PDA

View Full Version : Falling prices could speed satellite radio sales

BAMAPHIN 22
12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
For Dan McLain of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, there was a compelling reason to buy a satellite radio receiver: shock jock Howard Stern's looming move off the traditional airwaves. "It's just a show I enjoy. I'm a listener, and my wife (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367538/#)'s a listener," he said.

On Jan. 9, Sirius Satellite Radio is set to boast the arrival of its biggest on-air personality yet in Stern. While consumers may be tempted to sign up (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367538/#) for Sirius or larger rival XM based on ever-expanding programming lineups, falling radio prices may be an even more compelling lure for consumers. Some radios are selling for half the price they commanded last holiday season.

For the companies themselves, the race is on to achieve profitability as they invest (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367538/#) hundreds of millions of dollars in new programming. For the third quarter, both XM and Sirius reported net losses of more than $100 million. Profitability is expected a few years from now as more subscribers sign up.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367538/

Firesole
12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
It's on my X-mas wish list, but I dunno if the wife is gonna go for it or not.

Pagan
12-07-2005, 10:49 PM
It's on my X-mas wish list, but I dunno if the wife is gonna go for it or not.
You can get the XM Roadie for $49 now. ;)

Nappy Roots
12-07-2005, 10:54 PM

how much a month though?

MoFinz
12-07-2005, 10:55 PM
You can get Sirius for $29.....and get better programming cheaper =)

Roman529
12-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Isn't it like $12/month?....I might pay if it was $5/month....seems a little steep when I can get most of the same stuff for free....if I was a trucker always on the road it would be a great deal though.

Pagan
12-08-2005, 08:18 AM
how much a month though?
About $12 a month.

You can get Sirius for $29.....and get better programming cheaper =)
First, no way you can get a Sirius unit for your car for $29. The cheapest they have is like $70. The XM roadie comes with everything needed for car installation for $49.

Second, the president of Sirius - Mel Karmazan - is hinting that Sirius in the near future will NOT be commercial free. They have to let ads in because they f'ed up and signed a washed-up Howard Stern to a HALF BILLION (yes, you read that right) dollar contract, and he's not bringing in enough subscribers to cover that.

Third, XM has far more channels than Sirius, has MLB, as of next year will be exclusive to NHL, and the music channels are and will remain commercial free.

Yea, yea, I know...Sirius has the NFL. I've said this before, I don't know about you but I'm either home or in a sports bar watching the games on Sunday. Hockey and Baseball are played every day, you get to hear ALOT more.

Fourth, with Stern's huge contract, signing Martha Stewart and Richard Simmons of all people to ridiculous contracts also, unless they get a zillion new subscribers Siriuis is in deep crap. And believe me, from what I heard Howard is planning for his shows the only people who are going to want to listen to it are horny teenage boys, and not all of them will be getting satellite. Since Howard hasn't been funny since 1990, I really don't think too many people will pay $12 a month to hear him anymore. Ten years ago maybe, not now.

Finally, if more than one person in your family gets XM they get the family rate of $6 a month.

XM's the better deal.

GRAPEAPE
12-08-2005, 10:00 AM
My wife has XM, and she likes it. She travels alot though so she can listen to a program and not have it Fade in and out. The big differnence to me is the sports coverage. You can find alot of the same music channels, but Sirrus has NFL, and XM only has MLB, you can still get Fox sports radio and ESPN radio, but they don't have rights to cover games. Nothing worse then waiting to hear scores on the radio.

Clark Kent
12-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Siruis has Stern, so that's the one I'm going to get.

TJamesW_phinfan
12-08-2005, 10:52 AM
They signed Simmons and Stewart to big contracts??? What are they burning that special "herbal" inscense in the board room during these decisions?

DirectTV recently replaced their digital music channels with XM channels. I miss the Arena Rock and Classic Rock channels that DTV had and can't seem to find their equivalent on the XM line but still have a lot of rooting around to do maybe I'll find the good ones yet.

The radio choices in my area are sparse at best and I would love more choices but being the broke loser type the monthly fee makes me hesitant even though I think it is worth it.

Pagan
12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
They signed Simmons and Stewart to big contracts??? What are they burning that special "herbal" inscense in the board romm during these decisions?
It's worse than you think...check it out:

Martha Stewart's Snorefest (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051116/sirius_martha_lineup.html?.v=1)

Oh yea...LOTS of people will tune into this! (http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/-sirius-signs-richard-simmons-for-talk-show.html)

:rofl3:

DirectTV recently replaced their digital music channels with XM channels. I miss the Arena Rock and Classic Rock channels that DTV had and can't seem to find their equivalent on the XM line but still have a lot of rooting around to do maybe I'll find the good ones yet.
Arena Rock - The Boneyard, channel 830
Classic Rock - Top Tracks, channel 829 - The 60's, channel 803 - The 70's, channel 804
Opie & Anthony - High Voltage, channel 879. :tongue: :lol:

As far as not being able to afford it for your car. Look into this. I heard that if you have Direct TV, you are considered a subscriber. If you purchase and extra receiver for your car, you might be able to get the family rate of $6.99 a month for your car.

Phin-o-rama
12-08-2005, 11:35 AM
i love sirius

NFL channel is 365 days a year...there is no offseason.

xm has a better punk rock station (fungus i think?) but thats not worth me switching as of yet.....

i think at this point and time either xm or sirius both kickass and instead of being a xm fanboy like pagan, ill just be a satellite radio fanboy and talk down to anyone that still uses FM ... :D

MoFinz
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
About $12 a month.

<<First, no way you can get a Sirius unit for your car for $29. The cheapest they have is like $70. The XM roadie comes with everything needed for car installation for $49.>>

Oh wrong-o Kemosabe. Sirius Sportster or Starmate WITH Car kit for $29 after rebates. Gotta love it

<<Second, the president of Sirius - Mel Karmazan - is hinting that Sirius in the near future will NOT be commercial free. They have to let ads in because they f'ed up and signed a washed-up Howard Stern to a HALF BILLION (yes, you read that right) dollar contract, and he's not bringing in enough subscribers to cover that.>>

He hasnt had his first show yet either. Trust me, im selling more sattelite radio than anything except cellular right now, when he hits the air in January theres a built in buy factor for the man. And Mel may have corporate sponsors, but he wont go commercial, because when he does he opens the door for the FCC to govern.

<<Third, XM has far more channels than Sirius, has MLB, as of next year will be exclusive to NHL, and the music channels are and will remain commercial free.

Yea, yea, I know...Sirius has the NFL. I've said this before, I don't know about you but I'm either home or in a sports bar watching the games on Sunday. Hockey and Baseball are played every day, you get to hear ALOT more.>>

Sirius has both home and away broadcasts of NFL games, NCAA fb and bb, and NASCAR, the second biggest spectator sport next to NFL. Plus, they have Margaritaville, a personal favorite of mine. And Sirius has 162 channels, way more than enough to cover the spectrum

<<Fourth, with Stern's huge contract, signing Martha Stewart and Richard Simmons of all people to ridiculous contracts also, unless they get a zillion new subscribers Siriuis is in deep crap. And believe me, from what I heard Howard is planning for his shows the only people who are going to want to listen to it are horny teenage boys, and not all of them will be getting satellite. Since Howard hasn't been funny since 1990, I really don't think too many people will pay $12 a month to hear him anymore. Ten years ago maybe, not now.>>

Again, speculation on your part....but i listen to it every day. and theres more than just Stern. Stern is just the big push right now.

<<Finally, if more than one person in your family gets XM they get the family rate of $6 a month.

XM's the better deal.>>

Psssst....Sirius offers the same deal on extra receivers :D

Phin-o-rama
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
opie and anthony are supposed to be great

dish network has sirius channels fyi

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I have both XM and Sirius and I cannot remember how I ever lived w/o Satellite radio before. Both are great and are well worth the monthly price.

Pagan
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
i think at this point and time either xm or sirius both kickass and instead of being a xm fanboy like pagan, ill just be a satellite radio fanboy and talk down to anyone that still uses FM ... :D
Hey! Not being a fanboy...I did the research on both, and it just happens that XM is the better bet for your bux.

By all means, ANY satellite is better than terrestrial radio, but you have to think about the big picture. Like I said, Sirius in in deep **** with all the contracts they signed. Unless they get a ton of people signing up, they're going to continue to lose money. You want to buy equipment for something that might actually fold?

Also, do some research on the technology between the two. XM's coming out with better equipment, and way more on the horizon.

Not fanboy, just did the legwork. ;)

Pagan
12-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I have both XM and Sirius and I cannot remember how I ever lived w/o Satellite radio before. Both are great and are well worth the monthly price.
Wow bro..seperate cars, or both in one? How does that work if you have both in one?

Phin-o-rama
12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
lol i just wanted to call you a fanboy :D

hehe ive had my sirius for a year come christmas.....i paid for my year in advance....the thing i really like about mine is i have the car kit and the radio is like a handheld size so i pop it in and out of my car, and have a seperate kit attached to my stereo inside the house...so its good for both places car and house...i know both xm and sirius offer several models like that....its all good

Pagan
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Damn skippy...I have the boombox at work, so when I get here I just pop it out and into the boombox. Man, makes the day go by so fast it's ridiculous. :)

Phin-o-rama
12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
i was looking into the xm on dtv since i have DTV

and what i find disturbing is 2 things

on Directv they left out Fungus which is the punk station

on AOL Radio (features xm channels) they left out Fungus

Fungus is the only reason i would entertain xm over sirius

i know that type of music isn't the most popular but the draw of satellite radio is to achieve a greater selection of music than FM ....so wtf does fungus get left out of everything ?

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Wow bro..seperate cars, or both in one? How does that work if you have both in one?

Seperate cars and in the house. I have XM in one car and the house and Sirius in my other car.

Firesole
12-08-2005, 12:18 PM

I can't hear Stern on XM...or the NFL package

Pagan
12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
i know that type of music isn't the most popular but the draw of satellite radio is to achieve a greater selection of music than FM ....so wtf does fungus get left out of everything ?
That's the problem, they can't possibly put all the channels on DTV, and since that's not one of the more popular ones it gets left out.

I can't hear Stern on XM...
You won't be missing much. :tongue: :lol:

Clark Kent
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
That's the problem, they can't possibly put all the channels on DTV, and since that's not one of the more popular ones it gets left out.

You won't be missing much. :tongue: :lol:Your an Opie and Anthony guy right? Figures, you wouldn't understand great radio :D :rofl3:

Pagan
12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Your an Opie and Anthony guy right? Figures, you wouldn't understand great radio :D :rofl3:
Well, neither would you, seeing as you haven't heard any in 10 years. :rofl3:

Watch Howie's interview with 60 Minutes, even HE admits he sucked for the last ten years!

Way to go, Hoo Hoo...rip your audience off for a decade, then sign a big bux contract to bore them for 5 MORE years! :roflmao:

Can't wait for the "great radio" of uncensored "Fartman" episodes. :rolleyes:

Actually, the great radio will come when Howard grows some balls and starts firing back at O&A. They've been making him look like an jackass for the last year, and he hasn't had the nerve to retaliate.

TJamesW_phinfan
12-08-2005, 02:04 PM
It's worse than you think...check it out:

Martha Stewart's Snorefest (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051116/sirius_martha_lineup.html?.v=1)

Oh yea...LOTS of people will tune into this! (http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/-sirius-signs-richard-simmons-for-talk-show.html)

:rofl3:

Arena Rock - The Boneyard, channel 830
Classic Rock - Top Tracks, channel 829 - The 60's, channel 803 - The 70's, channel 804
Opie & Anthony - High Voltage, channel 879. :tongue: :lol:

As far as not being able to afford it for your car. Look into this. I heard that if you have Direct TV, you are considered a subscriber. If you purchase and extra receiver for your car, you might be able to get the family rate of $6.99 a month for your car.

Gak 24 hours of Martha Stewart! And Richard Simmons scares me.

Thanks for the info on the channels and subscription I'll have to check those out. :)

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I can't hear Stern on XM...or the NFL package

That's hte plusses of Sirius and why I have both. XM has the ACC package so I can get UNC games on radio when they aren't on TV but I have sirius for Howard and the NFL package.

Pagan
12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
In the papers today, XM Roadie 2 is now $29.99. :D

NJFINSFAN1
12-08-2005, 06:25 PM
In the papers today, XM Roadie 2 is now $29.99. :D

What is it a month?

Sorry, did not read the whole thread

Phin-o-rama
12-09-2005, 11:02 AM
go to slickdeals.net search the forums for sirius or xm there are several deals on there that would give u a free receiver after rebate.

UltraDol-Fan
12-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm losing interest in my Sirius radio. I got it when I had an hour commute each way and it was great. Now that I moved closer to work I took it out of my car and put it in my house, I don't use it nearly as much.

Clark Kent
12-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, neither would you, seeing as you haven't heard any in 10 years. :rofl3:

Watch Howie's interview with 60 Minutes, even HE admits he sucked for the last ten years!
Subpar was the term, and it's subpar for his standards, great for everyone else. Still the best radio personality out there, IMO.