PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox trade Renteria to Braves

BAMAPHIN 22
12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
The Boston Red Sox gave up on Edgar Renteria just one year after lavishing a four-year, $40 million contract on him, trading the shortstop to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

The move left Boston without a shortstop amid speculation that it will trade Marte to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Julio Lugo. The Braves needed a shortstop after Rafael Furcal signed a three-year, $39 million free agent contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Renteria made the last out for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, when Boston won it all for the first time since 1918. Then, the Red Sox made him the centerpiece of their effort to repeat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10359141/from/RS.4/

Clark Kent
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Isn't Marte one of the top 10 prospects in MLB? KEEP HIM! Lugo for Matre is a ****ing robbery! Find some make shift SS and use him... It's not like Renteria is going to be hard replace anyway... What's Nomar doing these days?

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 02:12 PM
If Lugo for Marte is Robbery, then Renteria for Marte is Robbery. especially considering the Renteria, even with Red Sox paying some of his contract, makes about 5 million more a year than Lugo.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I think most people on this board agree that the Braves got screwed in that deal. But Marte is too good to just spin into Lugo.

Clark Kent
12-08-2005, 02:15 PM
If Lugo for Marte is Robbery, then Renteria for Marte is Robbery. especially considering the Renteria, even with Red Sox paying some of his contract, makes about 5 million more a year than Lugo.Rent for Marte is also a robbery. Rent is garbage. He always had this look of "I'm gonna K, or that ball is going through my legs" on his face.

Keep Marte...

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Isn't Marte one of the top 10 prospects in MLB? KEEP HIM! Lugo for Matre is a ****ing robbery! Find some make shift SS and use him... It's not like Renteria is going to be hard replace anyway... What's Nomar doing these days?

Marte was #5 I believe. He was defintely in the top 10 though. He was ranked higher than Hanley Ramirez who was I believe 11 or 12.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
I think most people on this board agree that the Braves got screwed in that deal. But Marte is too good to just spin into Lugo.

I agree. Apparently the Devil Rays wanted Marte AND another prospect for Lugo. Man is Chuck Lamar still running the team? Thanks Tampa for asking for too much yet again.

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree. Apparently the Devil Rays wanted Marte AND another prospect for Lugo. Man is Chuck Lamar still running the team? Thanks Tampa for asking for too much yet again.

yet again? in the past with Lamar we asked to little and got screwed on every deal.

GreenMonster
12-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Marte was #5 I believe. He was defintely in the top 10 though. He was ranked higher than Hanley Ramirez who was I believe 11 or 12.

Marte was ranked 9 and Hanley ranked 10..

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
yet again? in the past with Lamar we asked to little and got screwed on every deal.

That may be true however when they're offered a Top 10 prospect for a nice player in Lugo why keep asking for more and more until they end up with nothing? They're screwing themselves right now by not pulling the trigger.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Marte was ranked 9 and Hanley ranked 10..

Yeah I just found it and was going to post it. That was according to Baseball America.

According to Baseball Prospects though Marte was ranked 3rd and Hanley was ranked 24th. I guess it just depends on whos doing the scouting.

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 02:32 PM
That may be true however when they're offered a Top 10 prospect for a nice player in Lugo why keep asking for more and more until they end up with nothing? They're screwing themselves right now by not pulling the trigger.

i agree, we definitly should of taken Marte for Lugo.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
If Marte for Lugo is on the table, Tampa would be silly not to grab it and run. Lugo had a 765 OPS last year. That's nice, certainly pretty good for a shortstop, but it's hardly spectacular. Besides, he's just blocking BJ Upton anyway, right?

nyjunc
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Wouldn't it have made more sense to make this deal first then deal Marte to Fla instead of ramirez and have Ramirez play short?

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
If Marte for Lugo is on the table, Tampa would be silly not to grab it and run. Lugo had a 765 OPS last year. That's nice, certainly pretty good for a shortstop, but it's hardly spectacular. Besides, he's just blocking BJ Upton anyway, right?

well compared to the big Free Agent leadoff/SS of Furcals 777 OPS, id say its pretty good for lead hitters.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't it have made more sense to make this deal first then deal Marte to Fla instead of ramirez and have Ramirez play short?

Yes, in theory. In actuality, I think the Sox figured "we've got to get Beckett NOW" and reasoned they'd figure out little things like "who's starting at short" later. Makes sense; Beckett was a very hot name, and if the Sox had dithered much longer, someone else surely would have jumped in the fray.

FaninPatsyLand
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Hanley wouldn't have been ready to be the starting shortstop on opening day, that's something the Marlins are going to find out next year. If we had this hole with Ramirez still in the minors, he wouldn't have been on the opening day roster, and we'd still be faced with the same situation we are in now.

You have to remember that while Hanley might very well turn into an outstanding ballplayer, he struggled offensively in Double A last year. Now you want to throw him into the fire that is Boston, on a team that has championship aspirations? I don't think that's a good idea..

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 04:44 PM

Good point however the Sox had no idea they would be lucky enough to get Marte from the Braves. In my opinion when the Braves lost out on Furcal they got worried and turned to Lugo/Renteria. None of this would have happened if Furcal stayed with the Braves. If the Red Sox waited for Furcal to sign they would have lost out on Beckett.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Hanley wouldn't have been ready to be the starting shortstop on opening day, that's something the Marlins are going to find out next year. If we had this hole with Ramirez still in the minors, he wouldn't have been on the opening day roster, and we'd still be faced with the same situation we are in now.

You have to remember that while Hanley might very well turn into an outstanding ballplayer, he struggled offensively in Double A last year. Now you want to throw him into the fire that is Boston, on a team that has championship aspirations? I don't think that's a good idea..

Again good points. I'd honestly rather have Marte over Hanley as of today. Marte did very well in the minors (although his BA was only around the .280s and showed a lot of power as well as good defense and a strong arm). Hanley struggled at Double A.

Hanley is clearly not ready for the big leagues and even if he was still on the Red Sox he would have been in Triple A or Double A again in 2006. I think Marte isn't ready either and will spend the year in Triple A and getting the nod in 2007.

Clark Kent
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
So what do you guys think about Nomar and the Sox? Defense still isn't great, but where are you going to find someone better (when healthy)?

inFINSible
12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Nomar isn't coming back.

How about Alex Cora platooning with Dustin Pedroia at SS, Loretta at 2B, Lowell at 3B and Huff at 1B after dealing Shoppach, Youklis and Arroyo to Tampa for Huff and Baez?

There's also Pokey Reese, Royce Clayton and Alex Gonzales to consider at SS.

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Nomar isn't coming back.

How about Alex Cora platooning with Dustin Pedroia at SS, Loretta at 2B, Lowell at 3B and Huff at 1B after dealing Shoppach, Youklis and Arroyo to Tampa for Huff and Baez?

:rofl3: says who about the devil rays trade

UCFinfan86
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Nomar isn't coming back.

id perfer Royce Clayton or Pokey. I dont like hte Huff trade. I think we need to keep shoppach, he is gonna play Mirabellis role of catchign wakefield and giving Varitek every 5th day off. Also i like youkilis and arroyo, yuh we need baez but i dont lik ehuff really. I think we could get more for youkilis by trading him to Oakland. We don't really need baez if we can get Linebrink or Otsuka from SD for Wells

FaninPatsyLand
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
We don't really need baez if we can get Linebrink or Otsuka from SD for Wells

If we could somehow get Linebrink for Wells it would be an outstanding trade. However, if we do indeed make this trade, San Diego is insisting on us taking on Woody Williams and that contract. I'm not sure I want any part of that..

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
If we could somehow get Linebrink for Wells it would be an outstanding trade. However, if we do indeed make this trade, San Diego is insisting on us taking on Woody Williams and that contract. I'm not sure I want any part of that..

I might consider it. Linebrink is much better than Ostunka. Taking Woody and his 5 million dollar contract might not be an awful idea. After all the Sox could use someoneto pitch batting pratice.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Nomar isn't coming back.

Loretta actually has more experience as a SS than 2nd baseman, so maybe he could be the new SS if the Sox don't sign Alex Gonzales which they're hot after right now.

As for the Devil Ray trade, keep dreaming. The Rays wouldn't take Marte for Lugo or Milledge, Hanley, Sanchez and Heliman for Baez and Huff. They certainly wouldn't take Shoppack, Youk and Arroyo. They have to be the hardest team in baseball to make deals with.

inFINSible
12-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Loretta actually has more experience as a SS than 2nd baseman, so maybe he could be the new SS if the Sox don't sign Alex Gonzales which they're hot after right now.

As for the Devil Ray trade, keep dreaming. The Rays wouldn't take Marte for Lugo or Milledge, Hanley, Sanchez and Heliman for Baez and Huff. They certainly wouldn't take Shoppack, Youk and Arroyo. They have to be the hardest team in baseball to make deals with.
How about Shoppach, Marte, and Arroyo??

FIN-IN-RI
12-08-2005, 07:23 PM

I'd take on that contract to get Linebrink.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 07:26 PM
How about Shoppach, Marte, and Arroyo??

Probably not. This is Tampa Bay we're talking about. They're probably asking for David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez (with the Red Sox picking up 90 cents on the dollar), Papelbon, Lester, Hansen, Marte, Shoppach and Arroyo.

Yup that bunch of 7 players could possibly get the Red Sox Huff and Baez. :lol:

Now being serious I think the Sox could work out a deal to get Huff by including Youkilis, Shoppach and possible Arroyo but even then I'm sure Tampa Bay will want more. I strongly hope the Sox hold on to Marte. He might be the next David Wright.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I'd take on that contract to get Linebrink.

Me too. 5 million would be nothing especially if you consider dumping Wells' 9 million dollar contract. That way the Sox would only be wasting 4 mill on Woody who would either get released right away or used in a John Halama role (pitching only when the Sox are up by 10 or down by 10).

Roman529
12-08-2005, 08:46 PM
I think the Braves streak of winning the NL East comes to an end this year....they lost their pitching coach Leo Mazzoni....I think he had as much
to do with the Braves streak as anyone. Smoltz can't keep doing it year
after year.....I see the Mets winning the NL East with the Phils 2nd, and
Braves 3rd.....sad to see the Marlins fire sale....Soriano should be a nice
addition to the Nats.

phunwin
12-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Probably not. This is Tampa Bay we're talking about. They're probably asking for David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez (with the Red Sox picking up 90 cents on the dollar), Papelbon, Lester, Hansen, Marte, Shoppach and Arroyo.

Yup that bunch of 7 players could possibly get the Red Sox Huff and Baez. :lol:

Now being serious I think the Sox could work out a deal to get Huff by including Youkilis, Shoppach and possible Arroyo but even then I'm sure Tampa Bay will want more. I strongly hope the Sox hold on to Marte. He might be the next David Wright.

Huff's declined sharply in two straight seasons, and in every major batting stat for a power hitter: average, homers, doubles, RBI, OBP and SLG. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I'd give up for him right now. That's a bizarre trend for a guy who's about to turn 29.

Ray Finkle
12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Huff's declined sharply in two straight seasons, and in every major batting stat for a power hitter: average, homers, doubles, RBI, OBP and SLG. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I'd give up for him right now. That's a bizarre trend for a guy who's about to turn 29.

Personally I'd rather the Sox try to go after Dunn or Texierra (I know both are dreams) instead of Huff.

Nappy Roots
12-08-2005, 09:38 PM

declined sharply? no not at all. he had a very down year this year, but thats it. i dont know where your getting this sharp decline 2 years in a row thing from.

INPHINITY
12-08-2005, 10:10 PM
The Boston Red Sox gave up on Edgar Renteria just one year after lavishing a four-year, $40 million contract on him, trading the shortstop to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

The move left Boston without a shortstop amid speculation that it will trade Marte to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Julio Lugo. The Braves needed a shortstop after Rafael Furcal signed a three-year, $39 million free agent contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Renteria made the last out for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2004 World Series, when Boston won it all for the first time since 1918. Then, the Red Sox made him the centerpiece of their effort to repeat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10359141/from/RS.4/ I must say i was upset at first at the quick decision to trade Rent-a-wreck after just one season. I mean he sucked his first year in St. Louis too but then turnrd it around. However Marte is a big and up & coming player and Renteria has definite problems"socially" which could definitley hurt him in Boston, with all the publicity Red Sox players get there, and i think it did. I will also miss Mira,Mira but welcome Loretta very much he is a great player & i think he'll fit in great in Bean town. There is still alot of moves that are gonna happen & i'm wicked siked to see our team next year!!!GO SOX!!!!