PDA

View Full Version : Soriano a Nat

PeaTearGriffin
12-08-2005, 01:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251887

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Apparently the Nats want him to play LF. Yeah let's see how far that discussion goes. In my opinion Soriano will be off the team by July anyway. I'm just glad he didn't end up in Boston.

Expect his power numbers to drop playing 81 games in that ball park and pitchers will pitch around him because there's no one their to protect him although it doesn't matter much because Soriano will swing at the first 3 pitches anyway.

FinsNYanksFan13
12-08-2005, 01:36 AM
I have nothing but respect for Soriano and this is a hell of a deal for the Nats. With that said though if they are planning on moving Soriano to the outfield they have another thing coming to them. He has been on record saying he won't move because at the rate he's going he'll own every offensive record for a second baseman, plus when he hits the open market he'll make much more money putting up the numbers he does at 2nd then playing the outfield (outfielders always put them numbers up but 2nd baseman who do are rare). If they don't want him to be a problem they should play him at 2nd but with Vidro that won't happen. Not sure if this is setting up for the Nationals to make another move but either way they got a very good player in Soriano. I still have his poster on my wall in hopes the Yankees one day get him back. He's one of my favs!

dominizzo
12-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Goood news For the NAts now go get some pitching

ChambersWI
12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm not a fan of this for the Nats. They now have 3 2nd basebam (Vidro and Spivey), and Soriano in the outfield will be a waste of time. He'll help on the offense, but that's it.

IMO they gave up too much. Without Wilkerson, they don't have anybody who can get on base.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I think this is an excellent move for DC. Sledge is trash, so forget him. Wilkerson is overrated. Even though he slumped last year and is probably better than he showed, it can't be blamed on the new pitcher-friendly ballpark, because he hit better at home than on the road!

We'll see how Soriano handles the OF, though. If he hates it and demands to be moved back to 2B, they'll either have to move Vidro or part with Soriano for 75 cents on the dollar.

RWhitney014
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Nats just traded for a big headache.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 01:55 PM

Agreed and for a player who will be gone by July anyway.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM

Nah, these aren't the old Expos.

GreenMonster
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM

I am pretty sure he stays too. He isn't Milton Bradley and should bring a little presence to the lineup in the form of HR's or K's..

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Nah, these aren't the old Expos.

True however Soriano is a FA at the end of the year. I can't see the Nats offering him big money or him wanting to stay in that ballpark which will kill his power numbers. Therefore I don't think the Nats will be in the race by July 31st therefore Soriano will be gone, especially since he won't want to play the OF.

QB2RonnieTD23
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I think this is an excellent move for DC. Sledge is trash, so forget him. Wilkerson is overrated. Even though he slumped last year and is probably better than he showed, it can't be blamed on the new pitcher-friendly ballpark, because he hit better at home than on the road!

We'll see how Soriano handles the OF, though. If he hates it and demands to be moved back to 2B, they'll either have to move Vidro or part with Soriano for 75 cents on the dollar.

Yeah i agree with phun

Note that the Nationals were one of the worst producing offenses in the league last year, certainly a bat like this in the middle of the order will put some fear into the hearts of pitchers. Having him playing LF may be tricky but we'll see what happens, a lot of ground to cover in RFK. It will continue to bring fans to the ballpark though, which helps when they want to get their new stadium which i read is close to being done.

Roman529
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
They added Soriano but lost Wilkerson...kind of a wash....I feel for Soriano if he goes to the outfield.....that is a huge park to cover.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 08:52 PM
For what it's worth, Rob Neyer, whose opinions I greatly respect, thinks the Nats got jobbed in this deal.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 09:06 PM
For what it's worth, Rob Neyer, whose opinions I greatly respect, thinks the Nats got jobbed in this deal.

Why? What were his reasons? (Personally I think this is a bad move for the Nats but I'd like to see what he thinks).

finfansince72
12-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Im not sure just how fair the deal is, but I know the Nats needed a really good hitter and a solid "name" player. I went to a Nats game when on leave last summer and I dont think there was a player hitting over .240 in the lineup and most had under 10 homeruns and pedistrian rbi totals. The team cant hit. They needed a hitter and someone to help sell the team. Its easy to ride a '1st year in a new ballpark high/new team' high but you need some firepower to keep fan interest. The game I was at was tied 1-1 and fans were losing interest because there was like 4 hits all day. Me, I like a good pitching matchup as well as a slugfest but the fans today want phonebooth ballparks and 8 homeruns a game.

Ray Finkle
12-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey here's a shocker Soriano said that he's going to play 2nd base and he won't go to the outfield.

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:15 AM
True however Soriano is a FA at the end of the year. I can't see the Nats offering him big money or him wanting to stay in that ballpark which will kill his power numbers. Therefore I don't think the Nats will be in the race by July 31st therefore Soriano will be gone, especially since he won't want to play the OF.

IF he isn't going to play the outfield who the hell is going to trade for him? He sucks as a secondbasemen. And nobody is going to trade for a guy and give up prospects for a guy who refuses to move to the OF who is also in the final year of his contract when he will walk and play for someone else.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:23 AM
IF he isn't going to play the outfield who the hell is going to trade for him? He sucks as a secondbasemen. And nobody is going to trade for a guy and give up prospects for a guy who refuses to move to the OF who is also in the final year of his contract when he will walk and play for someone else.

I think you're agreeing with me and trying to disagree at the same time. He's not going to move to the OF, therefore it's a bad trade for the Nats. Especially since they'll have him for maybe as long as July.

Soriano has already came out and says he won't go to the OF, so now the Nats have a problem. I agree he sucks as a 2nd baseman.

As for teams that will trade for him, I'm sure there's some value I could see the Mets going after him. Also the Nats didn't really give up prospects to get him to begin with.

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:25 AM
I think you're agreeing with me and trying to disagree at the same time. He's not going to move to the OF, therefore it's a bad trade for the Nats. Especially since they'll have him for maybe as long as July.

Soriano has already came out and says he won't go to the OF, so now the Nats have a problem. I agree he sucks as a 2nd baseman.

As for teams that will trade for him, I'm sure there's some value I could see the Mets going after him. Also the Nats didn't really give up prospects to get him to begin with.

Well its a good move for the Nats in that if they are happy with him at 2B they can afford to pay him the big bucks to play 2B. Get re-teamed with Nick Johnson and maybe be happy on that infield. Throw him back-to-back with Jose Guillen and that lineup isn't totally awful.

If they are getting him with hoping to move him and get some value later this year........then Washington is nuts.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:26 AM
If they are getting him with hoping to move him and get some value later this year........then Washington is nuts.

No one said Jim Bowen was a genius. That's for sure.

PHINATIC13
12-11-2005, 12:27 AM

They must have stock in Tylenol.Last season they pick up Jose Guillen after my LAA let him go for being a "headache".

MikeO
12-11-2005, 12:28 AM
They must have stock in Tylenol.Last season they pick up Jose Guillen after my LAA let him go for being a "headache".

Guillen was a trooper last year though and had a very good year. If he can keep his head on straight he is a hell of a player. And if he ******* just enough not to be a problem and get those outfield fences moved in, then watch out he will have another huge year.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Guillen was a trooper last year though and had a very good year.

I agree plus he played half the year was a bum shoulder. Guillen is a nut job but he's a very good ball player.

PHINATIC13
12-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Guillen was a trooper last year though and had a very good year. If he can keep his head on straight he is a hell of a player. And if he ******* just enough not to be a problem and get those outfield fences moved in, then watch out he will have another huge year.

Yeah I was shocked that no "bad news" came out of DC last season.I actually hated losing Guillen(damn good player) at the end of the season but apparently Mike felt it was best for the Angels to cut ties with him.I never really knew all the facts about him being suspended(Angels) last year.In fact last season when we played the Nats he single handedly killed us(game winning HR):fire:.

Ray Finkle
12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah I was shocked that no "bad news" came out of DC last season.I actually hated losing Guillen(damn good player) at the end of the season but apparently Mike felt it was best for the Angels to cut ties with him.I never really knew all the facts about him being suspended(Angels) last year.In fact last season when we played the Nats he single handedly killed us(game winning HR):fire:.

Apparently he was removed from a game for a pinch runner and he flipped out on Scosia and went nuts in the locker room. Thus he got suspended and shipped out.

finfansince72
12-11-2005, 02:39 AM
I think Robinson can handle Soriano. Hes good with players, he commands a lot of respect. I dont see this being a big problem. The nationals needed a big bat, they got one. If hes not hitting then some of this stuff is an issue, but as long as hes hitting its not a problem.

FinsAreLife
12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251887

o great, more trouble for my atlanta braves:(

FinsNYanksFan13
12-11-2005, 03:13 PM
There's no way Soriano moves to the outfield, no chance at all. He will command more money on the market putting up the numbers he does at 2nd (outfielder who put up his numbers are a dime a dozen) and he has stated numerous times he wants to break all of the offensive records at second base (most are reachable at the pace he's on). After Soriano gets his money next off-season then I might be able to see him move to the outfield but unless the Nationals move Vidro something tells me Soriano might be on the move again!