PDA

View Full Version : Astros don't offer Clemens arbitration

BAMAPHIN 22
12-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Roger Clemens came out of retirement two years ago and helped his hometown Houston Astros reach their first World Series. Now that he’s pondering his future again, they won’t wait for his decision.

With Clemens uncertain whether he will pitch again or retire, the Astros declined to offer salary arbitration on Wednesday. The move means the seven-time Cy Young Award winner can’t re-sign with then National League champions before May 1.

“We’ve had two great years, and they were special years,” general manager Tim Purpura said. “The fact of the matter is Roger’s 43 years old ... we’re not talking about somebody in the middle of a great career. We’re talking about somebody who’s at the end of a great career.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10357447/

Clark Kent
12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Come to Boston Roger, finish it off right... Schilling (hopefully recovered), Becks, Clemens? Oh... Jesus Christ that's a nice starting 3. Clement being a #4, and not a #2 should help... Or send his *** away for Abreu. Either way...

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
I think its the Texas Rangers or nothing for Roger.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I think its the Texas Rangers or nothing for Roger.

Nah I don't think he'd do that to the Astros (although I didn't think he'd screw over the Yankees either). I don't think Roger will go back to the AL, he had 2 great years in the NL and he's the type of guy that's in love with his stats.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was signed with the Astros on May 2nd though.

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Nah I don't think he'd do that to the Astros (although I didn't think he'd screw over the Yankees either). I don't think Roger will go back to the AL, he had 2 great years in the NL and he's the type of guy that's in love with his stats.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was signed with the Astros on May 2nd though.

Houston doesn't want him at that price tag. And Roger aint' playing for less than market value.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Houston doesn't want him at that price tag. And Roger aint' playing for less than market value.

Good point about Roger not playing for less than market however what price would it be?

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Good point about Roger not playing for less than market however what price would it be?

No less than $18 mill.

Probably closer to $20 mill and you gotta meet the demands.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
No less than $18 mill.

Probably closer to $20 mill and you gotta meet the demands.

You think that even though he's missing at least a month and a half? Geez.

I still think it could happen. I wouldn't be shocked.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-11-2005, 02:21 AM
I hope General George at least makes a call to show interest, I'd love Roger back!

wazzy
12-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Come back to the Jays ..... I doubt it will happen but what the heck!

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Back to Boston?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255775

According to the article the Sox F.O. contacted Clemens' agents. I'd love to see Roger wear #21 one more time considering he'll probably go into the Hall as a Sox and he didn't leave on the best terms due to Dan Duquette. Eventhough Roger is a first class @sshole in person (I've had a few experiences with him) he's a hell of a pitcher. I don't know if he has a lot left in the tank but I'd love to have him and Schilling team up and teach the young kids (Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, Hansen, and even possibly Clement) how to pitch.

Clark Kent
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Back to Boston?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255775

According to the article the Sox F.O. contacted Clemens' agents. I'd love to see Roger wear #21 one more time considering he'll probably go into the Hall as a Sox and he didn't leave on the best terms due to Dan Duquette. Eventhough Roger is a first class @sshole in person (I've had a few experiences with him) he's a hell of a pitcher. I don't know if he has a lot left in the tank but I'd love to have him and Schilling team up and teach the young kids (Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, Hansen, and even possibly Clement) how to pitch.As I said, come back to Boston, get a WS ring and leave RIGHT! Roger may not have a lot left in the tank, but he's got enough to make an impact.

Jimmy James
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I'd love to see him as a member of the Red Sox again, but I think the really ironic destination would be the Mets.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
If Roger is going to pitch anywhere other then in the state of Texas next year it's going to be in New York. If George gets a wiff that Roger is headed to Boston he will pay him whatever it takes to ensure that doesn't happen!

Clark Kent
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
If Roger is going to pitch anywhere other then in the state of Texas next year it's going to be in New York. If George gets a wiff that Roger is headed to Boston he will pay him whatever it takes to ensure that doesn't happen! At this point, I don't think money will be the biggest factor... Even if it was, we could still outbid you if we had to, just to stop him from going to the yankees. Besides, can Roger play CF?

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 10:33 PM
At this point, I don't think money will be the biggest factor... Even if it was, we could still outbid you if we had to, just to stop him from going to the yankees. Besides, can Roger play CF?

I wouldn't be worried if he went to the Yankees. Clemens isn't a big game pitcher and we all remember the last time he pitched against the Red Sox in the playoffs or his last playoff start.

SMadison29
12-12-2005, 12:47 AM
That would be cool to see him go back to Boston, get him out of the NL Central. I can only imagine a rotation of Clemens, Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, & Clement/Arroyo/Miller. Though health of the big 3 would be a concern but the BoSox could still trade Clement, who I'm sure has good value. I wish the Cubs still had him.

Ray Finkle
12-12-2005, 01:05 AM
BoSox could still trade Clement, who I'm sure has good value. I wish the Cubs still had him.

I'll trade him back to the Cubbies if you want. Give me Scott Williamson and someone else and you got a deal.

Jimmy James
12-12-2005, 01:26 AM
get him out of the NL Central.

You got my attention with this. I wonder if maybe Clemens won't stay in the NL Central if he feels betrayed by the Astros just to spite them.

gonick1
12-12-2005, 01:53 AM
I dunno what to say I've been a clemens guy my whole sports life and I'm just sick,...sick, inside please Roga' PLEASE !!! stay in texas, stay away from the 2 inbread giants in the north east.

GreenMonster
12-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I'll trade him back to the Cubbies if you want. Give me Scott Williamson and someone else and you got a deal.

How low have things gotten. Giving back Clement for Williamson...:lol: :eek: :lol:

Ray Finkle
12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
How low have things gotten. Giving back Clement for Williamson...:lol: :eek: :lol:

Williamson is a personal favorite of mine. And he did pitch pretty well with the Red Sox especially in the 2003 playoffs and during the 2004 season before he got hurt. In fact he was pretty lights out in 2004 pitching 28 innings, 28 Ks and only giving up 4 earned runs. Hell his walks were even down that year. I loved the Williamson trade and wished the Sox would have resigned him eventhough he was always hurt. He had good stuff when healthy and he threw hard too ;)