PDA

View Full Version : Any Golfers on here?

bg34
12-14-2005, 06:57 PM
How many play golf and if so, what's your handicap, what kind of clubs do you play and why?
For me,
Handicap - 4
Driver - Callaway FT-3
Other Woods - Callaway Steelhead Plus strong 4, Callaway heavenwood
Irons - Titleist 735cm
Wedges - Cobra Trusty Rusty 50,57,60 degrees
Putter - Scotty Cameron futura phantom mallet 2
Balls - Pro V1

I've hit Callaway woods since I started so I'm kinda loyal to them. Same with Titleist although I just got those irons (some are still in plastic). And those Cobra wedges (don't make them anymore) can spin the hell out of a pro v1.

Anyone else? Just curious??

FinsNCanes
12-14-2005, 07:23 PM
****..I try man. I don't have my own set but my buddy works at a country club so we golf for free. Good times but I can't seem to hit anything that isn't on a tee and my drive has a nasty slice. Guess it doesn't help a whole lot when you're ****ed up though.

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:20 PM
I work at a golf course so I play for free (a fairly nice course) and I get on for free at any course around here. I just started playing a few months ago but I've gotten a lot better really fast.
I use a Taylormade R580 Driver
Cheap 3-7 woods (Yea, I know, a guy who carries a 7 wood, but I can be playing horrible and I can still hit a solid 7 wood. My 7 wood is my savior)
Adams Idea Irons 3-P with Hybrid 3&4
Titleist Sandwedge
Odyssey Rossie II Putter
Balls: I prefer Pro V1X's or Bridgestone B330's but I also play Wilson Smart Cores and other balls I find at work.

My handicap is around 20 but falling very fast. My girlfriend is a 6 Handicap from the mens tees (She is frickin awesome).

bg34
12-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I always gotta have my beer when I'm out there. I used to be serious about it, but now I just have fun.

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:23 PM
How many play golf and if so, what's your handicap, what kind of clubs do you play and why?
For me,
Handicap - 4
Driver - Callaway FT-3
Other Woods - Callaway Steelhead Plus strong 4, Callaway heavenwood
Irons - Titleist 735cm
Wedges - Cobra Trusty Rusty 50,57,60 degrees
Putter - Scotty Cameron futura phantom mallet 2
Balls - Pro V1

I've hit Callaway woods since I started so I'm kinda loyal to them. Same with Titleist although I just got those irons (some are still in plastic). And those Cobra wedges (don't make them anymore) can spin the hell out of a pro v1.

Anyone else? Just curious??
I cant stand Titleist Irons and my favorite Wedges are Clevelands. Anyone can spin the hell out of a prov1, I spun a Top Flite back about 10 feet on a flat green before with a 9 iron, I was pretty proud of that.

bg34
12-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Damn! she's a 6 from the men's tees, that's awesome! No shame in carrying a 7 wood either, I put one in my bag from time to time.

bg34
12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
I cant stand Titleist Irons and my favorite Wedges are Clevelands. Anyone can spin the hell out of a prov1, I spun a Top Flite back about 10 feet on a flat green before with a 9 iron, I was pretty proud of that.

Once you get your handicap down to single digit, you may change your mind about Titleist irons. What's your best round so far in the short time you've been playin? Was it that new top-flite tour ball? That is a great ball, kind of like a poor man's prov1 therefore i play them alot too, lol.

N-A
12-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I've only been playing seriously for one year. Best round was a 94 (I typically shoot 95-100). I play with a cheap set of Spaldings with graphite shafts but I'm buying a set of nice irons (not sure what) before the season starts again in March and I'm definitely getting a membership and some lessons this year.

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Once you get your handicap down to single digit, you may change your mind about Titleist irons. What's your best round so far in the short time you've been playin?
40 for 9 holes, 86 for 18

That 40 was last week, I had 4 three putts, I was so mad bc I could have easily shot par if I took it seriously. I was 4 over through 5 so I stopped caring and then I started hitting every green.

Both at Lexington Oaks (Kind of tough, the 2nd hole is hell.) From whites (normal tees) its about 180 yards over water onto a VERY protected green and its about 210 over water from blue (Championship).
http://www.lexoaks.com/GolfCourse.asp

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Once you get your handicap down to single digit, you may change your mind about Titleist irons. What's your best round so far in the short time you've been playin? Was it that new top-flite tour ball? That is a great ball, kind of like a poor man's prov1 therefore i play them alot too, lol.
If I get really good then I plan to get some KZG blades, my best friend's grandpa makes them.

bg34
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Sure must be nice to still be playing golf this time of year, it was 28 here today :lol:

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Sure must be nice to still be playing golf this time of year, it was 28 here today :lol:
If you come down to Florida you have to play either World Woods, Champion's Gate, or Ocean Hammock. Actually, there are a lot of less known courses that are really cool, The Dunes is an old bomber range, so it has HUGE bunkers. Lake Jovita is just NICE, Q School was there a few weeks ago. and This course in Brooksville just got two new holes out of an old quarry, so you basically hit off a cliff!

bg34
12-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm used to hitting off cliffs (I live in the mtns, lol), we have lots of courses with MAJOR elavation drops and stuff like that. I want to play Sawgrass sometime soon, that's for sure. I think I'm going to the ACC tournament in March so I will definitely be bringing my sticks!

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm used to hitting off cliffs (I live in the mtns, lol), we have lots of courses with MAJOR elavation drops and stuff like that. I want to play Sawgrass sometime soon, that's for sure. I think I'm going to the ACC tournament in March so I will definitely be bringing my sticks! If you're coming to Tampa drop me a PM.

FinsNCanes
12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
To give you an idea of how bad I am me and my buddy bought 50 balls and came back with 2. Was funny though cause I went to hit the ball out of hte rought and it popped straight up and right back into the same spot. Pretty damn funny when you're all lit.

bg34
12-14-2005, 10:01 PM
To give you an idea of how bad I am me and my buddy bought 50 balls and came back with 2. Was funny though cause I went to hit the ball out of hte rought and it popped straight up and right back into the same spot. Pretty damn funny when you're all lit.

:lol: We've all been there.

spydertl79
12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I have an unlimited supply of golf balls (cart attendent is the best job ever). Some guy goes diving for balls and gives me as many as I want.

bg34
12-14-2005, 10:12 PM
I've only been playing seriously for one year. Best round was a 94 (I typically shoot 95-100). I play with a cheap set of Spaldings with graphite shafts but I'm buying a set of nice irons (not sure what) before the season starts again in March and I'm definitely getting a membership and some lessons this year.

Addictive, isn't it!

Timmy54
12-15-2005, 02:27 AM
i am decent golfer (played in college for Cambell University) i am right now a 7 handicap (dont play enough with this thing called a job)

lets see driver: taylor made 580R 9.5 loft
3 and 5 wood: callway big bertha (had for a while)
hybrid 2 iron: titleist
irons: titleist 981 dci's
sand wedge: titleist volkery
putter: ping isopur2 (had for a while)
bag: leather staff bag with name
or walking bag from college

Dolphin1184
12-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Main Set:
Driver: Titleist 983K with T-speeder stiff shaft (Though I may switch back to my Titleist 975J)
Fairway woods: Callaway Steelhead + 3 and 5 wood with regular shafts
3-PW irons: Macgregor 1025C VIP irons
SW: Macgregor VIP SW
LW: Clevelend 900 gunmetal 60*
Putter: Carbite ZG Mallet
Ball: Depends.. Titleist ProV1x (when I can get them recycled), Nike One Platinum, Nike Super Soft. right now
I used to have a Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport classic putter but somebody stole it :(

GRAPEAPE
12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
13 hdcp

Driver: Callaway Great big bertha 9.5
Fairway wood:(finally bought one last year)callaway steelhead 3W
Irons:TaylorMade RAC
Wedges: 56, 60, 64, Cleveland 900
putter: Odessy DFX mallett
Ball: PROV1 when I can afford them, but mostly Callaway Blues
Never had to use a 3 wood before this year, I tore rotator cuff the summer before, and I can't hit the long irons anymore, I was hitting my 3I about 235, now I am lucky to get 200, and then there is the push to the right that I have developed. The wife won't let me get a new set of Irons until I go to the doctor about my shoulder so i guess i am going to have to suck up the pride and go.

UltraDol-Fan
12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I worked as a cart attendant through college at a Troon course. It was great, I recommend it to anyone who can do it and wants to get into golf. Nothing will get you better faster than spending all day with golfers, especially being able to watch all the goon old men that go out there and they're their good.
Right now I'm about a 18 handicap.
Driver: Cobra 440
Mizuno Blue Rage 3 Wood 13 degree
Mizuno Blue Rage 5 Wood 18 Degree
Taylor Made V Steel 7 Wood 21 Degree (Yes it is my favorite club :tongue: )
Taylor Made Firesole Irons
Ping Wedges, 52 and 56
Taylor Made Rossa Putter

When I played every day at the course I was better, but I haven't been able to play as much since I got a real job :cry:

bg34
12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Main Set:
Driver: Titleist 983K with T-speeder stiff shaft (Though I may switch back to my Titleist 975J)
Fairway woods: Callaway Steelhead + 3 and 5 wood with regular shafts
3-PW irons: Macgregor 1025C VIP irons
SW: Macgregor VIP SW
LW: Clevelend 900 gunmetal 60*
Putter: Carbite ZG Mallet
Ball: Depends.. Titleist ProV1x (when I can get them recycled), Nike One Platinum, Nike Super Soft. right now
I used to have a Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport classic putter but somebody stole it :(

How do you like those Macgregor irons? A friend of mine is looking at them but he hasn't demo/hit them yet.

bg34
12-15-2005, 05:39 PM
i am decent golfer (played in college for Cambell University) i am right now a 7 handicap (dont play enough with this thing called a job)

lets see driver: taylor made 580R 9.5 loft
3 and 5 wood: callway big bertha (had for a while)
hybrid 2 iron: titleist
irons: titleist 981 dci's
sand wedge: titleist volkery
putter: ping isopur2 (had for a while)
bag: leather staff bag with name
or walking bag from college

My cousin went to Campbell, he kept telling me about their course, Keith Hills? or something like that. He said it was awesome, I never made it down there though.

bg34
12-15-2005, 05:41 PM

I meant more like with chipping around the greens, with those cobra's it's two hops and then stop on a dime.

spydertl79
12-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I worked as a cart attendant through college at a Troon course. It was great, I recommend it to anyone who can do it and wants to get into golf. Nothing will get you better faster than spending all day with golfers, especially being able to watch all the goon old men that go out there and they're their good.
Right now I'm about a 18 handicap.
Driver: Cobra 440
Mizuno Blue Rage 3 Wood 13 degree
Mizuno Blue Rage 5 Wood 18 Degree
Taylor Made V Steel 7 Wood 21 Degree (Yes it is my favorite club :tongue: )
Taylor Made Firesole Irons
Ping Wedges, 52 and 56
Taylor Made Rossa Putter

When I played every day at the course I was better, but I haven't been able to play as much since I got a real job :cry:
I love being a cart attendant, so many benefits and really good pay for hgh school. I prob average 12.00 per hour.

spydertl79
12-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I meant more like with chipping around the greens, with those cobra's it's two hops and then stop on a dime.
Yeah, my gf has cobra wedges too. Those do put a nice spin on the ball.

Dolphin1184
12-15-2005, 08:29 PM
How do you like those Macgregor irons? A friend of mine is looking at them but he hasn't demo/hit them yet.

I absolutely love them. If you like light irons that are relatively forgiving and give great feedback (not to mention look beautiful too), these are the perfect clubs.

Buddwalk
12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
ive been known to play a mean game of miniature golf if ice cream is involved :tongue:

spydertl79
12-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Changed my grip and setup today. It was rough but I can tell a huge difference in power and consistency. Maybe 500 more balls and I'll have it down.

NaboCane
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I always gotta have my beer when I'm out there. I used to be serious about it, but now I just have fun.

Hey, if you manage a 4 HC and still have fun, you're a good man. The really good golfers I know are so self-involved that they're impossible. Every little mistake is the end of their world, and even when they make a good shot they'll tell you how they could have hit it better.

Me, I've always gone for the fresh air, the scenery and of course, the beer.

My clubs are a set of Big Berthas from '96, good clubs but a tad outdated, as is my driver, a TaylorMade from a few years ago.

But as soon as I'm walking without pain (had knee replacements 4 months ago) I'm taking lessons. Then I'm getting a TaylorMade R5, then a set of CG11 wedges, and finally a set of Ping G2 irons.

My goal is to be a scratch golfer or close to it by the end of '06.

bg34
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey, if you manage a 4 HC and still have fun, you're a good man. The really good golfers I know are so self-involved that they're impossible. Every little mistake is the end of their world, and even when they make a good shot they'll tell you how they could have hit it better.

Me, I've always gone for the fresh air, the scenery and of course, the beer.

My clubs are a set of Big Berthas from '96, good clubs but a tad outdated, as is my driver, a TaylorMade from a few years ago.

But as soon as I'm walking without pain (had knee replacements 4 months ago) I'm taking lessons. Then I'm getting a TaylorMade R5, then a set of CG11 wedges, and finally a set of Ping G2 irons.

My goal is to be a scratch golfer or close to it by the end of '06.

Hope you have a speed recovery! Those G2's are sweet. I used to be like you described all up until this past year. I got my handicap down to 1 and was always pissed off unless I shot under par. I really had to take a step back and realize it's just a game. I mean, I had "aspirations" but they are no longer. I wasn't having any fun and probably wasn't any fun to play with. So I've really been trying to just go out, have fun, like you said..enjoy the scenery (cart girls, too), and shoot whatever the hell I shoot, lol. I think I can play to a 4 next year and be able to do that.

NaboCane
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Hope you have a speed recovery! Those G2's are sweet. I used to be like you described all up until this past year. I got my handicap down to 1 and was always pissed off unless I shot under par. I really had to take a step back and realize it's just a game. I mean, I had "aspirations" but they are no longer. I wasn't having any fun and probably wasn't any fun to play with. So I've really been trying to just go out, have fun, like you said..enjoy the scenery (cart girls, too), and shoot whatever the hell I shoot, lol. I think I can play to a 4 next year and be able to do that.

Exactly, good for you! What's the point of taking up a leisure-time activity and making as stressful as work? :goof:

Tell you a story: a couple years ago I was in a best-ball tourney with some guys from the company...a bunch of cool guys for the most part, but then thre was this director of sales, who was the most plastic, greasy-slick individual you could meet - but a scratch golfer. Needless to say, I was put in a cart with him.

We're going along, me as usual, more into the rough than the fairways, and we come to a par 5, double-dogleg left. He's up first and drives just short of the first bend. the other guys have bad shots. I come up and for once, I caught it sweet - I have a lot of power, just don't channel it right most of the time.

My drive goes about 290, about 25-30 yards past jerkboy's, on the right edge of the fairway, in perfect position for a 3-wood to the approach. What do you think jerkboy does? If you said he decided he was going to use one of our 2 mulligans for the tourney right then, you're right.

He tee'd up and whaled it past my ball, but hooked it because he swung too hard and was on the left edge of the fairway. Then he went to his ball, only to find that the other 2 guys were using my shot. So he had to pick up his wasted mully and come drop by me. Jerk.

That's precisely the kind of person I refuse to play with anymore. I go to have fun, and if I do well, good, if I don't the world won't end.

bg34
12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Man, what a jerk! I never got that bad, lol.

GRAPEAPE
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Hope you have a speed recovery! Those G2's are sweet. I used to be like you described all up until this past year. I got my handicap down to 1 and was always pissed off unless I shot under par. I really had to take a step back and realize it's just a game. I mean, I had "aspirations" but they are no longer. I wasn't having any fun and probably wasn't any fun to play with. So I've really been trying to just go out, have fun, like you said..enjoy the scenery (cart girls, too), and shoot whatever the hell I shoot, lol. I think I can play to a 4 next year and be able to do that. I used to be pretty bad about this kind of stuff, But the last 4 years I have mellowed and can play to have fun. I try to walk 9 a couple times a week, when I am by myself I try to score as well as I can. I still get diappointed with myslef If I knew I made a poor judgement or rushed and didn't think first. But I am now able to go out on a saturday afternoon and play with some friends and actually enjoy it. If your in a scramble for work, or just to play in a scramble, it's just that a scramble, YOU don't have to play your team does. It took me a long time to get to this point. I wish I could play year round like some of you guys do. More time to mellow out:lol:

NaboCane
12-16-2005, 04:10 PM
I used to be pretty bad about this kind of stuff, But the last 4 years I have mellowed and can play to have fun. I try to walk 9 a couple times a week, when I am by myself I try to score as well as I can. I still get diappointed with myslef If I knew I made a poor judgement or rushed and didn't think first. But I am now able to go out on a saturday afternoon and play with some friends and actually enjoy it. If your in a scramble for work, or just to play in a scramble, it's just that a scramble, YOU don't have to play your team does. It took me a long time to get to this point. I wish I could play year round like some of you guys do. More time to mellow out:lol:

I can play year-round...with good rain gear! :lol:

spydertl79
01-23-2006, 12:21 AM
this thread died?

I was wondering if anyone on here wants to buy a used set of mp33s in good shape? if not then theyre ebay bound. PM me if interested.

P.S. My handicap is down to a 16 and I am still improving.

UltraDol-Fan
01-23-2006, 10:52 AM
cool, MP33s are nice. I love Mizuno clubs. If your hanicap is that high I'm surprised you were using Mizuno blades. They are VERY hard to hit. I just got a new set of the 2006 model Big Bertha irons. They are sweeeeet!

mixmaster_matt
01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I play when I can, I used to work at a Country Club but don't anymore so there goes free golf. i usually play on the weekdays after 2 b/c it is so cheap to play at that time down here but not on the weekends. I have a Adams Golf GT3 driver, some no name 3 wood that I can hit like a monster, a Nike Fairway rescue iron, which is an amazing club, Adams Golf 3-PW Tight Lie Irons, a Cleveland Loft Wedge, and a Wilson putter.

Oh yeah, and ball of choice is Callaway Warbirds, and my bag is a Callaway leather Cart Bag that I got while working at my country club, we switched to a Nike rental sponsor so they gave me this $300+ bag that they usually sell to members.

bg34
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
this thread died?

I was wondering if anyone on here wants to buy a used set of mp33s in good shape? if not then theyre ebay bound. PM me if interested.

P.S. My handicap is down to a 16 and I am still improving.

It must be nice to play year round. I did get to play last weekend on thurs and fri..shot 70, 72. I was very pleased since it's January and the course was in bad shape.

trate121hb
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
i shoot in the 90's

play with the cleveland launcher and rac os 2 irons....

love golf....what a gift from god

Roman529
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I play about 4-5 times a year here in Colorado...I think my best score ever was a 92...if I break 100 I am having a good day. My drives are sweet....250+ yards at high altitude....mainly straight but occasionally I fade the ball left to right. I just suck with my 2nd-5th shots to try and get it on the green and then try to 2 putt or less if possible. Every now and then I will get a birdie and that makes my entire day. I don't get too serious about it and mainly like the exercise and drinking beers between swings with my buds. :)

bg34
01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I play about 4-5 times a year here in Colorado...I think my best score ever was a 92...if I break 100 I am having a good day. My drives are sweet....250+ yards at high altitude....mainly straight but occasionally I fade the ball left to right. I just suck with my 2nd-5th shots to try and get it on the green and then try to 2 putt or less if possible. Every now and then I will get a birdie and that makes my entire day. I don't get too serious about it and mainly like the exercise and drinking beers between swings with my buds. :)

That's what I'm going to work on this year, not taking it so seriously.

Dubfire
01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Shoot in the 90's also. Best is an 84.

Play Cleveland Irons and Wedges.
Ping Putter and Lancher 400 Driver by Cleveland.
Woods are Callaway's.

Timmy54
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
My cousin went to Campbell, he kept telling me about their course, Keith Hills? or something like that. He said it was awesome, I never made it down there though.

yes keith hills was great for a home course. we knew all the local bounces and such and had a lot of fun there.