PDA

View Full Version : Study: 11M U.S. Adults Can't Read English

BAMAPHIN 22
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
About one in 20 adults in the U.S. is not literate in English, meaning 11 million people lack the skills to handle many everyday tasks, a federal study shows.

From 1992 to 2003, adults made no progress in their ability to read sentences and paragraphs or understand other printed material such as bus schedules or prescription labels.

The adult population did make gains in handling tasks that involve math, such as calculating numbers on tax forms or bank statements. But even in that area, the typical adult showed only enough skills to perform simple, daily activities.

Perhaps most sobering was that adult literacy dropped or was flat across every level of education, from people with graduate degrees to those who dropped out of high school.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1155&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20051215%2F1629572685.htm&sc=1155

darkmistress
12-15-2005, 06:27 PM
this does not surprise me... and it's not just the U.S.

FinsAreLife
wow, learn somethign new everyday....

FinsAreLife
this does not surprise me... and it's not just the U.S.

actually it doesnt surprise me that there are many people like that, i wasnt expecting numbers that high, but im not completely shocked....

spydertl79
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm going to pass on this opportunity to make an immature George W Bush joke. Although unsaid, I'm sure everyone can get the picture.

Dolphin1184
12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
11 million out of about 300 million people. That still makes the Literacy rate 97%. Still, Japan's literacy rate is 99%.

FinHeathen
12-16-2005, 07:39 AM
I have an idea that should put things back at %100. What we do, see, is get everyone who can't read to march in a line towards the mouth of a giant meat grinder - we'll tell them that there's something they want in there.. pheasant, or what have you - but we'll put a sign up right before they'd fall that says "Psyche! This is actually mortally dangerous!". See, with the sign, we'd be all like "What? We tried to warn them.", which would hopefully placate the granola-eating hippies who think we shouldn't explode the illiterates. Then, to not let anything go unused, we use the ground up illiterates to.. I don't know.. feed the elderly, or the school kids or something. The best part is, I don't have to worry about offending any of them by writing this.

miamikid92
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I have an idea that should put things back at %100. What we do, see, is get everyone who can't read to march in a line towards the mouth of a giant meat grinder - we'll tell them that there's something they want in there.. pheasant, or what have you - but we'll put a sign up right before they'd fall that says "Psyche! This is actually mortally dangerous!". See, with the sign, we'd be all like "What? We tried to warn them.", which would hopefully placate the granola-eating hippies who think we shouldn't explode the illiterates. Then, to not let anything go unused, we use the ground up illiterates to.. I don't know.. feed the elderly, or the school kids or something. The best part is, I don't have to worry about offending any of them by writing this.

:lol: :lol:

King Nate
12-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Me flunk English? That's unpossible!

Clark Kent
12-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Me flunk English? That's unpossible!Haha, Ralph is awesome.

RunningBackGuru
12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Me flunk English? That's unpossible!

Haha, I remember that quote. Ralph is hilarious. :lol:

SkapePhin
12-17-2005, 10:20 PM
WTF? How does one get a graduate degree without the ability to read?

NaboCane
12-17-2005, 10:38 PM
WTF? How does one get a graduate degree without the ability to read?

Books on tape.