In regards to larger Ipods I can't really give you that much good advice because I don't have the most experience.

Does the shuffle have a screen, or do you just have to know where the songs are that you want to play?

NLude33
12-05-2005, 04:46 PM
basically you get iTunes, which is a music program. all your mp3's will be in there, and then when you sync the iPod it will transfer all the files from iTunes into your iPod. I have an old one and love it. I bought my wife a mini and she loves it. The nano is cool but has durability issues (i've heard). I would get the Video iPod. For the money it is the best deal. the 2 gig nano is like $199, the 4 gig one is $249, and the 30 gig video iPod is like $299.

The iPod video doesn't have the durablity issues that the Nano has? they look pretty much the same. My wife wants it for when she works out, so maybe the shuffle would be the best?

Talos
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I preface this by saying that the shuffle is designed for a certain type of person. I don't mind listening to anything at all on my Ipod and I have very eclectic tastes so I can put a ton of things on there and always be in the mood for all of it.

There is no screen, so you have to play the songs in a certain order or listen to them in a random order. Some people DO NOT like this. It was designed for someone who isn't likely to be skipping over songs as they are listening.

NLude33
12-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I preface this by saying that the shuffle is designed for a certain type of person. I don't mind listening to anything at all on my Ipod and I have very eclectic tastes so I can put a ton of things on there and always be in the mood for all of it.

There is no screen, so you have to play the songs in a certain order or listen to them in a random order. Some people DO NOT like this. It was designed for someone who isn't likely to be skipping over songs as they are listening.

Ok, thanks a bunch. I don't think my wife is that kind of person. When she wants a certain song, she wants that song. So I just need to decide between the Nano and the Video.

Talos
12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd go with the Video if you're willing to spend the extra money. I work with a bunch of people who have it and they swear by the damn thing.

Jt0323
12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
imo i think the Video would be a better choice for several reason, 1 the video is real nice on it and it looks great overall, but the nano is very easy to berak, it is also easy to misplace cause its so small,

darkmistress
12-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok, thanks a bunch. I don't think my wife is that kind of person. When she wants a certain song, she wants that song. So I just need to decide between the Nano and the Video.

the video and nano have the same durability issues, they don't break wth the wind but just don't be stupid with it and leave it in your back pocket when you sit down. They have the tendency to scratch pretty easily so get a silicon case or some kind of protective film for the screen for it just to keep it safe. I suggest a 30gb video as the value for money is better storage wise. ;)

Talos
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
the video and nano have the same durability issues, they don't break wth the wind but just don't be stupid with it and leave it in your back pocket when you sit down. They have the tendency to scratch pretty easily so get a silicon case or some kind of protective film for the screen for it just to keep it safe. I suggest a 30gb video as the value for money is better storage wise. ;)

Ahh....DM covered something I meant to add. No matter what, under any and every circumstance, get a case for your Ipod. I don't care what kind of Ipod you get, its too expensive of a toy to leave it unprotected. You can look at places like Ipodlounge.com for cases and reviews of them, or even somewhere as simple as amazon.com .

NLude33
12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the help people, i appreciate it!

NJFINSFAN1
12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Was going to order my wife an iPod for Xmas. Does anyone have one? How do you like it? I was going to get the iPod Nano, is that the right choice? Also, do you just drag and drop songs to it, or do you have to download from Apple's iMusic and pay for each song? Thanks for the help.

I have a 6gig one, use it all the time, in the car, at work, at home! I have heard the Nano has had its problems.

darkmistress
12-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I should add the videos come with a suede type cover. I believe the nanos were repacked to include them as well but I'm not 100% on that.

Talos
12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I think the Nano's were recalled from stores so that they could send them out with the cover because of issues, so as long as you get it from a large store you should probably get the cover. Again though, this is what I remember reading, but that doesn't make it fact.

Buddwalk
12-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Despite laying the dirt on apple a couple monthes ago im actually getting one for christmas :lol: