PDA

View Full Version : Paterno Wins Coach Of The Year Award

Nublar7
12-09-2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=9160

Also, Paul Posluszny won the Bednarik award. :)

Penn State captured two of the of the biggest awards at tonight's Home Depot College Football Awards Show, with Joe Paterno earning the Home Depot Coach of the Year and linebacker Paul Posluszny winning the Bednarik Award, presented to the nation's top defensive player.

In his 40th season as head coach, Paterno has led the Nittany Lions to a 10-1 record, a share of the Big Ten Championship and the conference's automatic berth into the Bowl Championship Series. Penn State will clash with ACC Champion Florida State in the 72nd FedEx Orange Bowl on January 3, 2006 in Dolphins Stadium. Penn State is No. 3 in the BCS rankings, as well as the AP, USA Today/Coaches and Harris Interactive polls.

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 12:10 AM
booo

Nublar7
12-09-2005, 12:17 AM
booo
Why boo? He deserves it.

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 12:19 AM
o'leary deserves it more

AirFishOne
12-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Did ya hear what Paterno said to Kirk Herbsteiet (sp)

Paterno: Its good to see someone from Columbus actually speak English.

:D made me and my dad chuckle

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 01:18 AM
He was given the award by people who probably thought he was washed up last year!

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 01:19 AM
i'm just glad mike hass won the Biletnikoff

Marino2Clayton
12-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Congrats for Joe Pa!!!!

Philter25
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Woot. i watched it last night. Man I hope Pos returns next year for Penn State.

DonShula84
12-09-2005, 08:23 PM
i'm just glad mike hass won the Biletnikoff

Who cares what you're glad about........j/k :tongue:

DolphinDevil28
12-10-2005, 05:43 AM
o'leary deserves it more

You are crazy.

Joe Pa DEFINITELY won what he deserved.

kastofsna120
12-10-2005, 06:03 AM
o'leary deserved it more

Alex44
12-10-2005, 06:12 AM
booo

even if he isnt the best coach in the country the man deserved it

the man is 70 something years old and still has the guts to go out there and coach w fire every week

TerryTate
12-10-2005, 07:30 AM
0-11 with no talent
8-3 with no talent

End of Story. O'Leary deserves it. JoePa didn't even come close ot what O'Leary accomplished in terms of what he had to work with. Don't give me the argument that Penn State has had a bad past few years (and then some)...because all of those years were under JoePa.

Alex44
12-10-2005, 07:57 AM
0-11 with no talent
8-3 with no talent

End of Story. O'Leary deserves it. JoePa didn't even come close ot what O'Leary accomplished in terms of what he had to work with. Don't give me the argument that Penn State has had a bad past few years (and then some)...because all of those years were under JoePa.

yes but this is coach of the year not coach of the last few years so Paterno should still be in it regardless of the past few bad seasons he had

The man is 70 something years old and still has the fire to coach a great team week in and week out

He deserves the award

cnc66
12-10-2005, 07:59 AM
the Orangre Metemusal Bowl...loser has to retire...

Alex44
12-10-2005, 08:01 AM
the Orangre Metemusal Bowl...loser has to retire...

I think paterno should retire anyway even if he wins

he's in his upper 70's he could like die on the field or something...id hate to see that

Buddwalk
12-10-2005, 12:32 PM
actually you guys are all wrong charlie weis deserved it despite there two losses that team almost beat usc. But im glad joe pa got it ;)

QB2RonnieTD23
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Way to go Joe Pa....i can see there are a lot of haters out there, but whatever. Penn State is finally back as a big time program and to THIS Lions fan there's no doubt the 78 year old coach deserves it more than O'Leary.

jnewmant
12-10-2005, 01:25 PM
i've got to got with TT and Kast on this one, O'leary took a team that historically has been crap and didn't even win a game last season and guided them to eight wins, that's big, i think paterno won it because of the sympathy vote. People said to themselves the man's almost 80 he dosent have much time left to coach lets give it tohim.

Philter25
12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
i've got to got with TT and Kast on this one, O'leary took a team that historically has been crap and didn't even win a game last season and guided them to eight wins, that's big, i think paterno won it because of the sympathy vote. People said to themselves the man's almost 80 he dosent have much time left to coach lets give it tohim.

Where did he take that team? I forget the final score of the Tulsa game, what happened there? ;)

kastofsna120
12-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Where did he take that team? I forget the final score of the Tulsa game, what happened there? ;)
:rolleyes:

psu had a great recruiting class and everyone knew their defense would be good. UCF had nothing. drop the homerism

Philter25
12-10-2005, 09:55 PM
:rolleyes:

psu had a great recruiting class and everyone knew their defense would be good. UCF had nothing. drop the homerism

Everyone? In ALL the preseason Big10 scouting reports I read, PSU was ranked 5th in the highest ones I read. Michigan, OSU, Purdue, and Iowa were all picked in every article I read to finish over PSU. PSU was picked to have 5 wins this season.

Great recruiting class? We have 4 freshman WRs that moved into starting roles this year. Thats it. Other than the WRs, this is the same exact team from the 2004 season.

Homerism aside, if O'Leary won his conference, it would have been a much closer race for coach of the year. Since he didnt, it was no contest because JoePa did it with a bigger school....

(the funny thing is JoePa IMO doesnt do squat for PSU. His coordinators deserve the award more than he does. He doesnt call the offense or defense and basically the only thing he does during the games is yell at refs for bad calls...... thats all I ever see)

kastofsna120
12-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Everyone? In ALL the preseason Big10 scouting reports I read, PSU was ranked 5th in the highest ones I read. Michigan, OSU, Purdue, and Iowa were all picked in every article I read to finish over PSU. PSU was picked to have 5 wins this season.

Great recruiting class? We have 4 freshman WRs that moved into starting roles this year. Thats it. Other than the WRs, this is the same exact team from the 2004 season.

Homerism aside, if O'Leary won his conference, it would have been a much closer race for coach of the year. Since he didnt, it was no contest because JoePa did it with a bigger school....

(the funny thing is JoePa IMO doesnt do squat for PSU. His coordinators deserve the award more than he does. He doesnt call the offense or defense and basically the only thing he does during the games is yell at refs for bad calls...... thats all I ever see)
i didn't say PSU was predicted to be great, i said their defense was predicted to be very good. i remember seeing a big article on posluzny and those guys in espn the magazine or something, and all the talk was about how joepa got the #1 player in the country in high school

TerryTate
12-10-2005, 10:18 PM

It's all relative....UCF was predicted in a range to have 1-3 wins this year. They are also the 5th youngest team out of 119 D-1 college football teams. There are only 5 seniors (1 WR, 1 TE, 2 DE, 1 LB) that played an integral role in this team this year. To win this much with THAT young of a team certainly says something.

Joe's legendary status is the reason he won this award. Like I said before, O'leary couldnt help much with what he was dealt with. The man had 1 full year of recruiting (he got on board waaay late the year before and then had a heart attack)....Hell, he went 8-2 to wrap up the season following 17 straight losses dating back to the past coaching staff too. 8-4 with NOTHING to work with...period.

TerryTate
12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I also forgot to mention that if I recall correctly, when JoePat was asked about him winning coaching honors, he cast off most of the credit to his staff rather than himself. How hands on do you really think JoePa is at this stage in his career?

BigScuingili
12-10-2005, 11:17 PM
PSU and Paterno deserve the award. Big tunraround, and some say, PSU is possibly the best team in the country. I as well hope Poz returns next year, best LB in the country period.

kastofsna120
12-11-2005, 12:53 AM
and some say, PSU is possibly the best team in the country
i'd love to meet the person who would think that

Philter25
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I also forgot to mention that if I recall correctly, when JoePat was asked about him winning coaching honors, he cast off most of the credit to his staff rather than himself. How hands on do you really think JoePa is at this stage in his career?

FYI:

Thats the reason he gave credit to his staff. The PSU coaching staff makes JoePa and IMO its the staff that won the award....

Philter25
12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
i'd love to meet the person who would think that
Probably the same people who said Miami was the best team in the country a month ago. ;)

kastofsna120
12-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Probably the same people who said Miami was the best team in the country a month ago. ;)
i'd love to meet that person, too. i certainly never said that