PDA

View Full Version : Notebook PC....

inFINSible
12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
I have a Compaq presario notebook R4000....and I can't get wireless internet access.....I've bought a wireless router......and have been through all kinds of set-up help.....Is it possible that this notebook is not set up for wireless??

:dolphins:

WharfRat
12-14-2005, 09:36 AM
does it have a wireless nic?

inFINSible
12-14-2005, 09:44 AM
a wha??

WharfRat
12-14-2005, 09:51 AM
a wireless network card... if it came with the pc...it's probably built in (could be a card that slides into the slot on the side though)

Philter25
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I have a Compaq presario notebook R4000....and I can't get wireless internet access.....I've bought a wireless router......and have been through all kinds of set-up help.....Is it possible that this notebook is not set up for wireless??

:dolphins:

You have the wireless router, thats great, but you need someone on your notebook to PICK UP the wireless internet.

Like Wharf said, you need a wireless network card if your computer doesnt have one. If not, you can get a USB one that plugs into your USB port.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/category.do?catOid=-12980&N=20012961+20012980&c=1

Look there.

FinHeathen
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm fairly certain he has built-in WiFi. I have an R3000 and I have it. There should be a button on the front left of your notebook that has an antenna icon on it. Make sure that's on, as indicated by the blue antenna LED. If that's not there - or anywhere on the PC for that matter, thou art screwed.

UltraDol-Fan
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
If that's not there - or anywhere on the PC for that matter, thou art screwed.

And by screwed he means out some cash for the network card :D

unless he put some squirrels after you...in which case you really are screwed.

FinHeathen
12-14-2005, 11:14 AM
And by screwed he means out some cash for the network card :D

unless he put some squirrels after you...in which case you really are screwed.

Well yeah. I mean, who wants to spend money? Funny you should mention squirrels. Did you know that they don't need WiFi because they can use telepathy to get online? They use part of their brain as a web browser, and another part is used for online gaming.

UltraDol-Fan
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Well yeah. I mean, who wants to spend money? Funny you should mention squirrels. Did you know that they don't need WiFi because they can use telepathy to get online? They use part of their brain as a web browser, and another part is used for online gaming.

:lol:

There was an albino squirrel that lived behind our library on campus at the University of North Texas. We had a vote to make him our secondary mascot but the stupid athletic director didn't want it :mad:

Dolphin1184
12-14-2005, 01:44 PM
It should have built in wireless. Look around your laptop for a button with an "antenna" symbol. I have the R3000Z and it has wireless.

byroan
12-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Push the antenna button next to the volume keys.

WharfRat
12-14-2005, 01:48 PM
If not, you can get a USB one that plugs into your USB port.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/category.do?catOid=-12980&N=20012961+20012980&c=1

Look there.

You can also use a PCMCIA card.... of which I have a couple extras if you need one and want to save a few $$....

GreenMonster
12-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm fairly certain he has built-in WiFi. I have an R3000 and I have it. There should be a button on the front left of your notebook that has an antenna icon on it. Make sure that's on, as indicated by the blue antenna LED. If that's not there - or anywhere on the PC for that matter, thou art screwed.

I too have a R3000 and if you have a 4k you have wireless.. Goto your network connections and look there for a wireless connection. Right click on it and turn it on an it should work.

Buddwalk
12-14-2005, 04:04 PM
press start, go to network connections , and try and find the wireless network if you can you dont have a wireless card

Roman529
12-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I have been able to connect to WiFi networks in the libraries here.....does anyone know how much T-Mobile charges to hook up to their WiFi networks at Starbucks?....you always see the nerds and yuppies in there surfing the net....just wondering what they charge you. It should be FREE damnit. :mad: :yell: