PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on the nation's top 10 classes

BAMAPHIN 22
12-09-2005, 11:26 AM
See Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/12/06/newberg.recruiting/1.html

3. Florida

The Gators have been on a roll since their big home win against Florida State. Since the victory they have picked up commitments from defensive tackle Brandon Antwine (Garland, Texas); offensive lineman Jim Barrie (Tampa); tight end Trent Pupello (Tampa); wide receivers Jarred Fayson (Tampa) and Bryan Thomas (Zephyrhills, Fla.); running back Brandon James (St. Augustine, Fla.); OL/DL Lawrence Marsh (Augusta, Ga.); juco linebacker Larry Grant (San Francisco); and cornerback Jacques Rickerson (St. Augustine, Fla.). The week before the game Florida got commitments from wide receiver/safety Jamar Hornsby (Jacksonville, Fla.) and wideout Justin Williams (Folkston, Ga.). Throw in wide receiver Damian Williams (Springdale, Ark.), offensive lineman Carl Johnson (Durham, N.C.), defensive tackle Corey Hobbs (Oviedo, Fla.) and linebacker Dustin Doe (Jasper, Fla.) and you have the makings of an unreal class for coach Urban Meyer. And the Gators aren't even close to being finished.

7. Florida State

Safety Myron Rolle,the nation's top prospect, is headed to Tallahassee. Quarterback/safety D'Vontrey Richardson (Leesburg, Ga.), quarterback Chris Ponder (Colleyville, Texas), safety Anthony Leon (Miami), and tight end Caz Piurowski (Land O'Lakes, Fla.) have also committed. The 'Noles will also re-sign great prospects like defensive tackle Callahan Bright, defensive end Justin Mincey and offensive lineman Matt Hardrick. And of course, FSU will close with a flurry.

Motion
12-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Awesome.

We still need Tebow.

Philter25
12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Actually what impressed me was #1, Texas.

Man this team is going to be good next year. Figure RB Charles is going into his 2nd year, Vince Young might come back for his senior season, and from what I can think they are only losing maybe 4-5 key starters?

If Young returns, win or lose the national championship, you can pretty much put these guys at #1 in the preseason polls.

Motion
12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
If Young returns, win or lose the national championship, you can pretty much put these guys at #1 in the preseason polls.

No doubt

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 01:37 PM
next year's preseason:

1: texas
2: notre dame
3: miami?

Cuban Dave 9
12-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow, no UM or USC...hmmmm

LIQUID24
12-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Good to see UCLA in the top 10. What's up with Pitt being #5, players actually want to play for Wanny?

Motion
12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Good to see UCLA in the top 10. What's up with Pitt being #5, players actually want to play for Wanny?

Apparently. Theres also an article on FOXSports about how well he has been recruiting.

Philter25
12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Good to see UCLA in the top 10. What's up with Pitt being #5, players actually want to play for Wanny? They must not be Dolphins fans. :lol:

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
wannestedt was hired for his recruiting (i.e. "tricking") abilities

BAMAPHIN 22
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM

:lol: :lol: :rofl3:

DonShula84
12-09-2005, 08:03 PM
4. Notre Dame

Surprise, surprise. The Fighting Irish are back in more ways than one. Coach Charlie Weis is hot. Some big-time recruits are headed to South Bend, such as quarterback Zach Frazier (Mechanicsburg, Pa.); running backs James Aldridge (Merrillville, Ind.) and Munir Prince (St. Louis); fullback Luke Schmidt (Jasper, Ind.); wide receivers Richard Jackson (Clermont, Fla.) and Rob Parris (Cleveland); offensive linemen Chris Stewart (Klein, Texas), Eric Olsen (Brooklyn, N.Y.), and Bartley Webb (Springdale, Ark.); cornerbacks Darrin Walls (Pittsburgh) and Raeshon McNeil (Mocksville, N.C.); and safeties Sergio Brown (Maywood, Ind.), Jashaad Gaines (Las Vegas) and Leonard Gordon (Ft. Campbell, Ky.).

I love Charlie Weis

kastofsna120
12-09-2005, 08:44 PM
USC will be top 5 before the year is done. i think some prospects were waiting for the UCLA game before picking, and i think we know now where they're going

miami won't be in the top 10 for a while because of coker

K-train
12-09-2005, 10:09 PM
2. Georgia

The Bulldogs have been stuck at No. 2 since Scout.com unveiled the team recruiting rankings in October. Like Texas, Georgia has been consistent and got off to a fast start. Headed to Athens are quarterback Matthew Stafford (Dallas); offensive linemen Kiante Tripp (Atlanta) and Justin Anderson (Ocilla, Ga.); linebacker Akeem Hebron (Wheaton, Md.); defensive ends Demarcus Dobbs (Savannah, Ga.) and Brandon Wood (Tallapoosa, Ga.); and wide receiver Tony Wilson (Daytona Beach, Fla.). The Dawgs will have recruits like Stafford enrolling early and they will over-sign and have a huge class. They have a chance to catch Texas.

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, where's Miami?

LostInPatsLand
12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I bet Wannstedt will turn out to be a very fine college coach.

tylerdolphin
12-10-2005, 01:47 PM
USC always has an amazing recruiting class because everyone from Cali want to be a Trojan. Florida has a big talent pool, but some want to be canes, some want to be gators, noles

SMadison29
12-10-2005, 02:09 PM

It's well known that both Miami & USC don't get their recruits signed until national signing day because they get the top players at just about every position. Miami is in line to get the #1 OT & #1 G (Sam Young & Andre Smith, respectively) which alone will improve this team greatly. Miami is in the running for 5 of the top 10 receivers (already signed one), & is top choice for #2 CB(ESPN) Jai Eugene.

Miami & USC will both be top 5 when it's all said & done as usual.

Bjorn
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
next year's preseason:

1: texas
2: notre dame
3: miami?

Pending Vince Young's return

DonShula84
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
It's well known that both Miami & USC don't get their recruits signed until national signing day because they get the top players at just about every position. Miami is in line to get the #1 OT & #1 G (Sam Young & Andre Smith, respectively) which alone will improve this team greatly. Miami is in the running for 5 of the top 10 receivers (already signed one), & is top choice for #2 CB(ESPN) Jai Eugene.

Miami & USC will both be top 5 when it's all said & done as usual.

Sam Young could still end up at ND ;)