PDA

View Full Version : Bands, solo artists and/or song that make you want to...

darkmistress
12-05-2005, 11:07 PM
There are heaps of best bands, albums and song threads so here's something a little different...

Not just bands, solo artists and/or songs you don't like but bands, solo artists and/or songs that make you want to cause some form or grievous bodily harm to yourself or the nearest person/object to you... (NB I mean this in jest, if you seriously intend to do any of the above mentioned then please seek profession help)

I'll go first...

JAMES BLUNT

Rocky Raccoon
12-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Guns 'N Roses, Axl Rose is quite possibly the worst singer ever. His voice gives me nightmares. They ruined awesome songs like "Live and Let Die" and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"

Buddwalk
12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Guns 'N Roses, Axl Rose is quite possibly the worst singer ever. His voice gives me nightmares. They ruined awesome songs like "Live and Let Die" and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"

Good Opinion thread, I dont agree but thats ok. I'd say Lars from metallica is the worst drummer in the history of metal ;)

Muck
12-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I have no idea who James Blunt is. Is he a rapper?? :lol:

I can't stand Fat Joe. I don't see what the big deal is. The whole act grates on me.

Whenever I hear him on the radio, I turn back to the commercials on the rock station. :lol:

Muck
12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Good Opinion thread, I dont agree but thats ok. I'd say Lars from metallica is the worst drummer in the history of metal ;)

I don't know how much support you're gonna get on that. :tongue:

Dolphin1184
12-05-2005, 11:57 PM

:rofl3:

Buddwalk
12-06-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't know how much support you're gonna get on that. :tongue:
Being the big metallica buff you are muck I didnt think you'd agree, I still love there stuff but the guys like a drama queen just hearing him b!tch in that documentary some kind of monster was horrible enough. But even worse it took him like 10-20 takes to get something right and im sitting there the whole time like WTF??? :lol:

But hey just my opinion :tongue:

Rocky Raccoon
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
the Baha Men were pretty useless too

darkmistress
12-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I have no idea who James Blunt is. Is he a rapper?? :lol:

I can't stand Fat Joe. I don't see what the big deal is. The whole act grates on me.

Whenever I hear him on the radio, I turn back to the commercials on the rock station. :lol:

no no, I'd take rap over him anyday lol... he's some wussy little girly boy that sings like he's getting into a hot bath... I would find you some samples to listen to but your head might implode... lol

jnewmant
12-06-2005, 12:23 AM
some crappy band called livesay:rofl3: nah i had to take a shot at you pagan i kid, i kid, i'd have to say Limp Bizkit every time i hear them i want to shove a shotgun in my mouth

unifiedtheory
12-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Anytime Scott Stapp "sings" makes me want to smash my face against a wall.

Cuban Dave 9
12-06-2005, 12:26 AM
I think we would all agree about this:

Right Said Fred

Cuban Dave 9
12-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Anytime Scott Stapp "sings" makes me want to smash my face against a wall.
Speaking of singing...what do y'all think of Ja Rule...The guy sounds like he is choking on some tube steak

NaboCane
12-06-2005, 12:29 AM

Rocky! Loved your song.

;)

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Any damn mexican banda thing, you probably have heard them, tubas, and accordeons, and ohhhhh my godddddd makes my skin crawl....

But there are three things that just really really really can get me into anger:

Gasolina - Daddy Yankee (flagship song for reggaeton, and one of the most annoying songs in the history of mankind, reggaeton in of itself is awfull, but this song just blows it away)

Numa Numa Song (I don't know who sings it but dear lord, it is just ridiculous, when you hear it the first time it is funny, the second time, well, maybe kinda funny too, but by the time you hear a tird and a fourth, and a fifteenth time.... You want to kill someone)

The ketchup song - Las Ketchup (now you guys did not have to live with this one like i did, I mean this song would come up every time i got in a cab, bus, even in my college classes people would mention it and know the damn dance!!!!!! And I had to hear on the news that it was considered a devil song somewhere in spain, because the chorus is giberish so it clealry has to be a way to pray for the devil.... oh lord.)

As a movement, I can hardly stand most of electronic music (with the exception of some trip-hop, and some but very little chill-out) everything gives me headaches.

And I just can't stand Radiohead after OK computer, pretentious idiots is what I think they became.... Wow I hate a lot of people....

Rocky Raccoon
12-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Rocky! Loved your song.

;)

thanks man, me too... obviously :D

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2005, 12:50 AM
r. kelly

NaboCane
12-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Air Supply. Every time they come on the radio, my hand is a blur of movement to a button, any button that will end the madness. They make my skin crawl, and if forced to listen to them, I get irrationally violent.

And Michael McDonald's voice. Kill me please, before I have to endure another snippet from the band he completely ruined with his cartoonishly-reedy, hellish, castrato-ish falsetto...

:monkeyr:...what a fooool beliiiiiiiiiiiiieves...:monkeyl:

phinpunk14
12-06-2005, 01:26 AM
man, you guys beat me to creed and metallica, but I can still name Nickelback. And I don't just dislike Lars, I don't like their music either. Oh... don't forget Linkin Park. I could go all day on this topic.

CirclingWagons
12-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Sean Paul...WHAT THE **** ARE YOU SAYING!!!!?

FIN-IN-RI
12-06-2005, 01:40 AM
^lol

Pagan
12-06-2005, 08:12 AM
some crappy band called livesay:rofl3:
Yea...those guys BLOW! :lol:

For me...Eminem. Every time I see him acting like he's a badass I want to pick him up by the ankles and pretend he's a turkey's wishbone.

NaboCane
12-06-2005, 08:13 AM

For me...Eminem. Every time I see him acting like he's a badass I want to pick him up by the ankles and pretend he's a turkey's wishbone.

:lol:...no, wait...

Word.

TJamesW_phinfan
12-06-2005, 08:37 AM

I have to agree with you on Lars. I wonder if he was even on the same planet much less in the studio when they did Seger's Turn the Page.

As for Rose he was never a good vocalist but brought a lot of energy as a front man.

I am not a big fan of Rap or Hip Hop in general so it gets on my nerves a bit. Maybe not to the point of doing harm ... well ... no not yet. :)

LtDan
12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Anything from Nirvana....the band who ruined music!!!!!

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Prince. I am fully aware that he is a great artist and the ladies love him. But I just want to slap the crap out of him everytime I hear one of his songs. I just can't stand the little fella

NJFINSFAN1
12-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Meatloaf!

Talos
12-06-2005, 10:05 AM
C'mon folks. Lets not forget Billy Ray Cyrus.

NJFINSFAN1
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Black eyed Peas!:barf: (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=10#)

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Black eyed Peas!:barf: (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=10#) YES I hate them also, everywhere you look there they are, i wish they would go away!

Pagan
12-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Anything from Nirvana....the band who ruined music!!!!!
A-f'ing-men.

DrAstroZoom
12-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Marilyn Manson.

mor911
12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
The Mor hates anything that includes Will Smith and Music... It's pathetic. That Mor also can't stand Nelly... Not rock bands, but The Mor hates them none the less.

dolphan117
12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Boy bands in general, I cant beleive I am the first person to bring this up.

dolphan117
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Black eyed Peas!:barf: (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=10#)

Ever since they compared the CIA to the KKK and terorists I agree.

CalDolFan1014
12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
no no, I'd take rap over him anyday lol... he's some wussy little girly boy that sings like he's getting into a hot bath... I would find you some samples to listen to but your head might implode... lol

:roflmao: Love that description! On that note....any boy band would do it for me! :yell:

CalDolFan1014
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM

That'd be another one.........the singer's voice is ANNOYING!!!!!!!! :mad:

CalDolFan1014
12-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Speaking of singing...what do y'all think of Ja Rule...The guy sounds like he is choking on some tube steak

:lol: So true.

Noodle Arm
12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Fred Durst/Limp Bizkit makes me want to Break Stuff over their heads.

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
A-f'ing-men.

You see my Nirvana hate is not so much their music as it is the attitude, the sainthood that Cobain achieved just because he killed himself, I hate when people reach that level for just diying.

Pagan
12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
You see my Nirvana hate is not so much their music as it is the attitude, the sainthood that Cobain achieved just because he killed himself, I hate when people reach that level for just diying.
Oh believe me, I agree with you on that also.

Imus in the Morning came on the air when all the hysteria was happening over his death and summed it up perfectly....

"It's not John Lennon, people."

UncleCosmic
12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh believe me, I agree with you on that also.

Imus in the Morning came on the air when all the hysteria was happening over his death and summed it up perfectly....

"It's not John Lennon, people."

I saw a signature on an internet post once that said "Kurt Cobain is my hero because he killed Kurt Cobain."

I cracked up.

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Have you ever heard "Into your shtick" by Mudhoney... They attack Cobain for doing it, it is a good song (Mudhoney is a band that I can only half listen to, but that song is good.)

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I saw a signature on an internet post once that said "Kurt Cobain is my hero because he killed Kurt Cobain."

I cracked up. If he hadn't killed himself we would have been forced to hear they're crappy music for ten more years so I guess he could be called a hero

Pagan
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Well....look at who Cobain was married to. If I woke up married to that train wreck I wouldn't be able to get the barrell in my mouth fast enough....

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
wouldn't be able to get the barrell in my mouth fast enough....:lol:
I am going to have to steal that line brother

CalDolFan1014
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Well....look at who Cobain was married to. If I woke up married to that train wreck I wouldn't be able to get the barrell in my mouth fast enough....

:roflmao: Classic!

HansMojo
12-06-2005, 03:39 PM

Pagan! My whole image of you as this peaceful wiccan that wouldn't harm anything just got blown out the window. Oh the humanity! I feel so scared and disillusioned now. :cry:
:lol:

Talos
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
A-f'ing-men.

Forgetting the whole "martyr" argument, I assume you hate Nirvana less for the music they make and more for the fact they were in your mind the beginning of the end of popular hard rock/metal?

The whole, worship him because he shot himself bit, is ****ing stupid and I'll never understand people who think that way. I'm a fan of the music of Nirvana, always have been, but I don't like the culture associated with Cobain and that whole aspect of it.

DrAstroZoom
12-06-2005, 04:23 PM

I have to admit (and this is a real shocking true confession here), that I used to find Courtney a little intriguing in the dirty, sloppy whore way.

Talos
12-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I have to admit (and this is a real shocking true confession here), that I used to find Courtney a little intriguing in the dirty, sloppy whore way.

For your own sake, I think we'll wipe that comment from the record. Don't want to hold it against you in the future. :D

Buddwalk
12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
A-f'ing-men.

100% agreed...i had an arguement with dday about this

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Yeah, me too, then thankfully Christina Aguilera decided she was no longer a girl, and took that place in my head....

DrAstroZoom
12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Yeah, me too, then thankfully Christina Aguilera decided she was no longer a girl, and took that place in my head....

Agreed, but now that Aguilera has pretty much cleaned up her act, where's a DSW fan to turn?

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Dunno, honestly, i think that Helena Bonham Carter is a great option for trashy gilr, except she can also be a stuck up nineteenth century person... but in fight club and in novocaine... she was trashy...

In terms of truly trashy girls, i don't know... No one comes to mind.

Talos
12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Ask the Mor. Someone dig up the Dear Mor thread and post who's the next up and coming trashy girl. Seems like something he could help us out with.

Pagan
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I am going to have to steal that line brother
By all means!

Pagan! My whole image of you as this peaceful wiccan that wouldn't harm anything just got blown out the window. Oh the humanity! I feel so scared and disillusioned now. :cry:
Yea...sometimes outside influences cause me to snap I guess...Eminem being one of them. Don't even get me going on P. Diddy. :lol:

Forgetting the whole "martyr" argument, I assume you hate Nirvana less for the music they make and more for the fact they were in your mind the beginning of the end of popular hard rock/metal?
Actually no, that's not the reason. I really wasn't into the popular metal. The hair band scene wasn't for me. The bands I was into back then have survived and continued being successful.

What I hated about Nirvana was the music itself. It was - in an odd sort of way - just as lifeless as the hair bands it replaced, only in a different direction. Nothing I've ever heard from Nirvana made me run and pick up my bass to try and play it.

And the whole "we're no better than anyone in the audience" thing was ridiculous. Yes you are. And not better in that you're a better human being, but better in that if it was so easy everyone'd be doing it. Just like football players are better atheletes than I am. Imagine if the Dolphins decided not to wear uniforms anymore and thought that dressing like they just rolled out of bed was cool?

I come from the mindset that kids wait a long time to see their favorite bands. In alot of instances, they worship them. I can only imagine waiting forever to see a band and then have them show up onstage dressed like slobs and looking down at their feet all night, not moving. To me, the stage is a sacred place, and if you're up there you have to give the people something for their money that makes them leave that hall blown away.

When I was a teenager, KISS were other worldy beings to me. When I saw them live there was so much energy in that arena that your hair could catch fire. I don't get that from any newer bands. And in my early 20's, bands like Maiden and Priest were like GODS onstage. You looked at them and aside from the music, the physical presence they had was awesome. You left there knowing that you saw real "rock stars".

I don't know if that made any sense, but I'm hoping it did. :lol:

Talos
12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
By all means!

Yea...sometimes outside influences cause me to snap I guess...Eminem being one of them. Don't even get me going on P. Diddy. :lol:

Actually no, that's not the reason. I really wasn't into the popular metal. The hair band scene wasn't for me. The bands I was into back then have survived and continued being successful.

What I hated about Nirvana was the music itself. It was - in an odd sort of way - just as lifeless as the hair bands it replaced, only in a different direction. Nothing I've ever heard from Nirvana made me run and pick up my bass to try and play it.

And the whole "we're no better than anyone in the audience" thing was ridiculous. Yes you are. And not better in that you're a better human being, but better in that if it was so easy everyone'd be doing it. Just like football players are better atheletes than I am. Imagine if the Dolphins decided not to wear uniforms anymore and thought that ddressing like they just rolled out of bed was cool?

I come from the mindset that kids wait a long time to see their favorite bands. In alot of instances, they worship them. I can only imagine waiting forever to see a band and then have them show up onstage dressed like a slob and looking down at their feet all night, not moving. To me, the stage is a sacred place, and if you're up there you have to give the people something for their money that makes them leave that hall blown away.

When I was a teenager, KISS were other worldy beings to me. When I saw them live there was so much energy in that arena that your hair could catch fire. I don't get that from any newer bands. And in my early 20's, bands like Maiden and Priest were like GODS onstage. You looked at them and aside from the music, the physical presence they had was awesome. You left there knowing that you saw real "rock stars".

Perfect sense. I'm busy at work at the moment, but I'll take time to reply to it later.

NJFINSFAN1
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Perfect sense. I'm busy at work at the moment, but I'll take time to reply to it later.

Busy at work!:eek: You just posted in every thread in the lounge!!!!

Talos
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I was on lunch. I came back in the midst of everything being FUBAR.

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM

And the whole "we're no better than anyone in the audience" thing was ridiculous. Yes you are. And not better in that you're a better human being, but better in that if it was so easy everyone'd be doing it. Just like football players are better atheletes than I am. Imagine if the Dolphins decided not to wear uniforms anymore and thought that dressing like they just rolled out of bed was cool?

I come from the mindset that kids wait a long time to see their favorite bands. In alot of instances, they worship them. I can only imagine waiting forever to see a band and then have them show up onstage dressed like slobs and looking down at their feet all night, not moving. To me, the stage is a sacred place, and if you're up there you have to give the people something for their money that makes them leave that hall blown away.

I was a grunge kid when I was in High School, and although Nirvana was not (to me) the best band of the movement (dunno which one would be, but I am sure that The Smashing Pumpkins, I consider them grunge so don't start that discusion, Pearl Jam, soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, Green River and Mother Love Bone where all better).

But even though I do not think that they where the best damn rockers ever... They where good, some of the songs that they wrote where damn good (Lithium is great) and I unlike you I loved that on stage attitude, that we are just doing our thing, we don't give a **** which just made it enjoyable, I never took it as we are disrespecting the audience, I always took it differently, very punkish if you want, like we don't give a ****... I like that attitude... But I can see that it could anger people, I just never thought I would see you complaining about how people go to play like they just crawled out of bed (I will never go with you to a Blur concert, you would hate them)

Buddwalk
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Everything nirvana did was ripping off the pixies...I dont really like either one but im just pointing out what went down. People say Cobain was original and a great songwriter but like i said he ripped stuff off other people...cant be too original. But hey thats my opinion ;)

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 06:28 PM
You are right, he ripped off the pixies, and Green River, and Mudhoney, and Husker Du, and all bands that where around at the time... But then again I think you can probably make the same case for almost every band out there. I am not so high on originality in the sense of searching for something completely new, I think it just cant 'happen, but I do like when people paraphrase and make something just as good.

Although I do like the pixies more than I like Nirvana.

Buddwalk
12-06-2005, 06:30 PM
You are right, he ripped off the pixies, and Green River, and Mudhoney, and Husker Du, and all bands that where around at the time... But then again I think you can probably make the same case for almost every band out there. I am not so high on originality in the sense of searching for something completely new, I think it just cant 'happen, but I do like when people paraphrase and make something just as good.

Although I do like the pixies more than I like Nirvana.

My new stuff is pretty original...nah jnewmant said it sounded kinda like collective soul :lol:

Keeping my stuff to my self right now, dont really want too people getting a good look at stuff im righting especially since i dont have any copyright laws ;)

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
I have the same feeling about my scripts, ultimately I think it is a little pretentious, but I don't let anyone see them until I finish writing them (and register them with the damn library of congress)

Pagan
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
and I unlike you I loved that on stage attitude, that we are just doing our thing, we don't give a **** which just made it enjoyable,
There's a way to say "I don't give a **** without lessening the experience. Metallica in the early days had that attitude, but man, WHAT a show! Even though I don't like them, you can't get ANY more "I don't give a ****" than Motley Crue. And those guys mean it. BUT....they still put on a show that blows the senses away. See what I'm getting at?

I just never thought I would see you complaining about how people go to play like they just crawled out of bed (I will never go with you to a Blur concert, you would hate them)
I complain about that because I feel a show should be a show. When you go to a concert, do you tell people "I'm going to hear Rush tonight!" or "I'm going to SEE Rush tonight!"?

I'm old school bro...the whole idea of a "rock star" meant something then. David Bowie, David Lee Roth, Paul Stanley, Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Mick Jagger....you won't see people like that anymore.

Unfortunately, the rock star died with Nirvana.

darkmistress
12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I have the same feeling about my scripts, ultimately I think it is a little pretentious, but I don't let anyone see them until I finish writing them (and register them with the damn library of congress)

It's not pretentious to want to protect your own work. There are a lot of braindead thieves out there...

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
mmm, I can see that, but I would have said that it died with punk... With Jhonny (is it john or jhon I can never spell it right) Ramone, and Blondie, I think a lot of our generations outlook on what a rockstar is supposed to be comes from that unglamming that happened during the punk movement... I get what you are saying (wish i could have seen David Bowie live man, that would have made me giz all over myself)

Pagan
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
mmm, I can see that, but I would have said that it died with punk... With Jhonny (is it john or jhon I can never spell it right) Ramone, and Blondie, I think a lot of our generations outlook on what a rockstar is supposed to be comes from that unglamming that happened during the punk movement... I get what you are saying (wish i could have seen David Bowie live man, that would have made me giz all over myself)
Bro...Bowie live was MIND BOGGLING. Saw him at Madison Square Garden on the "Scary Monsters" tour.

Have to disagree with you though...Van Halen, Priest & Maiden all came out AFTER punk...and Rob Halford is definitely a rock star! :lol:

Quelonio
12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Well but you could make a case that there are still at least some rockstars after the Nirvana hayday (even during it, like Pearl Jam, NIN, I've heard that Placebo live is amazing, as is Radiohead) All I am saying is that the seeds for that antirockstar idea of performing came in those punkish years.

You my friend are a lucky man, Led Zeppelin, Bowie... god you are lucky

Pagan
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
You my friend are a lucky man, Led Zeppelin, Bowie... god you are lucky
I know...Born at the right time. Kid in the 60's, teenager in the 70's, in my 20's in the 80's. Enjoyed the best three decades of rock.

I got to see some of the best shows ever...Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath when no one knew who Van Halen was was a standout for me also.

KISS when they were young and hungry, New Year's Eve 1975....ah, those were the days. :lol:

BlitPhinFan
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
I am going to have to go with "Elbow"... not sure if that's how they spell it but, on the "Greg-O show" that replaced Stern's morning spot in my area there is a member of the show "Moe" that keeps pushing their music and getting it aired. Awful... funny because of the context of the show... but still... just AWFUL! :lol:

TJamesW_phinfan
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I complain about that because I feel a show should be a show. When you go to a concert, do you tell people "I'm going to hear Rush tonight!" or "I'm going to SEE Rush tonight!"?

I'm old school bro...the whole idea of a "rock star" meant something then. David Bowie, David Lee Roth, Paul Stanley, Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Mick Jagger....you won't see people like that anymore.

True that. In the early days kiss had so much energy in their shows. I remember an interesting quote from Simmons about auditioning guitarists something to the effect of "More important than can he rip fast leads is can he play an A chord that is like a punch in the gut." Or something like that.

Kiss was not technically complex in their style but their music made you feel good and their shows... well, you never forget them. It wasn't well this is what everyone is listening too so they are cool. It was just WHOA these guys friggin ROCK!

I remember reading somewhere that Gene Simmons gave Van Halen their break into the industry but not sure about that.

It is sad but what you said about not seeing people like the ones you listed anymore may be true. So many (not all but most) of the new bands coming out these days seem so hollow or plastic. So full of attitude and image that the current primary peer groups will identify with but no real substance or soul.