PDA

View Full Version : PS2 not reading disks.....

Alex44
12-12-2005, 12:52 AM
My PS2 isnt reading disks right

I insert it properly, then it blinks reading disk for a moment, then it stops and the games never come up....

any way I can fix this?

Nappy Roots
12-12-2005, 12:55 AM
i had the same problem. bought a DVD lense cleaner, fixed it right away.

Alex44
12-12-2005, 01:03 AM
i had the same problem. bought a DVD lense cleaner, fixed it right away.

thanks man

anyone else have any suggestions?

12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I would but I think you dissed my pats, just joking use this if the lens cleaner doesnt work

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

I carefully took apart mine wiped a q tip in alcohol swabs and gently wiped the laser a couple times, worked great.

Alex44
12-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I would but I think you dissed my pats, just joking use this if the lens cleaner doesnt work

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

I carefully took apart mine wiped a q tip in alcohol swabs and gently wiped the laser a couple times, worked great.

:lol: thanks

NuttyFin
12-12-2005, 05:10 PM
If you are laying your PS2 on the ground try standing it up.

12-12-2005, 05:11 PM
yup no problem, just make sure the cord that connects the eject and reset buttons doesnt detach from the drive.

Alex44
12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
If you are laying your PS2 on the ground try standing it up.

I actually tried that

It blinked reading disk a little longer but still nothing

UltraDol-Fan
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
when my Xbox does that I just hit it a few times :lol: ... the downside is after a year or so it will stop working like mine did :cry: . Now it only plays like 5 games and the other ones is says disc not recognized.

AquaInferno
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
when my Xbox does that I just hit it a few times :lol: ... the downside is after a year or so it will stop working like mine did :cry: . Now it only plays like 5 games and the other ones is says disc not recognized.

If you REALLY wanna fix that buy a new dvd-rom for your XBox on ebay. If you got a 360, don't waste energy.

Packer Fan
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I actually have that problem now I bought a DVD lense cleaner and nothing happened

mor911
12-14-2005, 06:59 PM
If you REALLY wanna fix that buy a new dvd-rom for your XBox on ebay. If you got a 360, don't waste energy.
This works, My buddy just replaced his Xbox drive for $10 and change.

ohall
12-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Buy an XBOX 360!

thestern
12-15-2005, 03:54 AM
This happens to all disc reading consoles at some point usually ones around the first or second revision of the consoles life. What happens is the calibration of lens is off because of a low voltage setting. The voltage can be adjusted if you can locate the potensiometer on the DVD drive.

However there are two of them and you must adjust the right one. One is has a voltage configuration to allow the lens to read CDs and PS1 games the second is of course for PS2 and DVD media.

If you're not afraid to try this go and read through the disc read error faqs. I've never used them myself since I have done this before in the past, but I'm sure the faqs will walk you through the process better than I ever could.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/915821.html

Be warned that adjusting this setting is a great task on the PS2 because of it's awkward hardware assembly. I wish you good luck.

Alex44
12-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Buy an XBOX 360!

why?

PS3 will be better by far

Untill PS3 is out im fixing my PS2 and using that

as should everyone else not buy into the 360 hype

Oh and thanks for the FAQ stern

Phinz1972
12-15-2005, 08:29 AM
My PS2 isnt reading disks right

I insert it properly, then it blinks reading disk for a moment, then it stops and the games never come up....

any way I can fix this?

Contact Sony via phone and tell them your system is faulty and they will ask you to ship it to them and pay the s&h cost and they will inspect it and remanfracture if possible and mail it back to ya. My buddy did this because his ps2 wouldn't read his harddrive when he bought FinalFantasy11, they sent it back to him and it works like new. I don't know if they do this same type of thing for the slim version or not, so hopefully you have the old make of ps2.

JPhinfan86
12-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Exactly, at work we do just this and it works fantastic. However, make absolute sure you're using 70% Isopropyl alcohol on a no fray q-tip. Do not over saturate the q-tip and do not press to hard. Also keep in mind that there are certain Playstation 2 models that regardless of being dirty or clean will not play blue discs (this does not sound like your issue but nonetheless its a fact :lol: ). If alcohol doesnt do the trick replacing the lens aperature is your next step. At this point your waay better off buying a new PS2 because the laser piece is far more expensive than you'd expect. Good luck.

NOTE: When removing the top of the PS2 (on the older models -- not the slims) be very careful not to damage the lense when moving stuff around. Try one of the DVD cleaners FIRST (its a disc sold at Wal-Mart etc. that has two tiny little brushes on the bottom and has a verbal walkthrough).