PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend Out-gifting me

spydertl79
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a huge problem. My girlfriend and her parents are getting me an XBOX 360 for Christmas (They're loaded and they love me.) The problem is that she won't tell me what she wants! She says she'll get back to me with gift ideas but she truly doesn't want me to buy anything (you'd have to meet her to believe me.) I am going to buy her something and spend 100-200 on her (THATS ALL I HAVE, BEING 17 SUCKS). Do any of you have great ideas?

byroan
12-05-2005, 11:27 PM
My girl likes rings. You could get a nice one in that range. Or any other kind of jewelry.

Alex44
I have a huge problem. My girlfriend and her parents are getting me an XBOX 360 for Christmas (They're loaded and they love me.) The problem is that she won't tell me what she wants! She says she'll get back to me with gift ideas but she truly doesn't want me to buy anything (you'd have to meet her to believe me.) I am going to buy her something and spend 100-200 on her (THATS ALL I HAVE, BEING 17 SUCKS). Do any of you have great ideas?

what does she like?

wazzy
Does she like jewellery?

mor911
12-06-2005, 12:15 AM
That b!tch! Who the hell does she think she is out-gifting you?!?!? I once spent $179 getting my ex a massage and mudd treatment at a nearby hotel/resort, and she loved it. :D

darkmistress
12-06-2005, 12:50 AM

take her to the shopping centre and see what peaks her interest... you should get a fair idea of what she likes (if you don't really know already)...

Wildbill3
12-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Write her something, buy her something, and take her out to dinner, that is the only way to go.

Jimmy James
12-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Write her something, buy her something, and take her out to dinner, that is the only way to go.

Yep -- you're going to have to do something that has a non-monetary value. Do you have any special skills? Painting? Songwriting?

FinsNCanes
12-06-2005, 03:07 AM
I'd just give her cash and tell her to buy what she wants. Simple and smart.

Wildbill3
12-06-2005, 04:15 AM
I'd just give her cash and tell her to buy what she wants. Simple and smart.casanova you aren't. :shakeno:

byroan
12-06-2005, 04:23 AM
casanova you aren't. :shakeno:

:yeahthat:

Alex44
12-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Give her your love, nothing better than that

and maybe a necklace, a nice one though

NaboCane
12-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Day at the spa, or at least a massage and a facial can be had for under $200.

Alex44
12-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Give her....an X box 360 game and tell her she can come over and play whenever

just kidding lol

mor911
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Give her your love, nothing better than that

and maybe a necklace, a nice one though

Yeah! :hump: Make her walk crooked for a week.... :lol:

A Wing Pilot
12-06-2005, 09:38 AM
spyder, first off the fact that they can get one is amazing. I waited 18 hours in a parking lot at toys r us for mine. I still have onE on preoder (#40) that I am waiting for. yes I need two :P

You need to go to a trusted jeweler and get her something nice. Doesn't need to be diamonds it can be many different stones or no stones at all. You can not get away with a plain gold chain or plain anything!!!!!!!! It needs to have some sort of jewel. If you decide not to go with jewelry, you could buy her somethign small and get the family something as a gift. Kay jewlers has these weekend deals for rings for $45 that are worth $125-200 dollars. My wife is a JAP (Jewish American Princess) and LOVES jewlery and I get her these all the time She loves it best deal in town!!!!!!!!

Remember an 360 is $400 (300 for the cheap version) I would be very careful, In fact I may have refused it IF I was in your position, thats a whole lot of money regardless of how rich they are. If they force it upon you then you can except, but refuse it at first to show them the respect they deserve ( Its a great tatic trust me!!!)

Whatever you do good luck!!!!! and let us know.

P.S.
I'm with the buy her a 360 game and tell her she can come over and play it whenever she wants :rofl3:

A Wing Pilot
12-06-2005, 09:41 AM
If you do get her diamonds in form of earrings or otherwise:

Diamonds (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6188964405766816230&q=title%3A+family+guy+diamond)

Talos
12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I once spent $179 getting my ex a massage and mudd treatment at a nearby hotel/resort, and she loved it. :D

:yeahthat:

Spa treatment is always a solid way to go, because it has more than just being a gift. It makes her feel better, puts her in a better mood, and makes it look like you care about her more than about buying her a gift. Spa treatment and a nice dinner or something along those lines is a good bet.

Motion
12-06-2005, 10:32 AM

Diamonds (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6188964405766816230&q=title%3A+family+guy+diamond)

+1

UltraDol-Fan
12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
If your spending $200 that is still a lot of money. You can get her an ipod mini or the small nano, if you order it off of apple.com they laser engrave for free and give free shipping. That's what I did for my wife, and the laser engraving makes it even more personal.

Clark Kent
12-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Yep -- you're going to have to do something that has a non-monetary value. Do you have any special skills? Painting? Songwriting?Only Ninja and Hacking skillz...

ohall
12-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Give her a pearl neckless, they love those things!

Amars
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Ipod

jnewmant
12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Only Ninja and Hacking skillz...Dang It...:rofl3:, oh and if i were you i'd give her a nice large helping of tube steak

Jimmy James
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Give her a pearl neckless, they love those things!

That's like a gift for both of them.

tucker
12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
buy her a puppy

CalDolFan10x14
12-06-2005, 01:53 PM

:lol: :lol:

Talos
12-06-2005, 01:56 PM
That's like a gift for both of them.

Don't quite think thats what he meant. :rofl3:

phins17
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Get her a vibrator she'll love you for life.

TrueDolFan
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Look, kid. You're 17! At your age, you should NEVER buy your girlfriend something more expensive than the gift you give to your own mother! At 17, you can't possibly be expected to get this GIRL a gift that a MAN would give to his WIFE. Don't sweat it. It doesn't matter what she's getting you. You shouldn't know what your Christmas present will be! How do you even know what you're present is, and who the hell tells someone what they're getting them for Christmas, anyway?

spydertl79
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
So many different ideas and opinions! Thanks guys, I'll probably take the jewelry route.

spydertl79
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
spyder, first off the fact that they can get one is amazing. I waited 18 hours in a parking lot at toys r us for mine. I still have onE on preoder (#40) that I am waiting for. yes I need two :P

You need to go to a trusted jeweler and get her something nice. Doesn't need to be diamonds it can be many different stones or no stones at all. You can not get away with a plain gold chain or plain anything!!!!!!!! It needs to have some sort of jewel. If you decide not to go with jewelry, you could buy her somethign small and get the family something as a gift. Kay jewlers has these weekend deals for rings for $45 that are worth $125-200 dollars. My wife is a JAP (Jewish American Princess) and LOVES jewlery and I get her these all the time She loves it best deal in town!!!!!!!!

Remember an 360 is $400 (300 for the cheap version) I would be very careful, In fact I may have refused it IF I was in your position, thats a whole lot of money regardless of how rich they are. If they force it upon you then you can except, but refuse it at first to show them the respect they deserve ( Its a great tatic trust me!!!)

Whatever you do good luck!!!!! and let us know.

P.S.
I'm with the buy her a 360 game and tell her she can come over and play it whenever she wants :rofl3: Her parents managed to get four 360's somehow. I think it probably has something to do with their nationality (italian). They also had a plasma screen show up on their doorstep one day.:hmmm:

I DID tell her that I didn't want it but she said that she has to get rid of it.

jnewmant
12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Her parents managed to get four 360's somehow. I think it probably has something to do with their nationality (italian). They also had a plasma screen show up on their doorstep one day.:hmmm:

I DID tell her that I didn't want it but she said that she has to get rid of it.ok those people have some connections if you know what i mean, my best advice is to break up with her right after you get the 360, you'll have to lay low for a while but it's better than staying with her and getting wacked one day

FinsNYanksFan13
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I feel this kids pain lol I'm struggling to figure out what to get my girl. Besides stocking stuffer gag gifts (u know lingerie, things like that) I am stuck also. It sucks lol~

spydertl79
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
ok those people have some connections if you know what i mean, my best advice is to break up with her right after you get the 360, you'll have to lay low for a while but it's better than staying with her and getting wacked one day
I'll take my chances.:D

Phinz1972
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I feel this kids pain lol I'm struggling to figure out what to get my girl. Besides stocking stuffer gag gifts (u know lingerie, things like that) I am stuck also. It sucks lol~

Nothing says I love you like a bootleg dvd :lol:

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
She is a girl, and she is 17. The Jewelry is nice if your married to her. C'mon use your head, you go out and buy her a 200 dollar neclace, she thinks you want to marry her. You buy her 200 dollars worth of clothes she thinks you really really care about her. take one of her friends with you shopping buy her clothes that actually fit her. Nice Clothes something she could wear to a really fancy resturant. Then take her out. Jewelry=Marrige Clothes=laid

Phinz1972
12-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Jewelry=Marrige Clothes=laid

Spotted by another one of her friends or family while standing there while friend tries on *nice* clothing = trouble

GRAPEAPE
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Spotted by another one of her friends or family while standing there while friend tries on *nice* clothing = trouble I said nothing about her trying anyting on but if you could get away with it BONUS, no take a friend they should know what she likes and her sizes. But if you can get a fashion show out of the dea, what the heck:D

backpacker
12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
but it's better than staying with her and getting wacked one day

:lol:

Phinz1972
12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I said nothing about her trying anyting on but if you could get away with it BONUS, no take a friend they should know what she likes and her sizes. But if you can get a fashion show out of the dea, what the heck:D

:hmmm:

GENIUS!

Talos
12-06-2005, 04:09 PM
she said that she has to get rid of it.

:yeahthat: Classic! :rofl3:

Bobby Humphrey
12-06-2005, 04:56 PM
does it matter???? once you have the x-box 360 u don't need her ......

Jimmy James
12-06-2005, 05:03 PM

Maybe he doesn't want to end up waking up next to a horse's head. ;)

spydertl79
12-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to end up waking up next to a horse's head. ;)LOL, I really do like this girl alot or I wouldn't risk death.

Agent51
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I'd just give her cash and tell her to buy what she wants. Simple and smart.

Yea, that really melts their hearts, "here babe, I'm too lazy/thoughtless/have absolutely no clue about your likes and interests to buy you an actual gift, so here's some cash, get yourself something nice." Rather impersonal for someone close like a girlfriend don't ya think?

Agent51
12-06-2005, 07:26 PM
As far as the gift, you seem to not be able to go wrong with jewelry, (unless it's really tacky or your girl doesn't wear it much, lol) but it's probably expected. I tend to like to stray away from the obvious so last year I got my girlfriend of 2 years a kitten. She LOVES cats (mainly kittens) and she had just gotten a kitten two months before that her mom's a$$hole BF GAVE AWAY when she wasn't home because he didn't like it, then told them it ran out when he opened the door when he cam home from work. I searched high and low for a damn kitten (not the easiest thing to find around Xmass time) and I finally found one and kept it at my house for a few days then had her come over to give her an early Xmass gift. All along I had her best friend subtly asking her her ring size and what types/styles she prefers, but in a girly conversation way, not a "hey this is what your BF is getting you" way so that my GF would think she was getting a ring. So she comes over and I had taken one of those tiny furry mice and put it in a ring box and wrapped it up. I had her sit on the couch with her back to the hallway and I gave her the box, she opened it and saw the mouse and kinda paused and I was like "that is actually a present for her" and I pointed to the hallway and I had her best friend standing in the hallway where she couldn't see and she let the kitten go and it came running out from the hall, in a little Santa had and a collar with a red bell on. My GF LOST it. That tops jewelry any day :D

bg34
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to end up waking up next to a horse's head. ;)

:lol:

darkmistress
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
As far as the gift, you seem to not be able to go wrong with jewelry, (unless it's really tacky or your girl doesn't wear it much, lol) but it's probably expected. I tend to like to stray away from the obvious so last year I got my girlfriend of 2 years a kitten. She LOVES cats (mainly kittens) and she had just gotten a kitten two months before that her mom's a$$hole BF GAVE AWAY when she wasn't home because he didn't like it, then told them it ran out when he opened the door when he cam home from work. I searched high and low for a damn kitten (not the easiest thing to find around Xmass time) and I finally found one and kept it at my house for a few days then had her come over to give her an early Xmass gift. All along I had her best friend subtly asking her her ring size and what types/styles she prefers, but in a girly conversation way, not a "hey this is what your BF is getting you" way so that my GF would think she was getting a ring. So she comes over and I had taken one of those tiny furry mice and put it in a ring box and wrapped it up. I had her sit on the couch with her back to the hallway and I gave her the box, she opened it and saw the mouse and kinda paused and I was like "that is actually a present for her" and I pointed to the hallway and I had her best friend standing in the hallway where she couldn't see and she let the kitten go and it came running out from the hall, in a little Santa had and a collar with a red bell on. My GF LOST it. That tops jewelry any day :D

Jewelry is trickier to buy than most guys think... find out if she lkes silver or gold better (alot of girls are very particular when it comes to this) if she likes both go for a blend...with gem stones the safest bet is to go with the stone closest to the colour of her eyes... if you don't know the colour of her eyes then you shouldn't bother buying her anything lol ;)

Jimmy James
12-06-2005, 09:49 PM
...let the kitten go and it came running out from the hall, in a little Santa had and a collar with a red bell on.

How'd you manage that? I can only imagine the fit either of my cats would have thrown even as kittens had I tried anything like this. Maybe my cats are just hyper, though.

d-day
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM

:chuckle: - another classic post by bobby h...

Agent51
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
How'd you manage that? I can only imagine the fit either of my cats would have thrown even as kittens had I tried anything like this. Maybe my cats are just hyper, though.

Dude this cat turned out to be pretty damn hyper for it's first year, I swear it got into stuff just because it wasn't supposed to, but it's wicked chill now. It just lays around and sleeps unless you play with it, not more running up walls and sh*t, lol. It was only like 8 weeks old when I got it. It didn't like the hat AT ALL, and the bell collar was too big (it was the smallest they made too, lol) but it really only had to stay on for a few seconds til it came out of the hallway and my girlfriend saw it. As soon as she picked it up the hat fell off, but i'm sure it would have come off even if she didn't pick it up, cuz the kitten HATED it, when we were trying to put it on she'd wiggle her head and liek duck it into her body so we couldn't put the hat on, lol, it was such a chore, but totally worth it.

RunningBackGuru
12-08-2005, 04:48 PM
My girl likes rings. You could get a nice one in that range. Or any other kind of jewelry.

I agree with that.

Jimmy James
12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Dude this cat turned out to be pretty damn hyper for it's first year, I swear it got into stuff just because it wasn't supposed to, but it's wicked chill now. It just lays around and sleeps unless you play with it, not more running up walls and sh*t, lol. It was only like 8 weeks old when I got it. It didn't like the hat AT ALL, and the bell collar was too big (it was the smallest they made too, lol) but it really only had to stay on for a few seconds til it came out of the hallway and my girlfriend saw it. As soon as she picked it up the hat fell off, but i'm sure it would have come off even if she didn't pick it up, cuz the kitten HATED it, when we were trying to put it on she'd wiggle her head and liek duck it into her body so we couldn't put the hat on, lol, it was such a chore, but totally worth it.

:rofl3:

We moved a few months after getting our cats and sent out Halloween themed photo cards with our new address on them because it was around that time of the year. We named the cats Drusilla and Darla, so we dressed them up as vampires with little black capes. I erected a stage to sit them on out of the boxes we moved into the new place and we got the capes on them. They hated those suckers with a passion and tried their best to get out of them. It took an hour or so to get the picture, but it was well worth it. The cards came out very well.

mor911
12-08-2005, 05:33 PM
:rofl3:

We moved a few months after getting our cats and sent out Halloween themed photo cards with our new address on them because it was around that time of the year. We named the cats Drusilla and Darla, so we dressed them up as vampires with little black capes. I erected a stage to sit them on out of the boxes we moved into the new place and we got the capes on them. They hated those suckers with a passion and tried their best to get out of them. It took an hour or so to get the picture, but it was well worth it. The cards came out very well.
He said erected :lol:

Jimmy James
12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
He said erected :lol:

Hey, I love erecting all sorts of things. What man doesn't?

dolphan117
12-08-2005, 07:07 PM

Very true. The stores have run out of 360's, however chicks are evrywhere. One must have priorities in life. ;)

byroan
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Kay jewlers has these weekend deals for rings for $45 that are worth $125-200 dollars.

I'm gonna have to check that out.

Dolphan7
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Spyder you have a lot of good ideas here. Just remember that to her it really does not matter what you get her, as long as she knows that you thought of her. If you put a lot of thought into the gift, and she knows this it makes it much better than a careless "here you go" gift at the last minute. Unique is always a good idea. Girls don't want what everyone else has, and it shows her even more how thoughtful you were. Think outside the box. Think of it as a gift that after all the future christmas's, this is the one she will remember and cherish the most.

Roman529
12-08-2005, 08:14 PM
My older brother gave me a check for $1,000 last Christmas.....I was shocked and very happy but there was no way I could return the favor.....someday maybe I can get him something as good. But it isn't the size of the gift, but the thought that counts. :) This year I got my older brother some gloves, a hat and some neat shawls to deal with the snow here in Colorado. :lol:

spydertl79
12-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Spyder you have a lot of good ideas here. Just remember that to her it really does not matter what you get her, as long as she knows that you thought of her. If you put a lot of thought into the gift, and she knows this it makes it much better than a careless "here you go" gift at the last minute. Unique is always a good idea. Girls don't want what everyone else has, and it shows her even more how thoughtful you were. Think outside the box. Think of it as a gift that after all the future christmas's, this is the one she will remember and cherish the most.
So much for originality...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5064446903&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Dolphan7
12-09-2005, 01:04 PM
So much for originality...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5064446903&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 Nice Selection. :up: